Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
sunblock
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
anomalyfiend
5% products discount

Tue May 11, 2004 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
is there really a difference between an SPF 30 and 40 or 45? or is it all just hype? thats what ive heard. also, what are your favorite sunblocks that wont clog pores and are good coverups(and also dont include vitamin a)? anyone know anything about Coppertone Sunblock Waterproof Lotion SPF 45?
abighill@aol.com
5% products discount

Wed May 12, 2004 2:38 am      Reply with quote
After years of not using sunblock, because I always broke out, I now use DDF organic sunblock spf30, and it is fantastic, I've been using it for 6 weeks and not a hint of a reaction.
Mabsy

Wed May 12, 2004 5:08 am      Reply with quote
I would say that unless your job involves being outside in the harsh sun for many hours, then SPF30 or SPF50 won't make a difference to you. I'm really liking the Skinceuticals SPF30 (Ultimate UV Defense) at the moment.

Mabsy
Skin Addict
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 12, 2004 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
I get hyperpigmentation along w/ sensitive skin that burns very easily. I love Photoderm SPF 100. I know people say anything after 20 is hype, but I can definitely say that I've seen a difference in the level of protection. I used to still get brown spots using an SPF 30 and wearing a hat. I had to stand in line outside in the middle of the afternoon a couple weeks ago in bright sun wearing the SPF 100 and had no problems for the first time!
bbiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 12, 2004 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
The highest SPF I have ever come across was 60, but not 100. Shock !I really am wondering how is the texture, is it greasy? My experience tell me that the higher the SPF, usually, the more greasy it comes Wink .. I cannot wear high SPF on my face therefore! Anyway.. I am currently using the Skinceutical 30, not bad, not my favourite though! but I agree with Mabsy, unless you need to expose to sun for exceptionally long hours .. it makes no big difference anything higher than 30 Laughing
aussie_guy
5% products discount

Wed May 12, 2004 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
I usually use Ti-Silc Sheer SPF 45 (from Procyte) and I find that it has a good consistency and tint.

Quote:
I love Photoderm SPF 100.

I didn't know they made SPF 100. Wow. I've got to check this out. My mum is going to be excited to try it out.
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 15, 2004 11:10 pm      Reply with quote
I think the highest spf I have seen is spf 120 in Japan!
Jadeeyes

Sun May 16, 2004 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
I have never heard of the one with an SPF120, but I know that Photoderm has an SPF 100 with a PPD of 31(Persistent Pigment Darkening - the European UV filter rating) which is the highest, that I know of, right now. Even though it has an SPF100 it doesn't mean that will give you 100% coverage. No sunscreen, at least for now, will do that. It is very important to use a sunscreen with at least an SPF 30 since most of people won't apply enough, thus decreasing it's efficiency - an SPF30 will become an SPF 20 or even 15.

Here is excerpt from another website:
"Most people apply only a small fraction of the amount of sunscreen needed to achieve the SPF rating of their applied product. One reason that sunscreens are insufficiently applied is that there is no appropriate guideline on the product label. In the USA, SPFs are tested at an applied thickness of 2 mg/cm2. About 35 ml, or 4 oz, is required to cover the average adult body. This application thickness is roughly equivalent to a little more than half a teaspoon for each arm, the face, and the neck, and a little more than a teaspoon for each leg, the chest, and the back. A higher application rate results in increased protection.

The relationship between effective SPF and the amount of sunscreen applied is not linear. Using only half the proper amount (1 mg/cm2) of an SPF 25 sunscreen yields a measured SPF much less than half of 25 or of only 7.5. This amount is only marginally more protective than sunscreens labeled SPF 15 and SPF 8 when the same quantity is applied. Furthermore, skin is not a flat surface, but is made up of cavities and crests and if an insufficient amount of cream is applied, it has a tendancy to be localised in the cavities leaving the crests unprotected. If only a small quantity is applied then this uneven coverage will be exaggerated.

Because the typical consumer does not approach this application rate, some dermatologists recommend sunscreens with SPF 30+ for everyone, particularly for those who are highly exposed. Hats, protective clothing, and shade seeking behavior especially between 10 AM and 2 PM are also advisable for outdoor activities."

Here is a great link:
http://www.basiaandcarol.com/Sunscreens

Julia
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:27 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |