Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Mascara Primers - I need convincing
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
O.k., I've had it! Smile Do I really need to add another step to my beauty regimen?

I've tried dozens of mascaras over the years looking for the perfect one. By Perfect, I mean a mascara that doesn't smudge, flake or turn your lashes to concrete. Also one that thickens and adds a bit of length. Also one that cleanses off easily enough not to pull some lashes with it. Most mascaras give you one or two characteristics but lack the others.

I tried Blinc and found it way too thin and then someone said "use the primer" and now there are lots of mascaras sold with primers on one end of the tube.

Do I really need to add a primer to get the mascara I'm searching for? I'm not looking for highly dramatic, super long spidery lashes. Just something that will make my light colored fine lashes look darker and lusher but not caked with shellac. Does a primer do anything other than add thickness?
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
Jax wrote:

I'm not looking for highly dramatic, super long spidery lashes. Just something that will make my light colored fine lashes look darker and lusher but not caked with shellac. Does a primer do anything other than add thickness?

Jax, if you're not looking for crazy drag queen lashes, then there are plenty of mascaras out there that add volume and length. Primers serve to increase volume, length, and also adds a curl. For curling, the best one is Shiseido mascara base, but it doesn't add volume or length. For volume, L'Oreal voluminous mascara is a classic. YSL faux cils is also very popular around here. I don't think you need a primer if you don't want ultra dramatic lashes.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:52 am      Reply with quote
I'm the queen of mascara primers because I have short, sparse, thin Asian lashes. (well, they used to be before Carekate's Lush Lash Serum and JMAIE).

Anyway, there are different types of primers and it depends what you want to achieve.

Shu Uemura Lash Repair - though not really a primer I love this AS a primer. Tiny brush and it adds a little stiffness if you have trouble reaching tiny lashes (the mascara adheres better). Talika Lipocils and Carekate's Lush Lash also do great adding a little bulk.

Clinique and Lancome Mascara Primers - I don't have these anymore but I think they also had fibers for lengthening. Not very lengthening though and the base is white so it's difficult to cover with mascara.

Shiseido Mascara Base - my HG. It's grayish color is much easier to cover with mascara. It doesn't lengthen but the amazing thing is that it holds a curl.

Bourjois Maxi Frange - Double-ended set. If you want a base for volumizing, this is fantastic. It is a peach color which is also easier to cover with mascara. The set though, will give you drama-drag queen lashes. While amazing, it it rather heavy for my lashes.

Blinc is a great mascara if you need waterproof - but I agree it doesn't add volume or length. The Blinc primer is REALLY bad. Too drying and makes everything clumpy.

It sounds like you want just a mascara. Shu Uemura Basic Mascara always gets a ton of raves - It can smudge on my lower lashes though. Duwop Lash Laquer NEVER clumps for me ... no matter how many layers I add. The clear laquer part is great too - makes your lashes shiny.

I can't help with flaking ... never happens to me.

Easy to remove - I suggest staying away from Waterproof AND Shiseido mascaras.

Is there anything that's comes close to your HG? That might help with a direction.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
Shu Uemura Lash Repair is very good.
I used to wear it under Shu Basic (can't get it in Aus so I have to use something else now).
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
Rjez - Thanks for the course in Primers 101! My upper lashes have a natural curl so I don't need a primer for that. Also, I've used various volume mascaras that have added enough thickness, the trouble is all of them flaked. Your comment about Shu Uemura smudging on your lower lashes cancels that out for me because my lower lashes are kind of long. The only mascara so far that doesn't smudge down there is Physicians Formula - don't care for it on my upper lashes though. You are correct that I want just a mascara and no matter how many beauty boards I've visited, it seems EVERYONE is in search of this HG!

[b]poofy[/b} - I've tried so many mascaras over the years, but never YSL. This one, along with DiorShow, are two I keep seeing rec'd on boards so I guess they'll be next in line for me. Maybe one of them will be the answer.

I used to love Lancome and used it for years until I developed a sensitivity to it.

Thanks for your replies!
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:51 am      Reply with quote
I love YSL and Diorshow ... very drama and volumizing. Problem I have with volumizers are the huge brushes ... on my short lashes.

I've also heard great raves about Avon Superfull but I'm so skeptical of any Avon product.

I'm really dying to try the H20+ Silk Mascara that's mentioned in the thread about 'good for you mascara'.

Have you read the reviews for Shu Uemura Basic? It smudged for me, but my lashes are totally weird. Mascara NEVER flakes on me (and I wear contacts!) so I rate mascara and primers by volume and lengthening only. They also don't clump on me ... I think my lashes are too thin to hold enough product.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:34 pm      Reply with quote
The best mascara primer that I have used is Lancome's, I believe it is called Cils Effects?? (Used up my last one, am using a primer by Estee Lauder, but is not as good as the Lancome IMHO). Hths. Smile
chellsta
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
Oh . . . thank you for these reccs and for the clarification on the whole mascara method. I like Bad Gal by Benefit. I may try some others because I wouldn't mind the "drag queen" look, on ocassion.

27 without sign of aging (yet), southern Cali resident, oily skin, I.D. Bare Minerals "buffer", Peter Thomas Roth lover, light skin complexion with golden undertones, naturally curly brown hair, brown eyes, race = Black, Irish, Cherokee.
violetjxl
5% products discount

Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
I'm using Lancome's now. maybe try Shiseido Mascara Base after it.
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
Rjez - What is JMAIE?
Thanks!
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
Jan Marini Age Intervention Eyelash. Tons of posts but it's backordered unless you find an out of the way place that has stock.

Seems to work but is pricey, $150. Carekate's Lush Lash Serum also works but she isn't selling this yet. If you search you'll see a post where everyone is adding their name to an UNofficial waiting list.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Rjez...yes, I've read all about the Jan Marini product, and Carekate's, too. Sounds like a miracle product!
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:07 pm      Reply with quote
Rjez wrote:

I've also heard great raves about Avon Superfull but I'm so skeptical of any Avon product.

This did an ok job for me.
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
I think that the Blinc lash primer works really well. I have no problems with it clumping. Without this, the Blinc mascara is useless on me!
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:06 am      Reply with quote
Whenever I skip the primer step, I regret it. For me, the most significant benefit is curling my lashes, which I don't otherwise do before putting on mascara. It's like a lazy lash curler for me. Right now I'm using the L'Oreal one (I think...) with primer on one end and mascara on the other.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
I just started using the Shiseido primer based on the rave reviews on MUA. It really does create an AMAZING volumizing & lengthening effect. I was skeptical because I've used other mascara primers in the past with little effect. Shiseido's primer will make ANY mascara you use thereafter work phenomenally. BUT, the big drawback is that it is VERY difficult to remove. However, I've found that using my Mineral Melt by Pur Minerals takes care of that problem. You really do need to use a good eyemake up remover to get this stuff completely off.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:21 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |