Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
katee's shampoo variations.....
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, okay - everybody started yelling at me to do this as a separate thread. Geeez y'all are sooooo demanding sometimes Wink

Here's the same stuff I said in the other thread!!!

I'm very finicky about shampoo. I like the Terax line, but I get tired of it. There are other things out there that I like, but they're so damn expensive! I have long hair, I wash it everyday (cause I swim and work out, etc), and it was costing me a fortune! Soooo, I started to experiment. What I do now, most of the time, is this: I buy a gallon of the wheat protein conditioning shampoo (delicious mango citrus scent) or the Herb Complex conditioning shampoo (yummy coconut fragrance) fromwww.natural-formulations.com at a cost of about $15 (not bad for a gallon!!!). I mix in a jar of the aformentioned seakelp bioferment, and usually a little coconut endosperm and soy isoflavone if I happen to have them around (which I frequently do cause I use them in my body firming cream / lotion....

It makes an absolutely incredible shampoo! I'm warning you in advance though: it will make your hair grow like crazy! My bf adores the stuff. My older sis also is crazy about it, but she colors her hair and tells me she has to do it way more frequently because her hair grows so fast now. It's also a very good thing for her because she was on some meds that made her previously thick gorgeous mane thin considerably. This stuff has really thickened her hair back up!

I also mix the sea kelp bioferment into my conditioner. I don't usually use any kind of leave in product, but I have used it for this purpose too and its really great. Zero oiliness but maximum conditioning. I keep a small jar of it on hand with a yummy fragrance mixed in for this very purpose.

When I'm in a super ambitious mood (but I rarely have the time to do this), I also make a shampoo from scratch with the stuff as follows:

1/2 cup Sea Kelp Bioferment
1/4 cup Aloe Vera Gel
1/3 cup Pure Honey
cocamidopropyl betaine (a surfectant)
1/4 tsp. Soy Isoflavones
1/8 tsp. L-Arginine
1/8 tsp. L-Carnitine
1/8 tsp. Nianicimide
1/8 tsp. Natural Active Peptides
1/4 tsp. Coconut Endosperm
Fragrance
Distilled water if I want to make it thinner
Germaben II (a preservative)

The stuff is beyond delicious!

Alternatively, I've also made a really nice shampoo with just distilled water, the sea kelp, cocamidopropyl betaine (the surfectant), fragrance and Germaben II.

Have fun ladies .....
ellyp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:34 pm      Reply with quote
Way cool, Katee! I just love your recipes! I still have to ask you more about your body cream but this shampoo recipe is awesome. Can't wait to try it when I can put in an order for some of this stuff (and the vit. c you recommended). Thanks!
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:27 am      Reply with quote
You forgot the eye of newt Rolling Eyes where am I supposed to get all this stuff.I'm so out of the loop. Besides there's this little problem of laziness..perhaps you should think about going into business or partner up with Candy or Carrie or something Very Happy
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:36 am      Reply with quote
I had actually been thinking of mixing that sea kelp bioferment stuff into my shampoos/conditioners but wasn't sure if it was just another of my whacky ideas and waste of time and money. Now I've got the green light Very Happy and I'll also be adding the coconut endosperm. Thanks for the info!
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:58 am      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
You forgot the eye of newt Rolling Eyes where am I supposed to get all this stuff.I'm so out of the loop. Besides there's this little problem of laziness..perhaps you should think about going into business or partner up with Candy or Carrie or something Very Happy

rofl! I suddenly got a mental image of Katee looking all perfrct and Miss America like bent over a cauldron stiring and chanting! Laughing

Katee this sounds wonderful, Im always looking for stuff that will make my hair grow faster as Im trying to grow it out...only 24 inches to go! Rolling Eyes Very Happy

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
tidieu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:10 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Katee! This is what I need, something to help with hair growth. I'll have to look into ordering all those ingredients.
Bee
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:04 am      Reply with quote
Katee,

Is the seakelp the magic growth accelerator? Where can I get this???

I'm gonna be one balding old lady if I don't do something soon!

-- Bee
Debster1000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:12 am      Reply with quote
http://skinactives.com/products/seakelp_bioferment.htm Hope this helps.
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:13 am      Reply with quote
katee: "Double, Double, toil and trouble; Fire burn and cauldron bubble....." Laughing Laughing Laughing

Marina, you can buy all the ingredients at skinactives.com (except for the shampoo base, which I buy by the gallon, but frankly, you can use any base you want....). But, if you don't want to get involved in a whole diy potion, just buy the seakelp and add it to your shampoo. THAT really is the key ingredient!

To answer Bee's question, the seakelp is definitely the component that accelerates the growth.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:37 am      Reply with quote
Katee,

I don't shampoo my hair anymore and only use conditioner to wash and condition my hair. So would my hair grow faster if I just added the sea kelp to my conditioner? Wondering how much of it I should add to my conditioner bottle.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:06 am      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme wrote:
Katee,

I don't shampoo my hair anymore and only use conditioner to wash and condition my hair. So would my hair grow faster if I just added the sea kelp to my conditioner? Wondering how much of it I should add to my conditioner bottle.

A Wen girl eh?? If correct, how do you like it?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:08 am      Reply with quote
Bee wrote:
Katee,

Is the seakelp the magic growth accelerator? Where can I get this???

I'm gonna be one balding old lady if I don't do something soon!

-- Bee

Not Katee <obviously Laughing > , but the Sea Kelp isn't a growth accelerator but is chock full of minerals to encourage healthy hair. I mix a 1/2 SK 1/2 shampoo solution and have been quite pleased with the result.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:03 am      Reply with quote
Maybe it's all the extra added nutrients Candy, but since I've been using the stuff, my hair is not only thicker, but it's growing like crazy - neither of which was necessarily my intention. I already have more hair than I know what to do with !
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:05 am      Reply with quote
I add it to my conditioner at a ratio of 1:1 usually. My sister just dilutes it with rose water and uses that as a conditioner...
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:09 am      Reply with quote
katee wrote:
[
Marina, you can buy all the ingredients at skinactives.com (except for the shampoo base, which I buy by the gallon, but frankly, you can use any base you want....). But, if you don't want to get involved in a whole diy potion, just buy the seakelp and add it to your shampoo. THAT really is the key ingredient!

O.K. that sounds like a good place to start. Candy, in case you were ever thinking of expanding your offerings......I'll be the guinea pig. I have Carrie's magic potion coming, now if I can add the super duper shampoo...we'll see what happens.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:13 am      Reply with quote
Wait...Katee, do you ad SK to the shampoo & conditionner?
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:24 am      Reply with quote
Uh huh marina..... My bf says he expects that soon I'm gonna start adding it to my cabernet sauvignon Wink .
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:36 am      Reply with quote
You just reminded me..back in college (during my hippie stage) I was popping natural supplements like kelp & other sea weeds and my hair looked great...or maybe it was just youth Confused
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:45 am      Reply with quote
Wow! I really need hair growth. I make Face serums using these ingredients (plus EGF) but have not tried a conditioner or shampoo.
THANKS!

P.S. EGF retards hair growth so omly use on your face.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:46 am      Reply with quote
Candy8865 wrote:
ariesxtreme wrote:
Katee,

A Wen girl eh?? If correct, how do you like it?

Wen? Confused ...LOL. I like it, my hairs never been better since I've stopped using shampoo altogether. I occassionally do an ACV rinse if I feel there's some buildup.

So 1:1 ration huh...doesn't that get a little expensive with the sea kelp. Let's say I have like 6 oz of conditioner, if I put in 6 oz of sea kelp that's some expensive conditioner Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
Once I mix them together, I usually either dilute it or I use a very small amount. I have long hair, and ALOT of it. So much, in fact, that most hair clips are useless - I can't close them. This stuff is powerful. I little goes a long way. However, I also know that alot of people, rather than do the half and half thing, use 20% seakelp and 80% of their base conditioner. Play around with it.... Wink
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
katee wrote:
Once I mix them together, I usually either dilute it or I use a very small amount. I have long hair, and ALOT of it. So much, in fact, that most hair clips are useless - I can't close them. This stuff is powerful. I little goes a long way. However, I also know that alot of people, rather than do the half and half thing, use 20% seakelp and 80% of their base conditioner. Play around with it.... Wink

Thanks, I was gonna say, I don't use shampoo so when I use conditioner both to wash and condition I use a decent amount, I can't skimp out on it. I'll try the 80/20 ratio and see if that works...still that's an expensive bottle of conditioner Wink . Also does the seakelp have a smell or is it neutral?

Wow, I'm gonna have to stock up, those little 2 oz jars from Skinactives just wont do. Do they sell tubs? Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
aries, I'm having a hard time understanding how hair can be clean without shampoo. I use a sulfate-free one & it took some getting used to. Why did you start this regime in the first place? Don't you get build-up, I mean even the day after; you're putting conditionner on top of conditionner.I'm really interested since I've noticed a lot more people doing this lately. Thanks Smile
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
Marina,

I thought that too. I have curly hair and found a forum where women with curly hair do co-washing, some still use either no sulfate or low sulfate shampoo. I tried the Paves sulfate free shampoo and it stil dried my hair out. It took some time getting used to it, my hair probably took about a week or so to adjust to the new routine. As far as the buildup is concerned, I try to stay away from silicones or anything that may cause buildup and or isn't water soluable and can't be easily washed off with water. IF I feel the need to clean it better I use an ACV rinse or baking soda rinse, but I prefer ACV for that instead.

I use a lighter conditioner to wash the scalp well for about 5 min. Like Suave Naturals and or VO5. These conditioners are really thin and wash the scalp area pretty darn clean if you can imagine that. Then I condition with my regular conditioner mixed in with about a tablespoon of olive oil. Deep condition about once a week or so or do protein packs. My hair's never been better since I'm not stripping all the moisture from my hair. I've been on this for about, oh I want to say 5-6 months now and I couldn't be happier. My hairs less frizzy, my curls are healthier and more lively and there's actually some shine since I'm not suffocating my hair with all the cones I used to put in my hair

Hope I've cleared that up for you, if not ask away. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
Katee, what a wonderful idea!

I am defintely going to try adding SK to the shampoo. What are using as a conditioner/ Just SK?

TIA,
Lucy.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:22 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |