Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Subversive Word-Of-Mouth Bulletin Board Spamming Illegal!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:31 am      Reply with quote
FTC Moves to Unmask Word-of-Mouth Marketing

Endorser Must Disclose Link to Seller

By Annys Shin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Federal Trade Commission yesterday said that companies engaging in word-of-mouth marketing, in which people are compensated to promote products to their peers, must disclose those relationships.

In a staff opinion issued yesterday, the consumer protection agency weighed in for the first time on the practice. Though no accurate figures exist on how much money advertisers spend on such marketing, it is quickly becoming a preferred method for reaching consumers who are skeptical of other forms of advertising.

Word-of-mouth marketing can take any form of peer-to-peer communication, such as a post on a Web blog, a MySpace.com page for a movie character, or the comments of a stranger on a bus.

As the practice has taken hold over the past several years, however, some advocacy groups have questioned whether marketers are using such tactics to dupe consumers into believing they are getting unbiased information.

In October 2005, Commercial Alert, an advertising and marketing watchdog group in Portland, Ore., petitioned the FTC to consider taking action against word-of-mouth marketers. The group called for the FTC to issue guidelines requiring paid agents to disclose their relationship to the company whose product they are promoting, including any compensation.

The group cited a 2002 Wall Street Journal article on a marketing campaign by Sony Ericsson Mobile for its T68i mobile phone and digital camera. The initiative, called "Fake Tourist," involved placing 60 actors posing as tourists at attractions in New York and Seattle to demonstrate the camera phone. The actors asked passersby to take their photo, which demonstrated the camera phone's capabilities, but the actors did not identify themselves as representatives for Sony Ericsson.

Commercial Alert also singled out Tremor, a marketing division of Procter & Gamble, which has assembled a volunteer force of 250,000 teenagers to promote the company's products to friends and relatives.

Procter & Gamble spokesman Terry Loftus said participants in its word-of-mouth campaigns are free to talk negatively or positively about a product or service and do not receive compensation. Volunteers are not required to disclose their relationship with the company, he said. Some participants receive sample products, he said, so they can offer an opinion on a product.

Word-of-mouth advertising is already covered under existing FTC regulations that govern commercial endorsements. What the FTC sought to do yesterday in its staff opinion was to note that such marketing could be deceptive if consumers were more likely to trust the product's endorser "based on their assumed independence from the marketer."

"The petition to us did raise a question about compliance with the FTC act," said Mary K. Engle, FTC associate director for advertising practices. "We wanted to make clear . . . if you're being paid, you should disclose that."

The FTC said it would investigate cases where there is a relationship between the endorser of a product and the seller that is not disclosed and could affect the endorsement. The FTC staff said it would go after violators on a case-by-case basis. Consequences could include a cease-and-desist order, fines and civil penalties ranging from thousands of dollars to millions of dollars. Engle said the agency had not brought any cases against word-of-mouth marketers.

Though the staff's opinion fell short of Commercial Alert's original request, the group's executive director, Gary Ruskin, said he was pleased the staff agreed that word-of-mouth marketing could be deceptive.

"This letter tells marketers like Procter & Gamble that their 'sponsored consumers' must disclose that they are shilling, or they are probably in violation of the prohibition against deceptive advertising. That's big," he said. "It will change practices in the word-of-mouth marketing industry."
Andy Sernovitz, chief executive of the Word of Mouth Marketing Association, said the FTC's decision was an endorsement of the industry's efforts to police itself. The Chicago-based association, which has more than 300 members, last year issued a code of ethics stating that marketers should disclose ties to sponsors.

The group has also tried to hold members accountable. Sernovitz said the group is reviewing the membership status of the Edelman public relations firm after Wal-Mart, one of the firm's clients, reportedly gave positive comments to bloggers who then posted the comments without mentioning the source. Edelman later admitted that some of its employees had written the blogs.

Procter & Gamble, which is not a member of the association, recruits volunteer marketers online, Loftus said. The company chooses volunteers based on their answers to a survey on the Tremor Web site, which tells participants if they join the Tremor Crew they could "name the next big movie" or "help design a video game."

Peter Blackshaw, chief marketing officer for Nielsen BuzzMetrics, which tracks the effectiveness of word-of-mouth marketing, said brands have more than a moral incentive to be upfront with consumers. "There's a high turn-off factor if consumers learn that the person making a recommendation is actually on contract," with an incentive to push a product, he said.

A 2005 survey of 800 consumers by market research firm Intelliseek found that 29 percent of participants age 20 to 34 and 41 percent of those age 35 to 49 said they would be unlikely to trust a recommendation again from a friend whom they later learned was compensated for making the suggestion.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...rss_technology
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:41 am      Reply with quote
Wow...shifty!
I wonder how they'd force people to disclose that. Say a friend of mine is paid to tell me all the great things about "X" but I don't know they are getting paid. I invite said friend out for coffee. Over our lattes she tells me about the product "but just to let you know, because of FTC regulations I have to tell you I'm being paid to say what I'm telling you."
Haha...yeah...real enforceable...Laughing

But I wonder what implications that would have for those company reps that have joined here in the past only to tout their product? I recall one a few months back who posted about her product in almost every thread remotely related to her product. When you went to her profile and searched by "all posts by" you saw she merely cut and copied the same advertisement in all threads.

I really think that's a great feature in EDS.
I came across someone who joined a few weeks ago whose only posted twice or so but is the president of a skincare company (in their profile), though they haven't yet mentioned which company or what they sell...to their credit they hadn't advertised their own product in those few posts either.

Wouldn't it be interesting if EDS had some legal recourse to self-advertisers/subversive posters?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:03 am      Reply with quote
It's very interesting stuff!! However, in my experience, esp. on boards like the EDS board, it can be pretty easy to sniff out these people. Actually, I don't know if anyone remembers or not, but we've had a few cases here at EDS where people show up and say "OMG you HAVE to try XYZ cream--- my mother uses it every day and her skin is gorgeous!" or something like that, and people here have very quickly figured out what was going on.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:09 am      Reply with quote
Hmmmmmmm, maybe I should be getting paid for raving about my favourite products here at EDS? LOL Just kidding. Razz Boy, with the super discounts, product selections, free gifts and friendly forum, if they ever did offer to pay me for my contributions, I don't think I'd ever leave my computer. LOL Laughing Alright, I best be getting back to my "real" job now. Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:22 am      Reply with quote
Actually, the ruling isn't intended to address the sole individual who shows up to do the equivalent of tooting their own horn without identifying themselves.

It IS directed at large corporations like Sony, Nike, Motorola, Avon, and god only knows who else, who, especially since the enormous growth of internet blogs and online commerce, have invested significant sums of money in launching these marketing campaigns, without ever disclosing to the public that they're doing it. It is, in fact, already a violation of FTC standards, but this ruling just adds emphasis and sends out the message that they actually intend to enforce the standard, which they haven't done up to now.

Everyone knows that Nike paid Michael Jordan for the use of his name and for his specific actions to endorse their "Air Jordans" - the fact that he was involved in the design of the prototype is something they not only don't try to hide, they use it as part of the promo. And, obviously, it's an effective marketing technique.

The word-of-mouth marketing refers to companies hiring large numbers of people - often professional actors - to go out and say that a particular product is great, not just to a friend over coffee at Starbucks, but in an organized way.

What the FTC ruling seeks to accomplish is NOT to get the individuals involved to say HEY I WORK FOR NIKE or the equivalent declaration, but to get the corporation to publically disclose that they're engaging in the practice, the amount of money invested, the number of individuals involved, and the specifics of the approach.

Ok - I'm done.... taking off my lawyer hat and going back to behaving like a reasonably normal person (ok - for the sake of accuracy, normal for ME Cool )
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:03 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |