Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
a question about Sea Kelp Bioferment and Hair Growth ?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
I have been interested in the sea kelp bioferment since Katee and a few other members have mentioned it in their DIY recipes.

I am however concerned about the sea kelp bioferment stimulating hair growth. I don't want a hairier face! Embarassed The skinactives site has a recipe for a hair tonic which stimulates hair growth on the scalp and the main ingredient is sea kelp bioferment. i remember another EDS member mentioned getting quite some baby hair growth on her head after applying bio kelp ferment.

My question is, will the sea kelp increase facial hair too? I try to stay away from applying ingredients or products that can stimulate hair on my face, so no emu oil or castor oil for me.

Any thoughts or experience on this?

TIA

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
No - the SKBio will not encourage facial hair growth. Actually I had been reading a few articles that women actually shave their faces as a form of exfoliation! Shock And that even that doesn't cause hair to grow unnaturally. <I'll find and post the links later>.

In the meantime - rest easy that you won't wake up one morning looking like Eddie Munster by using Emu, Castor or SKBio....

ETA - Found some of the links...

http://www.wvec.com/news/local/stories/wvec_local_052405_beauty_face_shaving.2a78a31f5.html

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-90933970.html

http://nymag.com/nymetro/shopping/beauty/n_7970/

There are a few others I can't seem to find right now - but an interesting read for sure...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
Natural hair growth stimulants (via nutrition) should only cause hair growth where there was already hair follicles - eg scalp, eyebrows, lashes.. and should not cause new follicles to sprout up - otherwise I'd have one messy hairline!
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
candy--oh my! Shock shaving my face would definitely encourage hair growth. I know the shaving/waxing debate about it encouraging or not encouraging hair growth, but i am definitely on the side that hair removal methods encourage growth for me.

miranets--i meant the hairs getting darker, not necessarily sprouting new follicles like JM can.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:57 am      Reply with quote
Candy8865 wrote:
No - the SKBio will not encourage facial hair growth. Actually I had been reading a few articles that women actually shave their faces as a form of exfoliation! Shock And that even that doesn't cause hair to grow unnaturally. <I'll find and post the links later>.

Yikes!! Somebody give those women some brown sugar and lemon juice. Laughing
linder
5% products discount

Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:22 am      Reply with quote
I started shaving my face about 6 months ago. I just take the razor and use it in the morning on a dry face. Best thing I ever did! Actually the more I do the less hair I have. I always had peach fuzz on my face. I was doing it in the morning in the shower until I got a little careless and cut my neck. OUCH! Linder
anomaly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:52 am      Reply with quote
It's called "dermaplaning" and some people pay big bucks to get it done.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:13 am      Reply with quote
I know there have been several studies that have looked at why males, who don't really invest much in skincare, tend to "age" less than women. A number of different factors have been investigated, including the fact that women experience a more dramatic hormonal shift as they get older, the fact that males (and this may also be a hormonal issue) have thicker skin, etc.

I know that at least two studies concluded that "mechanical exfoliation" i.e. shaving, was the biggest factor!

It's interesting. If I have some time later, I'll look for the links to the studies and post them.
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:18 am      Reply with quote
katee wrote:
I know that at least two studies concluded that "mechanical exfoliation" i.e. shaving, was the biggest factor!

I don't have any info on those studies. But, I did read this somewhere about 3 months ago. So, now, I shave every morning both upward and downward as recommended to men. I don't have a lot of that old lady peach fuzz, yet. I just wanted to do this for the added exfoliation. Works like a dream and, yes, it's a lot less expensive than dermaplaning!!!

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:03 am      Reply with quote
I can just DH walking into the bathroom and seeing me shave... Embarassed sorry, it'll end me up in the looney bin...particularly since I've been telling my daughters never to shave their underarms but wax instead. I'm definite proof that shaving makes hair (at least in the underarm area) coarser.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:17 am      Reply with quote
One of the best and well known electrolysis places in NYC (Lucy Peters) requires their clients to shave a week before the treatment.
The reason is - that the root can be killed only during active growing phase, and shaving forces the hair to be in that phase.

I do think it makes it very coarse (and so unpleasant to the touch, especially on the face), but I do not hink it stimulates the growth of additional hair.

HTH,
Lucy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:30 am      Reply with quote
Wouldn't the coarseness on the face be enough reason NOT to do it? Confused
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:57 am      Reply with quote
LOL marina.... I hear ya! Actually, I don't have plans of shaving either. I can think of other ways to do manual exfoliation if I need to.

Besides, when we were in Europe recently, I forgot to bring my razor and snuck his, but not for my face Surprised . He HATES when I borrow his razor. I thought I did such a great job of rinsing it off, buttttt I got caught every single time Exclamation
linder
5% products discount

Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
It took me a few months to get the nerve to shave my face. My face is as smooth as ever. Best thing I ever started. I use ladies Bic. Dry. linder
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
yano, eyeing my razor, my legs def do not have more hair on them from shaving, nor are they courser, I am very hairless, fine hair on body, and my legs above knees I don't even need to shave, very sparse, very blonde and my lower legs are not thick and black now at all and I've been shaving for ohh cough cough a good 30 yrs..every day, not because I am ape woman if I don't, its just part of my bath!!!! hmmmmmm prob too scared to do my face tho....
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:25 pm      Reply with quote
I would not shave my face uless it was needed. When I was getting electrolysis I had to do it, and it was a nightmare. Since I am a natural redhead most of my hair are invisible, but boy, can you feel them especially after the shaving.

I belive dermoplaning is somewhat different from shaving - they use some kind of a knife and exfoliate the face with it, not just plain razor. I have only read about it, but never tried.

Too scary.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
well said sigma.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:26 am      Reply with quote
I've been shaving my face (for exfoliation) for about 12 years. My only regret is not starting sooner. Sad My dermatologist was very much in favor of this practice, and all the ladies working in his office, shaved and had spectacular skin, young and old. After years of visiting his office, incredulous that these women were shaving, I broke down and started doing it. Think of it as SAVING FACE rather than SHAVING FACE! It will not make hair grow on your face...it will not make hair thicker or courser. All that happens is, when the hair (fuzz) surfaces, it will have a blunt tip. I DO NOT recommend shaving if you have a hairy face, because you could feel stubble. I don't have hair on my face, so its not an issue. The skin on my face is the best feature I have on my whole body!! (I am 54.)
doba
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:25 am      Reply with quote
I could never shave my face. I am positive that shaving makes hair (at least for me).
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:09 am      Reply with quote
Goodness me. Shock
I never knew about this face shaving business.

I remember when I used the philosophy micro - delivery peel, they suggested shaving it off, and I felt very brave when I tried that.

It didnt affect me in terms of stubble production, THANKFULLY.

So I can say, yes,I have shaved my face.

I had no idea that women did it regularly.

Interesting.
texasqueen

Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
one of my co-workers gets her face threaded. so maybe threading may be an option for those who are interested in ridding facial hair. and she, my co-worker, has very smooth skin by the way.
coocoo
5% products discount

Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:42 am      Reply with quote
Hi everybody,

Wondering if the sea kelp will be good for hair growth? Where can I buy this? DO i have to make it?
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
Coocoo...you can get a sea kelp bioferment from skinactives.com. I don't know if it will make hair grow. I put it on zits to speed healing!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:03 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |