Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

come out of the closet...do you shave your face?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
I have lots of very annoying dark hair on my upper lip, and have to confess that I have resorted to shaving it off when I've been short of time in between removing it more "aesthetically". I don't really see any difference in the regrowth when I've done that to be honest - but then my hair is quite coarse and dark anyway.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
I hear so many myths about Asians (I'm Japanese):

1. body hair: Hmm, I don't have any arm hair and very little leg hair but I do have facial hair and use those small foldable shavers.

I'm self-conscious about it and almost died when my mom asked if I shaved my face (in front of my husband) because she found a great facial razor.

2. thick, straight hair: Hmm, all the men in our family have super thick, curly, coarse hair. All the women have super thin, fine, straight hair.

The only thing that I've experienced that doesn't seem too much of a myth is 'great skin'. It's genetic and no way can it be attributed to diet, skincare or anything else.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
Rjez,

So you do shave your face? How do you like it so far and how often do you do it? Also the whole face from top to bottm? What razor did your mom recommend?

I'm Korean, I barely have any arm and leg hair, although I do shave my legs though. My mom on the other hand has NEVER shaved anything on her body.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
I've been shaving for over a decade. The hair on my face is baby fine and very light (peach fuzz). I dry shave (very carefully) about once a week with a disposable razor for sensitive skin. I don't think you can tell that I shave. It's good for exfoliation. I've never noticed the hair grow back any differently.

5% products discount

Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
I was seeing an esthetician for years to get my face waxed (chin, sides, and upper lio area). It hurt all the time, and I would have to go every 3 weeks, because I have dark hair. She also told me never to shave.

Last year I decided to try laser therapy. In order to do laser therapy, I needed to start shaving my face. The first time was scary because of all the myths I have heard about shaving. You hair doesn't grow back stronger and thicker. You can't even tell that I shave and I have no more "waxing sores." I will never wax again!
mimiek
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
Lucky you ladies. My biggest problem is my body hair. It's dark but fine, which makes laser almost ineffective for this type of hair. But sooner or later I will get rid of it. I recently bought an IPL machine that I'm testing now. I did my face and my armpits yesterday. I made a large test spot on my leg and my shin and I've been hair free on these areas since the 23rd of november. I'm just hoping that I can get a permanent result, which I will probably achieve after repeated treatment. I've done diode laser before 3 treatments with a good result, and I had it done on some intimate part, which makes me feel sick (bad guilty feeling) after each session, because I do not like to expose my self to that level for "some" hair Sad & that’s why I bought the IPL.

Anyway I hope this IPL will make me hairfree for long periods 
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
Lola,

So did you go through with laser therapy?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
My mother has been doing this for years, it's like her dirty little secret. She does have amazing skin for a 56-year old woman--NO wrinkles, taut, beautiful skin. I'd never let a razor near my skin, though! I'd rather have a professional peel...

here is a pic of her (and me), and she's never had work done, never even gone for a facial in her life, and she smokes like a chimney--go figure!!!!!!!

http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6%3DzqH%3AxxqUD7qRUrKxzX7BHpUUKxgXP0G%3F87KR6xqpxQQQGxa0oxGelxv8uOc5xQQQ0PQPPPnQnnqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gXP0G%7CRup6lQQ%7C/of=50,590,442

I am amazed at her skin, but I cannot bring myself to shave my face.
Please excuse her crazy blue eyeliner--I figure, if she goes out in public like that, then shaving one's face is also a crazy idea!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
avalange,

I can't seem to see the pic for some reason, wonder if it's just my browser.

Will one of you asian girls just try it and let me know what's up Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
mimiek--please do update us on your progress with the machine, i am very interested.

avalange--i can't see anything either.

aries--don't do it! Laughing sorry, i can't be your test subject because i am hairy as hell for an asian Mad .

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:

aries--don't do it! Laughing sorry, i can't be your test subject because i am hairy as hell for an asian Mad .

Hey at least I tried Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
I think you have to cut and paste the whole thing into a new browser window--let me know if it still doesn't work. Wink

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:
Hi,
I think you have to cut and paste the whole thing into a new browser window--let me know if it still doesn't work. Wink

Okay it comes up that way. Very Happy . It doesn't work when you click on it since only part of the page is highlighted so the whole address doesn't appear on the browser.

That's it. I'm gonna shave my face after seeing this pic. Both of you are gorgeous. You look like sisters..aww. That's how my mom and I look too Wink

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
Does shaving cause the skin in that area to darken? I already have problems with uneven skintone..so I'm afraid of shaving my upperlip and chin..even though I probably need to!!!
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
Melasmaisew wrote:
Does shaving cause the skin in that area to darken? I already have problems with uneven skintone..so I'm afraid of shaving my upperlip and chin..even though I probably need to!!!

Not sure if shaving causes skin to darken, if anything it may lighten in the long run. Since it's great for exfoliation, lifting and ridding of dead skin cells and letting new skin cells surface more efficiently.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
Ok...check me out. Here is a photo of me taken within the last year. Don't be scared, as it is a picture of me having acupuncture for my sinuses on my acupuncturist website. Yes, I'm horizontal, so gravity is helping me in the photo. I am 54. (click on link or cut and paste.)
http://www.michaelrossoff.com/asset/Acupuncture%20for%20Sinuses.jpg
tl
5% products discount

Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
eeek . . my experiences with dry shaving my legs and pits have been awful. I always end up with a horrendous rash. Do you use a special razor?

sigh so now what will I do with my $50 tube of bliss spliff upper lip????
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
Ok...check me out. Here is a photo of me taken within the last year. Don't be scared, as it is a picture of me having acupuncture for my sinuses on my acupuncturist website. Yes, I'm horizontal, so gravity is helping me in the photo. I am 54. (click on link or cut and paste.)
http://www.michaelrossoff.com/asset/Acupuncture%20for%20Sinuses.jpg

Wow Mountaingirl - you have very sexy retro pin-up girl features and gorgeous skin - even though are horizontal and stuck with pins!!! and you SO don't look 54!!! Cool
Pudoodles
Parentsaver
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
I just get a wax with my facial.
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, I'm convinced! I just went and shaved my face. It feels as soft as a baby's butt! If I don't grow wolfman stubble, I might keep this up. It did feel pretty manly, though. I used a pink razor. Very Happy
lilithim
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
I'll admit it, I've done it on occasion, but I found that it feels weird when you hug someone else, cheek-to-cheek style.
If you're thinking about it, here's what I do.
Generally, I'll use a disposable razor, but it's not a dry shave, really.
Use a creamy cleanser beforehand if you're worried about it, I imagine you could shave with Cetaphil if it doesn't break you out, but make sure that your face is damp. I'll also run some hot water into a glass or the sink and keep dipping the razor in that. Then, run the razor along your jaw line, to get rid of those 'lorax' tufts that happen for your sideburns. I really hate those, so I keep those clean with a multi-use trimmer. (Good for other places too, but we'll talk about that another time.)
Use short strokes, being awfully careful around your nose, but the places that you'll notice the difference will be on your cheeks, chin and upper lip. I never do this in the wintertime, your skin's angry enough as it is without being exfoliated this deeply.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:27 am      Reply with quote
For Pudoodles: Thanks for the compliment. The photo looks kind of grainy and my skin actually looks worse there than it does in real life, but I thought I would post anyway. You asked if I do any other exfoliation. The only other thing I've done is home microdermabrasion with my SpaGirl kit. I do that once a week. I've never had a peel. Another advantage of the razor is for peeling skin from Tazorac, (which is frequent for me in the winter,) I usually can shave that off (dry) and keep a razor at work, since the peelies or crustiness sometimes surface later in the day.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:48 am      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme wrote:
Rjez,

So you do shave your face? How do you like it so far and how often do you do it? Also the whole face from top to bottm? What razor did your mom recommend?

I'm Korean, I barely have any arm and leg hair, although I do shave my legs though. My mom on the other hand has NEVER shaved anything on her body.

Yup, I shave a few dark hairs on my upper lip. I've been doing it for years - maybe once a week?

I couldn't find the brand - but here's a photo of something similar.
http://www.hairproducts.com/view_product_BEA-CAL103.htm

Here's a closeup (dinnertime for Nui) You can see my upper lip shows the darker hair. My eyelashes are from Carekate's Lush Lash Serum

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:55 am      Reply with quote
I looked at my face more closely last night and thought to myself...nah I don't need to shave my face, I barely have any peach fuzz let alone hair I need to shave....although I'd really like to try it, fear prevents me from doing it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:10 am      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme wrote:
I barely have any peach fuzz let alone hair I need to shave.

Ahh, that's actually more like what I have. It's not true hairs per se (like leg or arm hair). It's a lot finer but I notice that the area is lighter when I shave. That's also why I don't do it too often - just when I notice if my face seems "darker".

Wed May 15, 2024 12:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

StriVectin Tighten & Lift Peptight™ 360˚ Tightening Eye Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |