Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Which sunscreens have made you burn? List them here
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:55 am      Reply with quote
Hello EDS users,

I'm curious to know from everyone which sunscreens have made you burn, so we can list all of the culprits in one place. Because we all use these sunscreens under very different conditions, it's difficult to determine which ones actually work and which ones do not.

For example, I'm currently using either Epicuren spf 15 broad spectrum skintreat or md skincare's all-in-one tinted moisturizer sunscreen spf 15. I live in Paris right now, where the sun almost never shines, so I cannot comment on the effectivity of these sunscreens, but maybe someone else can.

But I have used SC's spf 30 sunscreen with z-cote for years whenever I'm going to be 'in the sun,' and this one WORKS. I went to Mexico for a week, rolled around on a scooter all day long under the sun, and wore this SS religiously, and I was pale as a ghost on my face and bust, and dark as a chesnut all over my body.

Regarde:

http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup60lQ%7C%3Dup6%3DzqH%3AxxqUD7qRUrKxzX7BHpUUKxgXPQl%3F87KR6xqpxQQQGxa0oxGelxv8uOc5xQQQPPano0GQloqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gXPQl%7CRup6JaQ%7C/of=50,332,443

(you have to cut and paste the entire thing into a new browser window)

For the record, I've never had a sunburn, and NEVER experienced one on my face. I am lucky, I go from light olive green to brown. BUT, I that makes the aging process that much more insidious, and I want a sunscreen that works, and more importantly:
I want all of you out there to have one that really works as well.

--avalange

p.s. sorry if this thread has been posted before--I did a search and did not come up with this exact topic, so I thought I'd list it.

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:49 am      Reply with quote
Hi Avalange

Good idea Smile

OK, I've burnt my face using:
Vichy lait
Bioderma AKN

I think they're just too insubstantial

I tan easily, but was living in a very high UV index and using mild retinoids/acids at the time.

BTW it's fine staying white and not burning, but that doesn't mean you're getting good UVA protection that won't show for years.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:36 am      Reply with quote
LRP Anthelios XL. I made sure I was putting the correct amount on but I either burn/tan using that one.
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:40 am      Reply with quote
Skinceuticals SPF 45
Clinique SPF 40
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:57 am      Reply with quote
I got burned several times in Japan when I was using Neutrogena's Dry Touch SPF55, and it gave me a rash to boot!

On the other hand, on my honeymoon I hit the beach in Hawaii every day wearing Jason Naturals Active Block SPF 40, and I left Hawaii as white as when I got there.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:11 am      Reply with quote
Skincarefreak,

You got burnt with SC 45??? I would think that sunscreen would have the ultimate protection. worldview check is in order.

Molly,

Doesn't a broad spectrum uva/uvb ss protect as much as anything that is not a physical barrier?

thanks,
--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:
Skincarefreak,

You got burnt with SC 45??? I would think that sunscreen would have the ultimate protection. worldview check is in order.

Molly,

Doesn't a broad spectrum uva/uvb ss protect as much as anything that is not a physical barrier?

thanks,
--avalange

I'm not sure if it was the chemicals or if it only had 4.5% zinc oxide. It has a very small amount of zinc.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:

Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand this question Avalange. What do you mean Confused
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry, Molly--to clarify, I cannot imagine anything more protective than a hat (i.e. physical barrier) or total abstinence from the sun. But second to that, sunscreen with zinc and titanium oxide with broad spectrum protection (uva and uvb)--isn't that the next best thing?

By the way, I'm not a sun-worshiper, this was the first tropical vacation I've EVER taken in my life. But if I see the sun for about five minutes, I'm brown. The picture I posted above was one of the few times I ventured out from under the umbrella to swim ... But I did ride around on the back of a scooter during the day, so I was aware of my exposure. Talk about ambivalence re: turning 30!

--avalange

Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:
Sorry, Molly--to clarify, I cannot imagine anything more protective than a hat (i.e. physical barrier) or total abstinence from the sun. But second to that, sunscreen with zinc and titanium oxide with broad spectrum protection (uva and uvb)--isn't that the next best thing?

I see Smile
Unfortunately the more you look into sunscreens the more debateable it is. Hats and umbrellas are good but only block out a percentage unless it's a specially designed anti-UV material. Physical screens do seem to protect best against burning (UVB) or so my personal experience tells me and reading other accounts here, but they don't protect as strongly against UVA as some other screens. I don't want to repeat everything; we've had a lot of debates here, but to measure UVA protection you can also look at the PPD of a sunscreen. It's a more exact reading of the level of UVA protection and is similar to SPF which covers UVB. You can't just rely on 'broad spectrum' - it's too vague. Have a look at the FAQ above or read the sunscreen info here http://www.skincarecentral.biz/sunscreens-about-.html which I generally agree with but not entirely.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:39 am      Reply with quote
thank you Molly Smile

Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:55 am      Reply with quote
I've never gotten sunburnt on my face, and only rarely on my body, but I have noticed that Shiseido's Ultimate Sun Protection line was not enough (even at SPF55) to keep me from getting a bit of a tan at the beach, even with religious reapplication.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:40 am      Reply with quote
Nijey please give specifics here! I use the SPF 55 Cream and have never tanned using it but then again my skin is so pale that it is probably not capable of really tanning much. Did you use the Cream or the Lotion? Also, define religious application? Do you mean applied every 2 or 3 hours and always applied after being in the water or something else? And how long would you say you were in the sun when you got this tan? Finally, does your skin normally tan easily? Sorry for all the probing questions but since this is my main sunscreen for long days in the sun I really want to make sure it is working!
snowie_bunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
Lancome sunscreen. Not worth the money!
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:23 am      Reply with quote
I havent been sunburnt for yrs. Even when I just use Olay 15+ and i used to use that alot and be out in the sun for ages until I became aware of the UVA issue.

Not burning dosent mean your skins protected though.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:54 am      Reply with quote
carolb69 wrote:
I havent been sunburnt for yrs. Even when I just use Olay 15+ and i used to use that alot and be out in the sun for ages until I became aware of the UVA issue.

Absolutely Exclamation

Ironically I've almost never burnt my face until I started using SS regularly Laughing now I'm so pale I burn really easily.
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:24 am      Reply with quote
[quote="Molly"]
carolb69 wrote:

Absolutely Exclamation

Ironically I've almost never burnt my face until I started using SS regularly Laughing now I'm so pale I burn really easily.[/quote

Molly I do think that we lose our tolerance when we protect ourselves more. I also wonder if some of the chemical sunscreens are actually really bad blocks. I wonder if they promote sundamage Question
snowie_bunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
UVB is counted for the sunburn, however, UVA is more responsible for causing aging and wrinkles.
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
Dermalogica sheer moisture spf15 both tinted and untinted have caused slight irriation on my skin
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
Skin Tx SPF 30
Neutrogena Sensitive SPF 30

Note: I burn very easily.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:39 am      Reply with quote
Rosacea Care Spf30

The best sunscreens for my sensitive rosacea skin are:

Olay Complete Defense for sensitive Spf 30
Maria Galland Anti-Aging sunscreen Spf 40
Pevonia Hydrating sunscreen (even though it's a little bit too oily for the face, so I use it on my body)
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:32 am      Reply with quote
Murad spf 30 waterproof - spent a couple hours at the pool last Sunday, applied each time I got out of the water and still tanned.

Still looking for a good physical sunblock for body after I use up this tube.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:02 am      Reply with quote
No matter what I've used I burn leaving me rushing for shade or my hat and keeping my time outdoors to a minimum.
autumn95
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:52 am      Reply with quote
I think your original question in regards to burning was sunscreens that were not protection enough. I have not had a burn (or any sort of real tan) in decades!

I have tried all sorts of sunscreens - drugstore cheapies such as Cetaphil 15, Olay of Oil 15 (and 30); Coppertone, Ombrelle

Drugstore and higher end - La Roche Posay Hydraphrase UV 30 (fave especially in winter); other LRP, Vichy, Avene (too heavy), Clarins

I have tried Shisedo lotion spf 50 and found it rather drying. Pricey for dept store item in Canada; gets a lot of raves on the skin care board at MUA.

I use Clinique products and like Clinique City Block spf 40. Rather matt for my oily skin. Clinique came out with a new sunscreen. It is called Clinique City Block Sheer spf 25. It has a slight tint. The actives sound good - zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. Something in that new sunscreen gave me a rash!! It took days for my skin to calm down. I was in the office for the majority of the day (April) so it was NOT heat. A few others on MUA have had a reaction to this one. Possibly the other "stuff" in the sunscreen - long list of ingredients. It could have been the added botanicals.

If anyone decides to try the new Clinique Sheer City Block spf 25 please do a small section or test spot. I wish I did!
System
Automatic Message
Wed May 08, 2024 3:31 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Clear Skin Relief Power Duo (40 ml) Skin Biology Super Cop Skin Remodeling Cream - Large (113.4 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Serum 16 (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |