Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Any thoughts on Waterless Facial Cleansers?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
LL
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:55 am      Reply with quote
Hi:

Over the last couple of months, I have experienced dry, irritated, but blemish-prone skin. I have a feeling that my face is dehydrated from washing. I would like to try a waterless cleanser like La Roche Posay's Effaclar Makeup Remover Liquid. According to the directions on their website, it is not meant to be followed up with a cleanser. Rather, it is a cleanser in itself. However, I am a little worried about it clogging pores because I have always used foaming cleansers that need to be rinsed off.

Has anyone used any waterless, fragrance-free, non-comodegenic cleansers like La Roche Posays and found them effective?

Thanks!
hendricks
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:59 am      Reply with quote
you can use a cleansing oil ... it dissolves excess sebum and cleans out clogged pores. I like MAC's cleansing oil.
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
I have acne prone, dry skin and using coconut oil (masseged in and then left on for a few minutes and toweling off) has made me no lonfer acne prone! i'm so amazed!
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
I use coconut oil to cleanse whenever my skin is irritated or sensitive. It's also anti-bacterial, so it's great for acne-prone skin.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
dealated,tam-Do you just use plain coconut oil? I thought coconut oil was comedogenic and bad for acne prone skin? Do you think that because you are using it to cleanse it might be okay since you are wiping it off? This is very interesting!
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
dealated,tam-Do you just use plain coconut oil? I thought coconut oil was comedogenic and bad for acne prone skin? Do you think that because you are using it to cleanse it might be okay since you are wiping it off? This is very interesting!

Yes, just plain coconut oil. Btw, coconut oil is solid a room temperature. Just take a bit in your hand and it liquifies quickly. Sometimes, I'll add a drop or two of an essential oil into a 1 oz. jar. I like adding lavender to it.

I hadn't heard that comedogenic before.

I actually discovered how well it worked when I took part in a small study at Rosa y Fruta that was looking at the benefits of coconut oil for rosacea.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
I have found cleansing oil to be very effective. I do use water to rinse it off, but it can also be wiped off with a soft cloth.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:18 am      Reply with quote
One of the best is Cellcosmet Gel Cleanser. The gel is applied to dry skin, massaged in and rinsed off with water. This is an excellent cleanser.

5% products discount

Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:36 am      Reply with quote
A cleansing oil all the way for removing waterproof makeup and sunscreen. Oils can even remove blackheads and moisturize. A lot of the members here make their own mixes with castor oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, etc. and maybe a drop or two of some essential oil. Searching for the OCM (Oil Cleansing Method) thread is highly recommended! Popular companies that produce oil cleansers are DHC, Fancl, MAC, and Valentine (formerly known as La Vitton). Shu Uemura is much more expensive but it's another. Many use pure extra virgin olive oil. Some gals even use Pond's Cold Cream for makeup removal (mineral oil as the head ingredient). If you're worried about residue remaining and such, the cosmetic companies listed above have ingredients to give the oil slip when it comes to water so there isn't *much* residue left when you rinse. If you really care, there's a head-splitting thread about double cleansing and something-ionic cleansers which RMB and TheresaL are heavily to blame for entitled "Some thoughts on the gentlest cleansers" that you can catch on page 2 of this forum's section. I jest; it was very informative. The detectoring fun starts on page 2 of the thread.

I would have never turned to oil-based cleaners if it weren't for this darn Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection SPF55 sunscreen I use. Sweatproof, waterproof, bulletproof. I've tried the Valentine Normal to Oily Oil Cleanser, extra virgin olive oil (with sediment, my bad), Johnson's baby oil (mineral oil with blasted fragrance), and Vaseline (petroleum jelly, good ole mineral oil's cousin of sorts). All of them are highly effective for removing gunk from your face. I currently use the Vaseline 'cause the others irritated and/or clogged my face.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:37 am      Reply with quote
Oil cleansing is great, and I second coconut oil as lovely for cleansing.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:54 am      Reply with quote
anysound wrote:
Popular companies that produce oil cleansers are DHC, Fancl, MAC, and Valentine (formerly known as La Vitton).

Laventine is the company that was formerly known as La Vitton. Very Happy Website iswww.laventine.com. I use their cleansing oil, I'm a repeat customer and I think it's excellent.
anysound
5% products discount

Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:16 am      Reply with quote
marci65 wrote:
anysound wrote:
Popular companies that produce oil cleansers are DHC, Fancl, MAC, and Valentine (formerly known as La Vitton).

Laventine is the company that was formerly known as La Vitton. Very Happy

My mistake! Thanks, marci65. *blush*
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:20 am      Reply with quote
I was going to suggest Cetaphil gentle cleanser. You don't need water but you can use it if you want to and it does not leave behind any film feeling. Does not clog your pores or dry them out.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:42 am      Reply with quote
tam wrote:

Yes, just plain coconut oil. Btw, coconut oil is solid a room temperature. Just take a bit in your hand and it liquifies quickly. Sometimes, I'll add a drop or two of an essential oil into a 1 oz. jar. I like adding lavender to it.

I hadn't heard that comedogenic before.

I actually discovered how well it worked when I took part in a small study at Rosa y Fruta that was looking at the benefits of coconut oil for rosacea.

tam-thanks for your reply. I have sort of compiled a list of comedogenic ingredients from two sources-Dr. Fulton http://www.betterhealthyskin.com/kba_lets_talk_cosmetics.aspx and Dr. Baumann's Book, "The Skin Type Solution". I had thought that both said coconut oil was comedogenic but when I double checked Dr. Fulton does not actually list coconut oil as being comedogenic while Dr. Baumann does. So I guess it is one of those maybes. I find anyway that even with known comedogenic ingredients, they don't necessarily cause problems for everyone that is prone to clogged pores or breakouts. I always like to hear when someone has a different reaction than I would expect and will look into the coconut oil a little further.

anysound wrote:
If you really care, there's a head-splitting thread about double cleansing and something-ionic cleansers which RMB and TheresaL are heavily to blame for entitled "Some thoughts on the gentlest cleansers" that you can catch on page 2 of this forum's section. I jest; it was very informative. The detectoring fun starts on page 2 of the thread.

Laughing Actually that probably is a good thread to read in reference to these types of cleansers!
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:45 am      Reply with quote
I'm another diehard fan of the MAC cleansing oil - excellent stuff, indeed! I had never heard about using coconut oil for cleansing..very interesting...would I get it at a health food store? I've actually never seen it in any shops... Any insights would be great -thanks!
Pudoodles
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:22 am      Reply with quote
Hi LL! I have blemish-rpone skin, but when the weather gets really cold I've found that I can't wash my face morning and night as it gets too dry, so recently I've just been washing my face at night with a tradtional cleanser, and in the morning I've been using a rinseless cleanser from Zenbiotic.com. I love it, and my skin looks great (no break outs) so it must be working. HTH!

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:35 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the responses. As so many people have suggested, I did think about using a cleansing oil but I didn't because I understand that one will have a pretty nasty initial purging of the skin. I cannot afford to irritate my skin any further at this point, as I am struggling with acne, dry, flaking, red skin. If I have an initial breakout as well, I will not want to leave my house!

On top of that, there are so many different cleansing oils out there an I really can't decide which one will work well with me. I was seriously contemplating DHC, then came across Fancl, and now I hear great things about MAC (which would be a lot easier to get then the other two). Any suggestions? In addition, I understand that cleansing oils are meant to be rinsed off. I know someone suggested that I can just wipe off the oil, but I think that that would defnitely cause some blemishes to pop up. Plus, I'm not sure that I would feel "clean" if I didn't rinse the oil. I was really interested in trying waterless cleansers because they would save me from having to use water, which I think is the culprit for my dehydrated skin right now.

I would love to hear more feedback.

Cheers
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:51 am      Reply with quote
LL the commercial cleansing oils are meant to be rinsed off. And I have found that most of them do rinse clean and not leave a residue.

If your skin is in really bad condition right now I would recommend the following-Bioderma Crealine H20 No Rinse Cleanser. This is not a cleansing oil. You can rinse afterwards but it is meant to be used like a toner. Saturate a cotton with the cleanser and wipe your face and repeat until clean. This is an excellent cleanser. It removes makeup and sunscreen and best of all it is non-drying and even on my super sensitive skin does not cause any irritation. I also am acne prone and feel that this did not cause any breakouts. It is certainly worth a try until your skin calms down!
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:14 am      Reply with quote
Hi LL,

I have to say I love my Custom Dermaceuticals Anhydrous Cleanser. It foams up a *little and "contains no soap, fragrance or perservatives". I have acne prone combo skin and I swear this cleanser was a major factor in my skin calming down. At first I thought it was their vitamin C serum that did it but I haven't seen continued results with the serum (I love their serum but it is not for me anymore). So I am thinking that switching to a cleanser that didn't strip the skin is what made the difference.
Hope this helps!

Ingredients: Glycerin, PEG-8, Sucrose Cocoate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Mica, and Titanium Dioxide.

p.s. I just emailed the company and asked what the PH of the cleanser is (this forum has me on a PH level obsession now Smile ). I'll post again once I hear from them.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:07 am      Reply with quote
Are you Ladies using unrefined coconut oil? What brands?

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
LL
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Theresa and Sundew. I appreciate the fact that you addressed my desire to try a waterless cleanser. However, I did a search on the products you suggested and I can't seem to find a place that sells it. EDS doesn't, and neither does SkinStore, which I was rather suprised. Are these brands hard to come by? I live in Calgary Canada and want to find an online store or a department brand that will do the job.

Cheers and thanks again.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
LL I live in the US so unfortunatly I can't help you with the bioderma cleanser. It is actually a European brand and it is even hard to find in the US! I get it fromwww.beautyhabit.com and they do ship internationally but hopefully someone else will know of a Canadian retailer.
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
LL you can get the Anydrous cleanser online at SkinCareRx. I have used them in the past and never had any problems.
(I tried to post a link but I guess as newbee it isn't allowed Smile )
Safire
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
I actually quite like Clarins Water Comfort One-step Cleanser, it does the job gently & it smells Drool because it has peach extract in it.
LL
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:56 am      Reply with quote
I have looked into various waterless cleansers that are available in the market and they all seem to have some sort of mild detergent in them (for obvious reasons). The percentage of these detergents is around or below 5%. Some of the detergents I have come across are hexylene glycol and isohexadecane. Are these detergents safe to leave on the skin, since I will not use water to rinse them off? I looked on several comedogenicity charts and they suggest hexylene glycol is moderately comdedogenic (2 out of 5) and isohexadecane is not listed. Like I said in my first post, I am concerned about my irritated, dry, acne-prone skin. I have attached the ingredients for LRP's waterless cleanser as well as Paula's Choice Makeup Remover. Paula says the MU remover can be applied either before or after cleansing. If I choose to use her MU remover, followed by a very mild toner like Marcelle's for dry skin, will my skin be prone to clogged pores? I have also attached the ingredients for Marcelle's toner.

Anyways, I appreciate any feedback and I am desperate to be proactive about fixing my skin. Thanks!

Paula's Choice MU Remover:
Water, Cyclomethicone,Isohexadecane,Butylene Glycol, Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (antioxidant), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract (anti-irritant), Glycerin (water-binding agent), Glycyrrhetinic Acid (licorice-derived anti-irritant), Allantoin (anti-irritant), Bisabolol (antioxidant/soothing agent), Poloxamer 184 (surfactant polymer), Sodium Chloride (stabilizer), Benzalkonium Chloride (preservative), Disodium EDTA (stabilizer), Benzyl Alcohol (solvent/preservative), Phenoxyethanol (preservative

La Roche Posay Waterless Cleanser:
AQUA / WATER
HEXYLENE GLYCOL ≤5%
GLYCERIN
POLOXAMER 188
PEG-4
PEG-4 DILAURATE
PEG-4 LAURATE
ZINC PCA ≤0.2%
SODIUM CHLORIDE
SODIUM LACTATE
DISODIUM COCOAMPHODIACETATE ≤2%
DISODIUM EDTA
CITRIC ACID ≤1%
DIHYDROCHOLETH-30
IODOPROPYNYL BUTYLCARBAMATE ≤0.1%
POLYAMINOPROPYL BIGUANIDE ≤1%

Marcelle Toner for Dry Skin:
AQUA/WATER/EAU, PEG-8, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, GLYCERIN, TRIETHANOLAMINE, ALLANTOIN, DIAZOLIDINYL UREA, DISODIUM EDTA, Sodium Citrate, CITRIC ACID, Cucumber Extract, Poloxamer 188, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, PANTHENOL, (peach).
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |