Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
AHA or BHA for Scars - does it matter?? SkinBio uses BHA too
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:30 am      Reply with quote
I have been using AHA on my scars which I had leftover, and now ordered BHA from Paula's site because I dont like the irritation that goes with AHA.

BTW Im using it on my face as well.

Some have told me to use AHA and that BHA wouldnt do anything.

SkinBiology's Exfol is also a BHA product. So I should be able to use Paula's as well - its the same strength and ph.

Can s.o. please explain? Thanks Smile
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
Monica, the way I understand it is simply that AHAs are water soluble and BHA (Salicylic Acid) is oil soluble. Which means both are going to exfoliate (Sal more so for me) but, BHA is better for getting into and cleaning pores of sebum and dead skin.

If you're looking to deal with scars only, AHAs are the way to go. Which AHA caused your irritation? There are a number of AHAs - glycolic, mandelic, etc.

Hope this helps a bit.

Ari

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
Monica34 wrote:
I dont like the irritation that goes with AHA.

lactic acid is considered gentler than glycolic.
which aha did you use that caused irritation?

Monica34 wrote:
SkinBiology's Exfol is also a BHA product. So I should be able to use Paula's as well - its the same strength and ph.

I would say acids with the same % and ph are closely related,
but their ingredients/formulation may differ.

Quote:
from the link below (page on acids):
# Never assume all acids are equal and ALWAYS patch test any new acid to determine any sensitivities prior to treating the area.
# Never assume, having used other acids previously, that your skin can readily handle the acid and you can allow the same time on the skin with a new acid product.

exfol serum is very gentle and not at all drying on me. I could use this twice a day if I chose to. I think (in addition to it's ph) the formulation has a lot to do with that.
exfol serum (2% Salicylic Acid, 3.2 pH.) ingredients:
Ingredients: Purified water, aloe vera gel, salicylic acid, hydroxyethylcellulose, allantoin, polysorbate-20.

great page about acids:
http://dianayvonne.zoovy.com/category/16.aboutpeels
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
Am I right though that ALL exfoliate the epidermis, AHA as well as BHA? BHA also goes into the pore as I know, but that doesnt mean its not just as good a surface exfoliant, right?

I used glycolic acid before (Paula's AHA) and I dont like the stinging that comes with it, because I also use Retin A at night. I want to avoid any irritation. So I want to switch to Paula's BHA instead.

I also used DY's 10% LA serum but its too strong at the pH1.9.

I just want an exfoliant to remove flaky skin that comes with the Retin A and in general to remove dead skin.

I like BHA because it actually is anti inflammatory and can be even used on sensitive skin/rosachea. So I think its best when on Retin A.

I have tried BHA in the past - Clear Pore Treatment by Neutrogena - and liked the fact that you dont feel you are using hydroxy acids (not sure the ph is optimal for exfoliation though).

My skin is not acne prone. I used to think its dry, but I dont need lotion after I shower for example to keep my skin feeling comfortable. It doesnt get itchy as dry skin types would. Maybe I should call it normal to dry. I definitely need a moisturizer on my face though or I feel tight.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:40 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |