Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Suntan - is there a way to do it and not age?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
I'll be going on vacation in about 6-8 weeks and was wondering... Should I get a "spray on tan" and then slather myself in super sunscreen or ... allow myself to get a natural tan along with a sunscreen? What is the best/safest so that I don't turn into... well you know what? Would appreciate suggestions. Thanks

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
A tan is damaged skin. That's why it's tan color.

Do a sunless tanner and then load up on sunscreen.

There is no "safe tan." Sun damage is sun damage...sun damage leads to aging skin and skin cancer.

Please don't try to get a suntan!!! Fake it!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
Well I still tan... Crying or Very sad a little...dont get mad ParisTroika...its just that all the selftaner I use look "fake" its orangybrown. And its just look bad. I would prefer to do it at home . Trust me...but...it just look horrible.Any good recommendation ?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
The fact that tanning is a no-no isn't news...A sunless tanner that looks natural? - now THAT would be news! Laughing I'm really fair so no matter what - sunless tanners always look awful on me. I've decided that sunless tanners look good only on darker skin or skin that is already tanned! I've heard nice things about Fusion Beauty's sunless tanning stuff...but I don't know what it is like first-hand. The only one I've used that I found even remotely acceptable is the one from Dior - all the rest have been complete gongers!
Pudoodles
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
I used to tan...not alot...just before I'd go on spring break and need an extra boost.

Then two gals I knew (one was only 19 at the time!) got skin cancer. One tanned, the other did not.

I kept tanning, though I dropped the frequency a bit, even after I moved to AZ 3.5 years ago, then I had a mole on my chest change. I freaked out and stopped. Plus, my mum was a sun-worshiper and I do NOT want to age like she did.

I won't ever go tanning again. If I do fake it, I do the gradual moisturizer like Jergens.

Other than that...I like being a PPP. You know, being pale used to be a sign of being upper class!
Yep...I just look "upper class" I'm not pale...haha.

I just don't see that if it gives you wrinkles and you're damaging your skin why anyone would want to do it. If you tan and are trying to combat aging...it's like, I don't know, running out in rush hour traffic 50 ft. down the street from a cross walk...sooner or later you are going to get hit. Whether you see the effects now or later, they will hit you.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
If you have a lot of melanin (sp?), you won't be too affected by the UV rays. I often noticed that a black person's skin hardly has any wrinkles. They got lots of melanin in their skin.
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:03 pm      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:
You know, being pale used to be a sign of being upper class!

It still is in Hollywood. Eg, compare Cate Blanchett with the trashy perpetually orange Paris Hilton
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:40 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

my two cents: DON'T go with a spray tan. They really turn you orange. DO buy Saint Tropez tanning system. It will turn you nut brown, eventually, without any orangey-ness in between.

I've heard nightmarish things about the Fusion body stuff--very streaky and orangey.

Really, St Tropez is, and always has been, the best. Get the cream and the mousse; exfoliate your skin very well in the shower, dry your self off completely, and then apply the cream all over your body, just rubbing it in. Use plastic or medical-grade gloves. Then, take the gloves off when you are done, put some of the cream on the backs of your hands, and rub them together, also rubbing your wrists to make sure the application is even.
Every couple of days, alternate between the mousse and the cream. You will NOT turn orange, and you will NOT, unless you are deathly pale and totally aristocratic, turn any other color than the one that results when you actually tan. You can buy these products on EDS.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:11 am      Reply with quote
Those body moisturisers with a hint of fake tan always seem to be the best for me. I use the Jergens one, it never goes streaky,but why oh wy do fake tans have to smell sooo disgusting!
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:34 am      Reply with quote
sarahb wrote:
Those body moisturisers with a hint of fake tan always seem to be the best for me. I use the Jergens one, it never goes streaky,but why oh wy do fake tans have to smell sooo disgusting!

I cannot use the ones you are talking about, because i feel ike i am constantly sweating out chemicals for days afterwards. it also makes my skin crawl!

st tropez doesn't smell after you've showered it off--i'm telling you guys, it is the perfect self tanner...

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:22 am      Reply with quote
I personally don't like St Tropez, I don't like that orange look and it's such a pain to apply, IMO.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:30 am      Reply with quote
I have had fake tans sprayed on professionally and I was told its hard to tan because you have the spray on tan blocking the sun.....I confess I do go to tan salons..I always cover face and nack I just lightly tan my bod to hide my ugly leg veins, I tan and hold a tan though for a very long time so I dont do it often.I dont like fake bake because for 36 hrs you cant shower,I hate feelingdirty and also sometimes it can get into the folds of skin and accentuate wrinkles.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:31 am      Reply with quote
on the messageboards atwww.sunless.com you will see lots of fair skintypes, incluiding Skintypes one and two with very natural brown, non orange sunless tans. Light, medium and dark tans are represended there.

All are "non UV"

Bigdog one of the Mods is a skintype one and has a great Spray on self tan. Smile She will show you a picture if you ask, she also has one in her profile I think.

I am a skintype two, also a very nice and brown spray on self tan. I am a Mod on that board, and most of our posters are light skintypes. I also have a picture in my profile there. (Vicki II/III)

Both ourselves and many others also have acheived simular results with lotions, gels, aerosols mousses etc.

St Tropez is a nice enough product, but often not a good choice for those with very fair skin. The very dark tint can cause poor fadeing and staining on some skintypes one and two, which can also create unnatural color issues.

I don't agree a sunless tan is an orange tan. I do agree it can be, just like a bleach blond "can be" brassy. But correct application, and correct product type for your needs can create a very realistuc UV free tan. And continues to do so for many.

But just like learning correct makeup application, and learning the correct products for your skintype - there is a learning curve.

Actually with most products you can shower at 4 or 6 hours, and if the correct product and application is used, wrinkles are not accented.

Companys recomend 36 hour wear to increase the dye staing effect for the added water based brown product tint. But this also cause the buildup in wrinkles. (it basically a Koolaide type dye, food grade)

But you don't have to wear it that long at all. After 4 to 6 hours the DHA porton which produces the fake tan part is already finished skin penitration - so washing at that point will not effect your tan. (from that ingrediant)

Smile
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:38 am      Reply with quote
I've done the tanning salon spray tan and it worked pretty well - look alot better than my blinding white legs I know that.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:06 am      Reply with quote
salli wrote:
look alot better than my blinding white legs I know that.

I LOVE my blinding white legs. A friend once compared them to two fluorescent light tubes Laughing

I'd love to get the skin on the rest of my body the same colour, but due to growing up in Australia I still have some residual darkening on my arms from sun damage Sad

Guess I'm in the minority here Laughing
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:08 am      Reply with quote
I have been thinking about going for the spray tan, I think it is called Mystic Tan?

I went to get a fake tan at a salon in Connecticut years ago where they exfoliated me with a scrub first, I showered it off and went back on the table where they rubbed a self-tanner on me. Well, when I left the salon I didn't look any different. And, it cost me $200!

I am going to St. Lucia in April and I am very fair and don't like laying in the sun. Anyone have any good recommendations for self-tanners, at a salon or product to use at home. I am afraid if I do it myself I will have streaks and areas that I miss, I mean how do you reach your back and other areas?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:09 am      Reply with quote
Heres the normal "white" me. See my hand compared to the white childs dress in the photo.

(sorry so bifg, should have resized it!)

heres the "tan" me. This is 100% self tanner. It is actually a professional airbrush solution, though I applyed this one with a blending pad and spray bottle.

But I can get the same look with lotions, gels, and professional spray appl;ications. (I spray myself)
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:15 am      Reply with quote
Wow Tangal, you look great in both pictures, very nice skin!

Your tan looks very natural. Is the product you use St. Tropez?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:19 am      Reply with quote
Misty Pines, there are lots of tips that can help address the issue you brought up. I suggest this link at Sunless.com. Its really not a simple quick answer. Wink Sorry. Easier for me to post answers where it is already addressed then retype it all.

http://www.sunless.com/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=265106&t=265095#reply_265106

Step By Step Guide is a great place to start first.

Streaks can be easily avoided, see these links-
Check out the LL Method. Gradualy tanners are the same thing, the drugstore version.

Specialty/Alternate Application Options:(Airbrush, Aerosol, LL, Brent)
http://www.sunless.com/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=295900&t=295900

Exfoliation and proper application pevent streaks.

Backs can be handled with an applicater brush, or a friend:

Tanning Tools used on the board, with Photos
http://www.sunless.com/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=277942&t=277942

Some people slather some lotion on a strip of platic wrap and hold both ends, streatching it across back smearing from side to side and apply that way. Smile

Lots of great links here:
http://www.sunless.com/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=266053&t=266053

And lots of folks on the messageboard are VERY helpful. Wink No question is silly to them, as they have all been beginners at one time.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:24 am      Reply with quote
No that is not St Tropez.

Though I did used to use St Tropez lotion, (also used the mousse) and its nice also. I have used over 100 self tanners. I consult with a number of companys in the self tanning industry and help them finetune and create products. I have used a number of products and post reviews on the sunless.com messageboards for our users on these products.

In that picture I am useing an Airbrush Solution, That one Vanit Tan, other good ones that give me simular results are AYU International and Tampa Bay Tan.

I also like React cosmetics. Its is nicer for those who like more of a red flushed slightly "sunburnt" looking tan.

The gradual daily tanners in drugstores are a great place to start for beginners also. Very beginner friendly.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:24 am      Reply with quote
That's a fantastic site, Tangal. Thanks for the link.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:30 am      Reply with quote
You will see me posting over there, I am the Senior Mod on that board. Thats one of my "day jobs" LOL

If you have a question, you can direct it to me over there, (I am Vicki) if you are nervouse "talking" to others. But they are all very friendly. Smile

Check out the off-topic board, and you will see what a fun group they are. LOL

Not trying to take any of you from this site, I just think that self tanning questions can get quite detailed, and that board may be better able to offer assistance for specifics.

That board is a not for profit site, and all staff are volunteers. Nether we, nor the site, get paid by you being there. Smile
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:51 am      Reply with quote
Tangal wrote:
You will see me posting over there, I am the Senior Mod on that board. Thats one of my "day jobs" LOL

If you have a question, you can direct it to me over there, (I am Vicki) if you are nervouse "talking" to others. But they are all very friendly. Smile

Check out the off-topic board, and you will see what a fun group they are. LOL

Not trying to take any of you from this site, I just think that self tanning questions can get quite detailed, and that board may be better able to offer assistance for specifics.

That board is a not for profit site, and all staff are volunteers. Nether we, nor the site, get paid by you being there. Smile

Wow, Tangal, so illuminating! See, someone berated me over in the lips2kiss forum for being an intellectual, but it's posts like yours--informed, well-written, and well-thought, that possessed me to qualify the interactions on this board in that way!

I'm woefully far behind in the self tanning category, I now see! And your tan looks nothing like out of a bottle!

--avalange

Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:57 am      Reply with quote
That whole post is a mess. Sad I think that insult was directed at me also...not sure.

Really I think people just want accurate info, which I always thought was a good thing.....

Self tanners have improved a lot, and a lot more info is currently available on how to make them work well for a variety of skintypes. Info which was not available in the past, and did help create to many orange tans. Smile

Products also have changed, as manufacterers have finetuned formulas and ingrediants and how the blends work together.

They are certainly not perfect.
But they can be an effective UV alternative for many, who choose to try that option.

Some find them a good poption, some don't. But they are worth a try.
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:16 am      Reply with quote
Tangal, thank you for such wonderful info. BTW, your "tanned" photo looks natural - actually better. What would you recommend from the drugstore that isn't expensive?

Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:43 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |