Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Suntan - is there a way to do it and not age?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
s31pr
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:51 am      Reply with quote
Hi Tangal, you are a blessing to this site!!

I wanted to ask you for a suggestion on a ST product.

I'm sort of a veteran on airbrush tanning, I have type I skin and gave up on trying to tan myself with the sun for 2 reason: skin cancer history and pre-mature wrinkles (i'm 25). I purchased a home airbrush tanning machine and I airbrush myself once a week. Don't leave home without it ever!! My airbrush solution is running out and I have been lurking the Internet for a new one but I can't seem to decide.

Any personal opinions??
I'm looking for one with:
1. an instant bronzer to see where I'm applying.
2. 10% DHA
3.quick drying

If you could recommend one that you personally know is a good one, please let me know.

Thanks!
Allie82
5% products discount

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:35 am      Reply with quote
I used to be tanorexic, I loved to subbathe and not use sunscreen.I keep my face covered. I'm still young, but my arms and legs have aged so much! I think for this year, I'll stick with a self tanner and sunscreen.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:31 am      Reply with quote
I know of many good ones. Smile

The most popular lately atwww.sunless.com are:
(in no special order) - all have either sample sizes for sale or sell an 8 oz size. All are good, and I have used them a number of times. No sure where you are, so I am giving the USA web sites. But these also do handle orders for ohter contries, though you may need a different site, but they can help you on that.

Vani-T Tan - very deep dark brown tint, stains the skin browner, creating a browner tan for a few days, much like St Tropez, Sun Labs or Fake Bake Lotion does.
I "think" they have a 10% available.
This dark tint can build up in facial pores, or cause poor fadeing on some people. But many LOVE it for the rich brown color it gives for few days. Mostly natural based ingrediants, few synthetics.www.thevanitygirl.com

AYU International - the original is the most popular, can get clear or tinted. Can get with spa type fragrance or fragrance free. (FF is good if acne prone)Low cost sample sizes on site. Click on SUNLESS PRODUCTS, then AYU ORIGINAL. (or the SAMPLE link)www.ayuinternational.com

Tampa Bay Tan - I really like their Original and their new TanFastic Product is currently my favorite. Love it. The original is mostly natural ingrediant based, few synthetics, lighter warm brown color guide.

Tanfastic has added Erythrulose, creates better fading on some people, and richer color, poorer fading on others. Both products are nice, because when you shower off the tint, your final tan is almost the exact same depth a color.www.tampabaytan.com

React Cosmetics - has a more red brown tint which stains the skin a bit, creating a redder looking self tan, tint contans FD&C colors which can cause breakouts on some, so opt for clear on the face if you are acne prone. Popular for those who like the slightly sunburned red brown tan look.www.reactcosmetics.com

All of these have a number of reviews posted atwww.sunless.com if you do a board search.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:46 am      Reply with quote
IMO - UV does so much damage really....no matter how many anti-agers are in there it will not prevent or repair the amount of damage you are getting from UV exposure.

Sure you can mitigate it some - but this is like smoking a filtered cigerette. Smile There are so many things UV breaks down in the skin - DNA, free radical damage, physical tissue breakdown of collagen and elastin, cell death, barrier distruction, more we are not even clear on yet.

There is no ingrediant anywhere that has been shown to 100% reverse all the UV damage you get while tanning.

And ingrediants that do enhance collagen production, still will not do it enough even in perfect lab conditions to repair all the collagen destroyed by UV exposure.

80-90% of all age related wrinkling, dullness, spotting, and poor skin appearance is thought to be UV damage related. This is not just from tanning, but from day to day exposure over years and years, as you go to and from work, the store etc.
s31pr
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Tangal..thanks a lot for your suggestions

I will definitely order one this week.

I have a question for you. What really is the difference between 8%DHA and 10%DHA. What I believe is that the higher the percentage, the darker the tan. Is this correct?? Also, is there a difference in the time it takes for the tan to appear, or is that the same with all percentages.

Thanks
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
Higher % is a darker tan. But darker tan can also mean it can fade poorly or dry skin more. Depending on your skin type. So one needs to get the appropriate depth for their skin type, not just the darkest.

Most skin types 2 and above can tolerate 10% fine, skin types 1 should stick with 5 to 8%. 12% is difficult for most, except darkest skin types to pull off, both because of possible off color, or poorer, faster fading.

8% is easier to maintain then 10%, and usually gets a day or two more of “nice” fadeing before exfoliation is needed.

A 10% product typically looks good on my skin (with no daily moisterizing or gradual tanner applications to boast or maintain color) for 5 to6 days. Then I exfoliate and start over, as fading is usually starting to look a bit worn.
A 12% looks good for about 3 days, and then I must exfoliate and start over. I am a skintype 2. With no UV tan.

A skintype 3 or 4 would have better fading with a 12%, then I do, because they have more skin pigment, so the contrast between white and dark is less noticeable. Wink But a 12% will still fade faster then a 10 or 8.

The DHA% does not affect development rate, which is related to other ingredients. Almost all products can be washed off at 6 hours, yet color still will continue to deepen for 12-48 hours. (Depending on ingredients)
Products can be left on longer, which give deeper staining from the added tint, but this can create poor fading on some very fair skin types. Some fair skin types, find washing off lightly at 4 hours creates the best fading and development for them. For me 6 to 8 hour wash off works nicely, though I can also wear a product overnight without issue.

Keep in mind as a frame of reference. Drugstore tanners are MUCH lighter.

Most average about 5% for a full strength product. A few of the darkest products may be as high as 6 % DHA (L’Oreal Sublime Bronze, Neutrogena Original Untinted lotion or Mousse in Extra Dark.) A product labeled dark, does not always mean dark. Wink

A couple Specially products, Sun Labs Dark Sunsation Lotion are darker (7-8% DHA) St Tropez Lotion (6-7% DHA)

Light drugstore products, or gradual daily tanners are generally 2 to 3% DHA, some of the darker graduals are 5% though.

The depth difference between 8% and 10% varies from person to person and how well your body reacts to DHA. Usually about one to one half shade darker overall. But you may notice difference in fading, streaking or skin dryness. The more DHA in a product, the more issues you may have.

Beginners tend to do best with 5% levels or below. (Depending on skintype)
Experienced do well with products as high as 8-10%
s31pr
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks a million Tangal.

I will be purchasing the TanFantastic from Tampa Bay Tan in 8% and let you know how it goes.

I was currently using a gallon that came with my home airbrush machine but I hated the smell, it was really drying and by the time I was reaching the end of the gallon, I noticed it was turning a bit green.

Thanks again.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
which product were you useing?

When buying gallons, decant into smaller container that limit air amount in container. (8 or 16 oz opaque bottles are good)

Store extra in fridge or cool area, only keeping one container out at a time. Donot store under sink, heat in batroom from showering, or heat from hot water pipes under sink can degrade product.

Heat, light and air exposure (inside container) can cause the product tint dyes to breakdown faster creating the green tint. The dyes used are red, green, and yellow. Red degrades first leaving green Smile

Once the dyes start to degrade the rest of the product can also breakdown, which will effect devloment, fadeing scent etc.
s31pr
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
I bought my at home machine at Paasche, so I just bought the solution they manufacture.

Yes, I figured it was degraded. Not only because of the green color, but also because I noticed the color I was getting was much lighter than before, I had to re-apply much often.
TheSkinGirl82
5% products discount

Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:15 pm      Reply with quote
Here is the thing. Most tanners come in a few shades of brown. Well if you have natural pink tones to your skin you are going to come out pinky-brown....if you are yellow toned you are going to come out a bit browner and what a real tan would look like. At my spa I work at we do California tan. Its not like a mystic booth, its an airbrush and it looks awesome. Its around the country so check it out.

In my experience as an esthetician I see many women who have tanned in thier youth and look at least 15 years older then thier age. On the flip side I have seen women in thier 60's who look like they are 40. Sun damage is one of the number one things that age skin. Not to mention skin cancer! The fact is 70% of people in the United States will have some form of skin cancer in thier life time. That is so scary! So get spray tanned if you really have to be brown....or in my opinion be one with your whiteness! haha
System
Automatic Message
Tue May 07, 2024 5:41 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) DeVita Solar Protect SPF 30 with Aloe-Hyplex (50 ml / 1.7 oz) HydroPeptide Anti-Wrinkle Power Luxe (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |