Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Scams - My pet peeve
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, so there was someone at the door just now. Car full of people in the driveway. Young lady rings the doorbell. Hubby goes to see and when he comes back, he tells me she said she was sick and needed to go to the hospital and only has $3.00. He told her we don't keep any money around (the truth) but the police station is 2 doors down and they help in an emergency. She took off and the car sped away. We live 1 block off the town square on a state highway that runs through town. 2-3 times a year someone comes to the door with a story like this. And, it's always late at night.

Thing is, this scares me sometimes, you know?

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
That IS really scary ... I mean, what if your husband wasn't home? That's why I never open the door unless it's someone I know or I'm expecting something like a delivery. You just don't know these days.
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:57 am      Reply with quote
Moonstarr wrote:
That IS really scary ... I mean, what if your husband wasn't home? That's why I never open the door unless it's someone I know or I'm expecting something like a delivery. You just don't know these days.

I completely agree! Maybe I'm just overly paranoid or something, but if the doorbell rings and I'm not expecting anyone, I sneak up to the peephole thing (I think that that's what you would call it Laughing ) on the door and look through. If it's not someone I know, I just keep watching until they go away. Its also nice to have a dog barking when someone is at the door. And with ours, its not a quiet little bark, but a loud husky rough sounding one. I cant imagine not having a peephole in the door, but I know of a few people who live in such developments who's doors weren't outfitted with ones.

For us, its always the same pair (two women) in either a van or SUV, coming and trying to sell us encyclopedias, bibles, a different religion, etc. I just don't open the door anymore Not talking Shhh

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:30 am      Reply with quote
OMG.
I definitely wouldn't open the door. My next door neighbour had her handbag stolen out of her kitchen ages ago & she hadn't heard a thing. They must have snuck in through the backdoor.

Isn't it awful when we have to lock ourselves in our own houses because there are so many thieving B's about.

Gone are the days you could leave the front door unlocked and nobody would even dream of walking in.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:05 am      Reply with quote
We always lock the doors when we're in the house - you just never know who's about. I won't answer the door either if I'm in the house on my own. Depressing state of affairs though.
I'm Kiki
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:27 am      Reply with quote
I never answer the door if I don't know who it is.. I sneak up and look out the kitchen window.. If I can't see them, I'm 'specially careful... I have a long window next to the front door, that I keep the slat blinds closed at all times, so they can't see in.. I do have them closed so I can see out, from a far distance...

Just can't take chances!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:58 am      Reply with quote
That IS scary, Arielle...good thing your husband was home! It's sad that we have to be so careful these days, but there are just so many weird and possibly dangerous people out there... Crying or Very sad

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:22 am      Reply with quote
I'm glad he was home, too. But, with all the crazies out there, I worry about him going to the door, too. What makes it difficult in this house is that it's a big old sprawling 65-year old Tudor Revival, has 7 outside doors, tons of windows and the top one-third of 4 of those doors is glass. So, it's almost impossible to look out without being seen. We have no residential neighbors except for a pretty rough apartment complex across the street. I'd move in a heartbeat but hubby loves this house. Oh, well.

Ari

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:20 am      Reply with quote
Well, I just got an e-mail posing a possible risk for anyone that gets out of their car Confused . It has to do with about the same situations so I thought I'd share in hopes of helping someone. I'm not sure about how true the events described in it are, but a possible risk is presented that can be avoided.

***BTW, these are NOT my experiences, the email was sent as a first person encounter for others to read as a chain mail, not my encounter ***

LADIES - BE CAREFUL AS YOU GO FOR YOUR COFFEE AND DIET COKES!!!

Be careful...

Know what money you are carrying! You will see why as you read!Share with it your wife and daughters. This was the first I have
heard of a scheme like this..... I wanted to pass it along. Criminals are coming up with craftier, less threatening methods of
attack, so we have to be extra cautious.
Read on. I live in Alexandria, VA, but I often work in Lafayette, LA, staying with friends when I'm there. As you know from America's
Most Wanted TV program, as well as the news media, there is a serial killer in the Lafayette area. I just want to let you know about an "incident" that happened to me a few weeks ago, and could have been deadly. At first I didn't go to the police or anyone with it because I didn't realize how serious this encounter was. Since I work in a jail and
I told a few people about it, it wasn't long before I was paraded into Internal Affairs to tell them my story. It was approximately
5:15 a.m. in Opelousas, La. I had stayed with a friend there and was on my way to work.
I stopped at the Exxon/Blimpie Pie station to get gas. I got $10 gas and a Diet Coke. I took into the store two $5 bills and one $1
bill (just enough to get my stuff).As I pulled away from the store, a man approached my truck from the back side of the store (an unlit area). He was an "approachable-looking" man (clean cut, clean shaven, dressed well, etc.).
He walked up to my window and knocked. Since I'm very paranoid and "always looking for the rapist or killer," I didn't open the window.
I just asked what he wanted. He raised a $5 bill to my window and said, "You dropped this. " Since I knew I had gone into the store
with a certain amount of money, I knew I didn't drop it. When I told him it wasn't mine, he began hitting the window and door,
screaming at me to open my door, and insisting that I had dropped the money! At that point, I just drove away as fast as I could. After
talking to the Internal Affairs Department and describing the man I saw, and the way he escalated from calm and polite to angry and
volatile....it was determined that I could have possibly encountered the serial killer myself.
Up to this point, it had been unclear as to how he had gained access to his victims, since there has been no evidence of forced entry
into victim's homes, cars, etc. The fact that he has been attacking in the daytime, when women are less likely to have their guard up, means he is pretty BOLD. So think about it...what gesture is nicer than returning money to someone that dropped it????? How many times would you have opened your window (or door) to get your money and say thank you... because if the person is kind enough to return something to you, then he can't really be a
threat....can he???? Please be cautious! This might not have been the serial killer... but anyone that gets that angry over someone
not accepting money from them, can't have honorable intentions. The most important thing to note is that his reaction was NOT WHAT I
EXPECTED! A total surprise! But what might have happened if I had opened my door? I shudder to think! Forward this to everyone you know...maybe they can be as fortunate
as I was! P.S. Ladies, really DO forward this to EVERYONE you know. Even if this man wasn't a serial killer, he looked nice, he seemed polite, he was apparently doing an act of kindness, but HE WAS NOT A NICE PERSON!!!
Men send it to all the women in your life. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. Make it a good one! Please forward to anyone you think might benefit from my story.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
I work downtown Los Angeles & frequently have people come in the office with sad stories of how they need money. Since, I'm often alone at the reception desk, it can be VERY scary. Even with an emergency alarm, I have had some very uncomfortable transients. I'm glad your husband is there. I think your best option is to not open the door. If you feel like you have to say something, tell them you're contagious & can't open the door.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
girldelvov wrote:
Well, I just got an e-mail posing a possible risk for anyone that gets out of their car Confused . It has to do with about the same situations so I thought I'd share in hopes of helping someone. I'm not sure about how true the events described in it are, but a possible risk is presented that can be avoided.

While I agree of course we should always be careful and attuned to our surroundings, I'd just like to point out that the "Lafayette Serial Killer" email is an urban legand/hoax.
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/hoaxes/hoaxDetails.asp?HName=Lafayette+Serial+Killer+Hoax

While this one is pretty innocuous, passing on chain emails like this can often do more harm than good, since they usually contain substantial misinformation. My mother is constantly forwarding cautionary emails of one sort or another, and if it sounds strange, I always do a google search before passing it on.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
As such, though, the warning can be taken to be more careful when out and about. I've learned enough about this world to be cautious. I'm sure those with "evil intent" can think of so many ways to make us let down our guard.

On another note about that story, I find it interesting that the person was driving from Opelousas to Lafayette to go to work. That's a bit of a hike even on a fairly nice highway like 49. I'm sure it happens, though. (I grew up about 6 miles from Opelousas.)

Ari

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:

On another note about that story, I find it interesting that the person was driving from Opelousas to Lafayette to go to work. That's a bit of a hike even on a fairly nice highway like 49. I'm sure it happens, though. (I grew up about 6 miles from Opelousas.)

Ari

Considering I'm not that good with geography, Embarassed , I had/ have no idea how far or close these places are... Anxious The story itself and the point behind it was what made it interesting to me. To each their own I guess, lol Smile .

Honestly, I don't really think it matters if you have a drive that is 5 min long or an hour long. The point is, is that situations like this could happen. Its sort of like hearing about people coming up to women in the parking lots and seeing if they'd smell their perfume (to buy it), where it is actually the thing that knocks you unconscious. Then they get in the car, etc, etc. I mean, yes urban legends are just stories, but there is always at least a bit of useful info in most of them, and not just there to make you paranoid. Just a personal opinion though Wink .

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
Unless someone hears me walking up on the other side of the door (and I try to be quiet as I approach), I look through the peephole also and I don't answer if I don't know the people. When we built the entryway of my house, I didn't want the sidelight glass panes or glass on my front door for that reason. Privacy and hopefully safety too.
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
marci65 wrote:
When we built the entryway of my house, I didn't want the sidelight glass panes or glass on my front door for that reason. Privacy and hopefully safety too.

We have one of those side glass panes next to our door. Its as tall as the door and is pretty wide. It scares me to think about people breaking in that way, but it would be the easiest thing to do. There's a curtain there, but that doesn't mean that you cant go through it... Confused Not having one like that would, of course be much safer. So, good call on your part, marci, when you guys built your home

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:18 am      Reply with quote
my god, unless we are all going out together for the day or evening, we never lock our door even at night!

and I'm not giving out my address to anyone now! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
I really hate this.. I always double lock my door before going back to sleep.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
The very same scam - of needing money for a journey - came to our front door, and my husband opened the door. He is Mr Gullible, so he went and got £5 and gave it to her "so she could take her mother to the hospital".

The funny things is, the next day I was out walking and a woman approached me who seemed just a wee bit Under The Influence, and she began her spiel about needing £5 for taking her ma to the Hospital.

She seemd quite put out when I explained her mother must surely already BE at the hospital, as we had paid for her to go there the previous night.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:23 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |