Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Salt exfoliant experience
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
krz
5% products discount

Fri May 21, 2004 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
Its been almost 2 weeks now and experimenting with using salt as my exfoliant. I know this may seem daunting to others, but Im the kind of person who likes to experience things first hand.

Basically I've been using my facial cleanser with a finger tip, or two, of salt. This basically acts as my exfoliant agent. It seems to be doing a good job in removing blackheads and my face feels much smoother afterwards.

I exfoliate like this atleast 2 times a week. However, Im still quite worried about this method. I also feel bothered that salt might be rough on facial skin causing it to scar while it removes dead skin. So in practice, although this method may feel right, it may be causing problems? What are your insights on this matter?

Then again I cannot compare the results with appropriate products as I have never tried them in the first place, yet.

Im also aware about the other manual methods, like using sugar and essential oils, and other varieties. Im just curioius whether the manual method is considered as 'just OK' or a hazard in the long term.

Krz
queenpedauque
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 21, 2004 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
Well, this method of using salt has alot of followers. I have even heard of a well known model using the salt/oil/lemon as her cleanser. I have used this in the past with good results but I used olive oil on wet skin followed with lemon juice(fresh) and the salt to scrub with on top. My skin did fine this way. This was my cleanser and it has been recommended by some very old wrinkle free women.
I used this 2x a day with the result being just good healthy skin.
I used to follow the cleansing with a toner just to be sure I got rid of all the oil.
I don't use this now. Not becasue I didn't like the way my skin looked but I do switch my skincare around.
Something wonderful to do is use the salt and olive oil with maybe a few drops of essential oil in the shower as a body scrub. Just be careful becasue oil makes the floor or bottom of the tub slippery. Shock
bbiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2004 7:12 am      Reply with quote
hey, I have also tried this too!!!! In fact, a lot of books have talked about this method of exfoliation. To do this, you have to use the right kind of salt and the right method, otherwise, it's hurting your skin.

The salt that you should use, obviously, is not the type of the salt you add into your meal. They suggest using the seasalt with least processing procedures but purification. As for the exfoliation, should be very careful, you should have abt a tsp of salt in your palm, and wet it with luke warm water, spread salt all over your palm, with gentle and mild action, you just want to press and massage at the local area instead of smoothing salt all over your face, after that, steam your face for some minutes and wash it away with luke warm water. This method is supposed to help remove excess oil and help increase circulation, also, some authors suggested using salt for all parts of the body including hair.

Personally, I think it's not a bad option, my skin felt soft and moisturized with these procedures, but I stopped doing so just b/c of 1) it doesnt seem too hygenic to me, 2) the procedures take time, 3) my eyes felt itching with salt, 4) it can be a mess.
Mabsy

Sat May 22, 2004 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
I've made my own body salt scrub and use it in the shower now and again. Basically it contains table salt and a mix of almond oil with some essential oils. Leaves my skin smooth and moisturised - but I'll definitely repeat Queenpedauque's warning - makes the floor of your shower VERY slippery Embarassed Confused You also have to be very gentle or you might end up with some scratches on your skin (salt + scratches = ouchy!).

Mabsy
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2004 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, that's the thing with salt and sugar homemade scrubs. The grains can be sharp and can cause minuscule scratches on your skin. The scrubbing grains that you buy usually have been tumbled quite a bit to round off all sharp edges. One of the big complaints by skin care gurus about ground up apricot shells (used very often in scrubs) is that the shell grains are sharp and can cause more problems than they solve. I used to use the Body Shop's Azuki beans (ground up). They called the product "japanese cleansing grains" and then they discontinued. Such a bummer. You could mix the grains with anything, cleanser, oils, moisturizer, etc and have your own exfoliant. Sigh....
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2004 7:19 am      Reply with quote
My homemade scrub (face and/or body suitable) base is GROUND RICE! This is the ingredient used in a lot of 'natural' products, including Neal's Yard Remedies.

You can pre-mix larger quanties and it keeps for up to 2 months (in the fridge is best).

Ingredients:
1 tbsp kaolin, 2 tbsp ground rice (from Asian supermarkets), 1tbsp orange flower water/orange blossom infusion (or even rosewater or lavender water), 1 tbsp warmed honey, 3 drops of essential oil (1 each of orange, geranium, juniper or lavender and geranium/rose if using rosewater).

Mix the kaolin and ground rice (in mortar and pestle is best), at the flower water and warmed honey and mix thoroughly. Then add the essential oils and mix toroughly.

When using, mix with a small amount of water and massagle lightly in small circular movements. Rinse with warm water.

It is not messy, easy to make, easy to use and your skin feels wonderful afterwards.
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2004 7:30 am      Reply with quote
That sounds so wonderful...can you please mix up and market so I can buy and not have to make...? Wink
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2004 7:56 am      Reply with quote
Laughing well, Neal's Yard Remedies might get upset at that.. but you can buy it from their web site. They are an English company (original store is in Covent Garden), but thye have a US online shopping site.

http://www.nealsyardremediesusa.com/ Just go under skincare/cleansers and yo will find the honey/orange scrub. It comes in 2 sizes, the smaller 2.12 oz tub being $25

when I first made it, I just looked at their ingredients and came home and whipped it up. Then I bought their "receipe" book and the scrub is in that (just confirmed what I had been doing, but different ratios)

OH and if you are on the site and buying something.. go to the "accessories" page and pick up the REMEDIES TO ROLL FOR TRAVEL if you take long-haul flights. It is wonderful! I even used to use it at night before bed (now I just do straight lavender oil on the wrist)
krz
5% products discount

Fri May 28, 2004 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks all for the reply. I think I will try to make my own personal scrub soon enough. Seems like a challenging and interesting task.

tiger_tim, just wondering. How did you come about making your own scrub? Did you read a book that told you the ingredients or just learned through experience? or other Very Happy
krz
5% products discount

Fri May 28, 2004 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
BTW, regarding the sharpness on the grains of salt. Can't one just ground/mash them repetitively to make sure that the sharpness will be smoother?

There is no guarantee that the smoothness will be like the exfoliating grains you buy from branded products, but maybe it can be smoother and less skin-damaging?
bbiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 28, 2004 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
krz:
I think you will need "technologies" to do so .... just like the cosmetic industry does, e.g. microexfoliant. However, the salt thing is more of a home-style type of thing, you are right, by grinding them repetitively may help reduce the granule sizes and make them less skin-damaging, but it may not smooth out the granules.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 29, 2004 3:49 am      Reply with quote
when I first made my ground rice scrub, I just stole the list of ingredients off the Neal's Yard Remedies jar. Laughing

Then later I bought the NYR "make your own skin care" book and in it was the recipe for this scrub!! But they list it as a body scrub and also they use a mortar and pestle to mix, so that would "smooth" down grains in salts, sugars or other ground products.. I mean that was all one used to have for grinding up powders in an apothecary Smile
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |