Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
Obagi Maintenance info
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lola
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:42 am      Reply with quote
Hello Ladies and Gents,

I am considerting the Obagin system for my skin and it is my understanding that it's about $360 through my Derm. I also understand that I have to use the maintenance system afterwards to help the results last. Now, my question is if anyone who uses the maintenance could give me an idea of how much it runs? I know using it initially is expensive, but am I going to constantly have to spend a fortune just to maintain it?

Any ideas on what I'd be using after the initial treatment and or price estimates would be great!!

Oh yes, in case this helps. At the moment I have pretty good skin--combination--oily t-zone normal cheeks. The Derm said I have some deep damage from roasting in the sun in high school, lots of freckling. Lately my chin area will not stop breakin out though.

Thanks!! Exclamation

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not an exert on Obagi by any means, but have seen lots of posts both on EDS and other forums re pros & cons of Obagi system, both for long-term & short-term use & costs involved. You might try looking at the Personal Formulator's forum as well.

My own experience with Obagi is limited to using the 15% Vit C serum which I purchased in Nov. 06. Find it too drying for regular use for my combo skin (which others also experience) and it contains sodium lauryl sulfate. A google search on SLS turned up info that disturbed me.

Many on EDS forum very leary about anything that contains SLS as now I am & have decided not to use a leave-on skin product listing it as an ingredient. The OBAGI forum thread has additional info.

You will no doubt decide what is best for you but I for one have reconsidered the value of OBAGI as a system, more especially when considering the cost.

All the best
angelina
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using Obagi. The only active ingredients are found in #3,4,5 and 6.
#4 is Exfoderm- you can replace this with other exfoliating serums which cost lest.
#6 is sunscreen- There are better ones out there.

I use #3 and #5. That's all you need. I pay about $70-$80 Cdn for it and it lasts for months.

Use this with vitamin C and other stuff you learned from this or other skincare boards and you'll be fine.
LeeBee
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
Hithere, I've been a faithful Obagi user for over 2 years. After about 9 mos., my derm told me to go on maintenance. It is really just a scaled back version of the full program, alternating full day and night regimes with simple sunscreen (day) and moisturizer (days and night). My estimate is that it would cut the cost in approx. half. I chose to stay on the full program (with my drs. ok) because I just find the results so incredible.BTW, I am using .05 retin-a, not the stronger .1% I agree with the previous poster that certain steps can probably be successfully substituted---for instance, I don't use the obagi cleansers,sunscreens and rarely use their moisturizer (Action) though I own it and like it.
lola
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:40 am      Reply with quote
Thank you everyone for the great suggestions!

I am considering Obagi for sun damage and lots of chin breakouts, but the deep kind. I had one of those tests done where it shows you how much UV damage you have under the surface, well I've got lots. My skin pretty much looked completely dark. I've had 3 photofacials in combination with 6 microdermabration treatments, but I still have alot of freckling that I'd like to diminish or remove. Soo, that's why I've been considering it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
LeeBee - Have you used the .05% the entire time you have been on the system? I'm actually about to start the nu-derm myself but have not gone to a dermatologist. Embarassed My plan is to find a derm if I feel I need assistance during the process. Otherwise it was just too expensive to buy this system through them.

I purchased the .05% and was wondering if it was as effective for the full 18-week treatment as the .1%. I used a .04% retin-a micro in the past and my face was always red and peeling, which is why I'm concerned with starting out on the .1%. I figure if I don't get the peeling with the .05% I can always up it.

I would also like some input on what the typical intensive treatment looks like (am/pm application)? Is it basically the same as the application layout on the Obagi website (i.e. all products used twice daily except Exfoderm in the am and retin-A in the pm only)? Or has your derm advised you to use it in another way? Thanks in advance!

lola - I guess we can go through this together. When do you start?
lola
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:06 am      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99--I haven't started yet. I was trying to figure out if I could buy the system cheaper online than at the Derm's office. At their office I think it's about $360!
I am just a bit worried that online I wont buy the right products. I would love to start this together!
Where have you purchased your Obagi?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:29 am      Reply with quote
lola - I got mine here, before I realized EDS sold it Embarassed :

www.skintrigue.com

I'm actually glad I bought it from them since the total was $315, they didn't charge for shipping, AND they sent a free full-size toner. They're out of Austin and since I'm in Dallas I got mine next day.

What did % retin-A did you derm prescribe? I'm still waiting on my .05% to arrive before I can start. Did the derm say to use all products (including retin-A) every single day, and if so did he/she ever mention to back off on anything if your skin gets too irritated? That's the part I'm concerned about.

I'm glad we can go through this together!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
tamgirl - I just have to ask you why you have chosen obagi for your skin? I have seen 2 pictures of you here on EDS, and you are just gorgeous. Sorry to butt in, but I just was curious what your skin concerns are. Hope I am not being too nosey! Very Happy
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:12 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
tamgirl - I just have to ask you why you have chosen obagi for your skin? I have seen 2 pictures of you here on EDS, and you are just gorgeous. Sorry to butt in, but I just was curious what your skin concerns are. Hope I am not being too nosey! Very Happy

You are too sweet! Thanks rileygirl! For the most part my skin is okay. However, I have a ton of little brown spots all over (age spots/freckles) and I am also very prone to actinic keratosis (sp?) and have had 3 spots already removed from my face. When I went in for my facial, she mentioned this line to me and after seeing the befores and afters and doing my online research, I was sold. I am primarily using it for two reasons: 1. get rid of hyperpigmentation/age spots and overall even skin tone 2. tighten the very enlarged pores on my cheek area. These pores are so large and due to a slight slackening they look like tiny lines running down my cheeks.

I guess I should be grateful that neither of these issues show up well in pictures but I promise they are definitely there. I spent many years in tanning beds (including my face many times! Shock ) and now have plenty of sun damage to show for it. I was trying the TCA/CP's to eliminate the brown spots, but that was taking forever to spot treat since I have so many. I also hope to improve my neck and chest which also has many age spots as well.

I do plan to try and take before and after pics, and will post here if I get some good ones. I just can't figure out how to take good pics to show problem areas. They all blur out with the various lighting I have tried.

Lola - I read a good tip that you can apply A&D zinc oxide cream (diaper rash cream) to the areas lightly at night after your Obagi/retin-a and it will greatly help reduce redness and irritation without interrupting the products. I plan to purchase some tonight. I hope my retin-A has arrived since I can't wait to start and get the uglies over with!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
I understand Tamgirl. Thanks for answering. I still think your gorgeous, though!
Rebecstar1
5% products discount

Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:02 am      Reply with quote
I am on Obagi too. I purchased my items online fromwww.spalook.com I did some research and figured I only needed #3, #4 & #5. I also started with the .05%. I really wasn't having that much peeling w/ the .05%. I had Botox and the doctor told me I needed to bump it up to 1%. He said only people w/ REALLY sensitive skin should use the .05%. I love Obagi and my mother is using it too. I can totally see a big improvement in her skin. Shock
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:48 am      Reply with quote
Rebecstar1 wrote:
I am on Obagi too. I purchased my items online fromwww.spalook.com I did some research and figured I only needed #3, #4 & #5. I also started with the .05%. I really wasn't having that much peeling w/ the .05%. I had Botox and the doctor told me I needed to bump it up to 1%. He said only people w/ REALLY sensitive skin should use the .05%. I love Obagi and my mother is using it too. I can totally see a big improvement in her skin. Shock

How long have you been on it and at what point (week) did you switch to the .1%? I am going to go ahead and buy the .1% since I'm sure I will need to bump mine as well, but since I was extremely red/peely with retin-a micro .04% I want to start out a bit slow.

My esthetician also recommended that at 4 weeks I have a microdermabrasion treatment to get rid of the dead skin build up, but I think that may be too much. Has anyone else been recommended this or something similar?
Rebecstar1
5% products discount

Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:08 am      Reply with quote
I switched after about 3 weeks. My mom does not want to get too red and peely so she uses hers every other night. She has the 1%. I got a regular facial after my 2nd week of Obagi and the woman doing it said the dead skin was really coming off heavy. I loved it. My skin felt so good!
lola
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:12 am      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99

I have yet to purchase my Obagi line, I searched Skintrigue.com and there are about 5 groups of Obagi Nuderm, I'm not really sure which one I should purchase. How does anyone figure it out?
Also, I have to wait until next week when I have my dermatologist appointment so that I can get my prescription for Retin-A.

I'll let you know when I've got everything with me. Also, I'm a bit worried because of all the constant peeling. I'm an Actress and go on alot of auditions. Am I going to look disgusting for several months? I feel like I will just be a peeling mess! lol

To anyone who's already using it, will my skin just be a red scaly mess for months? Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
lola - you can buy the Obagi line right here on EDS and I would recommend you do that. Skintrigue did charge for shipping, it was my retin-a that didn't get charged (from another site). You can probably get a better deal though EDS anyway.

The different kits are basically the same with the exception of the cleansers and AHA lotions. The "forte" is the stronger of the 2 AHA's although I can't remember what else it has in it (lactic acid maybe?). The cleansers are for normal/dry and normal/oily. I went with the gentle cleanser (dry) and milder AHA since I know this system will overly dry my skin if I'm not too careful.

Also - the peeling/redness is different for everyone. I would expect to peel and be red for the first two weeks for sure. After that will depend on your skin and application. The A&D zinc oxide cream is supposed to greatly help the redness though so I would suggest picking that up if you have any problems.

Rebecstar1 - I have ordered the .1% as well and will play it by ear. I'm planning to start off using all products daily and if I'm not getting any major peeling/redness from the .05%, I'll slowly add the .1% in until I can use it daily. Thanks for the info about the facial. I'll have to keep the microderm in mind! Very Happy
noleRN
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
Lola,
I've been on Obagi Nuderm for about 4 months and my peeling has almost stopped. However, my friend that has been on it for 9 months is still peeling alot. Everyone is different, but I think the worst of the peeling for everyone is in the first 6 weeks. I found that I can get rid of alot of the dead skin by scrubbing my face gently with a wash cloth and then minimize what is left with their moisturizer (Action). You can also lay off the products for a few days if you know you have an audition coming up and the peeling will stop. The only products you really need IMO are #4Exfoderm(Exfoderm Forte is for oily skin I think), #3Clear(skin lightener) and #5Blender(this is what you mix with the Retin-A). I bought the whole kit, but after they run out I will use my own cleanser, toner and sunscreen. HTH.
lola
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99- Thank you so very much for the great info! That makes alot more sense. I will probably buy from EDS then. I suppose it will be a little while longer before I start, since I have to wait for my kit to come in and also for my Retin-A

NoleRN- What you said makes sense, I know everyone's skin will react to products differently. And I do suppose I could just lay off a few days when I have an audition. I guess I'll see soon enough how my skin will react. Smile

I'll post when I finally get everything in and I'm ready to start.

TAMgirl99- Have you started yet? When do you plan to if you haven't?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
lola - I'm just waiting for my retin-a to arrive. The website said 7-14 days so I should have it within a week. I will start the night I get it. Keep me posted on your items as well! Very Happy
aramel
5% products discount

Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
Is there anything else that works along the same lines as the Obagi system that doesn't have the same price tag?

I have been looking and reading the reviews here and on their website for a couple of months trying to decide if I should give it a try.

I see there is two lines, the Nuderm and the Vit C. Am I correct in thinking that the Vit. C line is for minor problems and the Nuderm for more damaged skin?
Also if your skin is sensitive do you think that the Nuderm would be too harsh?
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
aramel - I'm sure there are other products that are equally effective, but Obagi puts them all together for you so I guess your paying for convenience along with the savings you get from trying useless products to get the same effect. Of course nothing works for everyone anyways, but there are many people out there who swear by Obagi.

I would suggest that you go to a derm if you are interested in this line, or really to just address any concerns you may have with your skin. I think the vit-c Obagi line isn't as intense and the Nu-derm is the powerhouse of the two when it comes to hyperpigmentation/freckles/etc. but again a derm could tell you more. Good luck in your search!
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:51 am      Reply with quote
Just thought I'd post an update since I started the Nu-derm system 2 nights ago. On the first day my skin had a slight pink tint to it, but it actually looked good and I even got some compliments. Today it's a bit pinker but still not very noticeable and my chin is already peeling! My skin also feels dry and tight so I expect the rest to peel over the next day as well. I think the key is to start slowly and see how your skin adapts. I haven't had any pain of any sort and will plan to back off if I do.

By the way, I am only using the .05% and since I'm already having a nice change I will plan to stick to that until my skin normalizes, then move up to the .1% slowly. I guess my skin is just more sensitive to retin-a than most, since many don't seem to have any redness/peeling at all with the .05%.
Rebecstar1
5% products discount

Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:59 am      Reply with quote
I will update also.. I have been using the 1% on my neck.. trying to tone down the lines. Well it is working!!! My neck is starting to peel where the lines are. But it itches too! So it's RED!!! REDNECK!! LOL. But I don't mind, No pain no gain Bad Grin Bad Grin
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:01 am      Reply with quote
Rebecstar1 wrote:
I will update also.. I have been using the 1% on my neck.. trying to tone down the lines. Well it is working!!! My neck is starting to peel where the lines are. But it itches too! So it's RED!!! REDNECK!! LOL. But I don't mind, No pain no gain Bad Grin Bad Grin

Are you using it on your neck every night? I'm actually using all of the products on my neck/chest but only adding the blender/retin-a every other night for now. My neck tends to be really sensitive so I'm going to take it a bit slower than my face. Thanks for your update!
Rebecstar1
5% products discount

Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:13 am      Reply with quote
I have been switching from .05 to 1% every other night. But my neck and chest really react to it. I may just stick with the .05% for now. People are going to think I am infected with some radioactive virus! Face peeling, neck and chest bright red and peeling!! LOL
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:29 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |