Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Nivea v Creme de La Mer
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:36 am      Reply with quote
here are Creme de la Mer ingredients:

SEAWEED (ALGAE) EXTRACT [] MINERAL OIL\PARAFFINUM LIQUIDUM\HUILE MINERALE [] PETROLATUM [] GLYCERIN [] ISOHEXADECANE [] CITRUS AURANTIFOLIA (LIME) EXTRACT [] MICROCRYSTALLINE WAX \CERA MICROCRISTALLINA\CIRE MICROCRISTALLINE [] LANOLIN ALCOHOL [] SESAMUM INDICUM (SESAME) SEED OIL [] EUCALYPTUS GLOBULUS (ECALYPTUS) LEAF OIL [] MAGNESIUM SULFATE [] SESAMUM INDICUM (SESAME) SEED [] MEDICAGO SATIVA (ALFALFA) SEED POWDER [] HELIANTHUS ANNUUS (SUNFLOWER) SEEDCAKE [] PRUNUS AMYGDALUS DULCIS (SWEET ALMOND) SEED MEAL [] SODIUM GLUCONATE [] POTASSIUM GLUCONATE [] COPPER GLUCONATE [] CALCIUM GLUCONATE [] MAGNESIUM GLUCONATE [] ZINC GLUCONATE [] PARAFFIN [] TOCOPHERYL SUCCINATE [] NIACIN [] BETA-CAROTENE [] DECYL OLEATE [] ALUMINUM DISTEARATE [] OCTYLDODECANOL [] CITRIC ACID [] CYANOCOBALAMIN [] MAGNESIUM STEARATE [] PANTHENOL [] LIMONENE [] GERANIOL [] LINALOOL [] HYDROXYCITRONELLAL [] CITRONELLOL [] BENZYL SALICYLATE [] CITRAL [] METHYLCHLOROISOTHIAZOLINONE [] METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE [] ALCOHOL DENAT. [] FRAGRANCE (PARFUM)

Compare to Nivea Creme:

Triple Purified Water, Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Glycerin, Isohexadecane, Microcrystalline Wax, Lanolin Alcohol, Paraffin, Panthenol, Magnesium Sulfate, Decyl Oleate, Octyldodecanol, Aluminum Stearate, Fragrance, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Citric Acid, Magnesium Stearate

The two have these ingredients in common:

Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Glycerin, Isohexadecane, Microcrystalline Wax, Lanolin Alcohol, Paraffin, Panthenol, Magnesium Sulfate, Decyl Oleate, Octyldodecanol, Fragrance, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Citric Acid, Magnesium Stearate

Funny how the ingredients are so similar, save for several plant extracts, but 6 oz. of Nivea is $7.00, while just 1 oz of Creme de la Mer is $110. Great, huh?
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:08 am      Reply with quote
Skincare,

This is brilliant!!!!!!!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

La mer is, in my opinion, one of the biggest hoaxes in the skincare business... When I worked at an agency that represents mu artists who do lots of celebs, they overwhelmed us with full size gratis... They also give it out in droves as swag... Celebs do use it, but they don't know or care what is in it... which amounts to a bunch of garden variety chemicals. I can't even believe that they just list "algae gel" as the main ingredient--what kind of algae gel? You might as well just put vaseline on your face.

Anyways, thanks for this.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for posting this! I get where you are coming from and the suggestion is compelling to say the least - it is VERY interesting!Very Happy but I still think you need to consider both how the treatment is formulated as well as the purity and concentration of each of the ingredients...Additionally,IMHO, plant extracts in a treatment product often represent the heart (or close to the heart) of the treatment formulation...The nivea is missing those elements (I think..)...But your point is excellent...it makes me want to look at some other products and do the same kind of comparison..I'd like to do the same comparison with Strivectin and a less expensive equivalent..Also: I wonder if we could find out how much of the active ingredients are in the products we use...From what I understand, a company can put a few drops of something in a vat of treatment and then make the ingredient claim on a package..Isn't that true?
Puds
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:54 am      Reply with quote
Most of the time La Mer seems overpriced and worthless to me ... but when my skin is really dry and stressed (beach vacation), it works wonders.

I now purchase the sea kelp bioferment (the stuff that is supposedly the active in La Mer) and the Creme de la Mer DIY kit from Skinactives. I notice a HUGE difference with skb ... I use it on my skin, hair and body!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
I agree La Mer is way over priced. I tried it once, I didn't feel anything amazing.
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
I've been dyin to try la mer- but it is sooo expensive!

I'm glad to know that no one has really posted it as a miracle cream. I think I might go out and buy some Nivea instead!
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
I would try Osea's Advanced Protection Cream (I'm always touting this brand, but it's been my fave for so many years!)... It is an 'active' and more legit version, so to speak, of creme de la mer's cream. Here are the ingredients:

Advanced Protection Cream
2 oz.

Price:$96.00

Benefits/ Features:
This High tech combination of sea minerals, amino acids, vitamins, botanical oils and trace elements stimulates collagen production, reduces wrinkles and helps to even out hyper-pigmentation. DPHP, the second ingredient is 65% more effective than Vitamin C and stimulates cells by tightening and toning tissue. The Red Algae combines with the Amino Acids and proteins of skins surface to correct imperfections and reduce the appearance of fine and wrinkles. This is the ultimate treatment moisturizer.

Ingredients:
100% Natural Derived Ingredients. Red Algae Extract (Chondrus Crispus), Dipalmitoyl Hydroxyproline (DPHP), Coco Caprylate/Caprate (Coconut Emolliant), Glyceride Wax, Cetearyl Glucoside (Coconut & Corn Emulsifier), Olive Squalane, Glycerin, Aloe Vera, Algae Extract, Macadamia Nut Oil, Grape Seed Oil, Jojoba Oil, Capryloyl Glycin (Amino Acid), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Avocado Oil, Undecylenoyl Glycin (Amino Acid), Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate (Amino Acid), Calendula Extract, Retinyl Palmitate & Ergocalciferol (Vitamin A & D), Potassium Ascorbyl Tocopherol Phosphate (Vitamin C & E), Citrus Grandis Peel Oil, Xanthan Gum.

I actually recently posted close-ups of my fine lines before and after applying this cream--it is amazing (on the recent post regarding allergic reaction to skincare routine)! It really does what it says it does, imo.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
ayapp
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
snowie_bunny wrote:
I agree La Mer is way over priced. I tried it once, I didn't feel anything amazing.

Agree....
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare, I've never tried La Mer before, but now I no longer have any interest in doing so -- thank you!! Very Happy
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, but I wonder if something like Rosebud Salve can do the same job as La Mer?
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
...I used creme de la mer for a year - I used it as my day/night/eye and throat cream....I nearly hate to say that my skin just loved it - my skin looked fantastic very nearly most of the time - even through the brutal winter months..This cream inspires a response similar to Strivectin...you're either in or your out - no one is on the fence on this one!
Puds
Genie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
I have to agree with Pudoodles. I tried everything to help my adult onset acne and nothing worked. I was seeing my dermatologist every two weeks until I tried the Creme de la Mer lotion (not the cream which is too rich for me). My skin immediately improved and the acne slowly went away. Haven't been to my dermatologist in five years!

Recently, I haven't noticed any additional improvements in my skin so I've slowly been trying other skincare items with my La Mer lotion as back-up. So it isn't all hype for some of us.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
Genie wrote:
I have to agree with Pudoodles. I tried everything to help my adult onset acne and nothing worked. I was seeing my dermatologist every two weeks until I tried the Creme de la Mer lotion (not the cream which is too rich for me). My skin immediately improved and the acne slowly went away. Haven't been to my dermatologist in five years!

Recently, I haven't noticed any additional improvements in my skin so I've slowly been trying other skincare items with my La Mer lotion as back-up. So it isn't all hype for some of us.

This is good to know...if I hear someone state that it is not a good product, I will share your story.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
Canadian Girl wrote:

I'm glad to know that no one has really posted it as a miracle cream. I think I might go out and buy some Nivea instead!

Why don't you try the SAS Do-It-Yourself version of CdlM? It's $30 for 4oz. For every day, CdlM is just more than I need - but when you have a skin emergency it's fantastic. I tried the sea kelp bioferment from SAS that is the active ingredient in CdlM and it is a Holy Grail product for me.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:40 pm      Reply with quote
Rjez wrote:
Canadian Girl wrote:

Why don't you try the SAS Do-It-Yourself version of CdlM? It's $30 for 4oz. For every day, CdlM is just more than I need - but when you have a skin emergency it's fantastic. I tried the sea kelp bioferment from SAS that is the active ingredient in CdlM and it is a Holy Grail product for me.

thanks Rjez, and from the pics I have seen of you your skin is gorgeous! What is SAS, and where can I buy the copycat Cdlm from?
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:10 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for your comparision, Skincare.

I normally have no interest on those over-priced products. I am currently using Nivea eye make-up remover which is great and cheap though.
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 am      Reply with quote
Pudoodles wrote:
...I used creme de la mer for a year - I used it as my day/night/eye and throat cream....I nearly hate to say that my skin just loved it - my skin looked fantastic very nearly most of the time - even through the brutal winter months..This cream inspires a response similar to Strivectin...you're either in or your out - no one is on the fence on this one!
Puds

I agree. I tried Strivectin and liked it but found other products I liked more. The price always put me off La Mer. I think I'll survive without it just fine...what I don't know won't cost me.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
Canadian Girl wrote:
Rjez wrote:
Canadian Girl wrote:

thanks Rjez, and from the pics I have seen of you your skin is gorgeous! What is SAS, and where can I buy the copycat Cdlm from?

SAS = SkinActives.

Go to Skinactives.com and click on "Kits". They also have a list of the "active" ingredients for many popular/high priced items so you can mix up your own version.

Thanks for the compliment - it's mostly genetics but I've abused my skin for 40 years so I'm getting nervous.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
I am using Creme de la Mer for a few years. My skin just loves it. I never get any irritations with it. I tried to use ReVive, Amore Pacific (got very generous samples), and other expensive skincare products. Most of the times my skin would either develop dry patches or get irritated. Creme de la Mer is the only product that helps to heal my skin. It is fantastic when I have a skin emergency situation. I always use it during the winter months. In the summer, I usually use something lighter, however, if something is wrong with my skin I would stop using everything else and only use Creme de la Mer.
I buy it at Neiman Marcus during their beauty event.
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
doba wrote:
.............if something is wrong with my skin I would stop using everything else and only use Creme de la Mer.

This is exactly what I do. I don't use Creme De La Mer on a regular basis but always go back to it if something's wrong with my skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
Wow thats interesting. And there I was thinking La Mer was a 'miracle broth'! Wink
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
sarahb wrote:
Wow thats interesting. And there I was thinking La Mer was a 'miracle broth'! Wink

The "miracle broth" that is mentioned for CdlM is really the sea kelp and fermentation process (or something like that).

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
Since when has stewed seaweed been miraculous? Wink
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
sarahb wrote:

Dunno, but sea kelp bioferment is my HG of all products. I mix in creams, cleanser, shampoo and use it every day as a leave-in conditioner. Check out the thread 'rave for sea kelp bioferment' to see more uses.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
Rjez wrote:
sarahb wrote:

Dunno, but sea kelp bioferment is my HG of all products. I mix in creams, cleanser, shampoo and use it every day as a leave-in conditioner. Check out the thread 'rave for sea kelp bioferment' to see more uses.

Ok, good...so maybe it is not crap...because I swear, when I used this - WOW - my skin really looked good..all this talk about it makes me kind of want to buy a jar Embarassed (like I need it...) Rolling Eyes
Pudoodles
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:37 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |