Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Easy everyday tip for more youthful looking hands
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
I think most of us tend to ignore our hands (at least I do). My mom showed me a neat trick to not waste precious potions when applying them and making the hands look a lot younger.

Instead of placing moisturizer or serums on my palm and then applying to my face, my mom said to place the product on the back of my palms. I tried it and noticed after a few months that the few freckles i developed from sun exposure on the back of left palm when driving in my car had disappeared! the skin on my left back hand which was in significantly worse shape than the right is now much smoother and prettier Very Happy .

In addition, i have been using the back of my palms as a surface to mix seakelp bioferment and my moisturizer.

Also, remember not to ignore the neck and chest areas.

HTH

Kristen Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the neat tip, I will certainly try this.

Ricky
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
Great tip! Heres another.

Mix a small blob of honey and about 1/2 sugar in the palm of your hand. Thoroughly "wash" your hands all over including the wrists for about 30 seconds and rinse! Instant hand smoother and exfoliator! Put your fav hand lotion on and you will have super soft hands.
autumn95
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
I also use products that are too strong for my face on the back of my hands. For example AHA are too much for my face but OK for the back of my hands.
snowie_bunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for sharing the tip. I will try that.
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
These are all EXCELLENT tips Exclamation I've often read/heard that you can tell a woman's real age by how the backs of her hands (or neck/decollete) look. Not us, though - we'll keep 'em guessing Laughing
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
Here's another super exfoliating hand treatment often sold in jars for quite a bit of money which can also be used all over the body: mix a bit of turbinado sugar or rough sea salt (avoid salt if you have any cuts or scrapes as it will sting) with some oil (olive oil or coconut oil works great) and make a paste. Put a dollop into your palms and begin to rub all over the back of your hand, wrists, arms, etc. Rinse off and pat dry. You'll see a huge improvement instantly and your hands will feel baby soft and extremely moisturized. Very Happy If you want to make it a more indulgent treatment add your favourite blend of essential oils and extracts.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
another area to watch out are the elbows - that gives your age away. So, moisturise them while you are doing the other areas.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
That's a good way of doing things, skincareaddicted, to use the back of the hand instead of the palm.Thankyou, I'd never have thought of that myself.

I'm a bit vain about my hands, so I slather them with coconut oil while I'm watching tv, and rub it into my nails. Makes nails very shiny and strong.
ayapp
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing... Very Happy
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for sharing that tip. I neglect my hands too often. Sad
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips, Kristen. Very Happy But does your mother have the problem of having one hand look way better than the other (depending on whether she's a right-handed or left-handed person). Laughing
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:23 am      Reply with quote
I always drop serums on the back of my hand and then use my fingertips to dab them all over my face - the trick is to remember to rub the backs of your hands together before the residue completely vanishes, so that both hands get some benefit.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:32 am      Reply with quote
Hi CK! I don't see you around here much anymore Sad .

Yup, my mom tries to rotate the back of her palms so that they're even. She is ambidexterous actually so it's easy for her but i don't think i would be able to do that easily. But i am definitely gonna try from now on even though i probably shouldn't with the expensive skinceuticals CE Ferulic acid serum Laughing .

fifi--good tip also, i do that too actually.

will have to remember about the oil and salt/sugar scrub for my hands too. i better stop ignoring them before they give my age away in a few years Wink .

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:59 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for your post!!!
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:22 am      Reply with quote
When I was a photojournalist in my 20s, I use to develop my own black-and-white film. I loved the artistic feel of being hands-on, and I would stick my hands right in the solution. Since I am right-handed, my right-hand got a lot more time in the chemicals. My right hand now looks at least 5 years older than my left hand! I'm going to incorporate this tip on my right hand...

CK wrote:
... But does your mother have the problem of having one hand look way better than the other (depending on whether she's a right-handed or left-handed person). Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:41 am      Reply with quote
Usually after applying my facial cream, I applied other cream onto my body and other leave in conditioner onto my hair.

So, my face lotion on face is sort of just for temporary on my hand. I must think of a good applying lotion method.
catsull
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:00 am      Reply with quote
Vidisha Lala wrote:
another area to watch out are the elbows - that gives your age away. So, moisturise them while you are doing the other areas.

Well, I'm pretty religious with hand lotion (usually anti-aging ones too) on my hands & elbows. They look pretty good, except for not being very feminine hands to start with. What I noticed last summer is that my forearms look aged!!! I've never been a sun bather, but I wear short sleeves a lot and I'm outside a fair bit - so my arms from my elbows to my wrists are covered with sun spots!!! I guess I'll have to pay more attention to that area now... Sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:16 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for reminding me to take better care of my hands. This is definitely an area I neglect. It's probably THE telltale sign of my real age. Especially with having a baby & kiddos, washing your hands incessently really makes them dry.

Another thing I do is, since I'm such a product junkie, I've got alot of unusued product. To avoid feeling guilty about wasting it I use them for the back of my hands.
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:18 am      Reply with quote
Great tip. The past few years I've been trying to do everything to my hands that I do to my face, neck , & decolette.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
catmcall wrote:
Vidisha Lala wrote:

Well, I'm pretty religious with hand lotion (usually anti-aging ones too) on my hands & elbows. They look pretty good, except for not being very feminine hands to start with. What I noticed last summer is that my forearms look aged!!! I've never been a sun bather, but I wear short sleeves a lot and I'm outside a fair bit - so my arms from my elbows to my wrists are covered with sun spots!!! I guess I'll have to pay more attention to that area now... Sad

I sympathise catmcall, the areas that require attention just seem to be growing and growing, for me, as the years go by!
Can hardly believe it used to be only my face that I thought about. How luxurious that would be, now!
catsull
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
I sympathise catmcall, the areas that require attention just seem to be growing and growing, for me, as the years go by!
Can hardly believe it used to be only my face that I thought about. How luxurious that would be, now!

Ain't that the truth!!!! Quite frightening to think about...

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
Hi CK! I don't see you around here much anymore Sad .

Yup, my mom tries to rotate the back of her palms so that they're even. She is ambidexterous actually so it's easy for her but i don't think i would be able to do that easily. But i am definitely gonna try from now on even though i probably shouldn't with the expensive skinceuticals CE Ferulic acid serum Laughing .

fifi--good tip also, i do that too actually.

will have to remember about the oil and salt/sugar scrub for my hands too. i better stop ignoring them before they give my age away in a few years Wink .

Hi skincareaddicted, I actually don't have much time to post around lately but I DO come here everyday. Very Happy There are just too many threads that I can't read them all.

Back to the topic, though I don't place the moisturizer/treatments on the back of my hands, I always apply what's left on my fingertips on the backs when using a mask. And I always place products on fingertips instead of palms to minimize wastage. Razz
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:58 am      Reply with quote
CK--i just started classes again today and can't respond as much as i want Sad . glad to hear you have been around still though Smile.

jeannine--you have to keep us updated on your hand.

catmcall--actually, i ignore my forearms A LOT. i scrub my upper arms because i get little bumps and stuff, but hardly pay attention to the other part. i will from now on though!

i tried the oil and sugar scrub on my hands yesterday after giving my hair a warm oil treatment. i just added sugar to my already oil hands and scrubbed. felt so nice! thanks everyone for tips!

Kristen Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:33 am      Reply with quote
Apres shower or facial cleansing, I blot my hands on a towel leaving them just damp. Then I spritz on NaPCA (by Twin-Lab) up to the elbows and pat it evenly over my skin. It's non-oily so it soaks in rapidly. Then I put a generous dallop of massage lotion on the back of my hands and really work it between my fingers and into my hands and cuticles for a minute or so. Since it's massage lotion, it has a decent amount of oil but what's nice is that the second you stop massaging the oil begins to sink right in. (Whether it's the warmth or the NaPCA helping or a combo, I don't know.) Within a minute or two I'm ready to handle objects again without any problems of greasy or sticky hands.

This is probably my best anti-aging "discovery". Like another poster upthread, I was not kind kind to my hands in my youth, leaving them un-sunscreened, recklessly dunking them in photo chemicals and not using gloves for housework. Now they look alright for 44 and I think it's due to being diligent about moisturizing.

Anyway, the NaPCA is very expensive and there are plenty of lotions out there that contain it. I believe you can also get it at thepersonalformulator.com. Health stores such as Whole Foods carry the Twin-Lab product for about $6. For my skin, the triple-play of NaPCA followed by oil+lotion and then sunscreen is well worth the money and effort.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:14 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |