Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Proavtiv Solutions ???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Gabriel
5% products discount

Tue May 25, 2004 1:35 am      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone!

OMG! This forum is great, everything you need to know is here. I'm so glad i found it..... makes me feel normal as I'm not the only one who's obssesed about my skin. It's my first time here hehehehe

I have lots of pimples on my cheeks but none around my cheek bones. Its weird. Anyway, I have used everything! I mean Everything.... ok maybe not everything but I' ve used:

Clinique
Jurlique
Perfect Potion
Nutrogena
ShiSeido
Origins

Right now I'm using Clarins and Dermalogica... I'm thinking of using Proactiv Solutions but not sure if I should. Anyone have any comments?

My skin gets blocked quite easily and i have lots of comodomes that are not open... whiteheads? They turn into pimples. I just want to have smooth skin for once.

Also is it true that using the same products for a while means that your skin will get used to it? and it won't work anymore?

Thanks for all your help and i think I will be a regular here hehehe Very Happy

xoxoxo Gabby
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2004 10:51 am      Reply with quote
Hi Gabriel!

I highly recommend Proactiv Solutions. I have been using the 3-step system for 7 weeks now and my skin is completely pimple-free. I used most of the products you listed with no luck. The system consists of the Renewing Cleanser (which is of lotion consistency with grains in it that exfoliates your skin while the benzoyl peroxide gets in the pores to clear up blemishes); Revitalizing Toner (which is nice because it is alcohol-free and has glycolic acid in it as well as Aloe Vera and Allantoin); and Repairing Lotion (which is the medicine part of thte system with benzoyle peroxide). In addition to these, I do use their oil-free moisturizer with SPF 15.

Hope this helps!

5% products discount

Tue May 25, 2004 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
I prefer Serious Skin Continuously Clear line to ProActiv. Works much faster plus I spot treat with either Clearz-it (5% benzoyl peroxide) or Dry-Lo (8% Sulfur) from SS.
ProActiv gave me more zits and irritated my skin and I can't figure out why since I've used products with alpha hydroxy and glycolic acids for years, and I'm not sensitive to benzoyl peroxide. I used the 3 steps twice a day for only 4 days plus their mask. Oh wait, I remember - since I didn't think it was working as fast as SSCC I used the mask three days in a row to speed things up. Big mistake as that's probably why my skin reddened. I tried ProActiv because I was out of SSCC stuff and an introductory kit was available at a decent price. I gave it away and reordered SSCC as I only need major zit products for a few days during a bad break out then I go back to my regular skin care regimen.
By all means try ProActiv but perhaps try an intro kit at first to save $. It's worth the $ if it works but a waste if it doesn't. Good luck.
Reema20

Wed May 26, 2004 12:33 am      Reply with quote
Hey Less Patchy, where can i get this new acne creme or spot treatment from and how much is it?

thanks!
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 26, 2004 9:14 am      Reply with quote
Hi LessPatchy,

Sorry to hear that Proactiv Solutions didn't work for you. I believe Proactiv states it takes 3-6 weeks to see the results. You said you were on it for only 4 days, that may have been why. Glad to hear Skin Continously Clear worked for you. I will do a search and check it out, might be worthwhile for me to try too!

5% products discount

Thu May 27, 2004 12:44 am      Reply with quote
I never use a full acne line for more than a few days because when I have a bad breakout which requires more than spot treatment, a few days of SSCC works like a charm. I buy it through the shopping channel (TSC) in Canada. You can buy it online at TSC.ca, or wait for the product to be featured on the shopping channel. Someone from Serious Skin is usually on every 3 to 4 months with different packages / promotions.
The cleanser is "Daily Ritual" with 2% salicylic acid as the active ingredient. The second step is "Clearz-it" with 5% benzoyl peroxide as the active ingredient. The moisturizer is "Moisture Replenishing Cream" with 0.5% salicylic acid as the active ingredient.
The mask is "Unmasked" with 8% sulfur as the active ingredient but I rarely use it as the three previous ingredients usually are enough. I tend to use this mask sporadically with my regular skin care products.
Clearz-it can also be used as a spot treatment, but their featured spot treatment is "Dry-Lo" which has 8% sulfur as the active ingredient.
Hard to give you a price because each product can be bought on its own, and there are various promotions with different combinations of products and sizes for very good prices. I was introduced to these products when I bought something called "Kit 'n Kaboodle" which had small sample sizes of about 5 SS lines. I've just ordered a full size Continously Clear kit at $74.99 which also has shampoo and conditioner. The website TSC.ca is down at the moment so I can't look up any details. Dry-Lo on its own I think is normally $29.99, and sometimes $24.99, but I rarely buy it by itself as it's usually featured as a bonus product in a kit.
Hope this helps.
oobebexsnooo

Sat May 29, 2004 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
I had major acne problem. I've tried a lot of products that doesn't work. Finally I tried pro active, and it works wonder. I really recommend it.
chic_chica

Sat May 29, 2004 10:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hey ppl...i'm new in here~ it's such a great forum. Well i'd like to say that i've been using proactiv for about 4 months now...and well i have no acne!! yayy.....but however i do have acne marks still...i don't know how long they will stay there...is there any product that i can use to fade them faster??

also i have a more serious problem than that. Due to the acne i got scars!!!!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I hate it. It isn't much...but its like i have holes in my face...little ones. And believe it or not when i put on make up...especially foundation it shows a lot! is there any product that i can use for this as well?? or is my only hope surgery?
Emalya

Sun May 30, 2004 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
It obviously depends on a person's skin to determine if Proactiv will work or not. Many people say it works the best for them while others say it broke them out more.

I say just try it at least and see if it's right for you.

Personally I recommend it. It never broke me out more. It cleared me up although I did get a little dry in some spots, but moisturizer fixed that. It didn't clear my skin up where I never got another zit/pimple again, but... when I ever did break out, it would only be about 2-3 pimples/zits. Nothing more and they went away very fast.

Proactiv has been the only thing that has actually worked great for me. I've tried other things and although they did clear me up at first, I broke out later and the products didn't work anymore. This is the opposite with Proactiv. It always has worked for me. I took it for at least a year then I stopped cause I thought I could try another product and keep my skin going the way Proactiv started it.

I was wrong. I've been breaking out and no other product line is helping at all. I finally re-ordered Proactiv again just the other day and can't wait to get back to using it.

So just give it a try. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
I agree that different people react to the same product differently...

I've also used Proactiv starter kit in the past, and so did my boyfriend. As the matter of fact, he was the one who spotted the commercial and went ahead to order it. I sorta used him as a guinea pig ( I know, I sound terrible, but...) because my skin does not tolerate any products that I just picked up very well. Plus, he had severe, I mean real SEVERE acne problem and had tried all range of antibiotics/pills and creams that his derm prescribed.

Anyway, it worked wander for him immediately. He didn't have to go through the 1 to 2 weeks of getting-worse period which I had, lucky him.

I had used it for 2 years in the past. Stopped because I don't think my skin needs the entire system anymore. It not only cleared up my skin but also somewhat "modified" its texture. Now I have combination type instead of the original oil-dripping one. I was quite happy with it Smile

About the acne scar... well, it'll fade gradually in months, but make sure you put at least SPF 30 to protect them... I find lightly message with warm compress also help soften it... if you're not patient enough to wait, like me Wink , you can ask your derm to prescribe the topical Hydroquinone lotion/gel. The prescribed one works so much better than the OTC products or ones that derived from plants. Believed me, I've tried them all. However, it's very pricy though... Sad

Don't pass it by, give it a try... You'll never know, it may be the "best" products you've ever used... (or the "worse"...) Laughing
VegasGirl
5% products discount

Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
I'll put in my 2 cents as well on Proactiv -- I have just recently learned not to mess with a good thing. I had been using Proactiv for over a year and its the only thing that worked for me and instead of getting 5 zits at a time, I'd only get maybe 1 per month while using Proactiv. But then I started getting curious about some of the other products out there and no joke, I just busted out with 5 new zits within 2 days. I should have known! So anyway, went right back to the Proactiv this week and my zits are almost all gone (after using the 3 step system, I dab a glob of the sulfur mask right on the big zits as a final step). I will never stray again! Shock
Gingerly
5% products discount

Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:14 am      Reply with quote
Here's some good advice on treating moderate acne from Prevention Magazine:
http://www.prevention.com/cda/feature2002/0,2479,s1-5489,00.html?
freefall2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using Proactiv since 1999 and I'm happy with the results. I didn't have acne as a teenager so I was really put out when I started having it in my late 20's. I don't use the toner very much and now you can order custom kits, I get 1 cleanser and 2 lotions until I use up my surplus toner and then I can change my order again. I also only get them to send it every 6 months right now. I don't go through it very fast and it was piling up in my cabinet. I wash with the cleanser and use the lotion once a day. The rest of the time I use Cetaphil cleanser and lotion.
Recently I bought DDF Benzoyl peroxide gel and I put a tiny bit of that on the odd zits I still get.

Liz
Caspers Mum

Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
Proactive is a fairly drying skincare line, having once tried a friend's. She loves it, but she also has more of an oily complexion. From what you've described, it simply sounds like you're needing some gentle exfoliation and deep-cleansing. Try MD Formulations Cleanser With Glycolic Acid (daily), Sothys Desquacreme (weekly), and moisturizer such as Murad's Skin Perfecting Lotion for Acne. Less fuss, no muss!
Arbonne19
5% products discount

Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
Well pro active works temporaraly. It's a lot of hype with a price tag. Pro Active ingredents are just drying agents which make it look like it's working, but don't stop using it! The oil glands in your face will rush more oil to the your surface of the skin because they have been dried out from the product, which makes you order more. Because you will break out again when you do stop. $$$$$$
Pro Active does not correct the skin condition, it masks the condition. If you would like more information on how to help an acne condition and correct it.
dianne
littlepac

Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:18 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I've been using the Proactive off and on for about a year and a half. I didn't start to get acne until my twenties by the way. It is a "bit" drying but it def. works. What "I" do is use it in cycles to keep my skin clear and then wean off of it to my Almay Kinetin Cleanser while continuing to use the toner/moisturizer without the lotion. For anyone with acne-prone skin, the Almay Kinetin is WONDERFUL, but unfortunately hard to find. Despite it's rich consistency, it does not upset the skin or cause breakouts and I really love it. Very Happy
Elll

Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
Proactive Solution does work and most likely will clear up your skin (not cure it from acne). However, if you ever try to get off the treatment your skin will breakout horribly. No I do not mean your skin will go back to its original problem state, it will be much worse, many people also get it combined with cyst based acne. After long use of Proactive, skin become dependant on the chemical/drug base in the treatment and without it your skin will explode with acne. Also due to its highly drying tendencies (it bleaches out your towels so thats proof enough) it does cause premature aging. Commonly it takes months to over a year for your skin to calm down. Talk to your doctor for before using it. Ask him about Proactive's addictive/dependant skin tendencies.
anbloom
5% products discount

Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
I currently use AcneFree, the knock off brand of ProActive and it works great for me. However, I'm starting to get a bit worried with all the talk about how your skin becomes dependent on it and that it is so harsh (which I agree with because my skin is rather dry). I was just starting to think that I wanted to ween off this a few days ago. What cleanser do any of you suggest for acne prone skin that is not too drying? Thank you for all the help!
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
Less Patchy wrote:
I prefer Serious Skin Continuously Clear line to ProActiv. Works much faster plus I spot treat with either Clearz-it (5% benzoyl peroxide) or Dry-Lo (8% Sulfur) from SS.
ProActiv gave me more zits and irritated my skin and I can't figure out why since I've used products with alpha hydroxy and glycolic acids for years, and I'm not sensitive to benzoyl peroxide. I used the 3 steps twice a day for only 4 days plus their mask. Oh wait, I remember - since I didn't think it was working as fast as SSCC I used the mask three days in a row to speed things up. Big mistake as that's probably why my skin reddened. I tried ProActiv because I was out of SSCC stuff and an introductory kit was available at a decent price. I gave it away and reordered SSCC as I only need major zit products for a few days during a bad break out then I go back to my regular skin care regimen.
By all means try ProActiv but perhaps try an intro kit at first to save $. It's worth the $ if it works but a waste if it doesn't. Good luck.

I started off with ProActiv and it didn't do anything for me (except give me super oily skin) so I ordered Serious Skin Care. I started off with their original five piece kit and then used their Continuously Clear Line. It was the only thing that kept my skin in decent shape. Then last year...it all ended. I didn't know what happened but my skin just didn't respond to those products anymore. After more than 6 years of using Serious Skin Care, I'm back on the quest to find something to control the acne. Sad
gwynethhung
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:28 am      Reply with quote
I bought a starter kit set to my husband half year ago. My hunsband kept using the cleansing foam only, but his skin condition did improve. I think if you use the products ( toner, lotion, mask) altogether, you will get a better result.
belledivine67
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:17 am      Reply with quote
I recommend that you visit acne.org. This guy has some sensible advice that seems to work. Watch his video!

If you do follow his regimine, I recommend that you order his Benzol Peroxide gel. It is awesome that sinks into your skin with no residue.
Nymue
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
I've got to agree with belledivine67 here. I've been a member on acne.org for years. I actually started using my Proactiv (which didn't really work for me) the way the regimen on the website suggests you use benzoyl peroxide, as in, a LOT. That definitely worked better than the regular 3-step Proactiv did. Even if you end up not following the regimen on the website, there is a lot of support and acne information on there. For me, after years of prescription and over the counter medications, Accutane was the one miracle (there's also an Accutane forum on acne.org!).

Best of luck to you Exclamation
Harmonster
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
anbloom wrote:
I currently use AcneFree, the knock off brand of ProActive and it works great for me. However, I'm starting to get a bit worried with all the talk about how your skin becomes dependent on it and that it is so harsh (which I agree with because my skin is rather dry). I was just starting to think that I wanted to ween off this a few days ago. What cleanser do any of you suggest for acne prone skin that is not too drying? Thank you for all the help!

I like Cetaphil gentle cleanser in the all-blue bottle. Avoid the blue and green "facial" variety. It's non-alkaline too, which is probably better for you if you've got acne prone skin. The Walmart knockoff for $3 works great.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Gabriel,

I have much empathy for you. I have struggled with chronic acne for YEARS, despite trying everything short of pharmaceuticals. I tried the majority of what you have as well as a ton of others. I have to say for the first time in 7 years (since this all started) I have 100% acne free skin. It has been 100% acne free for months, and I am telling you 100%. I dont even get little pimples!!!! Now I am working on decreasing my pores and past acne scarring!!! As the longer you have acne the more it damages your skin!

What do I use? I read so many reviews on the ISClinical products and really felt I needed to try them despite the crazy price. I started with the Proheal serum and in one month my skin was significantly improved. I have used god knows how many acne lines, every holistic cleanse and internal product!!!

I have tried a ton of IS CLinical and have to say start with the Proheal serum. Try to get a sampler of Active serum to use once a week or more frequently depending on your skin. Use the proheal serum everyday morning or night. You may like the Hydracool serum over top during the day to give you more moisture.

I also love the Dr.hauschka Clarifying toner and Normalizing day oil (for day time use and have been comming back to these products for years now - 13 to be exact even when my skin was clear!!) Keep it simple. I know a lot of peple love Proactive, and I agree it can help with acne yet the flip side is that there is a ton of reasearch demonstration how damaging to the epidiermis and dermis. Benzyle peroxide is in the long run of using the product. I found such products dried my skin up and made it break out from cell phone touching it or hands or whatever due to killing all the natural organisms that live in our epidiermis.

As for internal stuff make sure and drink a ton of good qualty water and do some research on eating healthier. YOu will be able to find a lot of information that suits your lifestyle. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions about the products or internal tips, etc to have clear skin!!!!

Feliz
anbloom
5% products discount

Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:38 am      Reply with quote
Feliz-
What are you doing to help with your scarring? That's the point I am at and I need a good product for this. Thank you for the help!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:22 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |