Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

diet and supplementation
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
m
5% products discount

Wed May 26, 2004 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
hello Very Happy
i've read through most of the posts on this forum. there aren't many posts regarding diet and supplementation as they relate to skin health. while i am certainly an advocate of spf protection and moisturizing, i also believe that truely healthly skin starts from the inside out. although many skin care products have vitamins/antioxidants in them, it is my opinion that no amount of a topical cream will replace a vitamin deficient diet. do any of you regularly supplement? some things might be:
alpha-lipoic acid (r or l type)
coenzyme q10
green tea/cranberry extract/other misc polyphenols
lycopene
dimethyl amino ethanol (dmae)
astaxanthin
pantothenic acid (b5, and other b vits)
acetyl-l-carnitine (alc)
grape seed extract (opcs--this has been discussed briefly already)
vits a, c, selenium (staple antioxidants)
vit e (tocopherols and tocotrienols)
glutathione, cysteine, glutamine, glycine other amino acids/whey, soy- proteins
soy isoflavones
essential fatty acids (omega 3, and omega 6s like epa/dha from flax seed/borage/evening primrose/and/or fish body oils)
oxide dismutase (sp?)
quercitin (sp?)
collagen peptides/hyaluronic acid/chondrointin (these are supposedly hard to abosrb since they are very large molecules although there are various pills which claim to be effective supplementation delivery vehicles--brings to mind the story on the news about that japanese town in which doctors are reported to have treated patients 80 yrs + with remarkably healthy skin)
perricone diet (dark leafy greens, olive oil, salmon, blueberries, whole grains)
there seems to be a lot of foods out there that greatly enhance health/skin/quality of life. but it's so hard to know what they are especially when modern science has yet to even remotely discover how to maximize the human genome. everyday there are reports that say "eat more of this, or stop eating so much of that." it's amazing that we can go an entire lifetime being malnourished in various substances and never even know it. thanks! Very Happy
queenpedauque
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 26, 2004 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
I do think diet plays a tremendous part in beauty. I was not raised to eat healthy meals and really knew nothing about nutriton. At 38, I did a fast and it dramatically changed my way of eating. 75% raw and staying away from the known bad foods like fried foods, white sugar, white bread etc. THis made an incredible difference in my appearance. I suddenly looked very young and healthy. This was an amazing transformation for me.
Diet with a few good supplements can really make an incredible difference.
Smile
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 26, 2004 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
Totally agree. I supplement daily with B vitamins, MSM, flax seed oil, zinc, calcium, selenium, potassium, C, E and magnesium. And a baby aspirin, too. Smile I used to get cystic acne from what seemed to be hormonally related reasons, but now following this regimen (which I found on a site from the UK which now can't remember), I rarely ever get those deep lumps anymore. I find that forgetting the C seems to have the greatest effect on what my skin looks like....Drink green tea, too.
Mabsy

Thu May 27, 2004 5:10 am      Reply with quote
Agree Smile

I do use supplements on and off. I can never remember to take them regularly though Confused I have taken in the past: MSM, horsetail, vit B (all sorts), alpha lipoic acid and grape seed extract. Alpha lipoic acid and grape seed tablets gave me a huge energy boost! Used to wake up in the mornings (without alarm clock) and feel rested and ready to get up (a rare thing for me Smile). Why did I stop taking it again? hmm
m
5% products discount

Thu May 27, 2004 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for the replies. yea i definitely try to stay away from fried foods myself
m
5% products discount

Thu May 27, 2004 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
has anyone noticed a worthwhile difference while using MSM?
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 27, 2004 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
Yes. I take it along with other supplements every day and feel that it has helped with preventing cystic acne.
m
5% products discount

Fri May 28, 2004 11:59 am      Reply with quote
here's an interesting article on MSM.
http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/msm.html

interstingly, it indicates, besides sulfer-containing amino acids, that pantothenic acid (B5) is a dietary source of sulfer. many believe that b5, in higher doses, combats acne
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:35 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |