Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
REVIEW: John Masters Organics
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
Argh just got an email from EDS - they are only getting the JM products in a few days at their warehouse and will only ship then. I was so looking forward to receiving these this week! Smile
shenpei
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:41 am      Reply with quote
HI,FaithTruth !We meet here again.I'm also interest in JM products ,I'm looking forward to receiving the review about JM from u Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:15 am      Reply with quote
Hi

I got an email from EDS saying the John Masters items are now in stock and my items are being shipped. Smile

Looking forward to trying those, I've ordered 8 different things.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:19 am      Reply with quote
I'm so thrilled you're all giving this line a try - am looking forward to all of your feedback. I actually have shampoo and conditioner samples from BBS and Dr.H but have yet to try as I can't seem to stray from my JMO. I even tried to use the Pomade as lip balm (from the ingredients I didn't think it would hurt) and I loved the smell but it tastes sorta bitter although it did do a nice job... Laughing I guess I'll just stick to my CK Lush Lips!
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
sormuimui I bought those 8 items after reading your recommendation so if I don't like them, I'm personally blaming you! Wink Only kidding.
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
Argh how come I haven't got any ship notification? No fair sarah Smile
lifeisbeautiful
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:34 am      Reply with quote
Just want to add - to push some of you over the cliff Laughing - I have decided to use nothing other than the honey & hibiscus shampoo+Neroli Detangler (as a leave-in conditioner) combo for my coarse hair from now on !! Even my little daughter commented on how smooth my hair has become !! Also the lip treatment tube is the only thing that works for my little one's dry lips.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
wow!! I always look for a good shampoo, you just tempted me to buy those JM products.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:18 pm      Reply with quote
I went to check out the Vanilla and Orange products yesterday and the smell is too sweet for my liking - chocolate oranges is quite an accurate description. I tried the body milk on my hands from the tester and it's nice but I still prefer Jurlique's Hand and Body Lotion better as it feels SMOOTHER spreading and absorbing. So I guess I'm gonna stick to their hair care!
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review, Sormuimui! Smile

I wonder why the Citrus & Neroli detangler would contain sulfur? Confused (See list of ingredients below)

Ingredients
Purified deionized water, ricinus communis (castor oil), hydrolyzed wheat protein, wheat oligosaccharides, colza oil, cetearyl alcohol (vegetable-based emulsifier), acetamide mea, panthenol, hair keratin protein, hyaluronic, linolenic & linoleic acid (essential fatty acids), triticum vulgare (wheat germ oil),* simmondsia chinensis (jojoba oil),* sorbitol (organic humectant), tocopherol, sulfur, extracts of foeniculumvulgare (sweet fennel)* & equisetum arvense (horsetail),* essential oils of citrus limon (lemon),* lemon cubeba, citrus aurantium (neroli),* canarium luzonicum (elemi)* & citrus paradisi (pink grapefruit),* sodium hydroxymethylglycinate (natural enyzme preservative), potassium sorbate *certified organic

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:12 am      Reply with quote
Well I just received my EDS package today and was so excited to try the JM products. My hair is extremely thick and coarse. Recently, I've been noticing a buildup of some sort on my scalp - increasingly greasy scalp, flakes, even bumps/pimples on my scalp. I think this is because of accumulated use of shampoos/conditioners/hair masks with cones and SLS. This is the reason why I decided to splurge on John Masters, and this is my first time using products without SLS and cones.

Evening Primrose Shampoo

This has a very strong herbal smell/fragrance which like a previous reviewer mentioned, is extremely overpowering in the shower but disappears after washing so I don't mind it. Wasn't used to the no-lather thing initially -it was quite hard to massage into the roots especially at the back of my head, and it made my roots feel kinda tangly , but it just takes a little more time.

Citrus and Neroli Detangler

Another very herbal but less offensive fragrance - also disappears after rinsing. Because the shampoo made my roots feel a little tangled and dry, I decided to use this all over - not only just the ends which you have to do when using conditoners with cones. I left it in for about a minute and when I rinsed it out - super soft, silky hair! My hair is not completely dry as I type this but my scalp doesn't feel greasy or heavy.

Overall

For the first time, my very thick and heavy hair actually feels light and swingy! It doesn't feel coated the way normal haircare makes it feel. There is no lingering fragrance. I'm pretty much addicted and probably am gonna order alot more of the JM products.
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:44 am      Reply with quote
Great review, FaithTruth! Smile

I had the Evening Primrose Shampoo in my cart, but I've just added the Citrus and Neroli Detangler -- it sounds perfect for me! Very Happy
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:25 am      Reply with quote
Thanks! I can't believe how different my hair feels by just eliminating certain ingredients from my haircare.
jumpingball
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:53 am      Reply with quote
Any opinions about John Masters Organics Sweet Orange & Silk Protein Styling Gel? Smile
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:17 am      Reply with quote
Faith you beat me to it! I got the same with the shampoo, I bought the Sage and Zinc one which has an overpowering smell of just coconut, which I love so that's OK with me, but if you don't like coconut don't get it! I also found it quite difficult to move around my hair and there was very little lather which is to be expected as it's SLS free, BUT I shampooed twice, which I never do and I couldn't believe the lather I got the second time, although it doesn't slip on the hair very easily. It did leave my hair feeling like straw though, you definately need a conditioner afterwards.

I also bought the Citrus detangler and it has a lovely zesty smell, IMO and it left my hair nice and silky and like Faith I applied it all over including my roots which I don't do usually, but because the shampoo made my hair like straw I felt I had to.

It's now the end of the day and my roots feel a bit lank and greasy, but that could be because I put the conditioner on them.

So far, not impressed with the Orange/Vanilla body milk, (smells like a Terrys chocolate orange), the rose and apricot day creme doesn't smell like rose or apricot and has a bit of a pong on the face and the zinc shampoo was nasty without the conditioner. Just my opinion, others might love these.

Maybe I need to stick to the chemicals! Wink
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:44 am      Reply with quote
Smile Sorry to hear you weren't happy with some of the products Sarah.
Do let me know if the Zinc shampoo is alot more drying than the Evening Primrose one after you try it, cos I'm interested in the Zinc - I sometimes get flakes.
I'm wondering whether it's wise or OK long term to use the detangler on the roots? Perhaps tomorrow I will try not applying on the roots to see how tangled/dry the shampoo will leave my hair.
I suppose it'll take awhile for us newbies to get used to the new textures and such.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
Faith my hair felt awful after just using the shampoo, it's never been like that before, it was so knotty and like straw. I definitely needed the detangler. I'm not going to use the conditioner on my roots tomorrow and see what it's like after that.

I bought 5 other items which I've also reviewed, most of which I didn't like because of the smell. Sad
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:31 pm      Reply with quote
I ordered the primrose shampoo with my last EDS order - I'm looking forward to trying it.
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:02 am      Reply with quote
Hey Sarah, I also realised that after awhile my roots became a tad bit greasy because I put the detangler on the roots. So I just washed with the Evening Primrose and pur the detangler on the mid length and ends. Surprisingly, my roots don't feel that dry and tangly after rinsing - I think we have to get used to that feeling.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:32 am      Reply with quote
Faith I think there's a knack to using the shampoo and conditioner, when you apply the shampoo try not to agitate it into your hair too much, just smooth it down your hair then your hair doesn't seem to get that knotty afterwards. I just applied the conditioner to the length of my hair today, so hopefully won't get lank roots later on tonight. Maybe it's just a case of getting use to it.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
I have used many non SLS shampoos and I don't know of one that doesn't make your hair feel a bit like straw or a wiry tangle. Unless someone has found a non SLS shampoo that is different then you have to live with it. Personally I don't like the straw feeling but I put up with it so long as the conditioner that follows smooths my hair out. I would love to know why the omission of SLS has this effect on the shampoo. It doesn't make sense to me as I always thought SLS was just a latherer but there must be something else to it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
The honey & hibiscous shampoo definitely dosen't make my hair feel like straw..it feels supple while you're shampooing. Although, it does take getting used to the low lather. The primrose feels different;hair feels strawlike while you're shampooing although it's gone once conditionner is applied.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
The honey & hibiscous shampoo definitely dosen't make my hair feel like straw..it feels supple while you're shampooing. Although, it does take getting used to the low lather. The primrose feels different;hair feels strawlike while you're shampooing although it's gone once conditionner is applied.

Thanks for that Marina. I might try this one but I did notice in the ingredients that there are a few sodium laur.... ingredients that are coconut derived. Are any of these in the SLS family because I read elsewhere on the forum that SLS can also be coconut derived.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
I know, I don't quite know what to make of the quasi-laurs..This my fist brand of SLS free shampoo. I kept hearing about how they didn't clean well etc. I bought the primrose a while ago based on reviews here. I just find a difference in how my scalp feels..really much healthier and no itch (I swear there were times I thought I had lice Embarassed ) I can't go back to reg. shampoos now.

The hibiscous one is best suited to dry, thick hair. I've got the dry (no longer the thick) but I find it rinses easily & along with the citrus & neroli cond. I really like the suppleness..your hair dosen't feel sqeaky clean but it's clean.

One way (my own weird way) that I can tell my hair is well moisturized is that it stays wet longer. Sounds strange..I know. I usually remove my towel & my hair is half dry already. When I use this , my hair is still wet & supple. I didn't get this with the primrose one, but I still like it a lot and will alternate between the 2.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
My hair never feels like straw with the Evening Primrose, it's the only shampoo (chemical OR organic) that I've used that actually made my hair feel moisturized and detangled. I also use the Citrus and Neroli Detangler, it's light and yet it's really strong stuff.

However I have used this for more than half a year, and nothing gives overnight miracles, if you've been using cones before it's natural for your hair to feel a bit dry upon the first use. My hair was extremely dry, fried and frizzed up when I started but I stuck with it and after a while I noticed my hair was gradually getting better, healthier and now my hair is soft and shiny. With regards to extra greasiness I have not noticed any more greasiness using JM than other brands. I always use the Detangler as a leave-in so if it was greasy it should be more so with me because I tend to have an oily scalp. When I was in HK for 2 weeks and used regular drugstore SLS shampoo I noticed the straw feeling from the shampoo moreso than before JM because I'm so used to the moisturizing effects of the Evening Primrose. The same goes for the ALBA shampoo I'm currently using. Also I started getting split ends using the chemical shampoos and conditioners in HK which I have stopped getting when I was using JM so my conclusion was that the chemical stuff was actually drying my hair out even when my hair felt very soft and manageable AFTER I conditioned.
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:01 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |