Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
My Search for HG Mascara
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Ladies! Recently I've been conducting an extensive search for good mascaras, so I thought that others might be interested in hearing my results.

What prompted my search was that I was using 3 mascaras: Dior's Diorshow, Tarte's Lights Camera Lashes, and Lancome's Fatale. I was pleased with all three of them--- Fatale gave by far the most body, but it's time-consuming to apply so when I didn't have time I'd brush on one of the other two and go. However, I quickly figured out that both Diorshow And Tarte's mascara were flaking a lot on me and irritating my eyes too much, so I had to get rid of them and start over trying to find an mascara I could just brush on when I dind't have time for Fatale. I'd also like to mention that I used to wear Lancome's Definicils and I liked it a lot, but it hasn't been convenient for me to get to a mall recently and that darn mascara is expensive enough without a shipping fee tacked on, so I'll probably get it again when I go to a mall, but in the meantime I needed something to tide me over. First I tried Paula Dorf's mascara. It was on clearance at dermstore.com and was supposed to be great for sensitive eyes. Unfortunately, it was really lousy--- really wet and it didn't build ANY length or body, so I'm sending it back. Next I tried Maybelline's Lash Discovery. TOTAL waste of money--- it was even worse than the PD mascara! Seriously, it was worse than not wearing mascara at all. I couldn't return it, so I just threw that one away. Next, I tried Sephora's Triple Action Mascara. Again, it was a total disaster--- I must have brushed that stuff on for 5 minutes straight and I got nowhere. When I returned it I complained about it to the salesgirl, and she said "Yeh, we get that a lot about that mascara." Hmph, if that's the case, you'd think Sephora could reformulate it! When I returned it, I picked up Benfit's Bad Gal. This stuff is supposed to be like Diorshow but less flaky, so I thought, rock and roll! Unfortunately, it was another let down--- it didn't build NEAR the body that Diroshow did, and it was pretty wet so my lashes all stuck together. Again, I returned it to Sephora. At that point I got sick of going back and forth to Sephora, so I hit the drugstore again, this time getting Maybelline's Volum' Express Turbo Boost and Physician's Formula Mineral Wear Mascara. Finally, my hard wokr paid off--- both of these mascaras are awesome!!! The Volum' Express builds a lot of volume in a hurry. It's just the slightest bit clumpy, but let's face it, you can't get a ton of volume WIHOUT clumps, and that's why lash combs were invented anyway. And the Mineral Wear mascara, wow, this one was a big surprise! It has a really strange two-sided brush--- one side is like those new high-tech plastic bristle brushes from Cover Girl and Max Factor, and then the other side is just one row of bristles, kind of like a comb. To tell you the truth I'm still not exactly sure how to use it, so I just stick to the brush side. It takes a couple of uses to get the hang of it, but once you do it's really great. It's a really glamorous, glossy black, and it thickens and lengthens but doesn't flake off or irritate my eyes. And the best part? It's free until January 31st! Just look for a package that has the pink rebate sticker on it, and you can get a rebate for the entire purchase price.

So, to sum everything up: Lancome's Fatale is still my special occasion, false eyelashes mascara, and Maybelline's Volum' Express Turbo Boost and Physician's Formula Mineral Wear are now my everyday mascaras. Also, the next time I go to the mall I'll probably pick up Lancome's Definicils again to see how it compares to the others that I'm using. But frankly, I'm glad that my mascara search has ended and now I can focus my energies elsewhere!^-^

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks! Your review came just in time! I have been thinking about replacing my long time mascara (Maybelline Full & Soft). All of those sound great Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
Liz, how long are your natural lashes again?
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
Wow!
Great Review liz! Next time my covergirl lash exact runs out I am going to try physicians formula mascara.

How much did it cost you? I don't think that we have the rebate coupon in canada.

Thanks
CG
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
Cherisse--- to tell you the truth, I'm not exactly sure how long they are--- about average length, I guess. However, they really lack fullness, so I prefer mascaras that lengthen somewhat but seriously build body.

CG- the PF mascara was maybe $6.50--- very affordable, IMO. HTH!

Just for fun, here are some pictures of my lashes when I'm wearing Fatale. Fatale gives me more volume than any other mascara, and as you can see I still don't have a TON of volume, so obviously I need all the help I can get! Laughing

I would like to add, though, that Fatale looks much better in real life--- when I wear it DH and DS always ask if I'm wearing false eyelashes. I swear, the camera may PUT ON 10 pounds of weight, but it TAKES OFF 10 pounds of make up, LOL.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
I would like to add, though, that Fatale looks much better in real life--- when I wear it DH and DS always ask if I'm wearing false eyelashes. I swear, the camera may PUT ON 10 pounds of weight, but it TAKES OFF 10 pounds of make up, LOL.

No way! Your lashes look great! Is that your real eye color??...SO pretty Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:35 pm      Reply with quote
hey cool ... I've got to post my review. I just got the Longcils Boncza cake mascara and am in love.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:53 pm      Reply with quote
Liz - who are DH and DS? I am so behind in my review of abbreviations. LOL

I think your lashes look great. Do you use JM or Revitalash or Ardell?

I saw the PF brand at all drugstores I visited on my quest to find Ardell. I just tried Max Factor's mascara, and I think it's pretty good. My camera dock broke right now, or I would take a picture and transfer it to the computer for you all to see. I really really need to buy a new dock. Gosh, those people on ebay kept outbidding me.

manslayerliz wrote:
Cherisse--- to tell you the truth, I'm not exactly sure how long they are--- about average length, I guess. However, they really lack fullness, so I prefer mascaras that lengthen somewhat but seriously build body.

CG- the PF mascara was maybe $6.50--- very affordable, IMO. HTH!

Just for fun, here are some pictures of my lashes when I'm wearing Fatale. Fatale gives me more volume than any other mascara, and as you can see I still don't have a TON of volume, so obviously I need all the help I can get! Laughing

manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:56 pm      Reply with quote
Sundew wrote:
Is that your real eye color??...SO pretty Smile

Awwwwww, thank you Sundew, I'm blushing!! Embarassed

And Cherisse, to answer your question, DH is darling husband, and DS is darling sister.^-^ (Some people say "dear,"--- whichever you prefer.) Also, I've never tried any of the lash boosters like JM et al, but I've been mighty unsatisfied with my lashes as of late, so I may just have to take the plunge, LOL!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
Rjez wrote:
hey cool ... I've got to post my review. I just got the Longcils Boncza cake mascara and am in love.

I ran over to MUA after reading this and there you were lol! Do you think it will last you a long time? Now I'm really confused. However, cake mascara sounds too interesting not to try.

5% products discount

Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:24 pm      Reply with quote
You have fabulous eyes and those eyelashes are beautiful!

So far my HG mascara is MAC Pro Longlash.

I've tried many of the brands you have and find the same problem with flaking and red eyes. Too boot they are difficult to put on blond eyelashes. I also tried the Longcils but the longcilextender. It made my lashes look a mile longer but the illusion lasted about an hour and then they flaked off Sad

hth . .

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:40 am      Reply with quote
I read about Fatale in Liz's other posts and finally got hold of one. It does take a bit of time to apply but takes me forever to apply any type of mascara anyway.

I always get panda/racoon eyes with mascaras and only one that I have been able to use is Blinc and Dejavu Fiberwig (but Fiberwig flakes more than Blinc but is way cheaper). I applied Fatale this morning at about 8 pm and removed it about 7pm/8pm (nearly 11-12 hours) and there was only a very slight smudge under my left eye. It also does not irritate my eyes. Is Fatale waterproof?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:39 am      Reply with quote
ninetynine, I don't believe Fatale is waterproof, but it's certainly very tenacious! Because it deposits SO much product with SO much pigment I've noticed it can take some time to get it all off, but like I said, I don't think it's waterproof, per se. HTH!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:44 am      Reply with quote
Woah, Liz, your eyelashes look fabulous!

I think I might try and pick up the fatale instead!

CG
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
I'm wearing Physician's Formula Mineral Wear again today, and wow, I have to say that I really love it! It blows Benefit et al out of the water! Here's a pic I snapped:

I especially like the fact that it's not clumpy and it has such a nice glossy black color.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz,

wow your eyes are mesmerizing!

I actually really love the way that the PF looks on you--natural but yet dramatic at the same time! I notice that you comb your lashes to the side like I do Smile

I wanted to say that I think Diorshow does a fabulous job, but I did notice that it was not good for my lashes--they definitely became punier and less full with repeated and might I add gentle use. I also really like Almay mascara--the one in the silver tube--it is also glossy and does not clump or flake.

But Talika has changed the color of my lashes, so I have not been wearing any mascara lately--it is amazing!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
Liz, your lashes are va va voom! You definitely sold me on the PF mascara. Mind me asking what eyeshadows you're wearing in all pics?
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hi dollbird! Actually the Fatale pictures were taken several weeks back so I can't remember what eye makeup I was wearing. However, I took the PF picture today, so I'll be happy to tell you everything I was wearing:

First, I applied Alima's Pearluster eyeshadow in Angel (a shimmery white-pink) all over my lids and a little into my crease. Then, I lined my eyes with Sue Devitt's Eye Intensifier Pencil in Gold Reef (shimmery dark brown), and then I smudged back over the pencil with Alima's Luminous Shimmer Eyeshadow in Sphinx (a gold-brown), and then I applied Sphinx to my creases too. Lastly I topped off my browbone with Victoria's Secret Beauty Rush eyeshadow in Glow Nude (a shimmery champagne), applied my mascara, and voila! Of course, let me know if you have any more questions or need more details.^-^

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
Update! Today I snapped a picture of my lashes with Maybelline Volum' Express Turbo Boost:

Actually when I look at the picture, it seems almost indentical to the PF mascara. However, IRL the PF mascara is much glossier. I'm still trying to figure out which I like best--- I love them both. I so wish I had taken a picture of my lashes with the more expensive Sephora mascaras so you guys could see how much better these are.

Oh, BTW, the other eye makeup in this picture is the exact same as yesterday, except instead of smudging Alima's Sphinx eyeshadow over my eyeliner pencil, I smudged Alina's eyeliner powder in "Illusion," a dark bronze, over it. I think using "Illusion" at the lash line seems to make my lashes look slightly more full.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Liz!! I'm ordering Alima eyeshadows as I type this! You're confusing me! Confused Your eyelashes look so soft and full with the Maybelline, but they look equally as good with PF. I'm starting to think it's not the mascara but you having lush lashes to start with. So NOT fair!!
shenpei
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
I like lancome's mascara too.I used every kind of lancome and i prefer Lancome's Definicils Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
Awww dollbird, you're making me blush! Looks like I'm going to have to swallow my pride and take a picture of my lashes "naked" so you can see how pitiful they are without mascara, LOL!!

As for the Alima eyeshadows, which ones are you ordering? Right now I've just been playing around with a ton of trial sizes. Once I figure out my favorite day and evening looks, I'm going to order some full sizes. (Too bad I can't just get one of every color, huh?) I was definitely pleased with today's look with Illusion along my lashes and Sphinx in my crease, so I'll DEFINITELY be including those with my next order.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
Sheesh Liz, your eyes look fab in all of your pix - but I gotta agree, they look very glossy in the PF mascara - but I also love how they look in the Maybelline, so now I'm feeling the need for a purchase of either or both of them, damn you. Laughing The Fatale looks good too, but my luck with Lancome is not that great. I used Hypnose for a while and really liked it, but it dried up pretty quickly and I can't afford to spend the money on it if it's not going to last.

By the way, your eyebrows have a perfect arch to them - really highlight your gawgeous eyes.

Maria Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
Liz, your eyes, lashes and eyebrows look all fab in all of your pic. I like your eye color too. You made me re-think about my journey to mascara..

I tried many of the brands for 1996-2002 (I easily guess almost all I was able to purchase in the states and most Asia) only to fail..every single one was making me racoon including a water proof type. Not too sure but reasons might be the shape and/or skin type, sensitivity of my eye area.

So I gave up on this years ago and have not used mascara at all. My life gets easier but always feel something missing on doing my make-up.

Re: your review, also heard a lot of good things about Dior mascara too. If I try again, definitely it is one of the items, and one of Helena Rubinstein black. hew..
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
Jeannie, maybe you could try Blinc Kiss Me mascara...it's the only one i've tried that doesn't give me raccoon eyes by the end of the day.

Liz, I'm getting Illusion and Sphinx based on your pics, and also Mink (khaki), Aubergine (rich purple), and Bali (delicate sage green). I'm impressed with the wide range of colors that Alima has. Thanks again for posting pics...definitely helped me in deciding which colors (and mascara) to get. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:25 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |