Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
What is the best hair serum that smooths hair out?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jwils
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
MermaidGirl wrote:
Cherisse wrote:
So true! I am seeing Biosilk at Ralph's (Grocery) and Target. I should try their serum then.

Cherisse, do a forum search for Biosilk. CareKate - our resident hair serum expert, HATES Biosilk. It has tons of alcohol in it and actually over time ruins your hair. Read her review/comments on it. She recommends the Paves serum product instead. Just wanted you to know!

Just as I was starting to get extremely alarmed by what I was reading, I get to the end and find that MermaidGirl's helping to spread my gospel! Very Happy Thanks, K -- you took the words right out of my mouth.

carekate wrote:
Farouk BioSilk Silk Therapy is the absolute WORST thing you can use on your hair! I know, I know: it makes your hair look so shiny and gorgeous. Yeah, that’s how they sucker us in! This stuff will dry out your hair quicker than just about anything except maybe pouring straight rubbing alcohol on it. I was suckered in by Silk Therapy for months until I ran out one day and this forced me to reevaluate the health of my hair and discovered – to my everlasting horror – that my hair was so frizzy and fried looking that I actually had to get it trimmed down to a super-short crop (think Halle Berry) in order to get it healthy again! Therefore, I beseech everyone to toss their bottle of overpriced Silk Therapy in the trash before you wreck your hair beyond redemption! IMHO, that stuff is as damaging to one’s hair as St. Ives Apricot Scrub is to one’s face!!! Being a litigious American, I wish I could file a class-action lawsuit against the makers of both products to sue for the near-permanent damages they caused to my hair and skin.... Wink

If you don't believe that it dries your hair out after long-term use, think about how your hair looks/feels if you DON'T apply the BioSilk. It's all frizzy and frazzled looking unless you apply it, right? That's cuz your hair is dehydrated and fried from the alcohol. It's like a dependency where you use it cuz you think it works great, then you HAVE to use it cuz your hair looks like crap without it and the more you use it, the more you're damaging your hair and so the cycle continues....

Does this apply to Biosilk Thickening Cream as well?
lulumylovely
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
I have been usin Japanese Camilla oil and I love it, I have pretty dry hair.
blaziamm
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
My hair gets much better just after I use Kiehl's amino acid shampoo. It is not a serum, but it is great!

Cherisse wrote:
I used to think Pantene Pro V was the best one until I came to EDS, and now learned that I should say no to Pantene. Now I need to find a replacement for that serum (which is the clear oil looking one). Please help.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:17 pm      Reply with quote
lulumylovely wrote:
I have been usin Japanese Camilla oil and I love it, I have pretty dry hair.

Hello, where did you buy this oil? I tried to search and couldn't find it.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
blaziamm wrote:
My hair gets much better just after I use Kiehl's amino acid shampoo. It is not a serum, but it is great!

Cherisse wrote:
I used to think Pantene Pro V was the best one until I came to EDS, and now learned that I should say no to Pantene. Now I need to find a replacement for that serum (which is the clear oil looking one). Please help.

Do you have the ingredients for this shampoo on the label? I checked their web site, but they only listed 3 ingredients, so it's not too helpful. Thank you.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
What does anyone think of this hair serum:

http://www.vitacost.com/Giovanni-Straight-Fast

Ingredients: Aqua (purified water) with organic soybean protein, organic rosemary (rosmarinus officinalis), organic nettle (urtica dioica), organic wild bergamot (citrus aurantium bergamia fruit), organic California poppy (papaver orientale seed), organic rose hips (rosa canina fruit), glycerin (coconut/palm oil), cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, phenytrimethicoane, tocopherol (vitamin E), panthenol (pro-vitamin B5), sodium hydroxy methyglycinate, octyl methoxycinnamate (sunscreen).
shenpei
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:19 am      Reply with quote
I only use hair -condition and hair mask,now i learn more:)thank you all Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:12 am      Reply with quote
Cherisse wrote:
What does anyone think of this hair serum:

http://www.vitacost.com/Giovanni-Straight-Fast

Cherisse, it sounds lovely, up until I got to these ingredients: cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, phenytrimethicoane, ... sodium hydroxy methyglycinate, octyl methoxycinnamate (sunscreen). I haven't any idea if they are bad for the hair or not. Someone with more experience/knowledge about product ingredients (CareKate, Candy, Arielle, Wildflower?) should be able to chime in and let you know.
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:39 am      Reply with quote
jwils wrote:
... Does this apply to Biosilk Thickening Cream as well?

Probably, but you will have to check the ingredients list and see. Watch for alcohol and bad silicones.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:59 am      Reply with quote
Hairfix silicone free shine serum. This is really nice and i love the smell. I got it as part of the Detox set but think the $60 price tag is a bit of a rip off just for a serum so dont know if id repurchase when it runs out.

I usually put a bit of styling product on first as the serum itself isnt enough to tame my wavy hair.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:20 am      Reply with quote
Well...maybe I’ll have an affordable solution for everyone pretty soon because ’ve got three new recipes/formulas that I’m currently developing and one of them is for a hair styling product to eliminate frizzies and give shine (similar to John Master’s pomade, which gets great reviews on MUA) .God, I’m so excited about getting started that I’m tempted to tell my boss I’m sick so I can go home for the rest of the day to get started! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Why oh why can’t I win the lottery or find myself a “sugar daddy” to pay my bills so I can quit my day-job in work in my “lab” full-time?! *le sigh* Neutral

MermaidGirl wrote:
carekate wrote:
... but I'm just anti-silicones (unless they're water-soluble)....

CareKate, how do you tell if a silicone is water-soluble? Is there a list out there somewhere that tells the difference between water-soluble and non? I know zip about 'cones, just to try to avoid them. TIA! Very Happy

I saw the list of water soluble silicones the other day, too....

Found it!
carekate wrote:
"Silicones are viscous oily liquids that coat the hair shaft in gloss, giving the illusion of healthy sheen. As most curly hair tends to be sdry and often frizzy, silicones seem like the miracle ingredient to combat these complaints. The downside is that MOST silicones are not water soluble, and can only be removed with harsh detergents. The very detergents needed to remove the silicones strip the hair of all its natural oils, leaving it stripped and straw-like. This causes the user to think she needs more silicones to combat the dryness. Thus, the cycle begins again. If the user is not using these harsh detergents to remove the silicones, they can build up, creating a barrier on the hair shaft. This barrier prevents moisturizing conditioners from penetrating the hair, further drying it out."

How do you know whether it's water soluble or not? Here's a cheat sheet:

• Amodimethicone - not soluble in water by itself;
• Amodimethicone (and) Trideceth-12 (and) Cetrimonium Chloride - mixture that is soluble in water in the bottle;
• Behenoxy Dimethicone - sparingly soluble in water
• Cetearyl methicone - not soluble in water
• Cetyl Dimethicone - not soluble in water
• Cyclomethicone - not soluble in water
• Cyclopentasiloxane - not soluble in water
• Dimethicone - not soluble in water
• Dimethicone Copolyol - water soluble
• Dimethiconol - not soluble in water
• Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Hydroxypropyl Polysiloxane - water soluble
• Stearoxy Dimethicone - sparingly soluble in water
• Stearyl Dimethicone - not soluble in water
• Trimethylsilylamodimethicone - not soluble in water
• Lauryl methicone copolyol - water soluble

My personal feeling is that using a shampoo or conditioner containing water-soluable silicones is not harmful to my hair so I don't worry too much about it. I *do* try to avoid products containing copius amounts of the other silicones, but so long is it isn't listed in the first 3-5 ingredients on the list, then I believe it's safe to use.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Well...maybe I’ll have an affordable solution for everyone pretty soon because ’ve got three new recipes/formulas that I’m currently developing and one of them is for a hair styling product to eliminate frizzies and give shine (similar to John Master’s pomade, which gets great reviews on MUA) .God, I’m so excited about getting started that I’m tempted to tell my boss I’m sick so I can go home for the rest of the day to get started! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Why oh why can’t I win the lottery or find myself a “sugar daddy” to pay my bills so I can quit my day-job in work in my “lab” full-time?! *le sigh* Neutral

MermaidGirl wrote:
carekate wrote:
... but I'm just anti-silicones (unless they're water-soluble)....

CareKate, how do you tell if a silicone is water-soluble? Is there a list out there somewhere that tells the difference between water-soluble and non? I know zip about 'cones, just to try to avoid them. TIA! Very Happy

I saw the list of water soluble silicones the other day, too....

Found it!
carekate wrote:
"Silicones are viscous oily liquids that coat the hair shaft in gloss, giving the illusion of healthy sheen. As most curly hair tends to be sdry and often frizzy, silicones seem like the miracle ingredient to combat these complaints. The downside is that MOST silicones are not water soluble, and can only be removed with harsh detergents. The very detergents needed to remove the silicones strip the hair of all its natural oils, leaving it stripped and straw-like. This causes the user to think she needs more silicones to combat the dryness. Thus, the cycle begins again. If the user is not using these harsh detergents to remove the silicones, they can build up, creating a barrier on the hair shaft. This barrier prevents moisturizing conditioners from penetrating the hair, further drying it out."

How do you know whether it's water soluble or not? Here's a cheat sheet:

• Amodimethicone - not soluble in water by itself;
• Amodimethicone (and) Trideceth-12 (and) Cetrimonium Chloride - mixture that is soluble in water in the bottle;
• Behenoxy Dimethicone - sparingly soluble in water
• Cetearyl methicone - not soluble in water
• Cetyl Dimethicone - not soluble in water
• Cyclomethicone - not soluble in water
• Cyclopentasiloxane - not soluble in water
• Dimethicone - not soluble in water
• Dimethicone Copolyol - water soluble
• Dimethiconol - not soluble in water
• Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Hydroxypropyl Polysiloxane - water soluble
• Stearoxy Dimethicone - sparingly soluble in water
• Stearyl Dimethicone - not soluble in water
• Trimethylsilylamodimethicone - not soluble in water
• Lauryl methicone copolyol - water soluble

My personal feeling is that using a shampoo or conditioner containing water-soluable silicones is not harmful to my hair so I don't worry too much about it. I *do* try to avoid products containing copius amounts of the other silicones, but so long is it isn't listed in the first 3-5 ingredients on the list, then I believe it's safe to use.

What work do you do, Carrie? I think you're looking a bit under the weather right now. You should go home.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:48 am      Reply with quote
I just started using a John Freida product called Down Play volume reducer. I've never used serums, and I suppose this is what you'd call a serum . I think it works well. It goes on light and leaves my hair feeling smooth, and not weighed down. I started using it in conjunction with Biolage Hydrating leave-in creme, which I LOVE. These two products keep my hair smooth and soft.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:21 am      Reply with quote
poohlisey wrote:
Mucota Oil! (Pure Essensce Oil) http://www.ibsbeauty.com/iStraight/index.html
or Jasmin Oil Serum
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P57300&categoryId=B70
HTH

By the name the second one looked good until I got to the ingredients:
Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol, Cyclomethicone, Phenyltrimethicone, Naturally Derived Fragrance, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E).

That's silicone central and Cyclopentasiloxane being the first ingredient which is one of the hardest cones to wash out I would have to pass.

I like the affects and what hair serums do, but I can't stand putting silicones into my hair. I try to go the natural route as much as I can and actually use coconut oil and or jojoba oil and I love it.

5% products discount

Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
I'm beating my argan oil drum again but this product actually contains enough of the real thing to earn the right to its claims. Kaeline recently launched the KAE line of hair care to include shampoos and serums, designed to complement each other and formulated for the specific needs of your hair. The ingredients are of natural origin with > 50% of them derived from organic farming.

Ingredients: Isopropyl myristate, Buxus chinensis*, Argania Spinosa*, Tocopherol, Persea gratissima oil, Citrus grandis, Juniperus oxycedrus L. Main ingredients : Organic Jojoba oil*, Organic argan oil*, Avocado oil, Grapefruit essential oil, Juniper essential oil. [* ingredients from organic farming]

The first ingredient is derived from vegetable fatty acid and is used both as a thickening agent and to help enhance absorbability of the Jojoba and Argan oils.

I have been using both products and am very happy with the results. My hair and scalp feel healthy. Plus, its shiny but not weighed down or sticky. I like knowing that there are not chemical additives that will either a) penetrate my scalp or b)dry out or coat my hair artificially. It is not cheap but as with all Kaeline products, a little goes a long way.
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
Im using the new ojon hair treatment serum, can be used on damp or dry I believe. Its doing quite a good job at smoothing down frizz ect.
I cant put a liquid oil onto my hair during the day but great as a treatment.
mex0050
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
carekate....so what would you recommend now that your HG has been reformulated (WHY WHY WHY do companies always do this crap???)

I'm thinking about Moroccan Oil....I emailed the company to see if it also works as a thermal protector and they said yes. I wonder if they are spoon feeding me bs though, bc I don't see that mentioned anywhere that MO is a thermal protector. idk. I need a thermal protector but I really can't load a leave in and thermal protector and shine serum on my fine hair else it will get weighed down big time...I need something to work well at detangling/conditioning, protecting and shining/defrizzing, all while not drying or ruining my hair (and smell good of course) I think I am asking too much. Confused
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
mex0050 wrote:
carekate....so what would you recommend now that your HG has been reformulated (WHY WHY WHY do companies always do this crap???)

I'm thinking about Moroccan Oil....I emailed the company to see if it also works as a thermal protector and they said yes. I wonder if they are spoon feeding me bs though, bc I don't see that mentioned anywhere that MO is a thermal protector. idk. I need a thermal protector but I really can't load a leave in and thermal protector and shine serum on my fine hair else it will get weighed down big time...I need something to work well at detangling/conditioning, protecting and shining/defrizzing, all while not drying or ruining my hair (and smell good of course) I think I am asking too much. Confused

I can't use moroccan oil..DD loves it, but I have fine hair that's very porous. The best thermal protector I've found that won't affect fine hair is Kerastase nectar thermique. It pretty much does it all. When I'm not blow-drying, then FF glossing cream (pea size) or mist is enough to boost shine.
talyta
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
I am using Chi products and LOVE it . For me marocan oil didn't work..
http://www.sleekhair.com/2581.html
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
I find just a very small amount of Argan oil works great on my fine hair.
It gives a lot of shine plus it's nourishing for dry hair.
nutella
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
I've heard Japanese Camilla oil. I will get a bottle next time! Smile Thanks for sharing!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:06 pm      Reply with quote
brierrose wrote:
I find just a very small amount of Argan oil works great on my fine hair.
It gives a lot of shine plus it's nourishing for dry hair.

Even though I have tried oils I may give this ago and use very little as I have fine,dry hair to. Thanks for sharing Smile
janegd
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:54 am      Reply with quote
argan oil seems very nice to be used as hair serum for me.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:06 am      Reply with quote
This is an old thread from the past!
I love Sephora's Living Proof Straight Making No Frizz Styling Cream for Medium to Thick Hair, worked fabulously in Mexico on the beach to keep the frizz down.
A bit pricey for how much you get and how much you have to use, but it does work.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
Valmont Hair Serum is the best! You can do anything you want with your hair after it.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:52 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |