Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

You Thought Your Tissues Were Safe
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:54 pm      Reply with quote
I have just read several articles relating to the latest tissue to help stop colds and viruses but there is a catch.

Quote: "As Kleenex comes under siege from generic tissue and high-tech paper products, Kimberly-Clark executives are making a high-stakes bet on an answer: Kleenex laced with a mild pesticide to fight cold and flu viruses."

And again quote: "Kleenex Anti-Viral Tissue is one of several products recently introduced to an increasingly health-conscious market.

The three-ply tissue, shipped before Christmas and now in most B.C. stores, has a middle tissue layer containing citric acid and sodium lauryl sulfate. These elements are activated by moisture to neutralize viruses that cause colds and flu."

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:21 pm      Reply with quote
We've had this for quite awhile in the states. It's acutally the one I use.

-Cheri
Sidda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:31 pm      Reply with quote
So, if they cn neutralize these viruses on the tissue -- why can't they do it in our... tissue?

A cold and flu pill. I want one. I know the pharmacuetical meds that treat the symptoms are a huge business. But, just for our quality of (winter) life. Give us a pills that kills the cold virus inside our bodies, not in our hand.

Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:32 pm      Reply with quote
phredd4 wrote:

-Cheri

Does it work?
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:38 pm      Reply with quote
I've bought a packet of no name facial cotton in SaSa Cosmetic store when I was travelling in Asia. But I found it so harsh to use on face and I stopped using it immediately as it may harm my skin. I usually purchase the cotton from Shiseido in Canada and it is so soft in comparison with that.
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:20 am      Reply with quote
We have these in the supermarket here too - think I may need to get some now that the weather has taken a turn for the worse. I'm not too keen on that word "pesticide" though....
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:08 am      Reply with quote
Sidda wrote:
So, if they cn neutralize these viruses on the tissue -- why can't they do it in our... tissue?

A cold and flu pill. I want one. I know the pharmacuetical meds that treat the symptoms are a huge business. But, just for our quality of (winter) life. Give us a pills that kills the cold virus inside our bodies, not in our hand.

Rolling Eyes

Sidda, I don't know about the cold virus, but people I know swear by the homeopathic remedy Oscillococcinum for flu - I've used it too and believe that it really does work.
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:03 am      Reply with quote
dollbird wrote:
phredd4 wrote:

-Cheri

Does it work?

I haven't had a cold in a long time so maybe it does work. I always understood it this way though. It doesn't actually kill the virus in your nose. What it does is supposedly kill any virus left in moisture that is trapped between the layers of the tissue.

So when your child or whatever uses a tissue to blow their runny nose, sneeze or cough in you can pick it up without danger of contracting the virus from handling the tissue. Of course, Kleenex says the time frame is 15 minutes to kill the virus.

At work, I handle a lot of paperwork coming in from cross-country truck drivers so I buy and use everything in the world that might keep germs away! Smile

-Cheri
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:22 am      Reply with quote
Though they don’t list all ingredients involved, as noted above they say "has a middle tissue layer containing citric acid and sodium lauryl sulfate"

Neither of those are what we would normally conceder "Pesticides" or not what most people think when they hear that term.

Sodium lauryl sulfate- is a common detergent ingredient, its used in 97% of all shampoos on the market, 98% of body cleansers and shower gels, and a good 95% of all facial cleansers. It is a foaming detergent that is also a mild germ killer. It can be irritating and drying, but is not generally considered “harmful” in normal percentages used.

Citric acid - essentially lemon or grapefruit juice. Its in a number of facial and skincare products as a pH adjuster. And in high enough strengths, also is a mild germ killing agent. Also considered skin safe, at normal use levels.

Part of the marketing idea behind infused tissues; (as mentioned above also) Many people wipe their nose (especially children) then place the tissue in their pocket, purse etc.
Then may wipe their nose a few more time before throwing it away. Each time you (or someone else) again handles that tissue, your transfer living germs to your hands.

These are then transferred to surface, or other people if you shake their hand, touch their face etc.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:04 am      Reply with quote
A pesticide is technically defined as “"any substance or mixture of substances intended for preventing, destroying, repelling, or mitigating any pest". (According to the US Environmental Protection Agency”
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/about/index.htm

Pests are defined as: "…living organisms that occur where they are not wanted or that cause damage to crops or humans or other animals. These include, insects, mice and other animals, unwanted plants (weeds), fungi, microorganisms such as bacteria and viruses, and prions."

All pesticides are not necessarily poisonous to humans, though it is true that many are.

And detergents can be classified as a pesticide substance reflecting its germ killing attributes.
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:21 am      Reply with quote
I really don't know how clean a tissue is, sometimes, I have tissue box that dusted over time. I wonder if it's still clean at the point when we pulled out one going through the dirty box outside. How clean can it be even it's antiviral one?
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
I've used those and I have used the ones that have lotion on them. I like the latter because they are much more gentler on my nose.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:01 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |