Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What is the best moisturizer with SPF for acne-prone skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mper1327
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi guys!
I just wanted to get some opinions on what you think the best moisturizer that has sunscreen in it is. I have acne prone oily skin, and I can't seem to find a SPF that doesn't break me out. Right now, I'm using Purpose SPF 30 Redness Reducing sunscreen, and it hasn't made me break out that much, but it also doesn't have that much in it that is "good" for your skin. Even though I'm only 27, I have been using anti-aging product since I was 16, and I like all the goodies and nutrients in a moisturizer. Having said that, doing the spf with a seperate moisturizer makes me sooooo oily (product overkill!)

Does anyone know of a good combination of both?

Thx, and you guys! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe you can list what products you have tried. It would be easier for fellow forum members to make recommendation.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
My dermo suggested Dormer 211 SPF 30.
mper1327
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
Honestly, I haven't tried much else. I always wear a foundation that has SPF, but I feel like I need "extra" now that I'm getting older. Plus I read that spf in makeup isn't as effective because it breaks down after a little while with your skin oils, and I tend to believe that, because after a few hours, I can see where it has rubbed off.Can't be too much protection there.....

Before Purpose, I tried both DDF and Peter Thomas Roth sunscreens. Not too bad, but too expensive considering that they are sunscreens, and nothing else (goodies for skin)

I also tried the Juice Beauty Tinted moisturizer with spf 30, and it looked promising, but terrible on my face.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
I am a devoted user of Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer with SPF 20. It is a bit expensive but I think its worth it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:15 am      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
My dermo suggested Dormer 211 SPF 30.

Funny enough, I used Dormer 211 SPF 15 a few years ago and really liked it, despite the slightly thick texture. (I now use Asian sunscreens), but have to agree that the Dormer sunscreen was nice, though I didn't try the SPf 30 version.
lorettapy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:13 am      Reply with quote
[quote="Wild Cat"]I am a devoted user of Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer with SPF 20. It is a bit expensive but I think its worth it.[/quote]

Agree!! I'm a fans of it too! besides, those Japanese SPF moisturisers are very light in nature, not oily at all. U may try those from Sofina.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:19 am      Reply with quote
For an actual lotion, I like to use Zenbiotic's Sun Protect. The texture is very light and silky, and it also contains other nice ingredients like vitamins, amino acids, etc. You can check it out atwww.zenbiotic.com. Other than that, these days sometimes I skip the sunscreen lotion all together and just wear mineral makeup. Both my primer and my MMU have zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, so when I use them both together I feel pretty well-protected, and the MMU is great for oily skin and for acne.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the suggestions! The Zenbiotics sounds interesting. It will be on my list to try, and maybe also Sofina. I know how many people rave about the Nuance Up.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, and another thing. The added protection in the MMU attracted me to it, but it just doesn't work for me at all. I have dark purple marks from previous acne, and it doesn't cover them all the way like my liquid does. I had a friend who seemed to have flawless skin, and she told me about the wonders of BE when I saw her without makeup. Her skin was just as bad as mine! So I watched her do her makeup, and it was like magic! So you can imagine I bought it that day! Well, it didn't look well on me at all. I tried so many different types of brushes and techniques, and still yuck. My friend didn't believe that her HG didn't work on me, so she tried to apply it to me herself, with the same icky result. She was completely baffled! It was a perfect shade match too. I can say that it seems to work for so many people, with miraculous results, but just not me. Sad

Since then, I have tried about every MMU on the planet. BE, JI, Uglogirl, and a couple others that I can't remember what the names were (they went into the trash that fast!) So, I stick with my Loreal True Match, SPF 15.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:34 am      Reply with quote
I also have acne prone skin and find that many sunscreens make me break out. I've been using Clinique City Block for the past year, and have had absolutely no problems with it, in fact I really like it. It also provides a great make up base.
Recently I read some great reviews in another thread on Sofina Nuance Up SPF 50 and I just had to buy it! I got it from bobodave.com, for about $40. It also got fantastic reviews on MUA. Sofina also has another sunscreen, I think it's called Lucent, this one has some moisturiser added to it, so maybe this would be he one for you.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Julsey I have used the Sofina Lucent and it is not at all moisurizing. I have slightly oily skin and always have to use moisturizer under it. From what I understand it is just like the Nuance Up but without the tint. Now the Sofina Rise Cut UV Milk SPF 24 that I am currently using is more moisturizing than the Lucent but I still have to use moisturizer underneath it.
amb

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:59 am      Reply with quote
I am a huge lover of Skincueticals SPF 20 for everyday wear or 30 for when I'm outside for long periods of time. I've tried a lot of the Asian SPF's and found they were too light or left a white cast. I've also tried La Mer's SPF which I actually really like (and so do a lot of others) but the cost got to me after awhile.

Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15 is also a great drugstore alternative but I would still recommend spending the extra for Skinceuticals.

I'm 32 with sensitive reactive skin so it needs moisture but it can break out really easily and this has suited me well. IT's also been great for makeup (I wear mineral makeup)
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
You know, I've never found a truly balanced moisturizer for oily/acne prone skin with spf. I've had to adopt a few products.

CareKate's Pearl Creme (saves my face!)
Sofina Nuance Up (my spf)
Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer, oil free (which is actually more like a light foundation, I wouldn't call it a moisturizer at all really...but it does have spf 20)

5% products discount

Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
I use Avene Redness Relief Soothing Cream SPF 25. I don't have as much acne as I used to; an occasional pimple every now and then, but I definitely have clogged pores and very oily skin (I'm 25 and asian if that helps at all). I believe there is oil in this product, but it does not make me break out. It's greenish in color and thick enough for me. I've found some moisturizers for oily skin to be way too light. I use a pea sized amount every morning and sometimes use the Aromaleigh MMU if I want extra coverage (SPF 15). I bought the Avene moisturizer at CVS for $25 roughly. I also find Oil of Olay moisturizers have SPF 15 and work pretty well with my skin too (oil-free) and they're cheaper. Hope that helps!
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:41 am      Reply with quote
I have just recently purchased ROC Hydra+ SPF15 for the summer, it was £3 in the sale so fingers crossed it will be OK Wink

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
I really like the Clinique Superdefense SPF25 moisturiser. It's the only Clinique skincare i'd recommend to somebody. I've tried both the normal to dry, and the normal to oily versions and neither caused my hormonal acne-prone skin to break out - just lovely, creamy formulations that don't act or feel like sunscreen.

Very pleasantly surprising!
mper1327
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
Hmmmmm, so many great suggestion.....where's my credit card! Anxious Oh, yeah, that's right, went on a huge shopping spree (all month) and I'm broke Sad

But, this will definately help when I'm making my list for next month! Laughing

Thank you guys for the great suggestions, and if anyone else has any recs let me know!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
I like Aubrey's Organics Nature's Balance Unscented SPF 15 Hand & Body Lotion for my sensitive skin.

http://www.aubrey-organics.com/product1.cfm?product_id=224&cat=2&subcat=32
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:26 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |