Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Manuka honey UMF 20+ for skin - my experiment
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sark
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:26 am      Reply with quote
miranets - how exactly did you use the honey to exfoliate? thanks!
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:59 am      Reply with quote
Sark,

I have pure microdermabrasion crystals at home (the grains that are in EpidermxII) and I just mix the honey with some ZB toner and then add some of the crystals.

HTH
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
Have any of you found an online supplier of Comvita w/in the US?

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
I found the following sites where one can find active manuka honey in the US (or Canada). Anyone have any thoughts on these brands and retailers (especially those that are "experienced" active manuka honey users?

http://www.benshoney.com/item--Active-UMF25+-Manuka-Honey-250g--umf25_250_1.html
(25+, 250g, $29.95USD S&H $8.00)

http://www.goldminenaturalfood.com/detail.aspx?ID=692
(20+, 250g, $21.95USD S&H $9.95 UPS ground...other options available)

https://www.oraganic.com/products_detail.asp?food_id=1604&sid=109&cid=34&main_cat=
(25+, 250g, $34.99USD S&H: $7.99 for under $36, $3.99 for $36-$79, Free $79+)

I found Comvita 20+ on a few sites but they were from the UK and after currency conversion and shipping it was very expensive. And Comvita's US site it out of stock of their 20+.

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
Amnis, thank you for doing all of the research on this! Smile

I'm looking forward to reading some input on the brands that you found too.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
Hi guys

Just an update

I've been using the diluted honey on my face every night since my first post, and I really notice something *different* about my skin.

Firstly, I don't think it has done anything spectacular for the few spots that came up because of my Dr H mask.. even after spot treating with pure honey they did not disappear overnight as I hoped. But the one deep red spot which would have grown did disappear within 2 days and did not develop into one of those whiteheads

The biggest difference I have felt from using the honey is how *clear* my skin is. Apart from the isolated spots, all my pores are extremely clear and my skin texture is incredibly smooth. I also don't exfoliate every day anymore, and I don't experience any major dead skin build up from not exfoliating.

I tried to use a less-diluted mixture on my arms and chest to clear some spots but boy it gets really sticky and uncomfortable - so it is better to use a very diluted solution over a large area.

I would liken using strong active honey on the skin to using a very mild AHA/BHA topical because the enzymes in honey do dissolve dead skin cells without the potential irritation and photo sensitivity.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
Anyone...? What do you think about those brands and websites?

miranets wrote:
I don't experience any major dead skin build up from not exfoliating.

This would be nice. I feel like b/c of my Taz my skin is more rapidly turning over (or whatever you call it) so my skin is "shedding" a lot. I try to exfoliate as much as possible but I cannot every day b/c it would just irritate my skin too much.

miranets wrote:
I tried to use a less-diluted mixture on my arms and chest to clear some spots but boy it gets really sticky and uncomfortable - so it is better to use a very diluted solution over a large area.

I was wondering about the stickiness. Do you think diluting it too much would reduce its effectiveness though?

And miranets, where did you order your honey from?

sark
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
does anyone know what the ph of manuka honey is? i was just curious esp b/c zenbiotic is so concerned with alkalinity . . .
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
I bought mine from a local health shop that stocks most Comvita products, I'm in NZ so it is easier to get. Sorry I have no idea how to get Comvita overseas.. and I think as long as the UMF is certified then the quality would be OK.

As for diluting... it is not possible to use it without diluting a lot otherwise once it dries the honey becomes very tacky and uncomfortable. I think you would need to dilute it at 25% or less unless you want to wipe it off after a few hours.

I applied a small blob (about 5mm) to a wet face, and spread it around like lotion straight from the jar.. it became very thick and uncomfortable after it dried, so I ended up wiping most of it off anyway.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
sark wrote:
does anyone know what the ph of manuka honey is? i was just curious esp b/c zenbiotic is so concerned with alkalinity . . .

I think honey is mildly acidic, but I haven't had issues with using moderately acidic products along with ZB. Perhaps you could email Robert to see what he feels about honey.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
I bought mine from a local health shop that stocks most Comvita products, I'm in NZ

Well, that explains why you didn't mention what site you bought it from LOL. I thought you were in the US! This type of honey is not sold in stores here in the US and very few people even know what it is. The difference between the US and NZ...

yogi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:51 am      Reply with quote
amnis wrote:

Well, that explains why you didn't mention what site you bought it from LOL. I thought you were in the US! This type of honey is not sold in stores here in the US and very few people even know what it is. The difference between the US and NZ...

I live in the U.S., and I bought it at my local Whole Foods.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:17 am      Reply with quote
yogi wrote:

REALLY? Shock Was it "Comvita UMF 20+ Active Manuka Honey"? Do you remember how much you paid for it?

naomim
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:48 am      Reply with quote
Haven't been on the forums since before Christmas but this thread caught my eye...

I order the manuka products from

http://www.xynergy.co.uk/XynergySite/category/HairBody+Care_Manuka+Skincare/

The 18+ in a tube is sterile...hospital grade.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:55 am      Reply with quote
This is interesting. I will check wholefoods this week to see if they have manuka honey or something, if I remember. Very Happy
yogi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:09 am      Reply with quote
amnis wrote:
yogi wrote:

REALLY? Shock Was it "Comvita UMF 20+ Active Manuka Honey"? Do you remember how much you paid for it?

I know it's organic NZ. But I don't remember the brand offhand. I thinks it's +15. It was about $25, a month or two ago.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
update on the sites I listed earlier for potential places to buy active honey:

The following site no longer has any in stock and they don't expect any for another 4-5 months or so:
http://www.goldminenaturalfood.com/detail.aspx?ID=692

I emailed an Australian supplier of Comvita honey,www.greener-pastures.com.au, about their honey. I inquired about having it shipped to the US when it is so hot down under and here is what they had to say:

"It's a tough question and ideally, it should not expose to any high heat and light which will inactivate the enzymes in the honey. In short, there are many variables in transporting the honey to US from Australia and we can't control those variables. My advice is to get it in the local health shop or pharmacy in other part of the world and hoping that they have a better way of handling those honey while imported."

Shipping is SO expensive from their to the US! Ouch. It also takes A LOT longer to receive it than from somewhere else, say, in the northern hemisphere.

I'm not sure what I will do yet...

amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
Exclamation Yikes! Shock I just read this onwww.manukahoneyusa.com:

External Applications for Active Manuka Honey include: first degree burn, second degree burn, third degree burn, infectious wounds, ulcers, sores, decubitus sores, pressure sores, diabetic leg ulcers, diabetic foot ulcers, amputation stump wounds, old war wounds that are still not healing, scars, surgical scars after hip replacement, cosmetic surgery scars after a tummy tuck, face lift or liposuction. For external wounds use an Active Manuka Honey with a UMF Rating of 10+, 12+, 14+, 16+, maximum strength UMF 18+, but no higher that 18+.

Active Manuka Honey's with a rare UMF Rating of 20, 25 or maybe even higher, is too strong and may cause adverse reactions such as a burning and / or stinging sensation both internally as well as on external wounds.

Arrow What do you think?

miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:50 pm      Reply with quote
Amnis,

I haven't experienced any irritation from using the manuka honey at all, it does tingle the slightest when I apply after a hot shower and exfoliation.. but it's nothing compared to using other enzymes like bromelain/papain etc.

I suppose an open wound would react differently to undamaged skin, perhaps there is a potential for irritation from the enzymes.

But I don't think it is right to say to claim that higher UMF would cause burning sensations.. perhaps in sensitive individuals with intestinal problems??
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
I would likely mix it with something!
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:22 pm      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
Amnis,

I haven't experienced any irritation from using the manuka honey at all, it does tingle the slightest when I apply after a hot shower and exfoliation.. but it's nothing compared to using other enzymes like bromelain/papain etc.

I suppose an open wound would react differently to undamaged skin, perhaps there is a potential for irritation from the enzymes.

But I don't think it is right to say to claim that higher UMF would cause burning sensations.. perhaps in sensitive individuals with intestinal problems??

That didn't sound right to me either -- even though I've never actually used manuka honey. Wink I'd love to get my hands on some 20+ or higher; thank you for confirming that it isn't too strong. Very Happy
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:50 pm      Reply with quote
Have most people been having trouble getting their hands on UMF 20+ in the States?

I am not sure of biosecurity measures for imports going into the States - anyone can confirm for bee products?

But if anyone is interested I could look at ordering any grade of high UMF for members and send it out. Perhaps a bulk order if there are enough members wanting it.

Or if anyone else wants, there is UMF 18+ wound dressing which is sterile manuka honey, which comes in a small tube and is cheaper too.

The jars are 250gm, so postage rates via Airmail would be around $9-15USD (extra $8 for track and trace).

(prices in NZD)
UMF 20+ is $39
UMF 25+ is $45
UMF 30+ is $58

PM me if you are interested Smile
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:05 am      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
Have most people been having trouble getting their hands on UMF 20+ in the States?

I am not sure of biosecurity measures for imports going into the States - anyone can confirm for bee products?

But if anyone is interested I could look at ordering any grade of high UMF for members and send it out. Perhaps a bulk order if there are enough members wanting it.

Or if anyone else wants, there is UMF 18+ wound dressing which is sterile manuka honey, which comes in a small tube and is cheaper too.

The jars are 250gm, so postage rates via Airmail would be around $9-15USD (extra $8 for track and trace).

(prices in NZD)
UMF 20+ is $39
UMF 25+ is $45
UMF 30+ is $58

PM me if you are interested Smile

Yes, miranets, it's hard to find. That's for the nice offer! If we did a bulk order we could save a little $ (thanks to miranets!). And there shouldn't be a problem shipping honey to the US.

I am confused as to whether or not I should order it from NZ with the weather being so warm and all. (I'm afraid of it diminishing quality and destroying the enzymes). Do think I am worried for nothing?

And I am finding that it's hard to know which brand one should trust. I know that a couple of you guys use Comvita so I trust that brand.... Have you ever heard of "Honey New Zealand"?

Fyi:
Converted to USD:
UMF 20+ $26.74
UMF 25+ $30.86
UMF 30+ $39.78

I found some 20+ Comvita on shopnewzealand.com.nz ($34.35USD including S&H... how can they ship so cheap for $5.25?!)

amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:14 am      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
Amnis,

That's good that it doesn't irritate you. You have the 20+, right? I can't imagine that there would be much difference between the 16+ or 18+ and a 20+. This website (www.manukahoney.usa) really advocates that the best active manuka honey to use has a rating between 15 and 19. My question about this is how do they validate this other than the fact that they base their recommendation on customer feedback? If they cannot substantiate it (like from clinical studies or research) how can I believe it? They are the only website that say this about active manuka honey (that I have come across so far).

miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:17 am      Reply with quote
If I buy the UMF 20, it is readily available from most health shops, and the expiry date for my batch was 2011. As for the temperature, NZ summers are like 26 degrees maximum.. but most things are kept in air conditioned shops. As for the temperature changes during shipping, I suppose they would be the same for any sort of goods shipped overseas?

I think honey could withstand room temperatures, but it is just heating from cooking that compromises the quality. I keep mine in the fridge all the time just to make sure though.

I haven't heard of the brand "Honey NZ". Comvita is the only brand I know of that actually makes UMF 25/30, I think they have an advantage because they are a big international company, and well trusted because they also make medical products. But my only gripe is that their honey is not organic or "cruelty free".

The shipping cost I quoted was only from the nzpost.co.nz website, I would have to charge an estimated cost to factor in extra weight for packaging as well. The ShopNZ website could subsidise shipping since they are making a profit from the honey too :P
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |