Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

RetinA micro application on nose...How?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
aaron7

Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:32 am      Reply with quote
Ok, sorry to write something about a prescription product, since it seems like this forum is more geared towards non-prescription products.

but I've been using Retin-A on my face with good results, but it didn't seem to work around my nose (i think it was too oily so i stopped). Is their a way to do it right on the nose? i mean where on the nose can you use it and where can't you? If you have had prior experience please reply to my post. also should I, i guess rub it in away from my sides of the nose and to the middle ie.nosebridge?

what can I expect if I start doing that now...?
Thanks a lot.
Mabsy

Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:54 am      Reply with quote
Hi Aaron,

Please see my reply to your previous post http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=9219&highlight=#9219. Avoid the groove! Wink

As I said though, I haven't used it - hopefully someone that has will chime in and give you some advice. Still, my recommendation would be for you to ask your derm/Dr seeing as it is prescription med.

Mabsy
aaron7

Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:22 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply mabsy; I wasn't sure what you meant by groove...anyhow, I was hoping someone could tell me their experience with this exact thing i.e. applying retinA micro to your nose area.

Mabsy wrote:
Hi Aaron,

Please see my reply to your previous post http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=9219&highlight=#9219. Avoid the groove! Wink

As I said though, I haven't used it - hopefully someone that has will chime in and give you some advice. Still, my recommendation would be for you to ask your derm/Dr seeing as it is prescription med.

Mabsy
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
I have used retin-a forever. The packaging says not to use it on the 'angle' of your nose, meaning the sides by your nostrils. The reasons for this is that is a sensitive area of your face and prone to irritation. That being said, I have used it on my nose, just like the rest of my face as long as I have been using retin-a. Tolerance will vary from person to person and it depends on the strength that you are using. I would suggest using it on your nose every other night first and make sure that it doesn't irritate your nose, then you could increase to everynight. As Mabsy said, it is always best to call your doc.

Liz
aaron7

Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:31 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Liz for the insight. I'll try that. I just started two days ago and there is some bad activity (i.e. zits the inflamed kind comming up, but i guess i can expect that for the first two weeks maybe). Oh yeah...concerning a doctor, that's problematic cause I just moved to germany and don't really know anything and the change of climate is also what started this outbreak anyway...hopefully it'll all go away soon.

abejita wrote:
I have used retin-a forever. The packaging says not to use it on the 'angle' of your nose, meaning the sides by your nostrils. The reasons for this is that is a sensitive area of your face and prone to irritation. That being said, I have used it on my nose, just like the rest of my face as long as I have been using retin-a. Tolerance will vary from person to person and it depends on the strength that you are using. I would suggest using it on your nose every other night first and make sure that it doesn't irritate your nose, then you could increase to everynight. As Mabsy said, it is always best to call your doc.

Liz
aaron7

Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:04 am      Reply with quote
Hey Liz,

by the way, has retin A been working for you? how was it before and how is it now? also, how old are you?

aaron7 wrote:
Thanks Liz for the insight. I'll try that. I just started two days ago and there is some bad activity (i.e. zits the inflamed kind comming up, but i guess i can expect that for the first two weeks maybe). Oh yeah...concerning a doctor, that's problematic cause I just moved to germany and don't really know anything and the change of climate is also what started this outbreak anyway...hopefully it'll all go away soon.

abejita wrote:

Liz
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:53 am      Reply with quote
Don't you know that you are never supposed to ask a girl how old she is? Very Happy I am 30 now. Shock I have been using Retin-A on and off since I was 18 or 19. It has been wonderful for me. I never had 'normal' acne. Mine (lucky me) was very cystic. The key to retin-a is to use it regularly, you probably won't see results for a month or two, but it does work. Also, don't try to over do it. More retin-a isn't necessarily better, you'll just end up irritating your face and making things worse. I used the .05% gel for a long time and then switch to the .1% micro. The micro is soooo much better. No irritation at all. These past few years has been the longest stretch that I have used it (probably about 3 years straight) I finally realized that if I keep using it the results keep getting better. I have recently switched to the .04% micro and I only use it every other night. That is really all I need.

As far as how my face is now, you probably wouldn't believe that I ever had an acne problem. Part of it is age and part of it is taking much better care of my face. Once I added vit C to my regimin, my skin has been the clearest and, dare I say, radiant than it has been in my whole life. I wouldn't necessarily recommend that you start using C right now, though. If you want to do something like that, wait until your face is accustomed to the retin-a.

liz
bbiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, abejita:
I have a question for you. As you were talking about the retinA, where do you get them? Are they from the pharmacy? Do you need prescriptions to issue the formulations? I am not quite sure, I have been using retinol products, but seem not the same as you were talking about? Yea, I know they are different form and should have different strengths .... mine are palmitate things, anyway .. would like to clarify Laughing, also, do you mind sharing with us the brand that you are using? Does it matter? Or only the strength and form matters? Thanks in advance Wink
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
Retin-A is the brand, I believe now that they have a generic of the gel, but not the micro formulation. Here in the States, you need a prescription, I am not sure about other countries. The generic name is tretinoin. Retin-A is MUCH stronger than retinal products that you can buy over the counter. I found an article for you that can explain it a bit better than me.

http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/newsletter63.asp?WID=%7BF080082A%2D9C9D%2D403D%2D8D31%2D0E88B8272458%7D

Liz
bbiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks abejita, so, with what conditions can you get the prescription? Did you mean the generic version is a OTC thing?
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
No, the generic version still requires a prescription. It is just a bit less expensive. Retin-A is about $90 for a 45 gram tube and you can get the generic version for about $75. Here, retin-A is one of the first treatments a dermatologist will use for moderate acne. Most insurance companies won't cover retin-a for people over 25 because many "older" people use retin-a to treat wrinkles and hyperpigmentation, as well. I know in Mexico, you can buy retin-a without a prescription. My husband is from Mexico City and whenever we go visit, I always get a few tubes because it only cost $7/45gram tube.

If it does require a prescription where you live, I really don't think that your doc would have any issues writing one for you.

Liz
bbiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:33 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks again for your detailed information. I am living in the US as well, I dont really have an acne problem, just occassional breakouts, I never visit a doctor b/c of acne problems, but when there is one, it can be very persistent that it can last like forever, interestingly, the acnes always appear at the same spots!!!! Can Retin A treat my problem? Can Retin A help fade the scar of pimples/acnes? Thanks !
aaron7

Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:03 am      Reply with quote
Hey Liz,

lol...sorry about that age thing. I'm here in germany and people here are always pretty straightforward...and asking stupid impolite questions...
anyhow, yeah, my face has also been pretty clear since on retin A...i.e. i've been using it for about9 months now, and I think it started to be very passable after maybe 4 months...the thing was, I recently, started to use antioxidants in addition to retinA (after moving to a different country i.e. Germany, and having a big breakout about 2 weeks in=i'm not sure if's the food or whatever)...in anycase, after antioxidants, i unexplainably had breakouts, but only on/near my nose...not even above my mouth, or on my nose bridge or anything...but just specifically on my two sides of my nose. This was freaky because before this, I never had anything on my nose (hence I didn't apply retinAmicro on my nose).

now I'm applying ReinA micro everywhere except above my mouth...which is still ok. after about a week, it seems to be starting to get better, but i guess it's really way too early to tell.

Anyhow, bbiz question, the brand is RetinA micro, and with my insurance in the US, i pay about 18 dollars for a prescription tube of 45g....as copay i guess. I heared you can actually get 3 tubes prescribed with one copay if you ask the doctor. I've never tried that. Does anyone know how long these tubes are good for? or do they go bad?

quote="abejita"]Don't you know that you are never supposed to ask a girl how old she is? Very Happy I am 30 now. Shock I have been using Retin-A on and off since I was 18 or 19. It has been wonderful for me. I never had 'normal' acne. Mine (lucky me) was very cystic. The key to retin-a is to use it regularly, you probably won't see results for a month or two, but it does work. Also, don't try to over do it. More retin-a isn't necessarily better, you'll just end up irritating your face and making things worse. I used the .05% gel for a long time and then switch to the .1% micro. The micro is soooo much better. No irritation at all. These past few years has been the longest stretch that I have used it (probably about 3 years straight) I finally realized that if I keep using it the results keep getting better. I have recently switched to the .04% micro and I only use it every other night. That is really all I need.

As far as how my face is now, you probably wouldn't believe that I ever had an acne problem. Part of it is age and part of it is taking much better care of my face. Once I added vit C to my regimin, my skin has been the clearest and, dare I say, radiant than it has been in my whole life. I wouldn't necessarily recommend that you start using C right now, though. If you want to do something like that, wait until your face is accustomed to the retin-a.

liz[/quote]
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:48 am      Reply with quote
I was just joking about the age thing. Laughing It doesn't bother me at all.

Retin-a does have an expiration date. Most tubes that I have gotten expire 1-2 years after I get them. I have never tried getting retin-a through mailorder with the three month supply for one month copay. It is kind of tricky and varies from insurance to insurance whether you can do it or not. One 45gr tube of retin-a micro lasts me over 10 months, I use the gel a bit faster. I guess that you would just have to ask your insurance.

Liz
aaron7

Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:32 am      Reply with quote
Liz,

one tube of 45 gr...lasts you over 10 months? Wow..i thought I was using it slowly as it lasts me about 3 months...do you use it only every 3rd day or so? I mean...i don't even put that much on...about a small pea sized drop on 3 parts of my face...that i smear then...

i feel like if i use only everyother day or so...it just won't be as effective. ie. even when i take a day off which i do about every 1ce in two weeks, i feel like the next day when i resume, it gets worse than ususal...might just be psychological though.

Aaron.
abejita wrote:
I was just joking about the age thing. Laughing It doesn't bother me at all.

Retin-a does have an expiration date. Most tubes that I have gotten expire 1-2 years after I get them. I have never tried getting retin-a through mailorder with the three month supply for one month copay. It is kind of tricky and varies from insurance to insurance whether you can do it or not. One 45gr tube of retin-a micro lasts me over 10 months, I use the gel a bit faster. I guess that you would just have to ask your insurance.

Liz
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:44 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |