Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
MSM - I lost body fat & tighter skin - anyone else too?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:35 am      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
I am only about 10 pages in on reading this thread and page 10 has brought up a question for me. I am taking opti-msm from vitacost (just started 1,000 mg daily last week). Anyway do you think this is a good brand?

Normally I love VitaCost and the NSI brand stuff but I'm concerned that when you 'test' these cap's by emptying them in water that the powder floats and won't sink, there is obviously some additive since you can see the film that is formed on the top of the water. So how much do you think this effects the quality / absorption of the msm?

Mine floated too until I stirred it, and that seemed to work. I can't remember if I saw a film on mine though... that could be the MSM, but I don't know. I'll try it again and get back to you.
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:41 am      Reply with quote
taobunny wrote:
From reading this thread, it seems like most people take their MSM as a powder in a drink - but I know myself and I'll never end up sticking with that regimen... (Yeah, that's me - I want results but I'm lazy to...) Rolling Eyes

I know what you mean Laughing

I actually hadn't noticed if people were drinking theirs or not... I suppose it doesn't matter how you take it, but I do know that the online shop Detox Your World sells MSM powder which comes in a bag. You can then take a teaspoon and easily add the MSM to smoothies or whatever. It saves the trouble of having to crack open capsules and empty them, and it would be nice to take MSM as food and not as pills.

Their service is fast and they ship all over the world.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:48 am      Reply with quote
Fox wrote:
GirlieGirl wrote:
Normally I love VitaCost and the NSI brand stuff but I'm concerned that when you 'test' these cap's by emptying them in water that the powder floats and won't sink, there is obviously some additive since you can see the film that is formed on the top of the water. So how much do you think this effects the quality / absorption of the msm?

Mine floated too until I stirred it, and that seemed to work. I can't remember if I saw a film on mine though... that could be the MSM, but I don't know. I'll try it again and get back to you.

I tried it again using distilled water instead of tap. Still would not dissolve even if I stirred it, it just floats right back up to the top. And eventually develops this kind of weird film on the top of the water. I will finish the bottle I have but I wont buy the NSI brand again.
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:02 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
I tried it again using distilled water instead of tap. Still would not dissolve even if I stirred it, it just floats right back up to the top.

I wonder if it would work better with some sort of acidic liquid (i.e. orange juice] or with some sort of liquid with lipids in it [i.e. milk]?

Just wondering...
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
taobunny wrote:
Quote:
I tried it again using distilled water instead of tap. Still would not dissolve even if I stirred it, it just floats right back up to the top.

I wonder if it would work better with some sort of acidic liquid (i.e. orange juice] or with some sort of liquid with lipids in it [i.e. milk]?

Just wondering...

I am just testing to see if there any fillers, so you need to use water.
layla_land

Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone know where I can buy MSM in Vancouver, Canada?

or suggested names of health food stores which might have it?
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:55 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
I am just testing to see if there any fillers, so you need to use water.

My sincere apologies for my misunderstanding. Sad
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Layla_land,

Here are some links that might be helpful for you to find a source for MSM:

http://www.iherb.com/store/ProductDetails.aspx?c=Herbs&pid=MRM-22007

http://www.msm-msm.com/

http://www.wnpharmaceuticals.com/product_details.asp?id=541&cat=53

Quote:
o) 'Where can I buy it?' If you live in the US, you could order MSM Sulphur from:www.msm-msm.com or richdistributing.com, these are good quality and very pure brands of MSM or if you find a brand in a local store which is from an organic source and has the 'OptiMSM' or 'Lignisul MSM' trademarked logos (proof/guarantee of excellent quality) then try those ones. They should be good if they have these stamps of approval on them.

If you live in the UK go to a GNC health store and buy 'Supasulf', made by NutriLabs, it's a mainly white bottle with the trademark 'OptiMSM' stamped on it. Alternatively, you could order it online if you don't have a GNC store nearby at: http://www.msm-uk.net/to_buy_msm.htm, they also take orders from abroad. If you want to try/switch to the crystals, then go online to http://a1msm.com

To buy Rich's MSM Max (stronger), go to Google and type in 'Rich's MSM Max USA' and buy online - there are a few choices in the USA. In the UK, go to http://www.health-hippo.co.uk/products/msm/ Excellent stuff! And most definitely recommended because of it's perfect quality and efficacy and this brand will give you your optimal daily dose of pure MSM.

Hope this helps!
layla_land

Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:01 am      Reply with quote
Thankyou Taobunny,

I'm currently in Australia, and was lucky enough to find the pure MSM powder in a health food store over here, but I am travelling to Vancouver soon and don't think you are allowed to take it, (don't want to risk any drama with customs), so hopefully I can find a place that stocks it over there.

I'm suprised looking at all these sites that it all seems to be in capsules and not the powder? Are the capsules as effective? I just want to make sure it's pure with no additives.
jeanni
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
Tangal wrote:
when starting MSM start with small doses once a day with some food in your stomach of a meal. Taking on an empty stomach can increase stomach upset in some people.

Start with 500 mg. GRADUALLY work up your dose.
Drink lots of water to help flush your system.

MSM is a natural sulfer componant in the human body, it is part of all tissues, and a key componant part of skin, hair, nails, joints, and structer tissues.

I have some links on MSM but need to find them, I will add later.

A little info is here:
www.msm-msm.com andwww.bio-alternatives.net - These are two sites I recomend and but from.

Info on the detox effect, and how to lessen that. http://www.msm-msm.com/faq.html

Messageboard section covers uses of MSM.
http://www.msm-msm.com/board/viewforum.php?f=5&sid=f33df6007409cae587e71eb616c2dfd1

I will add links later I have info on how it helps hair growth and skin pigmentation issues.

Tangal,

I know you posted this a while ago, but hopefully you are still watching this post and can answer this question for me...or anyone else who knows the answer.

I see that MSM is component of sulphur. Now, I am allergic to sulfa drugs, medication that has sulphur in them. However, since this component is naturally found in the body, I'm wondering if this would be okay for me to take...? I may end up checking with my doc so I don't break out in hives...but any input from you ladies would be helpful! Very Happy
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
jeanni wrote:
I see that MSM is component of sulphur. Now, I am allergic to sulfa drugs, medication that has sulphur in them. However, since this component is naturally found in the body, I'm wondering if this would be okay for me to take...? I may end up checking with my doc so I don't break out in hives...but any input from you ladies would be helpful! Very Happy

I am also allergic to sulpha and read that the sulphur is not that same as sulpha. I take MSM with no problems. If I take higher doses I get headaches and GI issues but read also that this is normal side effects for some people. If I stay with the lower dose (1000mg) than I have no side effects at all. Probably a good idea to double check with your doctor though because everyone reacts differently.
jeanni
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
Very helpful...thanks so much, Diana! Smile
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
What do you guys make of this article on Quack Watch about MSM? http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/msm.html
lifecoach
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:49 am      Reply with quote
snowstar wrote:
mountaingirl wrote:
Ester C is fine to take with MSM.

1) Is it better to take ester c or c ester (vit c) then? Or is there no difference?

2) Which form of vit c is everyone taking? Capsule form, chewable form or those big ones which fizzes upon contact with water?

3) Since MSM has a half life of 12 hours. Does this mean it is better for us to take it with the "normal" vit c and not the time release ones?

thanks Smile

I am confused with this as well. I have just bought MSM today, and want to know if I have to take vit c with it.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
lifecoach wrote:
snowstar wrote:
mountaingirl wrote:
Ester C is fine to take with MSM.

1) Is it better to take ester c or c ester (vit c) then? Or is there no difference?

2) Which form of vit c is everyone taking? Capsule form, chewable form or those big ones which fizzes upon contact with water?

3) Since MSM has a half life of 12 hours. Does this mean it is better for us to take it with the "normal" vit c and not the time release ones?

thanks Smile

I am confused with this as well. I have just bought MSM today, and want to know if I have to take vit c with it.

From I've read its better to take w/ Vit C. For every 1,000 MSM, 500 C.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:31 pm      Reply with quote
Please take note for those of you trying to fade pigmentation or melasma with MSM that the doses to achieve this may be very high. I read that it's between 8000mg to 15,000mg per day in divided doses. I have a large pigmented patch on my arm which I've previously tried to fade with hydroquinone (without success) and it requires 10,000mg per day before I can see patches of light skin in between the brown areas. I built up this dose gradually over a period of 2 months. Luckily, I don't have much adverse effect from MSM.It really is very interesting to see how the brown patch has changed but I didn't notice it until recently (2 months after starting). I think some of the brown age spots have also lightened but it's hard to tell because I look at my skin every day. It's easier with the brown patch because I can see it becoming mottled with the lighter areas showing up.

I am also taking 1000mg ester-C plus 1000mg C-ester (retinyl palmitate - which is a fat soluble form of vit. C - recommended to me by one of the forum members here).
catballou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:51 am      Reply with quote
Fox, I'm always suspect of people or institutions whose aim is to be negative about anything that's not prescription. My experience is that I've done myself far more good with "health food" supplements than doctors ever did. Not everything that I try works for me or is even good for me, but I value the right to make my own choices.

Fox wrote:
What do you guys make of this article on Quack Watch about MSM? http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/msm.html
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:41 am      Reply with quote
Fox wrote:
What do you guys make of this article on Quack Watch about MSM? http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics
/DSH/msm.html

There seems to be a lack of science backing the health effects of MSM. I don't take MSM. I prefer to take supplements that are extensively researched for their effectiveness (and hopefully safety), like resveratrol, blueberry extract, green foods, omega 3 etc. Also, I don't want to take high doses of a supplement for the sole reason of improving my skin or hair. I need to know that the supplements I am taking are beneficial for my body in general.

5% products discount

Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hi!

I just wanted to chime in and say that, after reading everyone's posts, I started taking MSM three weeks ago and have never felt better.

I had a gastric bypass 11 years ago (@ the age of 19!) and have maintained a 100lb weight loss ever since, despite having a baby last year.

While it's true that most gastric bypass patients suffer from vitamin/mineral deficiencies, I pay really close attention to my intake and eat consciously while taking a whole food multi-vitamin and Omegas in order to maintain my health.

What a miracle MSM has been for me! I noticed a difference in my hair IMMEDIATELY! Within a day or two, it felt noticeably fuller and shinier, which is hard for someone like me to do. My baby fine hair usually won't grow past shoulder length, but 2g of MSM every morning really does great things to my hair (and thus my confidence).

My skin is definitely smoother and my nails are growing as well. I did notice some changes in my sleep habits for the first few days but they went away when I started taking the MSM only in the morning.

Can I tell you about the energy? Holy cow! I am mentally alert and focused without being jittery. I was never a big coffee drinker but I have noticed that the MSM wakes me up enough to not even think about pouring a cup of java.

AND, the weight loss! I think it's a combination of my heightened energy (without jitters) and the natural detoxification process that MSM does, which has helped me shed 5 of my 15 post-pregnancy pounds. I hopped on the scale last night and was like "what? Are you kidding? That number never moves! This is cool."

The way I avoid stomach upset/gas is to take the MSM 30mins to an hour after breakfast. If I take it before my breakfast has digested, it tends to stick with the food all day and cause bloating. However, giving my breakfast a chance to settle digest some has completely eliminated any discomfort I first felt when taking MSM without waiting.

I do take the MSM in powder form and I do throw in a scoop of Ester-C in the juice as well. Through reading other people's posts, I learned that the MSM works better when accompanied by the Ester-C.

SO, that's my MSM story. I realize some people are taking a lot more than 2g and are also taking it in the evenings as well. But, this is my story and I just wanted to share it with the group who was awesome enough to introduce the product to me. Thanks, thanks, thanks

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
I agree about the energy level going up on MSM. It is very noticeable. It enables me to do more strenuous workouts at the gym and also my joints are no longer creaky like before which also helps. So I am generally trimmer and fitter than before. And the condition of the nails is also improved. I've had a deformed toe nail for donkeys' years due to compression by footwear and the nail now looks normal.

Well, there may not be scientific proof knocking around for this supplement but it seems to be helpful to some people. It's not an expensive supplement so I suppose companies wouldn't fund studies to formally prove its benefits.

I agree that one shouldn't be on high doses though. I am going to reduce the dosage once I got the brown patch faded off. I must say I wasn't expecting it to work for pigmentation either being a sceptic myself but I couldn't resist testing it out anyway. In any case, it's cheaper than doing the Obagi regime on my arm (since hydroquinone didn't work previously).
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
Fox wrote:

Never heard of it. what IS Quackwatch and more importantly is it a juried on-line reporter?
snowstar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:00 am      Reply with quote
hi lilsigngrl, which brand of MSM and Ester C are you taking? thank you

i'm having a horrible time trying to track down MSM powder in Singapore... and haven't started the Ester C search. Vit c is easily available (redaxon brand ) but i think that is kinda different from ester C

THANK YOU

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:04 am      Reply with quote
Dear sister sweet,

I read your post regarding msm on the other thread. The suggested vit c to MSM dosage
is 2000mg of MSM for 1000mg of vit C.

Source Naturals uses optiMSM but their powder is a mix. The supplement facts states that each serving for 1/2 teaspoon provieds 650 mg of vit c and 2.6 gm of optimsm MSM.

Is this a good ratio? I'm a little lost between mg and gm...

Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:29 am      Reply with quote
m1rox Where did you find dosage for specific skin care issues?
lilsigngrl
5% products discount

Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:54 am      Reply with quote
I am taking NOW brand MSM and American Health US Ester-C. I bought them both at a local health food store but I think you can find excellent MSM at the msm-msm.com website and Ester-C is the highest quality (and best absorbed) vitamin C, made by many companies.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:51 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |