Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What happened to good grammar and spelling?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
What happened to good grammar and spelling? I notice this often here in Sweden with people using slang even when speaking with their boss!
Did manners and proper education fly out the door?

I have also observed this often on message boards. It seems that few can be bothered to type full words anymore. Sentences like, "u r right, i totally agree with u" seem commonplace nowadays. Is this normal? How hard is it to hold down the "shift" button so that you form a capital letter while typing? Has the world become THAT lazy or is it just that we have accepted it? As far as I see it if someone types a comment or question in all lower case letters not even pausing between sentences I am not going to respond just out of protest. Does that make me a snob? Perhaps, I am a teacher after all Wink however proper grammar and writing is the foundation of any language. Don't let it become sloppy and slang.
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
Anna, I totally agree with you! I'm one of those people who double checks everything I write, even here on the forum where I know we're among friends! I try hard not to let any errors go by (but sometimes a few slip through). I double check every e-mail before I send it and I get a lot of razzing from my friends because I write in full sentences and even double check my text messages when I'm IMing by cell phone!

You are not alone. Many of my friends gauge the intelligence of a writer by how well they write, with punctuation and spelling (proper spelling, there are times when you can tell there's been a typographical error, which is a different thing all together) being key. One of the girls I work with is doing online dating right now, and she totally judges a man by his e-mails and her pet peeve is bad spelling, grammar, etc.
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl wrote:
One of the girls I work with is doing online dating right now, and she totally judges a man by his e-mails and her pet peeve is bad spelling, grammar, etc.

She knocks a lot of people out early on then.
Laughing

I try to write correctly and I certainly don't use u r rite etc.
They had a problem in Australia (last year I think) because the students doing their HSC exams were writing in text style.
Rolling Eyes

I am trying to write especially correctly in this thread.
Cool
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
I'm seeing that more and more. My 13 year old daughter has handed in written assignments where she has used IM slang. She didn't even realize that she had done it! IMing had created a language that crosses over into the real world more and more often.
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
What is IM slang?
Confused
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
I can relate to some of what you have written. I am one of those anal retentive people as well who has to make sure everything is correct. (Writing is part of my job after all.) Whenever I send out and editorial, an email to friends, or even post on this forum, I triple and quadruple check everything I write. Sometimes it takes me half an hour to post one paragraph just because I am trying to choose my words carefully and then am editing and re-editing and checking for spelling and grammatical errors. Hey, call me an obsessive perfectionist. I know I have a disorder. LOL Rolling Eyes It really irritates me when I post something after having checked it 10 times only to find another error. Grrrrrr. Mad Yes, I know I have a problem. LOL Laughing

On the other hand, I think it's great to feel comfortable enough with someone to use colloquialisms and/or abbreviations. It can really reduce your stress and time too. And really, why should we care how others write? If they are using proper terminology for the most part, polite language etc, does it really matter if they abbreviate words or use shortcuts and slang. The message still comes across right?

We also have to keep in mind that English is not everyone's first language on this forum, so we should commend them for at least trying. This forum shouldn't just be for English masters; we're talking about skin care, not Englsih Lit! Sure I may be one of those people who has to try and be as eloquent as possible, but I don't think it's proper to discourage others whose command of the English language is, for lack of a better word, "basic". I welcome all of "U" to post your hearts out!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
wildflower wrote:
I can relate to some of what you have written. I am one of those anal retentive people as well who has to make sure everything is correct. (Writing is part of my job after all.) Whenever I send out and editorial, an email to friends, or even post on this forum, I triple and quadruple check everything I write. Sometimes it takes me half an hour to post one paragraph just because I am trying to choose my words carefully and then am editing and re-editing and checking for spelling and grammatical errors. Hey, call me an obsessive perfectionist. I know I have a disorder. LOL Rolling Eyes It really irritates me when I post something after having checked it 10 times only to find another error. Grrrrrr. Mad Yes, I know I have a problem. LOL Laughing

On the other hand, I think it's great to feel comfortable enough with someone to use colloquialisms and/or abbreviations. It can really reduce your stress and time too. And really, why should we care how others write? If they are using proper terminology for the most part, polite language etc, does it really matter if they abbreviate words or use shortcuts and slang. The message still comes across right?

We also have to keep in mind that English is not everyone's first language on this forum, so we should commend them for at least trying. This forum shouldn't just be for English masters; we're talking about skin care, not Englsih Lit! Sure I may be one of those people who has to try and be as eloquent as possible, but I don't think it's proper to discourage others whose command of the English language is, for lack of a better word, "basic". I welcome all of "U" to post your hearts out!

Very well said wildflower. Actually, I think everyone on EDS does very well. Most post are well written and understandable.

When on a public forum we are dealing with people from all walks of life, different educational levels and English not their main language.

I am here to exchange skin care ideas and have some general discussion in the lounge. It is nice to have such a lovely group to hang out and share with. Personally, as long as I can read the post punctuation and grammar are not an issue with me. However, if someone is deliberately making communication difficult it can be annoying. For instance: shouting (all caps). I have seen shouting on EDS. Most of the time someone nicely brings it to the posters attention and they correct it.

It is most embarassing to me when I read a post I have made and find errors. When EDS allowed you to edit your post (no time limit) I liked that. Writing is not one of my strong points. Embarassed
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
My brother is 21, and will go out of his way to type wuz, cuz, sum and cain't instead of can't, because he thinks he is a thug.....
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
Emma2006 wrote:
What is IM slang?
Confused

I think IM = instant message Very Happy
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:08 pm      Reply with quote
Emma2006 wrote:
What is IM slang?
Confused

Emma, IM is instant messaging. If you are IMing, you want to be able to type quickly, so many words and sayings are abbreviated to accomplish that. That's where terms like ROFL, BRB, KWIM, etc. came from. Smile
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
tam wrote:
That's where terms like ROFL, BRB, KWIM, etc. came from. Smile

Oh boy....what is KWIM? My so-called generation invented these, and I've never heard this one.
Mabsy

Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
Anna, you're not alone! I can tolerate spelling mistakes but it really gets to me when people use SMS-type abbreviations in their normal writing - it's not like they're restricted to the 164 characters anymore! They *can* afford to use the extra two letters and write "you" instead of "u", or "great" instead of "gr8". I have no problem with the LOL, ROFL, etc abbreviations that aim to add emotion into written text, but there is a time and place for everything.

It's also scary how much of this I see in students' writing at the university level. And, yes, I do deduct marks for it and make nasty comments Razz

my sushi secret - KWIM = "know what I mean?"
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you poohlisey and Tam.

I have only just learnt how to message - I am a dinasaur with technology.

It's funny but I do write OYSWIM on the computer but I didn't know what KWIM was?
Laughing
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
Emma2006 wrote:

It's funny but I do write OYSWIM on the computer but I didn't know what KWIM was?
Laughing

Now I have to ask you what OYSWIM means? Laughing
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
tam wrote:
Emma2006 wrote:

Laughing

well, it would actually help if I spelt it correctly.
Embarassed Laughing

IYSWIM = If you see what I mean.
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Mabsy!

tam wrote:

I Googled it and nothing came up. If she meant IYSWIM, it stands for if you see what I mean. Speaking of spelling things wrong, Emma!

Just kidding! Laughing
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
Ahhhh! You beat me to it. =)
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
Emma2006 wrote:
tam wrote:
Emma2006 wrote:

Laughing

well, it would actually help if I spelt it correctly.
Embarassed Laughing

IYSWIM = If you see what I mean.

Thank you! That would have bothered me all night that I couldn't figure it out. Very Happy
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
You're welcome.
Razz
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:24 pm      Reply with quote
You guys are so cute! Very Happy
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:06 am      Reply with quote
One thing that really, really bugs me is seeing bad spelling and grammar in magazines and on signs and I seem to be seeing it a lot lately. Maybe I'm just anal, but I've actually just written a complaint to one magazine because every issue there's some major mistakes, it seems like no-one proof reads anything anymore! Magazines that is..... not on here. Wink
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:31 am      Reply with quote
There's one thing that really bugs me about spelling and that is seeing American spelling on Australian signs (no offence intended).
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:40 am      Reply with quote
I should correct myself when I said slang, to me abbreviations such as LOL, ROFL etc... are not so much slang as they are computer speak. That is very different though than people who write "Gr8" "u" "r" instead of typing the full word. That combined with the fact that they often do not use capital letters at the beginning of sentences drives me batty. I haven't seen it so much on this forum but I have on others that I visit. I didn't mention it because I think that people on this forum are bad in grammar I brought it up because I think that it can be discussed. Smile
queenmary
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:32 am      Reply with quote
oh so sorry for bad grammar. just want to be more quick and easy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:43 am      Reply with quote
I think the whole SMS-speak thing passed me by completely - I always write the whole word out even when I'm sending an SMS Embarassed.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:42 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |