Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I used Epilady (the self-torturing device) on my mustache
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
Whoever created Epilady must have been rather sadistic. But I bought it, and found I could not live without it now. I used it to shave my legs, and then I can go a week without shaving, and now I am not as hairy as I used to be since some hair did not grow back. Oooohhh the first time I used this thing, my tears were escaping blurring my vision. I was undeterred and persevered.

Then I expanded the usage to underarms. OUCH!! Well, I got used to that, too, now.

So I am getting braver, and started to use it on my upper lips for those tiny nuisance mustaches. I tried to be very gentle, and not to touch my skin too hard. It worked like a charm.

Just wonder if I'm the only crazy one around here. Anyone else used this torturing device?
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
OMG!! I tried the Epilady a long time ago -- I didn't actually finish a whole leg -- that thing hurts!! Shock I returned it the next day.

Kudos to you for sticking with it; but it begs the question -- WHY?!! Laughing
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
OMG what we do to ourselves in the name of beauty Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
tam wrote:
OMG!! I tried the Epilady a long time ago -- I didn't actually finish a whole leg -- that thing hurts!! Shock I returned it the next day.

Because when I shaved my legs with a regular shaver, my hair grew back at the end of the day, and it itched like heck. So I tried PLUCKING my hair with tweezers. The Epilady does the same job as my tweezers, but much faster and more thoroughly. Now I don't feel any pain on my legs when I use it. Not on my underarms either. I love it because I used to sit in front of a mirror for an hour to tweeze out my underarm hair. Now it takes me only a minute with Epilady. It has become something of a necessity to me.
StellaMarie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
I bought it when everyone started talking about it. Did my legs -- OMG! I've heard several times that it gets better after the first time, but I just ran out of time this weekend Embarassed (or something) to give it a go. Here's hoping. Otherwise, I'm thinking seriously about getting laser hair removal done.
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
Cherisse wrote:
tam wrote:

So I tried PLUCKING my hair with tweezers.

You must have had a LOT of patience! Smile

I guess compared to plucking, the Epilady is a pretty good alternative. Smile Since you were already used to plucking, did it take you very long to get used to the Epilady?
aprilha
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
your not alone... i use my epilator on my legs, underarms, bikini line and my upper lip area...
(the one i bought was by Panasonic and it gave different epilator "heads" for different body parts... i don't think there's a difference just that its nice that i didn't have to use the same "head" for my armpit and my upper lips...) Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
I bought one years ago, I used it once, torture device is a fairly accurate description. I tried to give it to a friend when they were considering purchasing it for their daughter, needless to say they soon returned it. From some of the posts I read I thought that the design must have been improved because there were few complaints re the level of discomfort experienced whilst using it, from reading this thread it appears not, I could never use this device on any sensitive part of my body, for me waxing these parts would be a better alternative. For those using this device I take my hat off to you, you have far better pain tolerance than I do.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Cherisse,

Interestingly, just the other day I saw an "infomercial" on a device that I thought looked a lot like an Epilady ... only it was smaller and it was specifically for facial hair! Very Happy

I found myself wondering if one could just use one of those Epilady machines as well. Very Happy

Now I know that you can ... but I must say ... you have my utmost admiration! Laughing I heard that using the Epilady was torture ... so I never got one to try.

Kudos to you Cherisse! You are my hero! Laughing

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
I just bought a little one by Emjoi on drugstore.com because it had pages of great reviews....and it was only $15. I'll let you all know if it is somehow manageable in terms of pain. I would wax but I'm using retiniods and I'm afraid of the wax ripping off my skin and then getting an extra sexy rash mustache.
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
I have the Philips "Silk Epil" and love using it on my thighs. I can't feel a thing. But OMG it hurts like hell on my bikini area! Shock Ouch! Talk about torture. Hurts more than getting tatooed. I'll only do this occasionally as I prefer shaving and sparing myself the self abuse. LOL I once attempted to do my armpits but that was even worse as I couldn't get it to stop pinching my skin. I think I'll just stick to my thighs where the hair is fine and practically non existent.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
I LOVE THE EPILADY! From Braun. My mom purchased one 10 years ago and the thing broke after so many uses. Recently I found out that they have a new version and purchased it but it was sent to the wrong address. I had to purchase another one and we're still waiting on it! I'm so anxious to get it. It's the only thing that prevents ingrown hair and the hairs on my legs are much thinner so i dont have to use it much.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:15 pm      Reply with quote
I had one of these years ago, not sure what brand. Used it once and it ended up in the drawer for years, un-used. Threw it out when we moved. Maybe they have come a long way since then, might give it a try again.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
aprilha wrote:
your not alone... i use my epilator on my legs, underarms, bikini line and my upper lip area...
(the one i bought was by Panasonic and it gave different epilator "heads" for different body parts... i don't think there's a difference just that its nice that i didn't have to use the same "head" for my armpit and my upper lips...) Very Happy

That's nice that they provide different heads for different parts of the body. I think the other brands are more gentle. My friend bought a Braun one, and I tried it on my legs. It was much more gentle than Epilady. I'm glad I am not the only one using this self-torturing device. Smile
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
Emilee_ann_143 wrote:
I LOVE THE EPILADY! From Braun. My mom purchased one 10 years ago and the thing broke after so many uses. Recently I found out that they have a new version and purchased it but it was sent to the wrong address. I had to purchase another one and we're still waiting on it! I'm so anxious to get it. It's the only thing that prevents ingrown hair and the hairs on my legs are much thinner so i dont have to use it much.

My friend bought the Braun one. Yes, it is much more gentle than the Epilady brand. You got a great one.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
wildflower wrote:
I have the Philips "Silk Epil" and love using it on my thighs. I can't feel a thing. But OMG it hurts like hell on my bikini area! Shock Ouch! Talk about torture. Hurts more than getting tatooed. I'll only do this occasionally as I prefer shaving and sparing myself the self abuse. LOL I once attempted to do my armpits but that was even worse as I couldn't get it to stop pinching my skin. I think I'll just stick to my thighs where the hair is fine and practically non existent.

I used my Epilady in the bikini area before, and yes, it hurt till I cried, BUT when I tried waxing, the lady had to apply the wax on me 3 times, and still couldn't get all my hair out. But what she did was irritating my skin there and nearly pulled out my top skin layer. I went home with a rather raw, reddened and swollen skin in that area. Needless to say I never went back to this lady again.
kitty143
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
I have the silk Epil too. It works great. I don't even feel it at all on my legs, and after having used it for 3 years, the hairs are much thinner growing it. I do use it also under my arms - OUCH! had to really work up to that, but it is fine now. There is an attachment that makes it easier to adjust (makes the pain less)
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
kitty143 wrote:
I have the silk Epil too. It works great. I don't even feel it at all on my legs, and after having used it for 3 years, the hairs are much thinner growing it. I do use it also under my arms - OUCH! had to really work up to that, but it is fine now. There is an attachment that makes it easier to adjust (makes the pain less)

I'm completely desensitized in both of those areas. When I tried it under my arms with the first Epilady that had the wire looking circular head, I was not able to stand that for under my arms. The new and improved head is better, and it doesn't pinch my skin.
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
Cherisse wrote:
kitty143 wrote:

I'm completely desensitized in both of those areas. When I tried it under my arms with the first Epilady that had the wire looking circular head, I was not able to stand that for under my arms. The new and improved head is better, and it doesn't pinch my skin.

Hmm might have to try this new model when my Philips is done and dead. Mine has the individual tweezer type head (hard to describe) but it still pinches. I'd really love to get it all lasered off one day.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
wildflower wrote:
Cherisse wrote:
kitty143 wrote:

Hmm might have to try this new model when my Philips is done and dead. Mine has the individual tweezer type head (hard to describe) but it still pinches. I'd really love to get it all lasered off one day.

Me, too, but I heard it's expensive and painful, and then you have to go back a few times before your hair may or may stop growing back completely?
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
Too bad we can't just pluck the hair from the area we don't want and put it in the area we do want.

I'm finding this to be a laughable situation. I am plucking hair from my legs, underarms, etc, and then try my darnedest to grow my lashes!
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
Cherisse wrote:
Too bad we can't just pluck the hair from the area we don't want and put it in the area we do want.

I'm finding this to be a laughable situation. I am plucking hair from my legs, underarms, etc, and then try my darnedest to grow my lashes!

LOL Good luck with that. Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
wildflower wrote:
Cherisse wrote:

LOL Good luck with that. Wink

Thank you! I need that. I hope the revitalash works. I am doing everything I can to grow my lashes.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
I also have the Braun model with the different heads. The smaller head for use on the bikini area and the face is excellent - reduces the "ouch" factor significantly. When I do my legs with the head that "lifts up" the hair, there is no pain whatsoever.

I've been using a Braun epilator for a number of years now - hair regrowth is so sparse that I now only need to do it every month or so.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
I can't figure out which one is better Confused

http://www.braun.com/global/products/beautycare/ladyshavingepilation/epilation.html

I have to shave every day...sometimes twice a day Embarassed

Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |