Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I used Epilady (the self-torturing device) on my mustache
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
I did do it on the face now I'm getting those pores and bumps!! Doesn't really hurt.. Now I'm trying to find a solution to get rid of these bumps because I would want to continue epilating my face! Crying or Very sad My face looks fuller and clean after I epilate it.
leidon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
Lisey wrote:
Leidon! You ordered both mini ones? I would recommend a larger one for legs and bigger areas as the mini (emjoi) one uses batteries, so I would be worried about overusing it.

oh oh. I thought I ordered one mini & that the optima was for the legs?
lil_miss_skincare
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
I remember getting my Epilady when it first came out. They tried it on the top of your hand at the store to show you how it felt. All I can say is it felt a whole lot different on the top of my hand than it did on other regions! Painful you ask? Hmmm, it's a toss up for me...epilation, giving birth, epilation, giving birth.... Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
leidon wrote:
Lisey wrote:
Leidon! You ordered both mini ones? I would recommend a larger one for legs and bigger areas as the mini (emjoi) one uses batteries, so I would be worried about overusing it.

You got the emjoi optima? Oooh.. I would suggest you trying the small one first to see if you could handle the pain.. I got the bigger size first though, lol. It doesn't really hurt at all if you're used to waxing.. I'm just not used to waxing around the bikini area, so that part still hurts to me, but the arms, underarms, and legs, were a breeze to me. I got Braun Silk-epil x'elle, and would highly recommend it!!!

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=153490&catid=50621&trx=PLST-0-SEARCH&trxp1=50621&trxp2=153490&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SEARCH
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
lil_miss_skincare wrote:
I remember getting my Epilady when it first came out. They tried it on the top of your hand at the store to show you how it felt. All I can say is it felt a whole lot different on the top of my hand than it did on other regions! Painful you ask? Hmmm, it's a toss up for me...epilation, giving birth, epilation, giving birth.... Shock

The newer ones are suppose to hurt less now! Smile
lil_miss_skincare
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Lisa,

Hard to get past that first negative experience (Yowsah!) but maybe I'll brave it one of these days and try one of the new ones -- I'd love it if I could tolerate it!

From another Lisa Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
I have used these for about eight years now and they have improved SO MUCH!!! I can't live without mine ... I do my legs/thighs/bikini area and underarms as well. I'm so used to smooth skin and gentle regrowth now that if I have to use a razor the stubble actually hurts!

I haven't worked up the nerve to try it on my upper lip yet though ... I still use my tweezers for that!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
leidon wrote:
Lisey wrote:

the optima is a full size one, don't worry. it's supposed to be good also -- let us know how you like it!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:49 am      Reply with quote
I bought the Braun Silk Epil xelle. It's seriously taking me a few days just to do my lower leg. I do it a little on one leg, switch to the other. Stop. Come back to it in a few minutes...repeat. Stop for day. Come back next day, ditto.

OW!!!

It definitely hurts more than a tattoo!!! But I hear it gets better, sometimes even the second time around, pain -wise.

Is this true? Will it hurt less the more I use it?

I'm determined to make this work...I don't wanna shave anymore!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:02 am      Reply with quote
Well I'm used to waxing and tweezing so when I first got my Braun silk-epil x'elle it was almost like nothing for me.. It takes less than 5 minutes to finish entire my legs. I use it everywhere except my face. I think it probably will take time for you since you were used to shaving and not waxing? Just don't give up.. it'll eventually hurt no more.. Smile Anyways, my epilator!!
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:34 am      Reply with quote
Lisey wrote:
Well I'm used to waxing and tweezing so when I first got my Braun silk-epil x'elle it was almost like nothing for me.. It takes less than 5 minutes to finish entire my legs. I use it everywhere except my face. I think it probably will take time for you since you were used to shaving and not waxing? Just don't give up.. it'll eventually hurt no more.. Smile Anyways, my epilator!!

The only experience I've ever had waxing was one strip on on my right calf. I yelped so loud the cat puffed up and ran away.

Needless to say that was the end of my waxing experience so I'm using it on skin that's never had the pleasure of having your hairs ripped out. Embarassed

I just hope it gets better... Shock but man...this is a test of pain tolerance!!! I have a tattoo on a very painful area (inside of left wrist) and it was nearly as bad as this...and I thought the tattoo was bad. Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:
I hear it gets better, sometimes even the second time around, pain -wise.

It's true as long as you don't wait too long before your next round.

When I bought my first machine more than 15 years ago I'd never used wax or anything like that before. The first time it felt like I was flaring the skin off, but that was just the first time. From that on it's been more and more painless and now it's just tickling a little. So give it a few tries and I'm sure you'll be happy Smile
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
Cadia wrote:
ParisTroika wrote:

When I bought my first machine more than 15 years ago I'd never used wax or anything like that before. The first time it felt like I was flaring the skin off, but that was just the first time. From that on it's been more and more painless and now it's just tickling a little. So give it a few tries and I'm sure you'll be happy Smile

I agree with Cadia.. Don't wait too long! I waited a little long to epilate my bikini area, and boy did it hurt!! Ouch! Shock
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
Lisey wrote:
Cadia wrote:
ParisTroika wrote:

I agree with Cadia.. Don't wait too long! I waited a little long to epilate my bikini area, and boy did it hurt!! Ouch! Shock

how long is too long?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:
Lisey wrote:
Cadia wrote:
ParisTroika wrote:

how long is too long?

I think about a month or so!
I usually epilate 1-2 weeks or so. My hair grow pretty slow from epilating. Smile
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
Lisey wrote:
ParisTroika wrote:
Lisey wrote:
Cadia wrote:
ParisTroika wrote:

how long is too long?

I think about a month or so!
I usually epilate 1-2 weeks or so. My hair grow pretty slow from epilating. Smile

I think it'll take me that long to get through both legs Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing so I should be fine.

As soon as I finish I'll turn around and start again.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
I love mine. I just try to do it often enough so that I don't have to get ALL the regrown hairs bc that's too painful. I do my face once in a while. Mostly I use this for underarms. Sometimes legs and arms too. Yes, I hate body hair!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:
[I think it'll take me that long to get through both legs Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing so I should be fine.

As soon as I finish I'll turn around and start again.

Yes, just keep going Very Happy

Lisey's schedule sounds just perfect. In the beginning I think the clue is make sure your new hairs don't get time to get themselves too attached. After a while it's not painful even if you wait longer.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:47 am      Reply with quote
Another question Smile

I seem to be missing hairs with it and some seem to be breaking instead of ripping out from the root. Is this normal or is something wrong in my technique?

It took me three days to do both lower legs Laughing Laughing Laughing

I finally finished yesterday...I'll be working on my upper legs starting tonight. I can't believe how sensitive I am on my legs! The back, lower part of my calf and the front of my knees hurt the worst.

I KNOW the back of my upper legs and the inside of my thighs is going to be THE WORST. <cringe> Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:45 am      Reply with quote
Wow, finished already? Then it will only get better Smile

About the breaking hairs, I think it's quite normal that some
hair break rather than being pulled out in the beginning.

Are you really sure you want to do the inside of your thighs? It hurts me just thinking about it Shock
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:08 am      Reply with quote
I do. I have very dark hair that I sometimes have to shave twice, especially if I'm going put. The inside of my thighs is most prone to razor burn because that is often the area (that and the back of my upper legs (quads)) I have to go over twice in a day because the hair grows so fast. That's the region I most wanted to get with the epilator! Argh. It's going to kill I know...but if it takes me two weeks gosh darn it...I'm going to do it.

I nicer looking legs...maybe then I'll start wearing shorts more often as the temps are above 100 right now. Pants just get to you after awhile! Embarassed

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:48 am      Reply with quote
You're brave!
Even more since you've just suffered through the calf area. But I understand it a bit better now. You'll save a lot of time and the hairs will be reduced. So lots to gain Smile

Let's just hope it's not as bad as it sounds Pray Smile
Cadia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:00 am      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:
... as the temps are above 100 right now.

That's excellent. The warmer the better. I found that hairs are a lot easier to pull when it's warm.

(Reading my own post makes me feel like a madcap specialized in depilation Laughing )
Sel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
I find that some of the finer hairs tend to break off rather than being pulled out by the root. Epilating is not perfect by any means, but it's so much better than shaving so it's worth it.
I've been epilating for a few years and only recently braved doing my bikini line, it was a very tense and nervewracking experience Laughing You do get used to the 'pain' though and like others have said, after you've done your legs a few times, providing you don't let the hairs grow back too much then you'll begin to barely feel anything when you epilate them.
snowstar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:11 am      Reply with quote
Do you girls get silky smooth skin after epilating? Please help!

I have been epilating on a daily basis to combat the feel of the stubbles. My bf even asked me if i've been shaving..... Right after an epilating session, I can still feel the stubbles. What am i doing wrong?

IF I leave the leg to grow out for 1 month (frustrating month) and then epilate, my leg will feel smooth for about 2 to 3 days. It's silly to have hairy legs for 27 days and smooth legs for 3 days...

Fri May 03, 2024 4:14 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |