Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

The big problem with using Retin A
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
ok I try to use tazarac a lot because my dr said its good for you and the only proven wrinkle reducer. The only problem is when I want to go out or try to look good for a night I have to stop the retin a for around 5 days before because when I put a light primer/foundation even powder I get little"peelies" especially around the nose.It doesnt look good at all.Yet on the other hand if I dont peel does that mean I am not getting the full effect of the retin A?Its annoying to have skin peeling all the time,thats why I couldnt do obagi. Can I put it on so light I dont peel but would that mean its not working? Embarassed confused....
StellaMarie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
Can you get a lower dose? Maybe you can start with Differin? Or even an OTC retinoid like the Avene products or Green Cream?

I think retinoids aren't for everyone, and if you're like me (and, I think, many people), it takes a loooong time to get used to them. To some extent, I think peelies are part of the process until your skin adjusts, though it shouldn't continue to be a problem once your skin has adjusted. Start by using your product every second or third day. I don't think there's a lot of benefit to using Taz very sporadically.

Be sure you're only using a pea size amount. You can also avoid your nose and other more sensitive places.
Patty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:17 pm      Reply with quote
Did your doc tell you to use it everyday? I had the same problem with Obagi and I stopped using it because what's the point? I mean, if you're always going to be dry and peeling, I can't see the benefit. You want to look your best before you're 80.

I don't use my Retin A every night. I use it every 2 or 3 nights. I have other products that I use nightly that have glycolic acid and retinoids in them so I feel that I'm just giving everything a little boost by using the Retin A on the schedule I have it on.

I really do understand your dilemma though. But I want to look hydrated. LOL!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
You could back off on the use. Like every two days and in between exfolite your skin and moisturize your dry areas. HTHs!
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using tazorac for years, and it does get better. In the meantime, try short contact therapy -- leave it on for 10 minutes before washing it off -- you get the same results and less irritation. You do not have to flake for it to work.
I always wash with Dermalogica Microfoliant in the morning and really massage around the nose to make sure I get rid of all the flakies. hth!
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
I would suggest using a scrub to slough off the excess skin.
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:04 pm      Reply with quote
I don't use Retin-A but Retinol 1% from PSF. I only peeled a little bit in the beginning. I haven't peel at all for a year. Does that mean I am not getting the effect of Retinol? Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:27 am      Reply with quote
Hi Lucyluc - I've used Retin A, GC, Avene all to good effect and never had any peeling in my life with them. I think some people seem more susceptible to this, but there are lots of other versions to explore besides plain old Retin A.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:37 am      Reply with quote
Waffle I do do the 10 minute on method and then wash it off! I think I need to put less on which I dont put on much to begin with.I do use IS clinical superserum too I wonder if that with the combo of Taz makes you more susceptible to peelies. I do want to use Taz though because its supposed to help with wrinkles, I even use it under my eyes and that does seem to have helped with wrinkles(of course I use TNS there too)
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:30 am      Reply with quote
When I first starting using it, I had the same problem. It took about 6 weeks and then no more peelies. Another thing is if you apply to much, I get the peelies. You only need about a dot worth for your whole face. I use a wash cloth in the shower and it gets rid of any dry spots. I do apply a little more to a pimple breakout because it dries them up quickly. Then I get peelies, which is okay, because when the scab is gone, the pimple is gone.
oriana808
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
I appreciate the tips as well. Haven't been using my PSF .5% retinol and decided to try to use it 2 weeks ago. Used it one night and ISC Firming Complex the next night - got the flakies so bad. Then used a scrub the next night to get rid of the flakies and my face acutally hurt! Over the next few days I had a thin kind of dry crust on my face, wonderful for highlighting wrinkles Sad. I've been afraid to use it since. The cold dry weather isn't helping - I have to walk through a wind tunnel to get to transit, yesterday it was a gusting -28d.C wind. Getting the flakies bad even without retinol. Thought maybe it would be best to stop using retinol in the winter altogether, but I will try to reduce amount and wash it off and see what happens.

Thanks!
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
I have the same problem! I've been using PSF 0.5% Retinol once a week and I'm peeling badly and my skin feels even rougher than it normally does. I'm not sure if the rough skin is an allergic reaction or dry skin just feels rough that way. I think I'm supposed to use it every 2-3 days, but I just can't cope with peeling skin all the time. However, I use La Prairie Skin Caviar Luxe Cream (which has AHA in it, though in a very small percentage I believe) on those nights that I don't use Retinol.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
I know my doctor said to put it on really lightly, which is counterintuitive to me. I like slathering stuff on. When I peel from Tazorac, I don't use it the next night.Good luck!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
I would suggest that you cut back from nightly use. Every second night or even third will still give you results. On you night(s) off, try a really good hydrating mask.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with everything that's been said here. I use Taz and I used to have terrible problems with flakies, but the lovely ladies here at EDS got me straightened out! Very Happy First, definitely use just the tiniest amount possible--- one small dot for your whole face. Next make sure you are exfoliating adequately (I like EpidermxII), and then make sure you are moisturizing adequately (for extreme winter conditions I like Chrysalyx, topped with a healthy dose of Zenbiotic's Moisture Enrich). Keep us updated!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
tam wrote:
I would suggest that you cut back from nightly use. Every second night or even third will still give you results. On you night(s) off, try a really good hydrating mask.

which hydrating mask would you recommend?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
Currently, I am using Eminence Sour Cherry Masque and I really like it.

Other good hydrating masks are Fresh Rose Mask, Ice Elements Blueberry Mask, Mychelle Blueberry Mask. Those are off the top of my head; if I think of any more, I'll come back and add them. Smile

One that I haven't tried is Glymed Cell Science Hydrating Masque. It sounds really good; I'm trying hard to get my hands on a sample of it. Smile
Patty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
Lynn,

When I started out with Retin-A, nobody told me how to use it. This was 20 years ago and I was a lot younger. I eventually looked like somebody had dragged me face down behind a truck. I kept using it until I had to grab a cold wet washcloth to cool my face down. Dumb, dumb, dumb. After many years of using Retin-A, I now know that if my face is irritated to the point that I feel like I'm going to have to wash it off, I'm using it too often. Get through the peeling stage and you'll be fine. If it burns a lot, wash it off and cut back on usage. It's normal to have a tingle, not a burn. You'll eventually stop peeling and your skin will look better from continued use of the Retin-A. I promise.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
At least with PSF's retinol I don't get the bumpy red rash all over my face like I have with other retin products - which I've actually had to return. Just the peeling now - need to be brave and keep at it.
Patty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
Yep Oriana. Thatta girl!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
Did you start slowly with taz? I started off with 1x/week for a few weeks then 2x/week then 3x/week etc. Now I am on every other night without flakies. I had a terrible time with the peeling even on renova last year. I gave up rx retinoid for a while until I found a gentle cleanser I like.

Aquaphor has been my miracle product. I normally just use LRP toleriane cream but it wasn't enough for my dry skin. I apply a tiny bit of aquaphor over the cream and skin has been soft and flake free.

I gently exfoliate with a baby washcloth. Any use of physical scrub gives me dermatitis.

Hope you find the right balance of you.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
thats the problem, no pain no gain.I think you have to peel to get the benefit of more collagen/less wrinkles...if you never peel you are not benefiting from retinA.
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
lucyluc wrote:
thats the problem, no pain no gain.I think you have to peel to get the benefit of more collagen/less wrinkles...if you never peel you are not benefiting from retinA.

I disagree with you because I still think it stimulates collagen production (which prevent wrinkles from forming I believe) even without peeling. Without peeling, retinol products help regulate my oil production I believe. I can't believe I am so lucky to not peel. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
I use Tazorac and completely know what you are experiencing. I eased my skin into it by applying it 2x per week when I was first put on it (and it still took my skin a month to adjust and not be as irritated and peely). I now use it every other night (which allows my skin to breathe for the night I don't apply it... that's my logic Wink). When I use it every night I get wayyyyy too peely. You know that scene on the movie "The Breakfast Club" where Ally Sheedy's character scratches her scalp to create snow for her picture (...dandruff)? Well, that's what I could do with my face sometimes. Laughing (I mean, I don't "make snow" for pictures or anything Laughing but I could if I wanted to... which I don't Laughing)

Anyway, like many have said, make sure you use a minimal amount and cut down to every other night if necessary.

I've heard some of the forum members say they do "contact therapy" (leaving it on for 10 min and then washing it off). For those of you that do... did your doc recommend it? Does it really work? I would intuitively think that leaving it on over night would be the best. But if the contact therapy works I would be the first to do it. B/c even though I use Taz the "right way" (minimal, pea size amount) and even use it every other night, I still get some peelies.

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
lucyluc wrote:

I have to disagree as well. If your skin is not peeling, it doesn't mean that the retinoid is not doing anything.

Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:21 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |