Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Bioelements Calmitude Hydrating Solution (118 ml / 4 floz) Osea Ocean Lotion (180 ml / 6 floz) BDB The Jet Setter (3 items)
DIY Liquid Foundation
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:39 am      Reply with quote
I'm thinking about trying to make my own liquid foundation. Has anyone else attempted to do this? Or maybe I could figure out how to add pigment to pre-made foundations in order to get a better match? I tried a few Alima samples and the color (c-0 mixed with n-1) was so incredibly beautiful that I don't want to settle for 'close enough' any more.
So far I have found this website:
http://www.diycosmetics.com/instructions/liquidfoundationsandsunscreens.html

I'll keep exploring to see if this is something I could realistically do Cool

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:41 am      Reply with quote
Sundew, have you tried mineral foundation mixed with a skin cream?

Kristen

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:15 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
Sundew, have you tried mineral foundation mixed with a skin cream?

Kristen

Hi Kristen, I haven't tried that. I should though...it's just a matter of finding a skin cream. I haven't been using a moisturizer but it has finally got cold and my skin is starting to get a little dry. I was up all night trying to figure out what moisturizer to buy Smile.
Do you thinking mixing the MMU with a skin cream would provide enough coverage? One of my problems with Alima is that it is too sheer. I would like medium to full coverage to help cover up scars, melasma, and general redness/unevenness.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:18 am      Reply with quote
Hi Sundew,

I am not sure about coverage, i guess it would depend on how thick the cream was and how much mineral makeup you're mixing into it.

What moisturizer are you deciding between? I can try to help.

I actually don't use foundation in a long time so I am no good at gauging the coverage. But i would think that if you wanted to cover up scars or melasma, you might need a some sort of concealer first.

any one else with any other thoughts?

Kristen Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
Evans Garden has a skin cream that is meant to be used to mix with mineral makeup. I haven't tried it with my own creams because I like the powder form, but it would probably work well. Smile
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:04 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
Hi Sundew,

I am not sure about coverage, i guess it would depend on how thick the cream was and how much mineral makeup you're mixing into it.

What moisturizer are you deciding between? I can try to help.

I actually don't use foundation in a long time so I am no good at gauging the coverage. But i would think that if you wanted to cover up scars or melasma, you might need a some sort of concealer first.

any one else with any other thoughts?

Kristen Smile

Thanks Kristen!
So far I'm considering:
RoC Calmance Intolerance Repairing Cream, Avene Anti-Redness Light Moisturizing Cream (Normal to Combination Skin), or CareKate's Pearl Cream...My t-zone is still slightly oily even with the weather change but I have major eyebrow dandruff (never happened before in my life!) and dry patches on my cheeks and chin.

Tonight I tried mixing straight titanium dioxide with a little of my Revlon Colorstay...I can barely describe what happened...but they definitely didn't mix Laughing! I mixed a little of the foundation and titanium dioxide powder together in my hand and then placed some on the back of my hand and noticed that there were two distinct layers: a white one and then the foundation. I'm sure there is some scientific explanation for this but I'll except my failure and not try that again lol.

tam wrote:
Evans Garden has a skin cream that is meant to be used to mix with mineral makeup. I haven't tried it with my own creams because I like the powder form, but it would probably work well. Smile

I appreciate the help Tam Smile. I checked their website out and the ingredients of that base look pretty good but I'm afraid mixing that with MMU will proved too little coverage.

I have a sample of Lumiere's liquid mineral foundation on the way..maybe it will work out..

I'm not asking for miracle coverage or anything. Revlon Colorstay provides enough coverage but the lightest color doesn't quite match and it feels a little mask like. I know I'm being entirely way too picky but I had a HG and compare everything to it, nothing has even began to come close.

There is this little boutique here in Atlanta that custom makes foundation but from what I recall it costs about $60 Shock. I could handle 30-40 for something good but 60 is seriously pushing it lol

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:00 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Thanks Kristen!
So far I'm considering:
RoC Calmance Intolerance Repairing Cream, Avene Anti-Redness Light Moisturizing Cream (Normal to Combination Skin), or CareKate's Pearl Cream...My t-zone is still slightly oily even with the weather change but I have major eyebrow dandruff (never happened before in my life!) and dry patches on my cheeks and chin.

Tonight I tried mixing straight titanium dioxide with a little of my Revlon Colorstay...I can barely describe what happened...but they definitely didn't mix ! I mixed a little of the foundation and titanium dioxide powder together in my hand and then placed some on the back of my hand and noticed that there were two distinct layers: a white one and then the foundation. I'm sure there is some scientific explanation for this but I'll except my failure and not try that again lol.

Hi Sundew,

I haven't tried the moisturizers you have listed, except carekate's pearl creme, which I am quite sure will not mix with MMU. carekate's pearl creme is very dense and can be lumpy. i can't imagine it mixing well with another dry ingredient. it would make an excellent base for your makeup though, and will lighten any scars, and help with acne and melasma since pearl creme does that Smile.

I actually received an order of vegetarian base cream from Garden of Wisdom just yesterday. It has a nice thick texture to it and I think it would be excellent if you wanted to add MMU foundation to it. I scooped a tablespoon of the base cream and added some pearl powder and jojoba oil and a few drops of sweet orange EO myself, but I can actually test MMU foundation in it tommorrow and report back to you about how it goes if you're interested.

The vegetarian base cream has awesome ingredients too (i googled each one) and cheap to boot! About $7 for 2 ounces. I am not used to paying such a low price for good skin stuff! and Markey the owner is so nice and helpful.

I agree $60 for foundation is much too much!

regarding the other moisturizers, you can look up product reviews over on makeupalley.com if you haven't already.

HTH, Kristen

Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:36 am      Reply with quote
Hi Sundew,

I have mixed MMU with Monave's Rose Moisturizer and it works well but the coverage is light, like a tinted moisturizer. You can always go over it with a light dusting of dry MMU and that will probably give you the coverage you are looking for.

They sell samples sizes and the full size is on sale right now.
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
LOL Now I'm really confused. Pandamom: I'm going to look up that Rose Moisturizer. Also, that is a great idea about mixing the MMU and then also dusting more on top. Thanks Smile.

Skincareaddicted: The vegetarian cream sounds great! I have been eye a few things on Garden of Wisdom anywho Smile
How have you liked it so far? Is it replacing your pearl cream or are you using it on top?

Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Sundew,

You are welcome. I only suggested the Rose Moisturizer because I have been using it as mix myself during the winter months.

Monave had introduced a Moisture Mousse foundation and the Rose Moisturizer is suppose to be the base of that foundation. I would rather mix it myself for the price of $10.00 instead of $32 for the Moisture Mousse foundation itself. Smile
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:29 am      Reply with quote
Sundew wrote:
LOL Now I'm really confused. Pandamom: I'm going to look up that Rose Moisturizer. Also, that is a great idea about mixing the MMU and then also dusting more on top. Thanks Smile.

Skincareaddicted: The vegetarian cream sounds great! I have been eye a few things on Garden of Wisdom anywho Smile
How have you liked it so far? Is it replacing your pearl cream or are you using it on top?

Hi Sundew,

I have been absolutely loving the vegetarian base cream with pearl powder and carrier oil. I have been loving the results. I actually stopped using carekate's pearl creme for now since I am always in a rush and always need time when applying it since it is lumpier and i need an extra moisturizer on top. I think when i run out of carekate's, i am just going to keep adding pearl powder to the vegetarian base cream, my skin seems to like this better.

I have been absolutely addicted to GoW products lately and their board, lol. Markey's prices are right on target and she answers all my questions and then some! So far, i have tried the cleansing oil (love it, i posted a review somewhere here), her HA moisturizing serum, and the daisy brightening serum, her cranberry toner, her blueberry oner, and have had fabulous results with them all. my next buy will be her mandelic acid serum and her majik C serum when i run out of my current one. i also get my pearl powder and oils from her.

i also took a look at evan's garden which tam posted and they seem to have a nice base cream, but it cost much more than markey's vegetarian base cream but is still a deal IMO: http://www.evansgarden.com/foundation-cream-normal-dry-skin.php however, you can order a sample to see how it goes.

I am gonna try the minerals in the vegetarian base cream now and will let you know how that goes.

Kristen Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
ok, i tried mixing the mineral foundation with the vegetarian base cream and i didn't like the result. i felt cakey even though it looked ok. i washed it off right away and just used the vegetarian base cream by itself and wow, my skin is so matte and nice.

sundew, i think you should try evan's garden moisturizer instead as a base if you still want to mix, it might be an easier base to work with.

HTH, Kristen

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:30 am      Reply with quote
Hi Sundew,

Well, I don't know about CareKate's version of my pearl paste ... but I have mixed my MMU with my own Pearl Paste with great success.

Kristen described CareKate's version as being "very dense and can be lumpy" ... which it shouldn't be.

You can always add a drop or two of distilled water or hydrosol or oil and mix by hand ... and break up the lumps.

I've actually got a "new and improved" version I call "Whipped Silken Pearl Paste" ... which has the same concentration of pearl powder but has an easier-to-use consistency. It's more user friendly as it were.

At any rate, while I'd say that the combination of MMU and my Pearl Paste makes more of a "cream foundation" as opposed to a "liquid foundation" I find it works very well, applies easily and depending upon the amount of MMU added to the mixture, good coverage.

HTH

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mary,

No insult to Carrie intended, but it could be due to the weather here, it is very cold for Southern California at the moment Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kristin,

I didn't intend any insult to Carrie at all ... sometimes, depending upon the container perhaps, the pearl paste just seems to "dry" in an odd way. I had it happen to a batch or two that I made. Confused [Okay ... so it was more than one or two batches! Laughing ] That's why I suggested a drop of distilled water or hydrosol. Sometimes that, along with breaking up the lumps, is all it takes. Smile

It's almost like there's a fine line between "just enough" liquid ... and too much. It could be due to the weather conditions when it's made ... or just "the batch". I don't know.

When mixing too, there's a point where it hasn't mixed everything quite enough ... and "just right". I haven't always managed to get that one right all the time either.

That's one of the reasons I have been working on ways to improve the texture of my Pearl Paste ... and making it more user friendly as it were. So far, my latest methods have been more consistent than they used to be. Very Happy

Be all that as it may, Pearl Paste isn't supposed to be lumpy ... that's not what I set out to do. It was just one of the casualties of the method.

Mary

ps ... It's also very cold in S.W. Ontario Canada right now ... and we are supposed to get a whole bunch of snow tomorrow Crying or Very sad I don't like the cold weather! Crying or Very sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:29 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
ok, i tried mixing the mineral foundation with the vegetarian base cream and i didn't like the result. i felt cakey even though it looked ok. i washed it off right away and just used the vegetarian base cream by itself and wow, my skin is so matte and nice.

sundew, i think you should try evan's garden moisturizer instead as a base if you still want to mix, it might be an easier base to work with.

HTH, Kristen

Very Happy Thanks for experimenting for me!
But I think you might be right with the 'cakey' feeling. After going back to Revlon ColorStay for a few days I decided that less coverage, better ingredients and better color match from MMU just might be worth it in the long run. I'm realizing that liquid foundation, compared to MMU, makes my skin feel like it is suffocating and the ColorStay is a major pain to wash off.
I have been using the Alima MMU the last few days with silk powder on top. Thankfully, I'm getting a little better at achieving the effect I want from it. I think I'm hooked on the clean breathable skin feeling...it's almost liberating (even if my scars are not completely concealed)! I might as well burn my bra! LOL (not really)
I still want to order the vegetarian base because I have some pearl powder laying around too.
Sorry to keep picking your brain Skincareaddicted but how much pearl powder do you add to the veggie base?

Mary: I think from what I remember, didn't you say you don't have to worry about grinding the TBK pearl powder if you are adding it to a something like a cream?

Thanks again ladies!...Sorry for dragging this all out only for me to decide I like regular MMU just fine.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:43 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mary,

I apologize if I sounded brash or anything, I didn't mean it that way Smile. Actually, it might be the container! It is harder to close all the way and my mom sometimes doesn't. I do remember it being more easy to apply when i first got it, but it doesn't have the spreadability of a quick moisturizer.

Do keep us updated on your formulas too, it sounds fantastic, i wish i had more time to play around with the pearl powder.

Hi Sundew,

I used a recipe someone posted at GoW (sorry i can't remember who Embarassed ) which is:

1 tablespoon base cream (i use the vegetarian)
1 teaspoon distilled water
1/2 teaspoon pearl powder

Remember to dissolve the pearl powder in the water first before adding to the cream.

I remember adding mineral MMU to a lotion moisturizer a couple years ago and loving that result, but i don't think coverage would be enough if that's what you want. it was more like a tinted moisturizer/sunscreen.

I am glad you feel more liberated Laughing, with the MMU! If you have problems getting any makeup off, i highly recommend the Garden of Wisdom cleansing oil, it is like a magic everything remover. Apparently, Markey is closing GoW down from 2/13 to 2/16 so she can take time fill orders, she has been swamped with requests! I am gonna be patient, I plan on placing 5 orders for friends and family for her daisy brightening serum, her cleansing oil, and her mandelic serum. Also next on my list of wants, is the azulene base cream, i hear it smells delicious.

Also, Mary has said that the pearl powder dissolves in water so no grinding is necessary.

Don't apologize, I love talking skin stuff!

Kristen Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:10 am      Reply with quote
oops, it's 1/2 teaspoon distilled water for the above recipe. no wonder mine is a little watery!

Laughing

p.s. i just found out the recipe i posted is from Markey at GoW. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:03 am      Reply with quote
Hi Sundew,

Quote:
Mary: I think from what I remember, didn't you say you don't have to worry about grinding the TBK pearl powder if you are adding it to a something like a cream?

Actually it's kind of the other way 'round.

The pearl powder from TKB Trading is just fine 'as is' for adding to creams [provided you've dissolved it first in water ... it is water soluble.]

It's when I'm using the pearl powder in my primer that I have to grind it finer. You might not have that same problem with GoW's pearl powder ... but the one from TKB is a little coarser than you'd want for a face powder.

Hi Kristen,

If left to the air, pearl powder will begin to dry out very quickly ... and it doesn't do so in a uniform manner!

Whenever I've had that happen, I've taken either distilled water or hydrosol ... or even rose hip seed oil ... and drop by drop I've added it and mixed it well by hand. You might have to press on any lumps to break them ... which can be done as you're adding the liquid.

Get the consistency to just a smidge runnier than you actually want it ... then close the lid and let it sit for a bit. You'll find that the pearl powder will actually absorb the liquid [even the oil] and when you go to use it next, it will be at a "just right" consistency.

The thing with pearl powder is it seems to be constantly absorbing given the chance. I found this to be more of a problem when it's cold out and the house heat is on making the indoor atmosphere very dry. I don't know if with the cold weather in S. California you've actually got house heat on ... but that could be a contributing factor.

Good luck

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:06 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mary,

Thanks for taking the time out to explain to me. You are so dedicated to taking your time out for the pearl powder and thank you for doing that and introducing us all to it. Smile

Sundew, the pearl powder from Garden of Wisdom is very finely ground. there would be no need to regrind it if you want to use it in making dusting powder.

Kristen

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing With all the ideas I'm getting from you lot I'll be opening up me own cosmetic shop one day!
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:20 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
Hi Mary,

I apologize if I sounded brash or anything, I didn't mean it that way Smile. Actually, it might be the container! It is harder to close all the way and my mom sometimes doesn't. I do remember it being more easy to apply when i first got it, but it doesn't have the spreadability of a quick moisturizer.

Do keep us updated on your formulas too, it sounds fantastic, i wish i had more time to play around with the pearl powder.

Hi Sundew,

I used a recipe someone posted at GoW (sorry i can't remember who Embarassed ) which is:

1 tablespoon base cream (i use the vegetarian)
1 teaspoon distilled water
1/2 teaspoon pearl powder

Remember to dissolve the pearl powder in the water first before adding to the cream.

I remember adding mineral MMU to a lotion moisturizer a couple years ago and loving that result, but i don't think coverage would be enough if that's what you want. it was more like a tinted moisturizer/sunscreen.

I am glad you feel more liberated Laughing, with the MMU! If you have problems getting any makeup off, i highly recommend the Garden of Wisdom cleansing oil, it is like a magic everything remover. Apparently, Markey is closing GoW down from 2/13 to 2/16 so she can take time fill orders, she has been swamped with requests! I am gonna be patient, I plan on placing 5 orders for friends and family for her daisy brightening serum, her cleansing oil, and her mandelic serum. Also next on my list of wants, is the azulene base cream, i hear it smells delicious.

Also, Mary has said that the pearl powder dissolves in water so no grinding is necessary.

Don't apologize, I love talking skin stuff!

Kristen Smile

Kristen, how much pearl powder do you think I should add to 2oz base cream? Ive got some azulene cream in shopping cart and wandering whether to add some pearl powder too Smile Ive alrady got some Edelweiss in my cart too, Im wandering if im going to water down the moisturiser too much though.

Is the Azulene thick like the veggie base too? I think ive asked you this before Embarassed but i didnt end up putting the order through...too many bills Crying or Very sad

Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:46 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Viz-1000 Intensive Hydrating Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) Bioelements Calmitude Hydrating Solution (118 ml / 4 floz) Osea Ocean Lotion (180 ml / 6 floz)