Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Looking for an oil free cold cream recipe...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
~*Beru*~
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
Suave used to have one called Suave water rinsable cold cream. But like most perfect cosmetic products it's been discontinued./sigh

So, I'm going to see if I can make something resembling it. If anyone has a recipe for an oil free cold cream that I can also use on my eyes please let me know.

I have found some recipes but they all call for jojoba or almond oil. Anywho, any tips would be much appreciated.
nyonyakay
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:48 am      Reply with quote
Beru, I am puzzled. By definition, a "cream", implies that the product is an emulsion, which is very simply the combination of an aqueous solution and oil, combined by an emulsifier. How could they have labelled the product a "cream" and still claimed that it was "oil-free"?

What were the specific ingredients of that "oil-free" cream to support the "oil-free" claim?

And in relation to your skin, are you absolutely intolerant of or allergic to any kind of oil at all?
~*Beru*~
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:12 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply! :)Well, I think I'm assuming it was oil free as I didn't read the word "oil" on the ingredients. The consistency wasn't thick like ponds it was more whipped...it reminded me of Alpha Hydrox's 12% souffle, maybe a wee bit thicker.

As for being allergic, I'm not but I have a problem with blackheads and oily skin. Thus, I'm very paranoid about putting oil based(even non clogging)products on my face.

I guess I'm looking for an "emulsion" that is oil free, if one even exist. OR an emulsion that rinses clean with water with out leaving a film.

I did find this ingredient Propylene Glycol in a few "oil free" type facial creams which is an emulsion, but I'm still reading up on it.
nyonyakay
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:42 am      Reply with quote
It's not clear to me whether you are seeking a leave-on moisturiser, or a creamy facial cleanser.

If comedogenicity is a concern for you, there is a website called zerozits dot com, or you can do a google search on "acne detective" to get there. They have a list of typical skincare ingredients with comedogenicity and irritancy ratings.

PLEASE NOTE I do not use any of the products plugged on this website. I am proud to say I make all of my own skincare.

In the main, I tend to agree with the "acne detective" listing and categorisation of raw materials, except for the "botanicals" identified as algae extract, red algae and carageenan. Having tried these personally, I don't believe they are comedogenic at all.
~*Beru*~
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:14 am      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for the link. I'm looking to make a cream type cleanser for removing face makeup and eye makeup.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:02 am      Reply with quote
Hi Beru,

The ability to be "rinseable" has nothing to do with any oils that might be in the cream ... but rather the emulsifiers that are in it.

If you have an oil mixed with an emulsifier [say, lecithin] ... then the oil has the ability to rinse off because the emulsifier mixes oil and water.

So ... you could use any oil ... which is the very best thing to clean off makeup ... and put an emulsifier in it ... and providing you have enough emulsifier in there, it should rinse away cleanly, and it shouldn't leave any "film".

HTH

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:56 am      Reply with quote
What Mary said.

You can try Polysorbate 80, which is a very inexpensive emulsifier. I have made a massage oil for my mother which is 15% Polysorbate 80 and 85% miscellaneous oils - washes off with water and leaves her skin soft and smooth.

Jojoba oil and squalane are the least comedogenic emollients that I know of. For a DIY makeup remover, you can try mixing the oil(s) of your choice with Polysorbate 80, tweaking the PS80 from between 10% to 20% until you achieve the level of wash-off that you desire.
~*Beru*~
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:25 am      Reply with quote
Thanks so much guys! I'll definitely look into Polysorbate!
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:37 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.spaindex.com/HomeSpa/HoneyColdCream.htm

this is a great link for lots of DIY products!
sweet28
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:51 pm      Reply with quote
Chrissie wrote:
http://www.spaindex.com/HomeSpa/HoneyColdCream.htm

this is a great link for lots of DIY products!

Thanks for posting this. I'm going to have to try this recipe. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:49 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |