Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
pilates
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:31 pm      Reply with quote
who here takes pilates classes or do the pilates videos?

I've taken pilates classes over a year ago and loved the way i felt afterwords, however most classes are only once a week for like an hour which i think is not enough to see results. I'm thinking of buying the dvds but dont know how difficult they are to do at home
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:43 pm      Reply with quote
Try looking for classes at a yoga studio. I am sure that you can find a place that offers classes more than once a week.

I have a couple of dvds, but I much prefer to actually go to class. The actual exercise isn't any harder at home, but I find that it is harder to make myself do a dvd at home rather than go to class.

liz

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:23 am      Reply with quote
After attending a class regularly for a while, and very much enjoying it, I decided I wanted to stretch myself more, so I bought the Winsor Pilates DVDs.

Now I following these DVDs each weekday (alternating the Accelerated Workout with the Abs plus Buns & Thigh Workout). I really enjoy it and it's made a big difference in my level of tone, fitness, strength and flexibility. If you have the self-discipline, then home videos/DVDs are a great idea.
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:47 am      Reply with quote
I teach dance and fitness classes, and pilates is one of the best ways to tone your body and stay in shape. For safety reasons and to ensure efficiency, I think it's important to start any new fitness program (pilates, yoga, etc.) with a qualified instructor so that the instructor can correct anything that you are doing wrong. Posture and alignment are critical in many fitness programs and it's possible to hurt yourself or do more harm than good if you are performing a move incorrectly.

Once you have a strong sense of the basics and what to watch out for, DVDs are great to incorporate into your routine, especially if you aren't able to get to a class. Some of my favorite pilates DVDs with short effective workouts include:

Pilates 10 Minute Solution, 2004 (This has 5 really awesome 10 minute workouts [basic abs, cardio, flexibility, arms & shoulders, buns & thighs]. I swear you WILL see results by doing just one 10 minute workout every day, or even one every other day.)

Pilates Beginning Mat Workout, 2002

Crunch Pick Your Spot Pilates, 2002

Netflix has a large number of fitness DVDs for rent. I highly recommend Netflix. Check your local libraries, many have fitness DVDs for loan.

Good luck and have fun!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:58 am      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
After attending a class regularly for a while, and very much enjoying it, I decided I wanted to stretch myself more, so I bought the Winsor Pilates DVDs.

Now I following these DVDs each weekday (alternating the Accelerated Workout with the Abs plus Buns & Thigh Workout). I really enjoy it and it's made a big difference in my level of tone, fitness, strength and flexibility. If you have the self-discipline, then home videos/DVDs are a great idea.

I received my winsor pilates a couple of days ago-I'm still at the 'staring at dvd covers stage' Embarassed Since each dvd is 20 min, do you just do 1 each day-alternating? My first impulse was to do 3 every other day, but I know it'll be too long & besides I'd probably hurt myself....I usually overdo & then can't move for days or creak when I walk Rolling Eyes
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:03 am      Reply with quote
I think most people here who know me have kind of figured out that I'm a VERY high energy person. I'm a workout fiend! I have always found that it's the very best way to deal with stress. I swim every single morning unless near death, and I work out at least every other day. More commonly, I work out every day, concentrating on upper body, lower body, or aerobics on different days. With allll of that said, no matter what else I'm doing, I do Pilates.

Like alot of physically active women, about 8 years ago, I developed a lower back problem. It was annoying, but I lived with it. One day, I was outside putting stuff in my car on my way to work. My dog barked and I turned around to look at him and felt this little tiny twinge on one side of my lower back. Shrugging. Bid deal, right? Ha ha - I drove to work and couldn't get out of my car!!!! Oh man, the next couple of weeks were THE WORST. I had to go for physical therapy every day and was only happy standing up...

Once I was able to move again, my pt introduced me to Pilates and I've been doing it ever since. I was in excellent physical condition when I started doing Pilates, yet the improvement in my overall physique, in the way I moved (even with years of ballet training) - everything really - was quickly noticeable. I've been doing Pilates ever since and have never had so much as a backache again!

My bf is an avid runner and used to have regular and awful back problems. He resisted my early attempts to get him to do Pilates (he said it was too "gay" - Rolling Eyes ). He finally relented after a bad back episode kept him from running for 2 weeks. He begrudgingly admits that it works. (It would work better if he wasn't a stubborn ass and did it more often Rolling Eyes ).

I can't praise this system enough. However, if it is at all possible, I'd encourage you to learn Pilates with a certified Pilates instructor for the maximum benefit. The movements are subtle and it's easy to do it wrong. You won't hurt yourself or anything - you just won't get the maximum benefit. Even after having done Pilates for years, I still take the occasional class to check my form, etc. Try it though - even if you're generally a couch potato type, I'm betting you'll stick with this.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:10 am      Reply with quote
I bought the whole shabang from Windsor Pilates, think I've used it twice Laughing . My gym does offer free pilates classes and I probably should attend but attend the spinning classes instead. From the very few times I've tried it I do like it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:52 am      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
majorb wrote:

I received my winsor pilates a couple of days ago-I'm still at the 'staring at dvd covers stage' Embarassed Since each dvd is 20 min, do you just do 1 each day-alternating? My first impulse was to do 3 every other day, but I know it'll be too long & besides I'd probably hurt myself....I usually overdo & then can't move for days or creak when I walk Rolling Eyes

Marina - I do the Accelerated Workout, lasting around 45 mins, on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, then both the Abs Workout and Buns & Thighs Workout (one after the other, lasting a total of around 40 minutes) on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Hope that helps.
StellaMarie
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Jeannine wrote:
I teach dance and fitness classes, and pilates is one of the best ways to tone your body and stay in shape. For safety reasons and to ensure efficiency, I think it's important to start any new fitness program (pilates, yoga, etc.) with a qualified instructor so that the instructor can correct anything that you are doing wrong. Posture and alignment are critical in many fitness programs and it's possible to hurt yourself or do more harm than good if you are performing a move incorrectly.

Once you have a strong sense of the basics and what to watch out for, DVDs are great to incorporate into your routine, especially if you aren't able to get to a class. Some of my favorite pilates DVDs with short effective workouts include:

Pilates 10 Minute Solution, 2004 (This has 5 really awesome 10 minute workouts [basic abs, cardio, flexibility, arms & shoulders, buns & thighs]. I swear you WILL see results by doing just one 10 minute workout every day, or even one every other day.)

Pilates Beginning Mat Workout, 2002

Crunch Pick Your Spot Pilates, 2002

Netflix has a large number of fitness DVDs for rent. I highly recommend Netflix. Check your local libraries, many have fitness DVDs for loan.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks so much for the recommendations. I really enjoy Pilates (unlike, to be honest, most other forms of exercise, which I have to make myself do). I'd like to keep up the private sessions, but I'd love to add something in (on my schedule) to do a few times a week. I'm off to check these out!
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:11 am      Reply with quote
I love Pilates I do tapes 2 times per week at a gym with a friend and also several times at home. I have found nothing so wonderful for shaping the waist.

I have some Winsor tapes and Gaiam AM/PM series (this is a great starting one). The AM is with Jillian Hessel and I like her workouts (she now has her own Web site).

Also katee look up Rydeard on WEB (studies of Pilates improving lower back pain).

Pilates has the relaxation aspects of Yoga but also flexibility and toning (and for me with new routines some aerobic). I'm a total addict. It does not cause weight loss but it keeps my waist slim.
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Marina. Based on what you said below, I recommend doing one 20-minute routine every other day. If you are a beginner, I definitely do not recommend doing 3 in one day (unless you are a masochist). One of the great things about pilates is that it is highly effective when done properly--you do not need to put in a lot of time or a huge number of repetitions. It's the quality, not the quantity, of the workout that counts. Good luck!

marina wrote:

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Marina. Based on what you said below, I recommend doing one 20-minute routine every other day. If you are a beginner, I definitely do not recommend doing 3 in one day (unless you are a masochist). One of the great things about pilates is that it is highly effective when done properly--you do not need to put in a lot of time or a huge number of repetitions. It's the quality, not the quantity, of the workout that counts. Good luck!

marina wrote:

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
I love pilates! My sister is an instructor in a different state. I have quite a few DVD's. Check out Collage Video. You can watch a 30 second clip and read other's reviews. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
I second the comments above about how effective this is for shaping with a modest time investment. I started with a 20min tape (now I do a 20 sometimes and 30-40 other times) 4-5 times per week. After 8 weeks I had not lost any weight but my waist was down 2"!! I was in an Ann Taylor store and they did not have a cute skirt I wanted in my initial size 10 so the store lady handed me the 6 and 8 I was blown away because they both fit. I've been in love with Pilates for three years. I've had all sorts of health problems but these routines are doable and make you feel and look great.

If you find tapes you like and stick with it you will not be sorry.
fidget-jones
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:45 am      Reply with quote
I bought an AeroPilates machine (reformer) from QVC last year, haven't used it for a while as I've been poorly but hoping to start up again, it's been really enjoyable.

Anyone else got one of these machines?

FJ x
Oakview
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:28 am      Reply with quote
I have a machine similar to what is sold on QVC. I worked with a pilates instructor for several sessions before attempting to use it myself since form is so important. I really like it but with my other workouts, I only use it about once a week.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:58 am      Reply with quote
Another pilates fan here. Love the posture it gives me, and the all - over toning. I dont ever find it dull to do, as I do other forms of excercise.
kitty143
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
I use Pilates on the ball workout. It has really given me strong abs. I got it in the book and then bought the exercise ball separately.
samantha185
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:14 am      Reply with quote
Hi, can i ask if Pilates help in losing fats? Especially around the tummy, butt, thighs area? *hopeful*

I recently bought a starter kit by OM Yoga but it seems yoga is more for flexibility and toning so I'm looking around for another complementary exercise routine Smile Thanks!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:54 am      Reply with quote
samantha185 wrote:
Hi, can i ask if Pilates help in losing fats? Especially around the tummy, butt, thighs area? *hopeful*

I recently bought a starter kit by OM Yoga but it seems yoga is more for flexibility and toning so I'm looking around for another complementary exercise routine Smile Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don't think you can target weight loss. However, some areas are more stubborn than others when it comes to shedding fat. If you have more than a few pounds you want to loose, it is probably best to incorporate some weight/strength training.
"Strength training increases energy expenditure during a training session. The high intensity or anaerobic nature of strength training indicates a high utilization of carbohydrates during a training session. During the post-exercise recovery period, energy expenditure is elevated for a period ranging from two to fifteen hours (7). The increased energy demands are obtained by burning more calories, and a good portion of the calories are coming from fat stores.
The addition of muscle mass on an individual will cause an increase in the number of calories that are burned/utilized at rest. So it is comforting to know while one is exerting themselves through a high intensity workout, that the hard work will result in a faster metabolism that continues to burn calories even after the workout."

http://diet.ivillage.com/tone/0,,mj30,00.html
http://www.naturalstrength.com/research/detail.asp?ArticleID=203

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:01 am      Reply with quote
Although some Pilates routines give you an aerobic workout I do not believe any exercise helps lose fat besides speeding metabolism for a while (cutting calories has a much bigger impact).

What Pilates does is strengthen your abs muscles so your waist trims and stomach flattens. When I first started I lost 1.5" off my waist in 8 weeks doing the tape 4X per week (weight constant). You look trimmer and more flexible what could be better!
snowstar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:12 am      Reply with quote
i think both exercises are great. i tried the 10 weeks beginner's course for both pilates and yoga. Ended up with ashtanga yoga in the end, found it less boring. Or perhaps i liked the teacher better?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
i just started taking pilates classes which is once a week for an hour ( i too find that it is not enough to see dramatic results)
Omg after the first pilates class, my abs were soar for a couple days!!! I'm going back tonight for another work-out.. getting back in shape for the summer!
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
Check out : www.collagevideo.com
They have clips available of each video & rate the difficulty. It might help you pick a pilates DVD.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:35 am      Reply with quote
I have lots of tight muscles so I started Yamuna body rolling. When I first did the abdominal exercise I thought I was going to die the next day. Think of it as exercise with smaller inflatable balls. Because I have Fibromyalgia I use the yellow ball.
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:28 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |