Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Sons! What can you do with them? (re: skincare)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:48 am      Reply with quote
My son is 14 years old. He gets the odd pimple on his face and has a few on his back. He doesn't complain about it, and I don't call any attention to it (the last thing I want is for him to be embarrassed). I am alway bringing home sample sizes of cleansers and toners for him to try, but he rarely even gives them a second look. He just doesn't care! Rolling Eyes

I guess in some ways, that's a good thing, but I really want to instill good skincare habits with him while he is young. Here's a good example of how uninterested he is... if he runs out of shampoo in the shower, he thinks nothing of it to use bar soap to wash his hair. Mad This is inspite of the fact that I have told him countless times that it isn't good for his hair.

My daughter, on the other hand, is always into my skincare and asking what she can try next. Very Happy

Does anyone else have a son like mine? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get him to use products that are good for his skin?
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:41 am      Reply with quote
I have 3 boys. 2 of which are older (25 and 20). The best way I found to insure they used the products I wanted them to was just get rid of whatever it is they are using & leave nothing but the products that I wanted them to use. It's good to be Queen, lol.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Tam:

My son just turned 16 this week, and I can't even get the kid to take a shower. I am lucky if he showers 2 times a week, and that's with me almost dragging him to the bathroom. And, every morning I have to ask if he brushed his teeth as we head out the door to school, and he turns around and heads back upstairs to the bathroom to brush his teeth -- barely. My son started developing pimples last year and I purchased your basic Clearasil Cleanser and the acne treatment. The bottles are still sitting on his dresser unused. I finally threw them out, because they are expired. I don't know if this is the norm for most adolescent/teen boys. I just wish he would start having better grooming habits.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
MystyPines wrote:
Hi Tam:

My son just turned 16 this week, and I can't even get the kid to take a shower. I am lucky if he showers 2 times a week, and that's with me almost dragging him to the bathroom. And, every morning I have to ask if he brushed his teeth as we head out the door to school, and he turns around and heads back upstairs to the bathroom to brush his teeth -- barely. My son started developing pimples last year and I purchased your basic Clearasil Cleanser and the acne treatment. The bottles are still sitting on his dresser unused. I finally threw them out, because they are expired. I don't know if this is the norm for most adolescent/teen boys. I just wish he would start having better grooming habits.

That sounds like my house -- asking every morning if he brushed his teeth. Mad And the second question is did he put deoderant on? Mad Mad At least I don't have to fight with him to take a shower (on school days) only because if he didn't he'd be going to school with a severe case of bed-head. Laughing

I'm hoping that this turns around soon; but if your son is 16, I've still got a ways to go. Sad
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
My sister told me my former brother-in-law used dishsoap to wash his face.

My boyfriend will not touch any lotion as he said he's not gay. He said a guy doesn't need lotions.

My son only uses lotion when his hand is cracked to the point of bleeding.

Nope, you can't change them, just have to love them the way they are.
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
tam wrote:
That sounds like my house -- asking every morning if he brushed his teeth. Mad And the second question is did he put deoderant on? Mad Mad At least I don't have to fight with him to take a shower (on school days) only because if he didn't he'd be going to school with a severe case of bed-head. Laughing

I'm hoping that this turns around soon; but if your son is 16, I've still got a ways to go. Sad

Well, then there is my 11 year old son, who loves to wear my homemade lip balms that I load up with shea butter, cocoa butter, olive oil, sweet almond oil, beeswax and Vit. E. He also brushes his teeth 2 times a day, and likes to wear the mini deodorant I put in his Christmas stocking. Too funny.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
I started to really care when I was 13.
But when I was about 16/17 I started to get acne and it made me care even more.

My brother who is 16, has worse acne than I ever did, at any point in my life and he doesn't care. He uses Rx Clindoxyl and he never remembers to use it regularly. His response: "Meh. My acne isn't bad anyway."

I'm glad he doesn't care about that. He does have the lip balm, shower gel, hair products, etc. So we both care about grooming but when it comes to our skin we act differently.
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
MystyPines wrote:
tam wrote:

Well, then there is my 11 year old son, who loves to wear my homemade lip balms that I load up with shea butter, cocoa butter, olive oil, sweet almond oil, beeswax and Vit. E. He also brushes his teeth 2 times a day, and likes to wear the mini deodorant I put in his Christmas stocking. Too funny.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, MystyPines, but give him a couple of years; that could all change in the blink of an eye. Very Happy
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
dalguy wrote:
I started to really care when I was 13.
But when I was about 16/17 I started to get acne and it made me care even more.

My brother who is 16, has worse acne than I ever did, at any point in my life and he doesn't care. He uses Rx Clindoxyl and he never remembers to use it regularly. His response: "Meh. My acne isn't bad anyway."

I'm glad he doesn't care about that. He does have the lip balm, shower gel, hair products, etc. So we both care about grooming but when it comes to our skin we act differently.

That's too funny Dalguy! Laughing No matter what else guys do or don't care about; the hair is always a top proirity!

When my daughter feels the need to point out to my son that he has a new pimple, he reacts the same as your brother -- says that he doesn't care and who's going to look at his pimple anyway. Very Happy
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
Candy8865 wrote:
I have 3 boys. 2 of which are older (25 and 20). The best way I found to insure they used the products I wanted them to was just get rid of whatever it is they are using & leave nothing but the products that I wanted them to use. It's good to be Queen, lol.

That's very smart advice Candy; now why didn't I think of that?! Laughing

I'd only have one problem with that solution , though -- my husband. Sad He's the guy with normal skin that never had a pimple in his life and thinks that using Ivory soap is facial care. Rolling Eyes I may be the Queen, but the King would rebel if I took his Ivory soap away. (Even though he is just a figure-head. Laughing )
mimiek
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
My little brother is 14 and he started to get acne and blackheads on his face. I’ve been buying skincare products and trying to give him facials. I’m running after him every night and I talk all the time about using lotions and cream and how his face will look like if he doesn’t. But he doesn’t care! he’s driving me crazy, because as soon as he uses the skincare product we notice a huge reduction. These days his forehead looks like a plant of blackheads. Confused
razinkane
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
My son is nine and he has already started to get an some blackheads on his nose area. I don't get it, he's only nine. And he hates them. He asked to use my face cleaner so I said sure, but I hope its okay for him to use. He loves using deoderant he gets in his stocking also, either axe or old spice Laughing
You can tell when hes in the getting groomed up mood because the whole house stinks of axe and I can seriously get a headache, for real. On the other hand, he is notoriosly lazy when it comes to brushing his teeth or taking a bath, which he has to take a bath every day during the school year. So, I don't know which way he is heading.
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
razinkane wrote:
My son is nine and he has already started to get an some blackheads on his nose area. I don't get it, he's only nine. And he hates them. He asked to use my face cleaner so I said sure, but I hope its okay for him to use. He loves using deoderant he gets in his stocking also, either axe or old spice Laughing
You can tell when hes in the getting groomed up mood because the whole house stinks of axe and I can seriously get a headache, for real. On the other hand, he is notoriosly lazy when it comes to brushing his teeth or taking a bath, which he has to take a bath every day during the school year. So, I don't know which way he is heading.

Hopefully, those good habits will stick. Smile
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
mimiek wrote:
My little brother is 14 and he started to get acne and blackheads on his face. I’ve been buying skincare products and trying to give him facials. I’m running after him every night and I talk all the time about using lotions and cream and how his face will look like if he doesn’t. But he doesn’t care! he’s driving me crazy, because as soon as he uses the skincare product we notice a huge reduction. These days his forehead looks like a plant of blackheads. Confused

Are you very much older than your brother? I think that my brother would have run away from me too, if I had every attempted to even touch his face! Laughing
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
tam wrote:
My son is 14 years old. He gets the odd pimple on his face and has a few on his back. He doesn't complain about it, and I don't call any attention to it (the last thing I want is for him to be embarrassed). I am alway bringing home sample sizes of cleansers and toners for him to try, but he rarely even gives them a second look. He just doesn't care! Rolling Eyes

I guess in some ways, that's a good thing, but I really want to instill good skincare habits with him while he is young. Here's a good example of how uninterested he is... if he runs out of shampoo in the shower, he thinks nothing of it to use bar soap to wash his hair. Mad This is inspite of the fact that I have told him countless times that it isn't good for his hair.

My daughter, on the other hand, is always into my skincare and asking what she can try next. Very Happy

Does anyone else have a son like mine? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get him to use products that are good for his skin?

I know what you mean. I have 2 younger brothers. The youngest one is very concerned about his acne issues, and would do anything that helps clear up his pimples. On the other hand, the older brother, doesn't really care about his acne.. he just uses alcohol for them.. eeek!
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
poohlisey wrote:

I know what you mean. I have 2 younger brothers. The youngest one is very concerned about his acne issues, and would do anything that helps clear up his pimples. On the other hand, the older brother, doesn't really care about his acne.. he just uses alcohol for them.. eeek!

Too bad the older one doesn't realize that he has access to skincare expert! Very Happy

And you should really hide the alcohol from him -- that makes me cringe, just reading it! Laughing
ablubo80
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="tam"]Here's a good example of how uninterested he is... if he runs out of shampoo in the shower, he thinks nothing of it to use bar soap to wash his hair.
{/quote]
At least he uses the bar soap. My stepson would just not wash his hair. Heck, if he was out of soap he'd just get wet. I check the shower before he comes just to make sure he's stocked up. And even that doesn't mean he'll use it. Laughing
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="kandaboersma"]
tam wrote:
Here's a good example of how uninterested he is... if he runs out of shampoo in the shower, he thinks nothing of it to use bar soap to wash his hair.
{/quote]
At least he uses the bar soap. My stepson would just not wash his hair. Heck, if he was out of soap he'd just get wet. I check the shower before he comes just to make sure he's stocked up. And even that doesn't mean he'll use it. Laughing

Hold on a second there! I forgot to mention that if we're out of bar soap and shampoo, my son does just get wet! Laughing
dalguy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
That's too funny Dalguy! Laughing No matter what else guys do or don't care about; the hair is always a top proirity!

When my daughter feels the need to point out to my son that he has a new pimple, he reacts the same as your brother -- says that he doesn't care and who's going to look at his pimple anyway. Very Happy

LOL! You're right. It's all about the hair. I don't know why my brother is so indifferent...but I'm glad.
Before I moved away for school my mom used to say that I wasn't allowed to complain about my skin in front of either of them because she didn't want more than one of me.
Now, my brother knows I have had laser resurfacing etc. He said: "Whoa. Hardcore. I didn't know they used lasers on faces." LOL
I don't think my brother will ever care about it to the extent I do and I'm glad. It is actually my sister out of all of us that cares the least. Up until only a 8 or 9 months ago she didn't care about anything. Now it's "If I don't have thermal reconditioning I'll DIE!"
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
tam wrote:
poohlisey wrote:

Too bad the older one doesn't realize that he has access to skincare expert! Very Happy

And you should really hide the alcohol from him -- that makes me cringe, just reading it! Laughing

Lol Exclamation I would if I could, but unfortunately I don't live with them. He just tells me that he likes to pour alcohol on his back/face and that it feels really good!! Mad
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
dalguy wrote:
Quote:

Now, my brother knows I have had laser resurfacing etc. He said: "Whoa. Hardcore. I didn't know they used lasers on faces." LOL!"

Laughing That's so funny! I don't think that I've ever had someone say that something I've done was hardcore! Very Happy

Quote:

I don't think my brother will ever care about it to the extent I do and I'm glad. It is actually my sister out of all of us that cares the least. Up until only a 8 or 9 months ago she didn't care about anything. Now it's "If I don't have thermal reconditioning I'll DIE!"

Okay, that I can understand! Wink
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:36 am      Reply with quote
My teen DS started to have bad acne on his forehead about 6-9 months ago. We tried OTC things, and things that I got from an esthetician for him. Lots of $ spent and he wouldn't use them.

Tried to see how he was feeling about the situation:

Why did he not use the products I got him, that he seemed interested in? He forgot.
Would he like me to remind him? No, he'll remember.
Would he like to do anything differently, to try to help the situation? Well, I'm *not* changing my shampoo/conditioner or cutting my bangs (which help to hide the acne and contribute to the problem at the same time Confused )
Would he like to visit the doctor to see if there's something stronger available that he will use? Yes, he wanted to, likes our doc, and is using the prescription stuff.
Would he like to visit my long-time esthetician, to help with extractions, so he doesn't have to worry about messing things up? I will take him as often as he wants to go. Yes, he likes the results of her doing the extractions.

Things have improved. He seems comfortable with using the products and doing what he's "supposed to" because he had a say in making the changes, on some level.
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:35 am      Reply with quote
Marci, I like your approach. Seems like the more choices a teen has, the easier it is to get them to cooperate. Wink
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:36 am      Reply with quote
My son is in college and 20 now. I gave him IS Clinical Wash, Proheal, Hydracool and he hardly EVER uses it. Now he will shower once a day and use deo., brush his teeth, basic stuff. But he has fuzz on his chin and might occasionally shave it off and hardly takes the time to put the IS stuff on. You'd think having gorgeous girlfriends with flawless might lure him to be more fastideous with his skincare, but no. Crying or Very sad You just hope they grow out of the scruffy stage.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:24 am      Reply with quote
I am blessed with a son who has great skin, poreless and translucent looking. He has skin that is better than most girls, if not for his broad shoulders and square jaw, he would have looked effeminate. He only occasionally get a pimple or two. I just let him be. He does not use any skincare products and washes his face with soap. I do try to remind him to use sunscreen everyday, and I provide him with good sunscreens. At 19, he has better things to worry about though.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:57 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |