Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

regimen, regime, regiment?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Poll :: Which word do you use to describe your routine?

regimen
73%
 73%  [ 19 ]
regime
19%
 19%  [ 5 ]
regiment
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 26

marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
This has been driving me crazy since I've started hanging out on skincare and haircare boards. When you are discussing your routine, which word do you use (other than "routine" Very Happy )?

I say "regimen"
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
Mostly I say "routine" Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
I tried to ignore this but then it started bugging me lol

From dictionary.com:

Regiment:
–noun
1. Military. a unit of ground forces, consisting of two or more battalions or battle groups, a headquarters unit, and certain supporting units.
2. Obsolete. government.
–verb (used with object)
3. to manage or treat in a rigid, uniform manner; subject to strict discipline.
4. to form into a regiment or regiments.
5. to assign to a regiment or group.
6. to form into an organized group, usually for the purpose of rigid or complete control.

Regimen:
–noun
1. Medicine/Medical. a regulated course, as of diet, exercise, or manner of living, intended to preserve or restore health or to attain some result.
2. regime (defs. 1, 2).
3. Grammar. government (def. 9).

Regime:
n.

1. A form of government: a fascist regime.
2. A government in power; administration: suffered under the new regime.
2. A prevailing social system or pattern.
3. The period during which a particular administration or system prevails.
4. A regulated system, as of diet and exercise; a regimen.

So I'm with you Marci65, regimen looks like the best alternative to routine Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing Laughing - I don't think it's a matter of choice or opinion. Of the three, it's the only one that makes sense.
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
I always think of regimen, although you do often see regime used in this context too.
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
Depending on the sentence either 2 or 3 fits.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:10 am      Reply with quote
I'm an Englsih major.

Regimen is the only word you should use, of the three, to describe your skincare routine! Anything else, well, would be wrong! Laughing
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
OMG this is a HUGE HUGE HUGE pet peeve of mine Mad I am constantly amazed by the number of so-called *professionals* who use "regime" to describe their skin/excercise routines, etc. Since when did they join the army?
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
THANK YOU tsjmom and violetanne!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

(hi, I'm katee and I serve in the IS Clinical regiment Laughing )
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
Yes Katee, I do believe you are a General in the 1st Armored Division of IS Platoon #1, n'est-ce pas?! I'm just a lowly private training in the IS regime Laughing
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
tsjmom wrote:
I am constantly amazed by the number of so-called *professionals* who use "regime" to describe their skin/excercise routines, etc. Since when did they join the army?

Laughing Laughing
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
I refer to it as my skin care ritual. Laughing

Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
It's funny that I actually looked that one up today, because "regime" was bothering me. I use "regimen," but I think I like "ritual" better. It just has a more relaxing connotation.

(My first post! I'm a real member now! I just love this board!)

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
Welcome Eriell! Hopefully, that was the first of many! Very Happy
Eriell

Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, tam!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:18 pm      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:
I'm an Englsih major.

Regimen is the only word you should use, of the three, to describe your skincare routine! Anything else, well, would be wrong! Laughing

Oh my GOD!!! Look how I spelled English while I was up on my high horse. In my defense, that was probably due to some jittery, too-much-coffee fingers.

Anyway, I was thinking, and you could certainly refer to your skincare products as your 'regiment.' You know, if you wanted to be weird about it. And personify your cleanser. Sargeant Papaya Cleansing Gel, First Class.

It's late! Eh?
patrice
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:31 pm      Reply with quote
WOW!!! HALLELULIA. Regimen vs regime has been driving me crazeeee every time I see it used. Doctors, reporters, journalists people who are supposed to be educated and should know the difference between a REGIMEN and a REGIME. Gads!! I even wrote a letter to the editor of our local paper saying spread the word. Wise up your reporters to correct word usage!!! THANKS GALS FOR LETTING ME VENT AND GET THIS OFF MY CHEST

5% products discount

Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:01 am      Reply with quote
This thread has me laughing so hard!

It's like nails on a chalkboard when a woman calls her beauty routine her "regime." She thinks she's sounding all classy and French.

I read on one board where someone chimed in with something to the effect of, "Woah, we're talking about the best moisturizer for combination skin. We're not staging a coup!"

Yes, please do correct folks when they use the wrong word.
heathercolorado
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:56 am      Reply with quote
What a hilarious and enlightening thread!

Decided to test what word a man, unpolluted by years of reading beauty magazines and product labels, would use.

Asked BF, "Hon, what's the right word to describe my skin stuff I do every night? What would you call it, my skincare ______?"

"Oh, you mean your body dysmorphic disorder stuff you do?"

LMAO and googled it. Laughed even harder at this link!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/body-dysmorphic-disorder/DS00559/DSECTION=2

My new phrase is 'elaborate grooming rituals.'

And he has something new to tease me about!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:30 am      Reply with quote
I usually say regime or even routine. Smile
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:39 am      Reply with quote
A "regime" is a political group or person in power usually not democratically elected either. People often refer to Fidel Castro and his government as a regime.

A "regiment" is a military group varying in size. People who are in the army are usually in "regiments" and also you hear and read a lot about this from the US Civil War and so on.

The correct word is "regimen" which refers to a routine, an order in which you do things.

Thanks for letting me play picky teacher. Laughing
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:43 am      Reply with quote
heathercolorado wrote:
What a hilarious and enlightening thread!

Decided to test what word a man, unpolluted by years of reading beauty magazines and product labels, would use.

Asked BF, "Hon, what's the right word to describe my skin stuff I do every night? What would you call it, my skincare ______?"

"Oh, you mean your body dysmorphic disorder stuff you do?"

LMAO and googled it. Laughed even harder at this link!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/body-dysmorphic-disorder/DS00559/DSECTION=2

My new phrase is 'elaborate grooming rituals.'

And he has something new to tease me about!

I love your boyfriend's response! Laughing Laughing
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:09 am      Reply with quote
we have to take into account usage. so many people say 'regime' in this context. as well as in 'excercise regime' that the word has been claimed, or morphed in it's meaning.

language belongs to the people, not to the dictionaries.

I speak as an ex lecturer in English Lit, who has had to accept this, along with the fact that 'awesome' now means 'quite nice really.' Confused
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
Heather - I laughed out loud (in a library, no less!) at your BF's response Very Happy I think my DH would agree w/ your BF's assessment Laughing
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
Ah Heather - most of our so's would probably ^5 your bf for that. Mine usually groans out something like, "are you coming to bed when you finish doing stuff to yourself." Shaking my head... He makes it sound like I'm in there masturbating !!!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |