Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

powder concealor application?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:00 am      Reply with quote
I recently just got my Sunlight concealor from Everyday Minerals. However, since I'm very new to MMU I'm still working out the way to apply powder concealor. I've tried with eyeshadow brush, but I'm still not satisfied with the results I got. Can anyone recommend application tips? TIA Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
To apply powder concealer, I've found that it's best to use a small taklon brush -- that will make all the difference. Smile
autumn95
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with Tam.

I have ED multi tasking concealer (and some other brands).

I really like Sally's Face Secrets concealer brush. I have some of Sally's other brushes too. The smudge brush, eye shadow are nice too. Skip the flat top one...too harsh.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
Takelon brushes work better with cream cosmetics. A sable "detail" brush works very well for me when I use mineral powder for concealing.
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
SusieQ wrote:
Takelon brushes work better with cream cosmetics. A sable "detail" brush works very well for me when I use mineral powder for concealing.

I prefer taklon for powder concealers. With a natural bristle brush, too much of the powder gets into the bristles; while with a taklon brush, the powder sits right on the brush so more of it ends up where you need it. Smile
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:01 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies everyone. I've been using Bobbi Brown eyeshadow brush to apply, but I never get the right coverage I want. I'm not sure if it's the concealor or the brush I'm using. Anyway, what brush are you guys using? Can you recommend me some and where to get them? Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:36 am      Reply with quote
I actually use my MAC 242 - it's the BEST brush for ANY concealor - I've used it with cream, liquid and now MMU concealor and it's still the best. However for large areas that just need more coverage I still use my eyeshadow brush - however I'm sure any would work in that case. But for more concentrated areas I still prefer the 242 because it's so versatile and if MMU powder concealor isn't good enough that day I can still use the same brush for my JI disappear.

Apart from the material I also think the shape of it is important. I have MAC 194 which is their taklon concealer brush but because it's sorta elongated it didn't work with me on liquid OR powder concealor. The 242 is a flat more square shaped brush so it really picks up well and distributes it where you want it and actually ADHERES to your skin. With e/s brushes you can't do concentrated areas unless you dab it on but when you feather it out it will end up feathering away the part you want to conceal so I don't think fluff brushes work that well for small areas regardless of material. If the 242 is too big for you, you could also look into their small shader brush which is synthetic I think and it's probably half the size of the 242 so it'll be much more precise.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:46 am      Reply with quote
Now I need to add the MAC 242 to my list of lemmings! Thanks, sormuimui! I mean that sincerely. Very Happy
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:56 am      Reply with quote
I know. Me too!!! I think I've read sormuimui's raves on MAC brushes before. I just bought a MAC 194 concealor brush and I'm still waiting to receive it. It's such a shame I didn't post this topic and found out about MAC 242 before ordering my 194. Now, I'll just have to go out and get myself a 242 brush.

sormuimui,

What brand of powder concealor do you use?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
tam wrote:
SusieQ wrote:

I prefer taklon for powder concealers. With a natural bristle brush, too much of the powder gets into the bristles; while with a taklon brush, the powder sits right on the brush so more of it ends up where you need it. Smile
A sable brush will work Tam, if you dip your brush, swirl the powder into your brush and than apply. On the contrary the takelon does nothing for me. Technically though, the takelon bristles are made especially for cream products..they just apply product so much better.
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
SusieQ wrote:
tam wrote:
SusieQ wrote:

A sable brush will work Tam, if you dip your brush, swirl the powder into your brush and than apply. On the contrary the takelon does nothing for me. Technically though, the takelon bristles are made especially for cream products..they just apply product so much better.

I guess it must be all in the technique. Smile I just can't get a natural hair brush to work for me with a concealer.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
I too use a MAC 242 brush for applying powder concealer, Sephora also do a smaller version of this which is just as good.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
I've used it with EDM's concealers and I use it with my MMU foundation as Alima works well as both a foundation AND concealer - I am going to order Alima's new concealor so will be using it with that too.

With my 242 I've used it in the past with MAC's studio fix, Lancome's Maquicomplet, JI disappear and MMU and it's still the best for every single one of them. I bought mine 5+ years ago and it's still as good as new. However I got another one from a swap and mine seems to be better, the one from the swap was had slightly longer hair and didn't have as much control so definitely go to the counter and find one with more of a square shape than rectangular for this brush.
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
Here's a video on youtube..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oPojeLkNTSw

HTH!
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
poohlisey wrote:

HTH!

Oh thank you! I never knew you could use MMU in so many ways! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
lynn2525 wrote:
poohlisey wrote:

HTH!

Oh thank you! I never knew you could use MMU in so many ways! Smile

You're welcome! Very Happy
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:08 am      Reply with quote
Just a little update. I finally figured out the best (so far) way of applying my Everyday Minerals concealor. I bought Alima eyeliner brush a little while back and I thought it was really crap for applying eyeliner, but I didn't wanna throw it out. So, one day I decided to try it as my concealor brush for MMU. I have to say it picks up just the right amount and blends my concealor rather well. I'm still trying to perfect my technique with powder concealor, but so far so good applying it Alima eyeliner brush Smile

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:26 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Decleor Orexcellence Energy Concentrate Youth Mask (50 ml) Janson Beckett NekaDermEL (118 ml / 4 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Un-Wrinkle Turbo Line Smoothing Toning Lotion (200 ml / 6.7 floz)