Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Need a new dishwasher...help!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:16 am      Reply with quote
Okay so my basic builder's GE potscrubber is going to cost more to be repaired than it is to buy a new one. The repair guy said he prefers Whirlpool for dishwashers. The problem is, the reviews are all over the board on every single brand out there and mostly each has horribly low reviews. So, I'm coming here to see if anyone has any suggestions for me. Keep in mind that I'm trying to keep this under $300 so I realize I'm not going to get one with all of the bells and whistles. I just want one that's going to work well and is preferrably not too loud!

I'll be purchasing from Lowes or Home Depot so the brands are pretty much limited to Whirlpool, GE, Frigidaire, Maytag, Kitchenaid and Kenmore. Any input you have is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:39 am      Reply with quote
I have a Kitchenaid and I detest it. Top of the line, mucho bucks. Doesn't clean well at all and I dislike the rack configeration. If I had to do it all over I would purchase a Sears model. JMO
zaney63
5% products discount

Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:27 am      Reply with quote
Hi TAMgirl99:

I have to agree with Frodo about the Kitchen Aide. Both my daughter and neice got one for their new houses. both hataed them and got rid of them within a year.
Good Luck
MJS
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:50 am      Reply with quote
I have a Maytag and hate it. Mad It leaks water and lets out steam to warp my countertop.

In the past I've had GE and Whirlpool and been happy with them.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
I had the whirlpool-noisy but you can live with it. Best dishwasher in the world: when I bought the house, the built-in one was a Bosch-it just hums..so quiet you forget it's on...cleans anything I throw in there, no matter how I toss it in. She bought the basic model (no frills) since this is pretty $$$, but I can't go back to the others now.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone. I started reading reviews on Home Depot's site about the GE Nautilus and everyone seems to love it. Unfortunately, I just got back from there and they don't carry these in stock but said a company would deliver it. I didn't buy it yet since I don't know when I can take the time to meet the delivery guys.

HD also said their install fee is $100! Are these hard to install yourself? I guessing the delivery guys would haul the new one away, right? What a pain!
cedar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
We've built 2 homes in the past 5 years, doing most work ourselves. It's not hard at all to install.

I had Kenmore Elite in last house. Loved it and wish I had stayed with it. Have Bosch in this house, don't like it at all. I always refer to www.ConsumerReports.org

Next house we build, I'll get Kenmore Elite again. Top notch.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
cedar - Do you know if someone bought out Kenmore? I don't see that brand at either HD or Lowes. Odd.
cedar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
Tam, Kenmore is a Sears brand. Not sure if it's sold anywhere else. The Kenmore Elite line is what I loved. I did my entire kitchen in it last house.
Oakview
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
Does Whirlpool make Kenmore? I can't remember. I have a Maytag, recently recalled but it was always a really poor dishwasher that broke down way too frequently (as did all my Maytag appliances).
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
Cedar, why do you like kenmore elite better than bosch? I'm curious since my dream is to go stainless steel when I revamp the kichen (after I win on deal or no deal, of course). Kenmore is cheaper than bosch I think. I was thinking of covering the bosch with a panel, but I don't think it's worth the expense.
cedar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
Marina, Kenmore Elite is plain and simply more efficient and effective. It wins hands-down in all ways against Bosch. I guess both are considered higher end, but I couldn't care less if something works well, it gets my vote. Much more efficient loading capacity and design. Both extremely quiet. Both my husband I prefer the Kenmore Elite. I did both kitchens in all stainless steel and loved it. Next time, though, I'm gonna go more practical and order the kind of bumpy finish that doesn't show every single fingerprint, mark and/or spill. Stainless steel does look nice, and I do keep it shining, but probably won't do it a third time. I'm looking for as little maintenance as possible next time. Just time to downscale and make life simpler.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks...I've heard about the new finish & was going to look into it. I wasn't looking forward to the cleaning & buffing of stainless steel but I do love the look.As for bosch, mine is amazing..I love the stainless steel interior..I only compare it to the whirlpool I had before,like a truck in my house everytime I ran the darned thing. The bosch has 2 settings (does anyone ever use potscrubber? ) and isn't very energy efficient..no quick wash.Funny how I always end up buying sears appliances in the end.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
I have Bosch (from Sears about $550.00 - 4 years ago), and do not like it. The problem with Bosch is it has no heating element for drying the dishes, it works based on a condensation principle between stainless steel inside and your dishes. It does work in most cases, but not for something with uneven bottom (some of my cups) or plastic containers.

My mom has a high end Bosch and it has the same problem.

HTH,
Lucy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
Tam, this is a suggestion that just popped in my head. Why not look in the yellow pages and call a service repair company and ask what dishwashers they would recommend based on what they fix the most.
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
We put a kenmore elite in our house about 5 yrs ago and haven't had any problems. We read reviews on consumer report. Whirlpool and Kenmore are made by the same people...If you are interested in the Kenmore, why not take a look at sears? they have good sales. When we bought our house, we replace all of the appliances in the kitchen. Sears had a promotion with 10% off and free delivery and set up.

Liz

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
We had a Kenmore for years which worked pretty well, but when we redid the kitchen we put in the basic Bosch. I'm very happy with it--it's whisper quiet and the lack of a heating element for drying makes it very energy efficient. If you have a lot of plastic items to wash, there's good news and bad news with the Bosch. The good news is that you'll never melt, burn, or warp them by close contact with the heating element, since there isn't one. The bad news is that they don't dry well, since the Bosch relies on heat held by the dishes to dry them. For us, it's no big deal because we have few plastic items and so hand=drying them is easy. But if you had a lot of them, I can see where it would be a pain.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
I'm redoing my kitchen now and before I read this I was deciding between the Bosch and the Kenmore (from reviewing reviews). I have a Kitchen Aid (about 9 yo) It is falling apart
(the arm to the sprayer has broken through. I thought they were supposed to last longer!!!
Penelope
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
We are redoing our kitchen and this is the dishwasher we have finally selected (although it isn't sold at either Sears or HD). It's a double drawer dishwasher.
http://usa.fisherpaykel.com/global/kitchen-products/dishwashing/dishdrawer.cfm?productUid=1498E28C-B301-EE88-68944736A834CCEB

Check out the gardenweb.com site for great appliances feedback/opinions.

Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Viz-1000 Intensive Hydrating Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) Bioelements Calmitude Hydrating Solution (118 ml / 4 floz) Osea Ocean Lotion (180 ml / 6 floz)