Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lumiere vs Alima (makeup and brushes)?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Rachael
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Girls (and Boys)!
I just wondered if any of you out there with oily, break-out prone skin like moi have tried both of these mmu brands and have any preference? I have some more EDM samples to try and ordered a sample kit from Lumiere this morning. I think I may as well go ahead and order Alima samples too and compare them all. Also, I'd like to invest in some new brushes. To be honest I'd probably have gone for the kit from Lumiere, along with their kabuki, but I keep reading these rave reviews about the Alima #25 and am finding them harder and harder to ignore. Is the foundation brush used in the same way as a kabuki (ie to apply loose mineral foundation)? Now, I must tell you that I am one of these incredibly sad people(!) that like brushes to match, so if I go for the Alima I'll buy the rest to match and likewise with the Lumiere. My problem is that the Alima brushes seem a bit limited? As in they have (I think) 3 eyeshadow brushes and two face brushes. Is this enough? What do you use for finishing powder, blush, face colour and/or bronzer? Are three eyeshaow brushes enough? I like to use one for a base colour, one for colour onto my lids, one to blend and one for cream/gel eyeliner (I'm currently using the Smashbox cream eyeliner). Are the Alima brushes adequate for all these jobs? Does anyone know if there are any more brushes coming soon? I'm really hoping it won't be long until I find my HG mmu and brushes, then I can move onto something else (mascara, blush etc etc)! Rolling Eyes TIA!
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
I want to know this too, since there's a HUGE price difference between the two.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, there is a big price difference. I wish I knew about the Lumiere brush earlier cause I've been waiting what seems like forever now for the Alima brush to finally be back in stock. I've been brushless. What is the difference in these "Kabuki" brushes with the short little handles and the long brushes? Are they easier to use for powder foundation? I hope someone here has used the Lumiere Kabuki so we can get a review of it.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hello ladies! I currently use Alima but I've tested Lumiere extensively, so I'll see if I can answer some of your questions. First of all, foundation: I have sensitive, oily, acne-prone skin, and I much prefer Alima's foundation to Lumiere's. Honestly, Lumiere's wasn't so bad, but the colors weren't as skin true on me, and it made my skin itch a bit. (I only tried Lumiere's Veena Velvet foundation, though, as I was worried the squalane in the Flawless Face foundation would make me break out.) However, I what I did like about Lumiere's was that it's even MORE matte than Alima (which is already pretty matte), and I do like an extremely matte finish. However, the foundation just wasn't for me. Alima's is perfect, IMO--- very finely milled, creamy feel, skin true colors, doesn't clog pores, etc etc. I'd be interested to hear what you think about EDM--- I thought their foundation was AWFUL! The colors were a nightmare-- all very orange on me.

Now, for brushes. I couple months back, I decided it was time to upgrade my brushes, and I ordered an assortment of high-end brushes, including Nars, Chanel, Fresh, etc etc. Unfortunately these so-called luxurious brushes all scratched up my face terribly! (Granted, I have very sensitive skin, but still!) I kept using my eyeshadow brushes because I thought I could get by with them since they are used on such a small area of skin, but I couldn't keep using the others. Luckily, around this time I also stumbled onto Alima's site and ordered their #25 and WOW!!!! This brush was pretty much everything that I was looking for--- applied my make up perfectly and felt like pure silk on my skin. Because Alima's brush is synthetic, I thought maybe just the fact that it was synthetic was the reason it felt so nice on my skin, so I then ordered a Lumiere synthetic kabuki brush. I'll say this--- the Lumiere brush was better than the high-end brushes, but it still was nowhere NEAR as nice as the Alima. However, I was concerned about the lack of selection in the Alima brushes, so I emailed Kate and described some of the kinds of brushes I was looking for. She emailed me back and said that she's definitely working on expanding the brush line, so I'm looking forward to seeing what else she comes out with.

Anyways, I eventually added the blush brush, large eyeshadow brush, and eyeliner brush to my collection too. The blush brush is a bit on the small side, but it still works well and it feels so nice on my face. The eyeliner brush is for mineral eyeliner, so I don't think it would work too well with a cream liner unfortunately. I use it as a concealer brush though and it works great for that--- I ended up ordering another for back up. The large eyeshadow brush is really nice---- I shouldn't have waited to long on ordering it. It's great for applying color to the lid and crease, but it also has this tapered end that's great for lining eyes, highlighting under brows, etc. I eventually had to give up on my other eyeshadow brushes because they were just too scratchy.

To answer your questions about the #25, it's kind of like a combination of a kabuki and a flat-top, so it's works equally well for foundation and for finishing powder. I use my #25 to first apply a layer of pearl primer, then to apply my MMU, then, after I use the eyeliner brush to touch up trouble spots, I use the #25 to dust my finishing powder over everything.

Oh, I should also add that I was definitely tempted by the Lumiere pre-sale set as $15 is way cheap for a full set of brushes, but when I looked at the picture closely I could see the that bristle density, bristle quality etc was definitely nowhere near Alima's, so I just asked myself why I would spend money, even just $15, on brushes I probably wouldn't enjoy using, and in the end I passed on the set.

Whew! Hope that helps--- let me know if you have any more questions!^-^

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
Manslayerliz - I was hoping you'd show up as I've read all your previous reviews! Thank you for all your info and advice. I think it's the brush selection from Alima that bothers me slightly, but if there are more on the way I can hold out purchasing any for now. I'm going to go ahead and order some make up samples though and start testing those out. Do you have any idea of the timescale of the new brushes?
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
Rachael wrote:
Manslayerliz - I was hoping you'd show up as I've read all your previous reviews! Thank you for all your info and advice. I think it's the brush selection from Alima that bothers me slightly, but if there are more on the way I can hold out purchasing any for now. I'm going to go ahead and order some make up samples though and start testing those out. Do you have any idea of the timescale of the new brushes?

Hi again Rachael! Unfortunately, I don't know the timescale on the new brushes--- it took them FOREVER to get another batch of #25s in, so I'm afraid it might be a while yet. However, in the meantime you might consider trying out the #25 at least--- it's definitely Alima's shining star, IMO, and it will make any MMU you try look much nicer.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
I made a new years resolution to stop spending so much on make up and skincare. I think I've just broken it Embarassed
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Rachael wrote:
I made a new years resolution to stop spending so much on make up and skincare. I think I've just broken it Embarassed

LOL! I make the same resolution every year! It lasts until, oh, January 2nd... Embarassed

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks manslayerliz, for your review and experience. I'm going to get all of Alima's brushes. It's good to know one can be used well for concealer. What are they missing really? Lip brush, brow brush and a blender brush?

Has anyone tried the Urban Decay brushes? They are synthetic too, and have a lot more variety. However I went into Sephora to look at them and noticed that they had a strange smell to me. http://www.urbandecay.com/categories/tools.cfm
sueqlew
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Rachael, I just recently ordered samples from both Alima and Lumiere.I thought the Alima colours were nice, but found the finish a little oily-looking.The Lumiere finish (I chose the Veena Velvet)is superb on me, but all the colours I ordered seem to be a little "off" for the first 20 or 30 minutes then,look much better.I really love the matte ,flawless finish though.I think I will order a few more samples to see if I can nail the colour.Usually I am in the light to light/medium category, but I am finding all of these to be a tad too light.I am going to go to the medium samples even though I have never been medium in ANY brand.HTH- I know how difficult it is finding the perfect MMU.I have also tried UGLO GIRL which I was quite happy with and only started "shopping around" because the colour of my face has lightened since incorporating aspirin masks,ACV toner,and NaturDerm products.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
BYRG wrote:
Thanks manslayerliz, for your review and experience. I'm going to get all of Alima's brushes. It's good to know one can be used well for concealer. What are they missing really? Lip brush, brow brush and a blender brush?

Has anyone tried the Urban Decay brushes? They are synthetic too, and have a lot more variety. However I went into Sephora to look at them and noticed that they had a strange smell to me. http://www.urbandecay.com/categories/tools.cfm

Hi Byrg! I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about the Alima brushes! As for what they are missing, I'd like it if they had some sort of angled eyebrow/eyeliner, a blender, and an angled crease brush, so I'm hoping they include those in the future, however, for the time being I'm definitely enjoying the brushes they do have. I actually have the Urban Decay powder brush. It's very nice. I would say that the Urban Decay powder brush is better than the Lumiere Kabuki, but the Alima #25 is nicer than the Urban Decay. However, if Alima does not expand their brush line down the road I'll probably end up buying more Urban Decay brushes, since they really are a close second to Alima (though they are significantly more expensive, grumble grumble...).

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hello All!

Boy, this is so fun! I love that both of these GREAT companies - both Alima and Lumiere are doing so well. Both have such great creators at the helm, and they both jump through hoops to make sure their customers are satisfied. Not to mention - both have top notch products.

Now, unlike La lovely Liz - I have dry, sensitive, non-acne prone skin. I have tried jillions of MMU brands, and Alima was one of the last. I tried it over the summer and thought I was in love. Nailed the color on the first shot, even raved about it big time on the Delphi Mineral Mania board, but as the colder weather came about, my skin started to feel dryer and tight and itchy...so I switched back to liquids....then I heard about UGlo, so I sampled that - again, great customer service, adorable packaging, but not quite right....so back to liquids again - until I read about the Flawless Foundation from Lumiere...since trying that I have been so happy - no more dry, tight skin, (even with this horrid winter) no orangy-turning at the end of the day, etc., etc. So, for me, Lumiere gets the seal of approval from me. It's so funny that Liz likes the more matte look of the Lumiere - whereas I thought Alima was more matte!

As for the brushes - I do have Lumiere's Kabuki (short handle)and it is soooo very soft, and very nice at picking up the minerals, and for a good price too. However....with Lumiere's minerals, I find my application is much better with a flat top....and currently I have been using Aromaleigh's which is quite nice. I have been sorely tempted to try Kate's at Alima, but I can't justify it (yet) b/c my bank account won't let me. I did do the preorder buy on Lumiere's brushes and did order another flattop so I will compare it with Aromaleigh's to see which one I like better. I will def. report in on those, but that'll be a while as they're due in about four to six weeks. In the meantime, I use the Lumiere Kabuki as a final soft buffing (I spritz it with my Burt's Bees Carrot Complexion Mist) then softly buffed for a creamy end result. It feels so nice on the skin - not scratchy AT ALL.

I really think you'd find a winner in either of the lines. It sounds from your skin description that Alima may be just the ticket, but for the low cost of a sample kit from Lumiere ($3) plus a 15% discount using the code LF15, I don't think you could go wrong trying that either. It may come down to loving both formula's but finding the right color in only one line.

Maria Very Happy

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
It looks as if the brushes are back in at Alima! Very Happy
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:57 pm      Reply with quote
ooof, I'm thrown off by the matte issue that mariav and manslayerliz are having....I hate a super matte look on me, I like something a bit dewy, and am having issues with that in finding the right MMU. I don't want shiny (thanks BE) but I just want it to kind of meld with my moisturizer so I don't look powdery. Do you think I could get that look from either one?
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
Waffle, you might want to try UGloGirl MMU if you haven't already. Lovely finish (I just had coverage issues with it) - not too matte, and just a bit of glow that is quite dewy/natural looking.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
waffle i find spritzing with a little water helps give a more dewy look and takes away the powdery look Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
BYRG wrote:
... I've been brushless. ...

BYRG, your statement made me sad. Sad No girl should be brushless!
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
I bought a set of brushes from Lumiere and although they're rather soft (though nothing nearly as soft as BB brushes) they shed very badly!!! As for Alima brushes, I currently own all their eye brushes. They're as soft as manslayerliz has been raving, but I find they don't pick up eyeshadow that well Sad And I have to add I'm greatly disappointed with their eyeliner brush. It's so thick and doesn't pick up color well at all. I've tried using it dry and wet and there's no way I could get a nice thin eyeliner line as I would using MAC pointy eyeliner brush or flat eyeliner brush, or even BB ultra fine eyeliner brush. So, I'd have to say both Lumiere or Alima brushes have failed to live up to my expectations. (Sorry Liz!)

As for makeup itself, I've never tried anything from Lumiere although I've been thinking about purchasing their Flawless Finish foundation. But there aren't as many colors available and I'm not sure if I'll find the right color match. I've found my good match with Alima W-2 (Cardamom) though I wouldn't say it's a perfect match. I purchased N-2 as well, but I find it too glowy white if you know what I mean. Anyway, I hate the matte finish I get from Alima as I have very dry dehydrated skin, but it seems a lot of people with dry skin on EDS have mentioned they have the same problem with MMU, too. Also, Alima foundations make my skin itch and stings SOOOO bad. I'm not sure what it is, but it seems to be only a problem with their foundations as I LOVE their blushes (gorgeous gorgeous colors!!!), eyeshadows and eyeliners (which I use as eyeshadow for smokey eyes looks).

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:25 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, so much interesting stuff on this thread! First of all, don't apologize Lynn--- I love hearing your input! Are you using the eye brushes with loose or pressed shadow? When I reviewed the Alima eye brushes I should have mentioned that I only use them with loose mineral eyeshadows. They are so soft that I imagine they wouldn't pick up as much pigment from pressed shadows. Also I agree with what you said about the eyeliner brush (I SO wish they would come out with an angled one!), but it does make a dynamite concealer brush--- just dip it in MMU and touch up your trouble spots.

Now that you mention it, my Lumiere brush has shed a bit too... Confused However, I DID find a Lumiere blush that I like (Dusty Rose, maybe?), so all is not lost!^-^

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:26 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
Wow, so much interesting stuff on this thread! First of all, don't apologize Lynn--- I love hearing your input! Are you using the eye brushes with loose or pressed shadow? When I reviewed the Alima eye brushes I should have mentioned that I only use them with loose mineral eyeshadows. They are so soft that I imagine they wouldn't pick up as much pigment from pressed shadows. Also I agree with what you said about the eyeliner brush (I SO wish they would come out with an angled one!), but it does make a dynamite concealer brush--- just dip it in MMU and touch up your trouble spots.

Now that you mention it, my Lumiere brush has shed a bit too... Confused However, I DID find a Lumiere blush that I like (Dusty Rose, maybe?), so all is not lost!^-^

I use my Alima eye brushes with Alima eyeshadows and eyeliners only. Although I'm disappointed with the brushes I'm not gonna throw them out as they're perfect size for traveling Smile Talking about blushes, I LOVE Sahara, Tea Rose and Sugar Rose blushes from Alima. Gorgeous colors although I have to say their staying power isn't as great as my BB blush. I think I just haven't figured out the whole thing with MMU yet, but reading so much about it on EDS, I just really wanna love it! For now, I'm just using both normal makeup with MMU.

5% products discount

Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
I just ordered a #25 brush from Alima after all the raves here and on Makeup Alley. I got 10% off for putting in the code EDS10.

I love the Alima makeup. If you have problems with it being too matte, try spritzing with distilled water or Mychelle's Fruit Enzyme Mist. About the brushes--I noticed Alima makeup looks better when applied with a soft hand (don't grind or buff the minerals into your skin). I'm hoping #25 will be perfect. (I've been making due with a kabuki and Youngblood flat top).

Manslayerliz, you're my hero, btw. Smile
divalovesmusic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
Just tried both Lumiere and Alima this week. Lumiere has a great match with my skin tone and great converage. However, I was oily and pores showed up after a couple of hours. My skin felt smooth too. Alima had great coverage and I had to mix two colors to get my shade, but my pores did not show up again for 5-6 hours. The staying power of Alima was better. Will get my color in Lumiere though.
thatgirlangie
5% products discount

Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
divalovesmusic,

Alima will custom blend a foundation color for you. Experiment with your samples and give them a call. They can even help you create a good match. My perfect match is 25% of each: N-0, N-1, W-0, and W-1. They mixed it at no extra charge and printed off a custom label. It's worth the brief struggle to find your perfect match--the foundation is that great.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
I have samples jumping in & out of my shopping basket. The one thing I can't figure out (I pretty sure I'm either warm or
olive) is: are the neutral slightly pink toned or is it my monitor? Anyone else about an NC35 (or 30) who uses alima & can help me out?
thatgirlangie
5% products discount

Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
The Cools are pink toned. The Neutrals are more brown. Golden is more orange. Warm is more yellow. There may be a slight pink to the Neutral, but not like the cool.

I think you should call them. They are really good at helping you find your color. They also throw in three free foundation samples if you order a bunch of foundations samples to begin with, so you have a lot to work with (as far as mixing to find your color). The neat thing is after you do find it, you have enough for a couple weeks usage. They have very generous samples.

What's an NC35?

Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:05 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |