Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Please help - breakouts of cystic acne
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
qitqat

Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:48 am      Reply with quote
I'm 23 and have suffered from acne since I was a teenager. I was seeing a derm but stopped when moving to university made hospital visits impossible. Despite coming off the antibiotics, spironlactone and dapsone that I was prescribed my skin was relatively break-out free for about a year or so. Recently however, I've started getting some really horrible cystic bumps (these are itchy and painful) mainly around the jaw area but also occasionally on my temples. Despite not squeezing they're starting to scar and this is leaving me feeling very depressed. I have oily skin but found that by using non-abrasive scrubs the oily sheen has reduced. My routine is the same for morning and night:

Acnisal (salicylic acid 2%) cleansing wash
Philosophy on a clear day blemish serum
Avene cleanance oil-free shine regulating lotion.

Any make-up I wear is bare essentuals (oil-free) or tea tree oil based concealer.

When I've had bad break outs and the skin is trying to heal I've used 99.9% aloe vera gel which is limited in its success(I've tried Decleor Prolagene gel but this I've found results in comedones).

Currently in addition to the cystic spots I suffer from clogged pores (I do live in London though) and blackheads on my nose as well as occasional whiteheads. I do have a problem with enlarged pores, acne scarring (pitted and red) and broken capillaries.

My acne scarring was half as bad as it is now this time last year as it was isolated to my cheeks but now thanks to the cysts I've got problems along my jaw and down to my neck. I'm very depressed and am at my wits end. I suffer with depression so Accutane really couldn't be a solution.
Is there anything that anyone could recommend that might at least control/prevent/solve the cysts? The acne scarring I've been told won't really heal although it might diminish in appearance with time. I've got fairly sensitive skin which doesn't really handle too many different products so am trying to keep it to a minimum.

Can anyone help?

oh p.s. the dermatologist waiting list is 4 months and his private practice has a waiting list of 12 months.
belledivine67
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:05 am      Reply with quote
I will be 40 this April and have suffered with acne since my early twenties.

In my twenties it was mild, but throughout my thirties I have encountered cystic acne around my jawline and chin.

You must visit acne.org and order Dan Kearns benzoyl peroxide gel. I was skeptical at first, but his regimine really WORKS!

I followed his advice faithfully and my cystic acne has decreased dramatically.

I definitely urge you to go to his site.
qitqat

Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:11 am      Reply with quote
belledivine67 wrote:
I will be 40 this April and have suffered with acne since my early twenties.

In my twenties it was mild, but throughout my thirties I have encountered cystic acne around my jawline and chin.

You must visit acne.org and order Dan Kearns benzoyl peroxide gel. I was skeptical at first, but his regimine really WORKS!

I followed his advice faithfully and my cystic acne has decreased dramatically.

I definitely urge you to go to his site.

Thanks for this advice belledivine - unfortunately I used to use benzoyl peroxide in my late teens (it was awkward stuff that I had to keep in the fridge and use up after 2 months) but it didn't really help that much - just caused flakiness - still have the scars from that period! Maybe it will work better now though.
I'll check Dan Kearns out! Smile
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:12 am      Reply with quote
I'm so sorry you are going through this...I know how you feel. I have never had bad skin but in my late 20's my hormones went crazy and I started geting very painful cystic acne on my jaw and cheeks. I have tried a few things and some helped right away and then lost their effectiveness and others take a long time to work but do keep the bumps at bay. Not sure which you are after so I'll list both.

Quick results:Short term fix
Proactive (3 step) people either love or hate this...it worked for me. There are places where you can buy the set w/o signing up for the autodelivery. Also, Neutrogena and L'Oreal have great copies of this product and they work...the L'Oreal one is pretty harsh on your skin after a while but in the short term it works....Neutrogena is a bit easier on your skin but takes a little longer to work.

Dessert Organics Tea Tree Oil. I dab this on the spots a couple of times a day. It shrinks them and helps heal when they get infected.

Long Term results:
Juice Beauty blemish serum (takes a while to really work but its one of the only products I've found that has taken the cysts away completly)

Neutrogena Anti Wrinkle Anti Blemish: This stuff worked wonders for me and I used it for around 2 years (cleanser/moisturizer and scrub). Once my skin was completly clear I started using "regular" products and the juice serum. I stopped using it because I'm a product junkie not becuase it stopped working...thought I should note that.

Neutrogena Acne Fade Mask: This stuff is an HG product for me! It clears up major cysts (that are infected) in about 2 days. I use this stuff about 3 times a week to keep everything under control and LOVE IT!!!

Good luck...and dont get sad...you are in good hands with this forum. Very Happy
qitqat

Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:24 am      Reply with quote
Olivia - thank you! They all sound like definite tries. the Neutrogena sounds like a miracle cure! has anyone else had good results with this?
qitqat

Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:33 am      Reply with quote
Just to say that I visited acne.org and it seemed encouraging. I think I might give the benzoyl peroxide another try and see how I go. The website is also useful as it helps diagnose what types of spots one might suffer from (e.g. nodules, papules, cysts etc). I definitely suffer from paps and cysts - the nasty irritated, hot not-so little spots
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:05 am      Reply with quote
There was a review of the Neutrogena Acne Mask...below.

I think the best treatment for cystic acne is a combo of BP and SA. The SA gets deep down and breaks up the cyst and the BP treats surface irratation.

The Neutrogena 3 product system is a good alternative for you as well. It uses both SA and BP so I'm thinking it will work really well for you. Be sure to give it some time...cysts take a while to go away.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11043&highlight=neutrogena+acne+fade
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:09 am      Reply with quote
Recently I had a scad of cystic pimples on my chin, I think due to a Neutrogena product I was using. It was a 2% salicylic acid lotion-- so stay away from that. It had silicones in it, and I think that's what caused it.

What works for me is the Proactiv Repairing Lotion. I've stopped using the whole three piece system now as I wanted to use gentler, more natural cleansers and toners. But I'm not yet ready to let go of my lotion! Lately I just put it on my t-zone as it dries me out in the winter.

Also, have you ever tried a hot compress on the BIG ones? I just use a washcloth and hot water. it helps with the soreness a bit, and to draw it out. And the best spot treatment is Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask. It's cheap, and it works. I had it clear up a big, owie one in just a day!

Good luck!!
organiclover
5% products discount

Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:37 am      Reply with quote
so im an esthetican and use an organic line called Nefara; i have my best friend using their regenerate day cream and their nourishing repair serum. she absolutly swears by it; and even her scaring has improved Exclamation
Sidda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
Please know that BP is not for everyone! When ever I used to use it, it would just "freeze" the spot in place. It was horrid, and yet everyone said "BP for acne," so I thought "I need to try it AGAIN." (I'm smart, but I'm stubborn. Which makes for a slow learner, sometimes. Confused ) I still have five BP products in my cabinet. Expired, but they were expensive, and I keep them -- why? (VERY slow learner. And CHEAP. Laughing )

Tea tree oil gives very close to the same effectiveness without the irritation. Like, BP kills 97% of the bacteria, and tea tree kills 94% -- something verrrry close. If you've tried BP in the past and had poor results, that probably won't change. It's your same skin.

Also Accutane saved my skin TWICE, and I have had depression for 26 years. I take medications, but at the time I took Accutane, I did not. The depression from the spots is much harder to pull out of than any risk with Accutane, imo.

If your derm has such a schedule -- find a new one. Even if it means going off campus and paying for it. I did this, back in the day, and never regretted it for a second.

And don't get all worked up about scars. Most do disappear over time. A few may not, but the great majority do, and there are more treatments for those that remain all the time. Do not despair.

Cystic acne at the jawline is hormonal. The effective options are limited. Hormonal acne can be controlled, but it is a delicate balance. Be patient, and only try one new thing at a time. Throwing lots of new products at your skin will irritate it, and if something IS effective, you won't know what it is, which takes you back to square one.

Good luck. We'll get you through this. Understand that what works for one will not work for others. All you have to do is read a bit of this board to realize that.

Patience, persistence, and humor.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
qitqat I don't have the answers for you as my skin concerns are antiaging.

Iam not an expert but perhaps the members who have used Aspirin Mask and Apple Cider Vinegar toner for treatments can respond. Or, better yet, do a search. Many members are into DIY and are delighted.

Good luck to you. Hang around as I am sure you will get a lot of help from the wonderful people on EDS.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:41 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |