Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sales people can make you feel crappy...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
So I'm a grad student and can't afford a lot. I have a few luxury items, namely from my mum. Anyway, I finally decided that I wanted to buy a new fragrance, Tiffany, and a body lotion. We just had a new Tiffany's open up and so I figured rather than order online, I'd drive the 40 minutes across town to buy it. I paid off some room on my credit card this past month (paid two payments) and my hubby ok'd the purchase (I've decided to be more open about my purchases, as I saw a story on the Today Show about "financial infidelity" and that every time you keep a purchase from your spouse, you technically commit financial infidelity...really got me thinking...).

I didn't feel like throwing on makeup, but I did make sure I didn't look like a wreck walking in. I threw on a pair of jeans and a nice t-shirt, but I grabbed my Louis Vuitton, Chanel Sunglasses (haven't worn them in months) and my Tiffany bracelet. I learned the hard way in Burberry you've got to look the part somewhat, even if I was technically "in costume" due to the fact my mum bought them all for me over the past two years.

Anyway...the drive ended up taking almost an hour with traffic but I got there. I went in (never been inside a Tiffany's before) and was greeted by security (I'm assuming). I asked him where the fragrances were and he politely directed me. I went back, found what I was looking for then scanned the store, trying to see if I could get anyone's attention.

I stood there for 5 minutes...then decided maybe if I walked around (my fault for not demanding attention right away, but I wanted to look around anyway). I went for the silver case and browsed for about 5 minutes. Then this undergrad came in with her boyfriend...obnoxious and whiney that she wanted a heart tag bracelet. They came up to the same case as me only at the other end. Finally someone was walking over to me...or so I thought. He walked right by me and went over to them! I had been in the store over 10 minutes by now and NO ONE had said anything to me.
Now all the stupid SAs were busy so I had to wait 10 more minutes before I finally walked up to a guy and asked in a rather snotty way "um, could you actually help me with a purchase?"
I was so angry. He was caught off guard I think by my attitude. He kept staring at my shoulder. I wondered what his problem was. Then I realized what he was looking at...my tattoo. I also have a tattoo on my left wrist. That really riled me up. So I proceeded to tell him I was interested in buying a fragrance and decided right then and there to make his job hard. Maybe it was wrong but I was upset. So I sampled the one I knew I was going to buy then made him price check EVERY SINGLE THING in the fragrance cabinet...from EDPs, EDTs, body lotions, to gift sets...every time he had to walk two counters away and check the price. I finally said what I'd take, which happened to be the first two things I looked at.
He asked me "Will that be all?" and although I had no intention of buying anything else, I faked it "well I WAS interested in looking at one of your tag necklaces and matching earrings to go with my bracelet but since I stood here for 20 minutes, I just don't have time anymore. I'll order it from the website." He was super polite after that.

I'm not saying my tattoos were what caused my "lack of service" but there was something about me that caused all of them to ignore me, but they went straight to the annoying chick dressed in sweatpants and a haphazardly cut university t-shirt and uggs within a minute of her entering the store.

Anyway, I just had to vent. I'm thinking of filing a complaint with Tiffany but I'm not sure if it's worth it. It just made me feel really low and not worth much...as I obviously wasn't as important as their other customers. Just because I can't waltz in and drop a lot of money on one of their pieces doesn't make me any less worth their time on the occasions I DO buy something. Crying or Very sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
I hate when sales people make you feel like crap! I'm glad that you at least made him run around a lot.
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
I really don't think it had anything to do with your tatt's. Ultimately, the only one who knew that all you had room for on your credit card were a few relatively small purchases was YOU. The simple fact is that, more often than not, the sales people who work in place like Tiffany or in couture shops are snotty assholes. Don't ever let them make you feel small. I can understand that once you had made the trip, you didn't want to walk out empty-handed, but I think I would have taken a whiff of the fragrance and said, just loud enough to be heard, but not loud enough to be rude, "Oh god this is just hideous!" The wait involved in ordering by phone or online would have been worth the wait.
world~of~mirth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
You shouldn't let them make you feel that way! It isn't like most SAs make enough to shop their either. Lol at least that is how I like to think of it. You should complain. They shouldn't judge you because of a tattoo or anything else. They should treat each person with respect and you weren't treated that way.
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
Paris, since you were there and know the dynamics of the situation, you're probably correct in your assessment.

It could also have been something else entirely. Sometimes in stores like these, staff has only a limited amount of time to "sum up" the situation. There are those that seem to get preferential treatment but the whole idea really is to get them served and OUT the door! You obviously looked like you "belonged" and perhaps seemed content to browse at your leisure. Just an idea.

Ari

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
((Poor Paris))

One of my friends is a member of one of the wealthiest families in Chicago. You can never tell by the way she dresses. Yet if she chooses to, she can probably buy anything from Tiff. So it's not you or how you dressed, it's these SAs.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
I think it's just that customer service is getting progressively worse. You might not have been waited on because you didn't draw attention to yourself like the other girl. But you shouldn't have to ASK for service like you were forced to do. I would complain, if I were you, that you were ignored while in the store and that you have to wonder why a prestigious company like Tiffany's wouldn't serve their customers better.

This is making me think of that scene in Breakfast at Tiffany's when Paul and Holly go to Tiffany's and tell the guy they want to buy something for $10 ("that was the outside figure"). YET, he still served them!!

They obviously aren't living up to their repuatation.
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:55 pm      Reply with quote
"Then this undergrad came in with her boyfriend...obnoxious and whiney that she wanted a heart tag bracelet."

How do you know that she was an undergrad?

You are upset that this sales assistant was judging you yet it seems like you were judging this other customer the same way.

I think you should have left long before you ended up speaking with the male sales assistant. Standing around and waiting shows that you will put up with bad service. He seemed rude, however your pointing out what you could order from their website was strange. Why didn't you do that to begin with and save yourself the trouble and drive time?
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:57 pm      Reply with quote
It humors me to think that some sales people are so uppity at high end stores...and they can't even afford most of those things.

It probably was your tattoos; I was at Neiman's in Charlotte with two of my friends who are so-called emo kids; I felt like everyone was staring at us, and it wasn't until I busted out the NM black card at the counter that the saleswoman got friendly.

You should take your own advice....you can use Ari's ingenius "I'm profit, you're overhead", that I'm sure you've been dying to use. Laughing
dalguy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:08 am      Reply with quote
Sorry that happened!
If they could afford what they were selling, they wouldn't need to work there.
I try not to be a jerk about having money. (Or should I say my parents having money. It's definitely not mine. LOL!) It drives me nuts when people in high end stores act bitchy like that.
By the way, the above line is what I said to a woman who worked a sales counter a few years ago. I was quite miffed at how ignorant and snotty she was. She went out her way to use "that tone" and steer me toward other things and it was really frustrating. (Especially since when I walk into a store I usually do very little browsing, mostly going straight to counter and saying what I need to get.) I did feel bad for saying it though. Mind you I didn't apologize.
I don't want to make it seem like every salesperson I've dealt with in high end stores are mean...I've had awesome experiences for the most part. Especially at Gucci in Toronto. (If anyone is familiar, I'd like to know if you agree!)
I'm NOT a jerk about money at all, but when I have to be I definitely love throwing it around. LOL.
Don't be upset about it, no matter how much money you have.

PS: I don't have a Tiffany store near me but I had to call them for a phone order and they were really great...I'm sure if you went back in it would be better. Smile
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:25 am      Reply with quote
I know how you feel. I'm really glad he got what he deserved!!
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:22 am      Reply with quote
She came in talking about a class called "TRAD"...Culture and Traditions. It is an undergraduate requirement for students at the university in my town. This is the only clue she gave me, however, no one but undergrads take this class.

And if I order from the website I have to pay 14 extra dollars in shipping and it seemed kinda silly if I have a store in town. That's why I drove in order to save on the shipping charge from the website. My point in making the website statement is that I'd now rather pay shipping than go directly to the store from now on.

Anna_in_
Sweden wrote:
"Then this undergrad came in with her boyfriend...obnoxious and whiney that she wanted a heart tag bracelet."

You are upset that this sales assistant was judging you yet it seems like you were judging this other customer the same way.

I think you should have left long before you ended up speaking with the male sales assistant. Standing around and waiting shows that you will put up with bad service. He seemed rude, however your pointing out what you could order from their website was strange. Why didn't you do that to begin with and save yourself the trouble and drive time?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:47 am      Reply with quote
My husband went into Neiman's about 8 years ago to buy my Christmas. He had just finished playing a round of golf. The saleslady refused to take his check-he had all of the appropriate id. He had to go get money from an ATM. I called the store manager when he told me what happened. Neither of us have set foot in Neiman's since and never will.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:40 am      Reply with quote
I tend to treat SA with bad attitude with their own taste of medicine. I try not to be overly bitchy but sometimes that's what works. I love to call out the manager... Rolling Eyes

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:50 am      Reply with quote
I don't care if I look like crap when I go to one of those kind of places. I want them to leave me alone until I know what I want to buy. I wouldn't have made that guys job harder. He seemed to get the brunt of your anger. I would have told him from the get go that I waited a longtime for service.

Now those snobby SA's are not fooling anybody. If you are so snobby and high and mighty- why do you have to work for a living? Refusing to sell a product to someone bc he is wearing casual clothing? Maybe I should go work as an SA. I'd be rich in no time. I would sell to anybody that came through the door bc that would be my JOB! I just don't get the snotty attitude?!
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:08 am      Reply with quote
I agree with Wild Cat.
I refuse to be treated as a second class citizen. Even though I am a nice and kind person (at least all my friends think so), if mistreated I would demand to see the manager and refuse to allow them to earn any comissions off my purchase.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:25 am      Reply with quote
Paris--sorry you had to go through that, but i think violetanne is right when she says customer service is just crappy nowadays. it's just worst in those high end stores. i am glad you got your revenge on him though! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
Anna_in_Sweden wrote:

Its obvious you don't get the point of Paris' post. She came here to share her story and perhaps to seek commiseration from the rest of us. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but please consider the context when you make a comment next time in a situation like this. You did something similar when Moosette shared her story of an elderly man thinking her husband was Carter's grandfather instead of his father and pretty much succeeded in adding insult to injury then, much like it seems your intent was here with Paris.

Maybe you don't have the "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" motto in Sweden. But in this context, the idea is to support the sisterhood, not make the ladies feel worse with snotty comments that are better left unsaid and which force them to defend themselves from further poor treatment at the hands of people who should not be dishing it out.

Just a thought.
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
my sushi secret wrote:
It humors me to think that some sales people are so uppity at high end stores...and they can't even afford most of those things.

It probably was your tattoos; I was at Neiman's in Charlotte with two of my friends who are so-called emo kids; I felt like everyone was staring at us, and it wasn't until I busted out the NM black card at the counter that the saleswoman got friendly.

You should take your own advice....you can use Ari's ingenius "I'm profit, you're overhead", that I'm sure you've been dying to use. Laughing

I love Arielle's "profit/overhead" line...definitely would've been appropriate here! Laughing But I am really sorry you had to go through an experience like that. It's an SA's job to be respectful of (and at least moderately attentive to) every potential customer that walks into their store.

Mary

5% products discount

Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
sometimes people are just lazy. over half the people i know automatically say they are "just looking" just to get away from the employees. maybe once the employees saw 3 people in the store, they realized that they had to actually get up and do some work. i'm sure that you are not always "on" at work either so don't punish others for possibly just having a bad day. remember: KARMA!! don't "stoop"to other people's levels. have dignity. have grace. rise above it and treat people with respect.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
ParisTroika,

I think it is out of order when you get ignored in shops & I have walked out of many without making a purchase due to that attitude. I have also reacted exactly the way you did. I have also been known to pull out a little note pad and started writing on it, sometimes it makes them think you are a secret shopper & then they behave.

Why shouldn't you get treated with respect no matter what you look like you are a customer & if we all have to shop online to get good service these jumped up little SA's are going to be out of work. I have told them that as well. Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
I have had a very similar experience at Tiffany and to this day I refuse to go in there....coach is off my list too! My hubby and I went in Tiffany to buy a clock for his grandparents 50th anniversery and they took there sweet time helping us and when they did they were very rude. We had the clock engraved and spent over $600 on the stupid thing...only to find out his grandparents gave the clock to one of the grand kids because they "didnt have a clock in their room". So this stupid little 5year old has the $600 clock sitting on their blues clues nightstand. UGH! Can you tell I'm still bitter? Its been 2 years!
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
Olivia wrote:
I have had a very similar experience at Tiffany and to this day I refuse to go in there....coach is off my list too! My hubby and I went in Tiffany to buy a clock for his grandparents 50th anniversery and they took there sweet time helping us and when they did they were very rude. We had the clock engraved and spent over $600 on the stupid thing...only to find out his grandparents gave the clock to one of the grand kids because they "didnt have a clock in their room". So this stupid little 5year old has the $600 clock sitting on their blues clues nightstand. UGH! Can you tell I'm still bitter? Its been 2 years!

OMG Olivia! If it's any consolation, I also would have flipped out if my Grandma "re-gifted" a Tiffany clock I gave her to one of the grandkids! I'm sure she didn't know how valuable it was...but still!! Shock

Mary Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
Olivia
that would make me cross. I would never buy them another nice present.
Funny you should mention clocks & grandparents. When I got married 27 years ago in July Mr loopy's gran told us that she gave both of his sisters expensive clocks for their weddings but as they both got divorced she was not willing to spend a lot on us until we proved we were going to stay married. Well 9 years later she died & we never did get our wedding present. Rolling Eyes

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
I love jewelry and would like to work at Tiffany. I would love to help people find what they want too and I would treat everyone with respect.

I don't really need the income.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:15 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Viz-1000 Intensive Hydrating Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) pH Advantage High Potency Effective Vitamin C Serum (51 ml / 1.75 floz) StriVectin TL Advanced Light Tightening Neck Cream (50 ml)