Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Hair color help--Ion color and red gold corrector
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
kabston

Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:43 am      Reply with quote
I am an amateur home self colorist with a natural color of medium to dark brown with some red and copper undertones along with some gray hair (not much, but some is very noticable at my hairline). My hair is long, thick, and coarse with some curl to it.

Until recently I only used temporary, wash out color. Lately I have tried a couple of Loreal boxed colors in medium golden brown, and it all turns out looking medium reddish brown and is a little to dark for me. I have since learned that I am supposed to use a shade lighter than I think I want.

So, I visited Sally's and bought Ion Color Brilliance liquid in light golden brown and some red out color corrector. I followed the directions and applied to the length of the hair first and then to the scalp area (even though this is the opposite of all the color kits I have ever used). The color turned out still a little on the red/coppery side, and the hair from the root to about 2" out was even more so--because it is younger hair I guess? My hair was super soft afterwards, so I do have to recommend this product (assuming I can figure out how to get the color even and right)!

I went back to Sally's and discussed my situation with a staff member, and she recommended the red gold corrector (instead of the red out color corrector). She also recommended applying it to the roots first for about 20 minutes and then combing it through the ends for another 15 minutes.

So, for the experts out there, is this latest set of instructions good? Do you have any other suggestions/recommendations? Thanks in advance for your help. Smile
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:15 am      Reply with quote
Her instructions are fine, but I've got to disagree with you about Ion products. About 6 months I went to Sally's to pick my normal Wella stuff. They were out and were running a huge sale on Ion, so I figured I try it. The stuff is crap!

I've never seen permanent color fade the way that stuff does. It went straight in the trash the moment their Wella supply was replenished.
kabston

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:35 am      Reply with quote
Katee, please share what your Wella process is (products, timing, etc.). As I said, I am new to permanent coloring, so I can use all the tips/suggestions I can get.

A few other questions...

Is your hair light, dark, gray, etc.?

What do you mean by the color fading? Is that when the gray becomes noticable again? My Ion color has been on for three weeks, and I can see some of the grays again (not just at the root). The Loreal stuff I tried did this, too, so I thought this was normal.

Thanks.
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:13 am      Reply with quote
I have dark brown hair that shows alot of red and gold highlights. I use Wella Color Charm Liquid permanent haircolor (that I buy at Sally's) with a 20% cream developer. I color my hair (1) to cover grey, and (2) to cool down the red. I usually do a 50-50 mix of the medium golden brown and a cooler brown. I can't remember the numbers of the stuff I use offhand. I also add a few drops of Grey Magic that I get at Sally's. I can't remember who makes it, but it comes in a tiny little black bottle. When added to your colorant, it really does extend the length of time that your coverage will last.

I started doing my own color because I was tired of spending the time and money to get results that often were not what I wanted (aka the deep burgundy streak that made me look like an overgrown punk rock groupie Laughing )

I love the results that I get now and I love that I don't have to wait for an appointment, etc. My stylist always compliments me on what a great job I do, but pleads with me to keep my mouth shut, cause s he says I'm bad for business.

P.S. When I said the Ion color faded, I meant just that. The richness dissipated very quickly as did the grey coverage. With the Wella Color Charm, all I ever have to do is touch up my roots...
kabston

Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:52 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips, Katee. I will have to try the Wella Charm! And I need to get some of that grey magic, too.

I just thought the short-lived gray coverage was typical--now I know that there are better options! I can relate to the results not turning out how you expect. I did have my hair highlighted a few times about 5 years ago, and that was an expensive disaster since my hair turns brassy.

Thanks again!
debbied
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
katee, I've been in to try & purchase some items from Sallys but some things they won't sell me. I hope someone can share some insight with me...I can't buy items needed for a perm or haircolor. The perm I can understand. The thought of me (or anyone) trying to perm their own hair is frightening. But not to color it. Was it maybe a particular brand I was trying to buy? I'm clueless but it's been quite a while back, maybe things have changed? TIA
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
Sounds completely weird debbied. I've never had a problem purchasing anything in Sally's. The only place I've come across that won't sell to you unless you can show a license is Davidson's. It's a shame too, cause they carry a much higher end line of products at a very substantial discount.
Nurse nail tech
5% products discount

Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone
I have never been on this forum before only to another forum which I guess cannot be mentioned. Anyway, you might not be able to purchase certain products at Sally's unless you have the Professional Sally Card. To have this card you need a cosmetology license. So that might be why they would not sell the Wella Color Charm to you. Another thing, I thought in order to eliminate reddish tones you should not go to the golden shades instead the ash tones or neutral tones so it neutralizes the reddish tones in the natural hair. Has to do with the color spectrum. I think you need to go towards the blues in the color spectrum. The color wheel it might be called. I too have med-dark brown and steer away from goldens or else I will have a carrot head. Not the shad I am going for. So I use the ash browns instead. Don't know if Wella offers this. I have used the Professional line of Miss Clairol. I believe Sally's carries this line as well with their 20 creme developer. Very Happy

Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:21 am      Reply with quote
Hi Kabston.
I have the exact same problem with the reds coming out when I color. I too have very long hair and am currently using a medium ASH brown to get rid of the red and brassiness. The ash is a green tone and is suppossed to offset the reds. It's working so far. If you find something that works really, really well, please let me know.
Thanks!
Nurse nail tech
5% products discount

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:34 am      Reply with quote
clansing wrote:
Hi Kabston.
I have the exact same problem with the reds coming out when I color. I too have very long hair and am currently using a medium ASH brown to get rid of the red and brassiness. The ash is a green tone and is suppossed to offset the reds. It's working so far. If you find something that works really, really well, please let me know.
Thanks!

Hi there

Is there a particular brand you prefer? I had just got a DVD from the Ion Brilliance collection. Is this forum it appears that was not one that was recommended.

Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:18 am      Reply with quote
Actually, I'm using Clairol Nice n' Easy Grey Solution. I don't have many greys (yet) but this in an ash brown tones down the red a lot.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:02 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |