Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I would like your opinion on an ebay purchase (jewelry)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
angelina
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140083374098&rd=1&rd=1

The seller wanted to charge $40 more for shipping than what he stated on his auction. Out of principle alone, I don't think this extra $40 is fair. In the end, he said he'll absorb the $40. He said the ring was won for less than the cost price to him. For those of you who know jewelry, does this sound true? Quoting a shipping price that is not listed in the auction is wrong but I would feel bad if the seller lost money.
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
I wouldn't want to risk it.. Crying or Very sad
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
I would report the seller to eBay. He should have set a reserve price if he was conerned about getting a minimum price met through this auction. You are kind to feel bad for the seller, but whether he lost money in this auction should not be your concern. I don't think he's allowed to charge a different shipping price than what was listed.

The seller got $1,725 -- which is quite a lot of money in my world. That he is quibbling over an extra $15 in shipping charges that he is not entitled to per the terms of his own listing is silly.

See if you can run this by an eBay rep through the Live Help function -- it's on the eBay home page, toward the top right corner of the webpage -- look for the tiny question mark in a small yellow circle/oval.

I hope this helps. If you won, I hope you haven't paid a dime to this seller yet.
Genie
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
It's strictly against E-bay policy to hold you hostage for more shipping than stated on the auction page. Some sellers get around this by saying that shipping will be determined at the end of the auction. These are the sellers that I steer clear of since you never know what you will be charged.
angelina
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
Genie wrote:
It's strictly against E-bay policy to hold you hostage for more shipping than stated on the auction page. Some sellers get around this by saying that shipping will be determined at the end of the auction. These are the sellers that I steer clear of since you never know what you will be charged.

Actually, he asked for $105 to ship to Canada. I originally paid $65. I asked for the auction to be cancelled so he said he'll absorb the $40. He said he was insistent on the $40 originally because he lost money on the deal. I'm curious if this was a line or if he really lost money because I wouldn't want anyone to lose money. I was pissed off at the extra shipping because I remember Kandis shipped her lip package for less thatn $65 flat fee. Even with insurance and such, that's a pretty high rate to ship a ring.
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
This person is a Powerseller not some newbie so he ought to know that either he should set a reserve OR he should have started the auction at a higher price. The fact that he is trying to guilt makes me think that the man is a liar, what's worse is that you feel badly for him. In order to be a Powerseller one has to sell for a minimum of $1000 USD a month for at least 3 months before eBay will add that little logo next to your seller name. I have a feeling that this man is making A LOT more than that based on some of his previous transactions and final sale prices.

I wouldn't go through with this deal but if you chose to use something like PayPal so that at least if you don't get it or it's not what he says it is (have it appraised!) then you can do a PayPal chargeback and send it back to him. If you pay with a check or other form I get the impression this guy won't refund you in full, not if he is the type that is so keen to haggle you over $15.

I would also report him to eBay because what he is doing is against all of their policies. Also, if you go through with the transaction leave a neutral feedback and make sure to mention that "seller wanted more in shipping cost after auction closed". That ought to make other potential buyers aware of his so-called business practices. If you don't go through with the deal I would leave him negative feedback which you can do since you won the auction. Let others know how he operates, he deserves it!
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
After reading his description of the ring a little more I noticed something in big red lettering that was also underlined: "This is a NO RESERVE auction - Your highest bid wins!"

Yet even with that sentence he wants YOU to feel bad because it sold for less than he anticipated? I would promptly send him and email reminding him of his auction wording. His reputation is on the line and not yours. A negative hurts a seller far more than a buyer. If he's smart he'll try to avoid it.

Sellers like him give the rest of eBay a bad name... and yes I sell on eBay too. Smile
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
I wouldn't pay a penny more than the quoted shipping rate which is already WAY INFLATED to ship ONE ring???? Ebay sellers often exaggerate their shipping cost to help absorb the final value should it not get to where they want. Some are too outrageous and I won't bid on their auctions because I feel they're unethical. No wonder this seller's feedback is 99% positive.
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
Price inflations make me mad! Mad Mad
Moocheez
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
This happened to me before. The Canadian seller upped the postage because she said the item would not survive normal shipping and would have to be shipped with special packaging. Rolling Eyes I was new at eBay then and didn't know the rules.

I agree with everyone that said don't pay him a dime and he is trying to get more money off you. He is being manupilative.
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:39 pm      Reply with quote
You could also report him for fee avoidance. When a seller inflates their shipping so much like that (you will sometimes see auctions that are selling for $1 but then shipping is $13.95 or so) it is fee avoidance pure and simple. They pay eBay a percentage based on what the item sold for and not what it shipped for. Report this seller! He is trying to "recover his loses" by hiking up your cost meanwhile he won't pay an additional fee of it to eBay. EBay by the way is VERY interested in these sellers and can and will suspend them if it happens more than a few times. Again like I said, he wasn't some new unexperienced seller, he is a Powerseller. He knows what he is doing, and you should not feel sorry for him under any circumstances. The ball is in your court and not his, don't let him make you feel otherwise.
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:27 pm      Reply with quote
angelina wrote:
Genie wrote:

Actually, he asked for $105 to ship to Canada. I originally paid $65. I asked for the auction to be cancelled so he said he'll absorb the $40. He said he was insistent on the $40 originally because he lost money on the deal. I'm curious if this was a line or if he really lost money because I wouldn't want anyone to lose money. I was pissed off at the extra shipping because I remember Kandis shipped her lip package for less thatn $65 flat fee. Even with insurance and such, that's a pretty high rate to ship a ring.

I guess that I'm the only one that doesn't exactly agree with what everyone else is saying. When you cancel an auction, you risk the chance of the person who said they will pay you money if you cancel of not paying you. Then you are out the money and need to create a new listing. Whenever I sell on EBay, I ALWAYS steer clear of those asking me to end the auction early. I don't have the time, nor the patience to deal with deadbeats or just people who don't stick by your word (btw, I'm not saying that you are in any way!!!) While he did state in the auction that shipping will be $65 to Canada, and then I'm guessing he quoted you for $105, I would have NOTHING against the seller for stating that. I only say this because:

a. He did say that shipping will range from $65- 120 dollars depending on location. Now, maybe you are in a part of Canada that requires for him to pay an extra fee, I don't know, but the fact that he DIDN'T ask you for more than $120 should be something to be taken into account. (Yes he will get charged selling fee's and such from the auction, but since he started bidding at $1, he chose the route to go with the least amount of charges. This way, he will only be charged the 15% or so that EBAY charges for winning auctions plus $3-10 something just to make the auction. In the end, he's actually winning money from ending an auction early and announcing that nobody won because this states that EBAY.com will NOT be able to take off that 15% or so that they were expecting from the sale).

b. The ring he had sold to you is worth more than the winning bid of $1,725.00. Now, I know that EBay is all about getting things for cheap, etc. but because of this, I personally wouldn't hog $40 because I thought I was getting riped off on shipping. Yes, people raise shipping fee's to 'pad' their losses, but honestly, tell me how much $40 is really actually padding his loss?

c. OK, so he did say that he will take the fall of $40 for you just because you have bought the item. Yes, this is a type of guilting. But don't even think of it. Yes, I wouldn't have cared to have paid the $105 he originally quoted you for, but because HE SAID he'll take off $40, just take it and run with it. If anything, you have the legit reasoning of saying, "Well, your EBay Auction stated that shipping to Canada IS $65, so that means you aren't loosing out!"

But you know, those are just my thoughts. I'm not trying to make you feel bad in anyway or anything, but I'd like to make it clear that this situation doesn't seem worth any hassle. Again, just my thoughts. Anyone, feel free to disagree Wink .

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:36 am      Reply with quote
Where was it ever stated that the original poster asked this seller to end his/her auction early?

Charging $105 to ship a ring to Canada is insane! I had a nearly 2.5 lbs package sent here to Sweden from the US and it cost me around $16. A ring sent to Canada from the US should cost half of that or even less.

This seller is trying to guilt the buyer into paying more by crying about how they are losing money. I seriously doubt that this person is losing any money but IF he/she is, the seller is an experienced seller (the over 1000+ feedback should tell you that) and also a Powerseller. He probably also operates a physical brick and mortar store selling his wares. Seeing how all of his items for sale are rings he is probably also a trained jeweler. This person knew what he was doing. He specifically highlighted and underlined in his listing that this was a "No reserve auction- your highest bid wins!" and now he wants the winning bidder to pay more because this seller didn't get as much as he wanted? You have got to be joking. Don't pay a dime, in fact report him, leave him a negative and move on.

I wouldn't be surprised if the buyer decides to go ahead with this that the seller would switch out the diamonds for a cheaper variety, seeing how he feels ripped off. It wouldn't shock me at all. It happens quite often.
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:25 am      Reply with quote
Anna_in_Sweden wrote:
Where was it ever stated that the original poster asked this seller to end his/her auction early?

angelina wrote:
I asked for the auction to be cancelled so he said he'll absorb the $40

But I see what your saying, it could be that the original poster meant that they wanted the entire auction canceled, as in taken off record of winning the item. Depending on that would be the answer. However, seeing that the original poster stated:
angelina wrote:
I asked for the auction to be cancelled so he said he'll absorb the $40

It looks as if angelina wanted him to end it early. (in my opinion)
Anna_in_Sweden wrote:
Charging $105 to ship a ring to Canada is insane! I had a nearly 2.5 lbs package sent here to Sweden from the US and it cost me around $16. A ring sent to Canada, the US's neighbouring country should cost a half of that or even less.

Yes, paying $105 to ship a ring is crazy especially since it weights close to nothing. However, it is dependant on the insurance price the seller decides to state on the form when shipping it. If the seller stated that the ring was worth $8thousand some dollars rather than the $1thousand some the auction ended on, the seller is securing(from theft/loss/etc.) the ring for that amount, thus paying WAAAAAYYYY more than he would have if he declared the ring was worth less.
Anna_in_Sweden wrote:
This seller is trying to guilt the buyer into paying more by crying about how they are losing money. I seriously doubt that this person is losing any money but IF he/she is, the seller is an experienced seller (the over 1000+ feedback should tell you that) and also a Powerseller. He probably also operates a physical brick and mortar store selling his wares. Seeing how all of his items for sale are rings he is probably also a trained jeweler. This person knew what he was doing.

Yes the seller is trying to lay a guilt trip on the buyer. However, once the seller had stated that they will take $65 for shipping, it doesn't matter how much they bitch and moan. The bottom line is that they were the one's that said they will forget the $40 dollars so take the sellers moaning and groaning with a grain of salt and move on. I don't think it really matters much after that point. He is trying to use guilt because it has probably worked before, so hey, why not is what they think.
Anna_in_Sweden wrote:
He specifically highlighted and underlined in his listing that this was a "No reserve auction- your highest bid wins!" and now he wants the winning bidder to pay more because this seller didn't get as much as he wanted? You have got to be joking. Don't pay a dime, in fact report him, leave him a negative and move on.

He whined about $40. OK, I don't see the huge issue. Yes you won the item for less, and yes you were quoted to pay $65 for shipping. And since the seller STATED that $65 will do, his moaning and groaning shouldn't get to the bidder because at this point the bidder shouldn't even care. Yes the guys got balls for bitching, but I guess he's just one of those guys who wants every cent. That's his problem, not angelinas (or the winners). He created a No Reserve auction because it costs less to create an auction on EBay without a reserve. Being such a huge manufacturer, he probably knows he will have items that sell for less than expected as well as for more than expected. That's how EBay works. Being a power seller, yes he knows. But it doesn't matter what your status is on EBay, you can still moan about 1 cent anytime you'd like. Especially if you think the buyer is vulnerable enough to fall for it. So basically, I don't see a reason to report the guy or leave negative feedback just yet. Wait until you create some agreement with the seller, or get more response from him, or SOMETHING.
Anna_in_Sweden wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if the buyer decides to go ahead with this that the seller would switch out the diamonds for a cheaper variety, seeing how he feels ripped off. It wouldn't shock me at all. It happens quite often.

Well, I'm not one to know if this happens often or not. However, I do believe that while the seller created the auction and had stated the clarity/cut/color/carat in the auction, it should be the buyers responsibility to have hard copies of this auction. Basically, having a hard copy of the auction enables the buyer to go to a store and have the ring appraised (if need be) and if anything is different than was stated in the auction, the buyer could easily call the seller on it/ sue/ etc. basically take action. Or, to avoid this situation, the seller and buyer could agree to a mutual understanding (in writing) to have a 30 day money back guarantee in which the buyer has the time to go in and get the ring appraised. If anything is suspect to being different than described in the auction, the seller is to take it back with proof of his wrongdoing.

Again, my thoughts Wink.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:55 am      Reply with quote
"He whined about $40. OK, I don't see the huge issue."

It is a huge issue because eBay's policy goes against this. If you don't believe me why don't you pose this question on the eBay community board, "Seller Central" and see what they have to say.

I've had to eat shipping costs in the past because I didn't calculate the total correctly. However, unlike this seller who refuses to accept responsibility, I did. I would never come back and expect the winning bidder to have to pay more in postage for my own mistakes. That's the difference between an ethical seller and this guy apparently. He makes eBay look bad.

"I do believe that while the seller created the auction and had stated the clarity/cut/color/carat in the auction, it should be the buyers responsibility to have hard copies of this auction."

I agree to a point however most buyers will leave feedback to a seller long before they've had a ring such as this appraised. So in the end he gets his positive feedback and if it turns out that the piece is NOT as stated then who is the wiser? The positive feedback is already left!
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:33 pm      Reply with quote
Anna_in_Sweden wrote:
"He whined about $40. OK, I don't see the huge issue."

It is a huge issue because eBay's policy goes against this. If you don't believe me why don't you pose this question on the eBay community board, "Seller Central" and see what they have to say.

EBay policy goes against the fact of mischarging one. This guy hadn't done this. It was stated clearly in the auction that shipping costs will range anywhere from $65 to $105 dollars. The sellers mistake was posting that Canada shipping is $65. Because he had clearly added that fact in his auction, he is basically held liable to account shipping rates to what he had stated. Therefore, if this guy says, "OK, so I want $105 for shipping," the buyer has all the right in the world to state, "Hey, as said in your auction, Shipping to Canada is $65 dollars. You did not specify a certain area, so it is assumed that shipping to ALL of Canada is $65." And there would be the end of the conversation. All this guy can try to argue would include that he didn't specify a specific area by accident, blah , blah, blah. Anyways, After this guy ships the item and says to the buyer, " hey I paid an extra $40 and I'll swallow the costs just for you/ etc.", yes he's putting on blame, HOWEVER he is not MAKING the winner give him the $40. He is simply stating that he payed extra (albeit whining about it).

Anna_in_Sweden wrote:
I've had to eat shipping costs in the past because I didn't calculate the total correctly. However, unlike this seller who refuses to accept responsibility, I did. I would never come back and expect the winning bidder to have to pay more in postage for my own mistakes. That's the difference between an ethical seller and this guy apparently. He makes eBay look bad.

Like you said, that IS the difference between ethical and unethical sellers. Not everyone can just let things go just because it's the right thing to do.

Anna_in_Sweden wrote:
"I do believe that while the seller created the auction and had stated the clarity/cut/color/carat in the auction, it should be the buyers responsibility to have hard copies of this auction."

I agree to a point however most buyers will leave feedback to a seller long before they've had a ring such as this appraised. So in the end he gets his positive feedback and if it turns out that the piece is NOT as stated then who is the wiser? The positive feedback is already left!

That's why you hold off on leaving feedback Laughing, lol. If buying jewelry off of EBay, I think it should be a mandatory thing to go and get it appraised. Just an opinion though.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:04 am      Reply with quote
My experience in buying jewellery has never been good on ebay- item never looks like what the picture and description portrays.

I've bought 3 times (one of which was a costume jewellery and that was pretty good for $9AUD). But a pearl ring and a silver + amber necklace I purchased were real disappointments. I personally think ebay is more of a garage sale and it's better to buy from a reputed online jewellery dealers than go through ebay. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:22 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |