Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Viz-1000 Intensive Hydrating Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin TL Advanced Light Tightening Neck Cream (50 ml) NuFace Gel Primer (5 fl oz / 148 ml)
Hormonal acne...when will it end?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
I am starting to get really scared. I never had zits until now at age 54. My occasional break outs have steadily increased in the last 4 months and now I can't even count all the zits. My normally beautiful skin is a freakin' mess and getting worse and worse. Crying or Very sad I can't even use my Tazorac because my face is so dry from the teensy little bit of benzoyl peroxide I am applying to the spots. I don't know if I should increase or decrease my bio identical hormones. I've never had a hormonal test, but am heading in that direction. Has anyone had this problem and found a "cure?" Has anyone tried a bio-identical hormone called Bi-est?
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
I use ISC Active Serum on my hormonal acne break outs.. And camellia oil as a moisturizer. My skin has never been better like this before. Surprised
I'm really lemming Naturderm's products though.. You can check out the review page?

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=18721&highlight=naturdemx

Sorry to hear this.. I hope you'll find your remedy soon!
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hi mountaingirl - Have you ever tried any glycolic treatments? When I went through the only period in my life when I had acne, I was older too (I'm also 54). A product that really helped me then was MD Forte Skin Rejuvenation Lotion II. It's a combination of glycolic acid and retinol. But I'm sure there are many other similar options. BTW, I could never tolerate Rx retinoids -- I tried and tried but my skin would be perpetually dry and irritated, no matter how many times I tinkered with application.

I've never undergone HRT or any alternatives so I can't offer any insights on that score. But I think mature skin doesn't naturally exfoliate quite as frequently as it does when younger, and that plus hormonal flux causes this problem. For me, simply using a suitable product that helped reduce that crusty outer layer of skin was enough to make a difference.

Good luck!
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I would get rid of the benzoyle peroxide and reach for glycolics and/or salycic acid instead.

I really like the acne serum by Ice Elements as it contains a pharmaceutical grade of aloe that is very soothing and healing, in addition to the salycic acid.

Are you using a gentle exfoliation product as well? If not, you will want to add one as keeping the dead surface skin cells from clogging your pores and removing the excess sebum is a big part of getting rid of acne.

Take care.
Bosoxy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
Go to a dr. I dont think its normal to break out at that age.Your hormones might be off. At our age we are supposed to be fighting wrinkles, not pimples.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
Mountain Girl, I've been there, and it is not a pretty place to me. Nothing, IMO, is worse than having your skin slide from the occasional break out to a face full of raging, out of control, hormonal blemishes. Unfortunately, once you lose control of your skin like that, it can take a long time to rein it in, and even when you do you'll then be battling scars. I advice to get aggressive with it as soon as possible. Forget about the BP and hie thee to a dermatologist. Mine put me on BOTH antiobiotics and aldactone, which is an androgen-blocker. I don't like taking pills, but I really felt like I didn't have a lot of choice in the matter. Even after starting the meds, my skin was still so awful that I had to get a series of cortisone shots in my face and go on a few rounds of prenisone, UGH!!! (I'm hoping it won't come to that for you.) Also, keep on with the topicals as much as you can manage. Try going to a lighter dose of Taz so your skin won't be as dry, and also consider Finacea which is Azelaic acid-- it's WONDERFUL for inflammation. Lastly, start fighting the post-breakout red marks NOW. The combination of Chrysalyx and EpidermxII made a difference in my scars in just a week, AND the EpidermxII made my taz work better too, so I highly recommend both of them. And of course, it sounds like you need a powderful moisturizer that won't clog your pores--- I swear by Chrysalyx, Naturdermx, and Zenbiotic's Moisture Enrich. Last but not least, stop using regular makeup and try using only MMU for a while, as that will also help calm the break outs. Hang in there--- we're here for you!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
Bosoxy wrote:
Hi,

I would get rid of the benzoyle peroxide and reach for glycolics and/or salycic acid instead.

I really like the acne serum by Ice Elements as it contains a pharmaceutical grade of aloe that is very soothing and healing, in addition to the salycic acid.

Are you using a gentle exfoliation product as well? If not, you will want to add one as keeping the dead surface skin cells from clogging your pores and removing the excess sebum is a big part of getting rid of acne.

Take care.
Bosoxy.

I think the problem with the BP products are that people don't know when to stop using them. I have to use the B Kamins acne gel to stop a break out and then before I dry my skin out switch to the Ice Elements acne serum. If I don't start with the BP product I take forever to heal.
HeartChakra

Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
I can't even use my Tazorac because my face is so dry from the teensy little bit of benzoyl peroxide I am applying to the spots.

Benzoyl peroxide is not thebest thing for hormonal acne. In addition, it's pro-oxidant so it's very harsh on the skin. I can't tolerate BP, but I can use Taz without problems. If I were you, I'd ditch the BP and try Taz or retin a...just a couple nights a week at first. Have you thought about HRT? My mom uses it and her skin is AMAZING.
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
HeartChakra wrote:
mountaingirl wrote:
I can't even use my Tazorac because my face is so dry from the teensy little bit of benzoyl peroxide I am applying to the spots.

Benzoyl peroxide is not thebest thing for hormonal acne. In addition, it's pro-oxidant so it's very harsh on the skin. I can't tolerate BP, but I can use Taz without problems. If I were you, I'd ditch the BP and try Taz or retin a...just a couple nights a week at first. Have you thought about HRT? My mom uses it and her skin is AMAZING.

What does HRT stand for? Surprised
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl, I'm sorry to hear you're going through such a tough time with your skin. I went through a similar bout of hormonal acne (lasting about 5 months) when I quit the pill and my hormones went out of whack. I agree with everything manslayerliz said, in fact we were both battling hormonal acne at the same time and she was of great help. I found BP very uneffective when it comes to hormonal acne. What worked for me was a topical antibiotic called Sulfacet-R, which is very effective for deep, big, painful cysts. I chose to ask for a prescription for it after researching on acne.org. The main reason i opted for this med was because it was not associated with the drying and purging side effects of retinoids, and that it was good for cystic type acne. it helped significantly during the worst outbreak (6 giant cysts on my chin), but i also focused on getting my hormones back on track. I took a daily dose of a vitamin-b strength complex (with added vit c), zinc and magnesium. These nutrients are found to be depleted during consumption of the Pill. My acne improved steadily so I got lazy for a month when i ran out of my supplements and stopped taking them and so my hormonal acne returned. Since your hormonal issue is not caused by the pill i highly recommend seeing a doctor and getting your hormones tested. It could be PCOS, in which case Aldactone (the androgen-blocker that Liz mentioned) is found to be effective. It's been almost a year since quitting the pill and i'm pleased to say i'm 100% clear at this point, except for the odd pimple that pops up during my period. I have stopped using the topical antibiotic since prolonged use might diminish effectiveness, and instead I use ISC Active Serum, which is a AHA/BHA combo that is lethal in controlling acne and fading marks. Based on Liz's review I have also ordered EpidermxII to speed scar fading. The most important thing for you now is to find a moisturizer that doesn't exacerbate your acne, and you've gotten lots of good suggestions on here. Hang in there and keep us posted!
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
seconding (thirding or fourthing really) A B complex with zinc, and step AWAY from the benzoyl peroxide.

I have not found sulfur very effective for my hormonal acne, but Fresh's umbrian clay treatment or Mario Badescu Drying Cream (another clay based cream, not really that drying) work well without turning my face into a desert.

But what will make the most difference is an androgen blocker.

There have been some people that say lots of soy isoflavones mimic estrogen, so drink a few glasses of soy milk a day -- can't hurt!
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:07 am      Reply with quote
You all are great! Thank you for the tips. I copied all of them down and am going to change my regimen. I've already tossed the Benzoly Peroxide. I really appreciate the support because this has been really scarey for me. I am amazed how little there is on the Internet about treating late life hormonal acne. You all turned out to be the best source!
Sidda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:43 am      Reply with quote
Poohlisey --

HRT= hormone replacement therapy

A menopause thing. Your time will come. . . Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:08 am      Reply with quote
Sidda wrote:
Poohlisey --

HRT= hormone replacement therapy

A menopause thing. Your time will come. . . Laughing

Lol. Thanks for telling me! Razz
LizaA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:50 am      Reply with quote
Last year I started breaking out from hormonal fluctuation and currently on Diane. I have noticed some improvement but still do breakout. Doctors have told me that I should get pregnant at my age and the reason why my hormones are going wild is because I haven't been pregnant. Laughing

I am certainly not advocating this as a cure though!! Very Happy
Smoky1
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
lucyluc wrote:
Go to a dr. I dont think its normal to break out at that age.Your hormones might be off. At our age we are supposed to be fighting wrinkles, not pimples.

Yes, it is normal! (So says my doc...)
Often women don't realize how important the hormonal balance is, and in fact most other hormones can play havoc with our bodies in many different ways. I'm 57 and in perimenopause I noticed lots of changes to my skin.

I agree with everyone else that BP is not the way to treat acne in mature women. And, of course, each of us has unique skin properties so its a developing process to find a solution that works for each of us.

Lots of good suggestions here, that I will take under advisement, too!

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:27 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Glominerals Contour Kit - Medium to Dark (13.2 g / 0.46 oz) Obagi Retinol 1.0 Cream (28 g) NuFace Gel Primer (5 fl oz / 148 ml)