Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Mabsy, a question for you
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
doinita
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:03 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mabsy,
Even if you are at the other end of the world(I am in Canada), I have a question for you.First of all, I would like to tell you, that even if you are very young, you take care of your skin which it is very good, and you know a lot about cosmetics, and I appreciate this so much.
Here is my question:if you would be in your early 40s, with melasma on your face, a combination type of skin,oily on T-zone, but not too much, not too many wrinkles, what products will you use in am and pm?
I hope that you accept this challenge.
Doinita
Mabsy

Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:26 am      Reply with quote
Hi Doinita wave

I love how the Internet breaks down geographical boundaries and makes communication a breeze! Cool Well, I'm in Australia, I'm 27, and have always been rather fascinated with skincare for some reason. I guess you can say it's a hobby of mine Smile There are so many things that I don't know, which is partly why I like this forum so much. I always learn something new here.

Hmm, that is a tough question but let me take a stab at this. I'm warning you though that I like my beauty routine quite complicated.... Rolling Eyes Also, this is quite hard for me to answer because I like to have lots of variety in my skincare (just in case you couldn't tell Laughing ) so I guess coming up with a set routine and sticking to it would be a bit impossible for me.

So the main concerns are controlling (or hopefully fading) melasma, keeping up the good work on keeping wrinkles at bay and maybe trying to normalise the t-zone. I know that hydroquinone is used to fade melasma (e.g. PTR Potent Skin Lightening Gel Complex and also prescription meds as well) but there are also natural alternatives and I would surely go for one of those. I would go for a product that has Kojic Acid in it (my choice would most probably be Skinceuticals Phyto+ because of the reviews I've read). On top of that, I would also add a vitamin C serum (I'm very happy with the 20% Vivier serum I'm using but I'd like to try the one with Kinetin or Skinceuticals C+E next time). The idea behind the addition of the vit C serum is to help brighten the skin but it's also a great antioxidant and helps to keep the wrinkles at bay (or delays them at least). So I guess those would be my main "treatment" products.

I imagine I would still use Dermalogica Microfoliant (which, again, just happens to have skin brightening ingredients Smile) and also Dr Hauschka Cleansing Cream (which is my newest fave product at the moment - bye bye blackheads! Bad Grin ). With the use of the Vit C serum, I'd need a hydrating gel too otherwise my skin would be a tad unhappy. I'm using MD Formulations Advanced Hydrating Gel when I use vit C serums nowadays, but I do prefer the Skinceuticals B5 gel instead though (I'm just using up what I've got at the moment). I'm sure there are other brands that make these as well.

The eye cream is a no brainer... I imagine I would still be using Cellcosmet then Laughing Mind you, the Babor Sensational Eyes is really good and the Shiseido Benefiance (sp?) one is very good if you are dry around the eye area (it's a rather thick cream).

Moisturiser - hmm that I'm not sure about. I'm using just a standard moisturiser at the moment (Dermalogica Sheer Tint actually) but I'm sure I would step that up to something more "serious". I recently bought a bottle of Valmont Bio Cellular serum and I really like that. It's moisturising enough to be used by itself for oilier skins as well. So maybe that, maybe Cellcosmet UltraVital or maybe something with collagen in it. Sorry, as you can see I'm not quite decided on this one, I'm sure other people will have plenty of suggestions though.

So my rough "if I were in my 40s...." plan would probably look something like:

AM:
Dermalogica Microfoliant
Vit C serum (20% in my case or a C+E or C+Kinetin)
Skinceuticals Phyto+
Hydrating gel (probably B5 gel)
Eye Cream
Moisturiser
Sunblock (Skinceuticals Ultimate UV Defense)

PM
Cleanser (there are heaps that would suit combo skin, YonKa Gel Nettoyant is very nice and refreshing, Dermalogica Dermal Clay Cleanser is nice too; but there's lots and lots more!)
Dr Hauschka Cleansing Cream (doesn't remove makeup, hence the need for the separate cleanser)
Eye Cream (probably Cellcosmet)
Moisturiser (and possibly some Decleor oil (Neroli) underneath)

Also every so often I would use Decleor Essential Balm for a week or so, instead of the moisturiser at night.

Sorry, this is such a long post and it's STILL vague! Hopefully others will come up with their recommendations. I didn't list things like a toner or a mask. I think, like cleansers, there are many good choices in these two categories but some people don't like using them or are not used to using them. However, Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Recovery mask is good and I hear that the Dr Hauschka Rejuventaing one is great too (though I haven't tried this one.... yet! Smile). Valmont Renewing Pack is great as a "pick me up" mask. In terms of toners, I like Phytomer and the Dr Hauschka one, but I'm about to try a Carita one that was recommended to me. I'll let you know how i go with that one.

Again, sorry for the long and somewhat unorganised post. In my defense though - you ask hard questions! Razz

Mabsy
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:18 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy! Wow, no wonder your skin is so pretty. I'm taking a stab at this one only because I am in my 40's and it sounds like we have had the same problems....

In AM:
C+ Firming Serum (cellularskinrx.com) - melasma, pores, texture, t-zone, protection from UV and pollutants

DCX Eye Brightening Serum (naturalskincare.com) - dark undereye circles

Relax-A-Line Serum - (cellularskinrx.com) - crow's feet and frown lines, upper lip vertical lines

Banana Boat Active Sport SPF 48 - (any drugstore) - as makeup base and moisturizer

Nivea CoQ10 Eye Creme - (any drugstore) - as eye cream

Pop a couple of C and E vitamins, too.

In Evening:
Alternate Retin-A 0.025% with Alpha Hydrox cream each night - shrink pores, hyperpigmentation, keep breakouts away

DCX Serum - for the undereye circles

Nivea CoQ10- again for eyes.

Cleansers: Nothing fancy. Neutrogena Pore Refining with Micro-beads and AHA's. Maybe once each week St. Ives Apricot scrub. I also use those "rough gloves" to wash my face each time.

Occasionally: Jojoba Oil all over face if I feel like I'm getting that schizoid dry and oily at same time thing happening. seems to settle it down.

And that's it.
Hope that helps!
Mabsy

Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I'm slowly narrowing down to my Holy Grail set of products. But I really do enjoy skincare (plus I have time to muck around with it all Smile) so I can't see myself narrowing down too much...

The DCX Eye Brightening Serum sounds good! *adds to the "to try list"* How are you going with it and could you please tell me what size it comes in? I couldn't find that info anywhere on their website.

This purchase is going to have to wait because I'm about to start using the Cellex-C Eye serum but I definitely want to try this in the future. Pity about their ridiculous international shipping charge Confused Flat rate US$19.95 is great if you're buying a lot of stuff but not if you're buying one tiny little bottle. Oh well, I'm sure I'll cave sooner or later and pay for it anyway Rolling Eyes

Mabsy
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
Ouch! $19.95!!!
The DCX has to be used for about 8 weeks before it shows any results. Apparently, the ingredients - soy peptides, hydrolyzed wheat protein, and oxidosp?reductases sp? work by improving circulation thus brightening the area and getting rid of puffiness. I notice an effect immediately but I think it is due to the hyaluronic acid and seaweed extract base they use. I think it moisturizes and tightens up that area and thus more light is reflected back and it appears that my circles aren't as dark. I'm waiting to see if they "really" go away instead of just enjoying the temporary illusion. I'll let you know how it goes....only on week one now. I love the skincare stuff, too, but now with a little one running around here just don't have the time to play with all the color pots and magic creams....Have to live vicariously through the forum!
rebelgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Have to live vicariously through the forum!

I find I do this a lot too. It's like at least I know what I should be doing and I'm keeping up with the latest products. But I find I just don't seem to be that good at keeping to a routine myself.

I've been registered a while with this forum but only posted a couple of times.

Nice to hear you all though Wink
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, for the days wandering through Sephora, dazzled by the rainbow of eyeshadows and lipsticks and glosses and eye pencils and perfumes....and then to Saks to admire the ridiculously priced dept. store brands but with all the fancy packaging and the strange looking girls behind the counters with the "lips that look like they are floating in a Dali painting..." Then to the Luxe Spa to admire the $200 recycled jeans with the strategically-placed rhinestones and ribbon and baby-t's with things like "Kiss me" on them over brad pitt's face....

It's been raining too much here. Time for me to get out and get a life, eh? Laughing
Mabsy

Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:41 am      Reply with quote
Ah Sephora.... how I miss it! Crying or Very sad

I'd love to hear how you go with the DCX. Only one way I'm going to spend $19.95 on postage for a little bottle - and that's if someone has good things to say about it! Smile
doinita
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:43 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy, thank you very much for your answer.That's nice from you.Let me tell you what I am using now, so for a while, I will try to finish my stock of products.So,in am:
cleanser-Cellcosmet
toner-Cellcosmet
Serum-Swissline
Moisturizer light-Swissline
Eye cream-Cellcosmet cream
Sun screen-Guinot-SPF30
Radiance Concentre-Dior
and after all of this Diorskin Eclat Satin
in pm:
cleanser Cellcosmet
activator Cellcosmet(I just love this)
toner Cellcosmet
Lightening Elasto-Collagen-xt-Cellcosmet
Lightening Cream-Cellcosmet
Eye cream Cellcosmet

Exfoliant-Cellcosmet
Mask-Stone Crop Eminence and a lot of clay mask prepared by my self.For ex now, I have on my face: tomatos, strawberries,clay powder, olive oil and lemon juice.Ha!Sometimes I do with yellow eggs and clay powder.
However, after I finish this products I will try Skinceuticals, for sure.I am not satisfied about how these products work with melasma.
Thanks again Mabsy, you are wonderful and I do love the fact that you take care of your skin .
Doinita
Mabsy

Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:24 am      Reply with quote
You're most welcome. That was just my opinion though, but I strongly believe in vit C serums.

Wow, you're obviously a fellow Cellcosmet fan! I haven't tried as many products as you have but I love the eye cream! What do you think of the other products? Have you tried the Ultra Vital? That and the eye cream seem to be the products most often mentioned. I still haven't tried the UV though.

Mabsy
Gucci
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:18 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy

you mentioned above Dr Hauschka Cleansing Cream, and said "bye bye blackheads"....does this really work??...I might have to invest in some as I have a few at the side of my nose that are so stubborn.

I was going to buy the Gatineau sachets ( the ones you mix) forgot the name but might try the Dr H if you think it works?

Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:27 am      Reply with quote
Gucci,

Well, what can I say. This worked VERY well for me, but as always, different products different people. However, in all honesty, after two weeks of religious use (and following the cleansing "ritual" as instructed) I really did see a significant improvement on my nose. I just looked at it one morning and thought, "wow that's much better!". The good thing is that a tube of this costs $25, which will last you about 7 weeks. So at least it's not an expensive investment to see if it works for you. Be aware that I did have a bit of a break out in the first few days of using this though (nothing major, but I don't usually have break out problems).

Which Gatineau product are you talking about? I don't think I've heard of it but it sounds interesting....

Mabsy
Gucci
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:31 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy

Its called Deep Cleansing Foam, this is the hype about it..
Salon cleansing system in your own home! This exclusive purifying complex is especially effective at controlling oily skins, removing blackheads and reducing high levels of sebum. Just mix together the supplied liquid and powder to produce a gently astringent foam, then massage over your face with the special brush. Rinse off - your skin will feel softer and look stunning.

Its £19 in England..

I've often heard people rave about Dr H products but never used any myself..

Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:51 am      Reply with quote
Thank you, found it; Formula Effervescent - Deep Cleansing Foam.... "Feel the tingle and fizz of tiny bubbles..." Shock I hope that EDS will end up stocking this! I so don't need any other products but I must try anything that tingles and fizzes (if only just for that! Smile). Embarassed This is supposed to be used once a week though, as opposed to the Dr H being a product gentle enough to use twice daily.

Mabsy
Gucci
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:52 am      Reply with quote
Think I'll try Dr H first as it's the gentle one...plus I've never tried any of their products before!...

Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I guess a daily product seems to make more sense (to me). Seeing as our skin produces oil on a daily basis. I'd much rather gently "clean out" my pores daily rather than let them accumulate stuff and then use a strong blackhead product weekly. I think you can only use the Gatineau once a week, plus it only comes with six sachets of the stuff you need to mix in. Still tempted to try it though Rolling Eyes

I hope the Dr H works for you as well as it's worked for me (if you end up trying it).

Have a lovely weekend,
Mabsy
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:53 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |