Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Mineral Oil in Skincare.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
aureate
5% products discount

Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:51 am      Reply with quote
I have a lotiong that has Mineral Oil in it as well as Beeswax and Shea Butter.
Sorry if it has been asked already but I thought that Mineral Oil was bad for your skin esp. face. Embarassed
Can anyone verify? Thank you.
dalguy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:37 am      Reply with quote
I tend to avoid it for face because it's occlusive. This sort of "suffocation" gives me acne.
Mineral oil is not bad, it's actually quite good. Mostly because it's helpful for people with dry skin and it is non-reactive for almost everyone.

I don't think I'd use a facial lotion with beeswax, shea butter and mineral oil. That sounds really rich. Where are they on the ingredient list? This sounds like a body lotion...
SourApple
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:40 am      Reply with quote
Those ingredients don't sound like something I'd wash my face with Embarassed Especially the beeswax..?
aureate
5% products discount

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:47 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies. Smile
Actually they are ingredients of Embryolisse Lait Creme Concentre (24hour miracle cream in English).
App. all top models and those in the know use this for face lotion and primer. I have somewhat dry skin but it's very light in my opinion and you can also use it as a cleanser which I don't.
I hadn't read the ingredient list til this morning and suddenly got a bit hesitant.
This is what it says;

An association of shea butter, beeswax and mineral oil to nourish and reconstitute the cutaneous barrier and plant extracts with strong hydrating power.

I have used it for about 2 weeks and it hasn't affected me badly at all or broke me out like all other products I tried but mineral oil sounded strange to me.
Also, someone said that you shouldn't wash your face with a cleanser twice a day as it might make your skin break out. Is that true? Does anyone wash their face in the morning with just water? Rolling Eyes
dalguy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:37 am      Reply with quote
"nourish and reconstitute the cutaneous barrier"

Considering the ingredients, that's not far from the truth actually.

I don't know the full ingredient list, but I personally wouldn't use it on my skin. I am prone to acne.
If you have dry skin, no doubt those ingredients would be helpful. If you're not having any problems then by all means continue using it.

As far as washing more than twice a day: Washing more can sometimes cause irritation but not necessarily acne. You have dry skin so I wouldn't wash it more than twice a day or so because you can make it even worse...but in a general sense washing more than twice a day does not cause acne.
Adonis
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:07 am      Reply with quote
I think the topic of mineral oil in skin care has been discussed extensively. A search will bring up many wonderful and heated discussions.
aureate
5% products discount

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
thank you both.
maybe it wasn't clear but i had read that if you use cleanser twice a day, it's bad for your face and to only use any sort of cleanser once a day.
also, i had searched mineral oil but it's sooo hard to sift through mounds of threads esp. since none i saw was titled mineral oil but embedded in other threads.
thank you tho.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
aureate wrote:
I have a lotiong that has Mineral Oil in it as well as Beeswax and Shea Butter.
Sorry if it has been asked already but I thought that Mineral Oil was bad for your skin esp. face. Embarassed
Can anyone verify? Thank you.

Mineral oils give products slip and glide, they have no skin benefit and can irritate sensitive skins and aggravate spotty skin conditions.
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
Mineral oil clogs my pores. Sad
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
yes, it is a personal thing when it comes to mineral oil. i have reacted to it all my life!

in my opinion, you should pay attention to what your skin likes, and you should absolutely love what you put on your skin day and night. there are enough products out there, you can find them! just because models use a product doesn't mean the product is amazing.

most young models have superhumanly perfect skin anyways, so maybe all they need is a little mineral oil and they are good to go! a lot of them use 8 hr cream as well, which is basically just mineral oil.

in the end, it depends on your skin, but there are so many amazing concoctions out there, why choose a refined petrochemical when you can put rose oil on your skin?

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
aureate
5% products discount

Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:51 am      Reply with quote
my skin has never been better but i will keep a close watch on it for any signs! Smile
thanks for all your helpful info~

how is rose oil on your face? some stupid chanel lady told me that some are allergic to rose oil and that's why i broke out.
god, do i hate bad info...

and who makes good face rose oil? Embarassed

i would really love to use jurlique line ever since i got an amazing facial in asia but was hesitant. i figured i am not the most clean living person and i just might break out badly on such pure products. Rolling Eyes
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:30 am      Reply with quote
aureate wrote:
my skin has never been better but i will keep a close watch on it for any signs! Smile
thanks for all your helpful info~

how is rose oil on your face? some stupid chanel lady told me that some are allergic to rose oil and that's why i broke out.
god, do i hate bad info...

i would really love to use jurlique line ever since i got an amazing facial in asia but was hesitant. i figured i am not the most clean living person and i just might break out badly on such pure products:roll:

aureate,

some people are allergic to rose, others have allergies to mineral oil. For myself, and for most dry-skinned individuals who are prone to sensitivity issues, rose is a godsend. It is extremely nourishing and protective. I use Epicuren's rose otto mixed with HA and a light moisturizer; I also am recently in love with Weleda's rose oil capsules, which, if I'm not mistaken, have rosewood oil, rosehip seed oil, and other oils as well. I find a combination of rosewood and rose otto to be fabulous--you have to be careful with rosehip seed oil, however. Too much is not a good thing--some users have reported roughness and congestion. You will see that most cleansers for dry/sensitive skin have rosewater bases or have some form of rosewood or rosehip seed oil. I used to hate the scent of roses because I thought they were so old ladyish. Now that I know it is good for my skin, I love the scent!

Don't listen to that Chanel lady--it was most likely a host of other chemicals that your skin reacted to, not rose otto. and anyways, I'm pretty sure that Chanel uses artificial perfumes for their rose scent--I cannot use many of their products because they are so heavily perfumed. HTH!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:32 am      Reply with quote
Quote:

i would really love to use jurlique

I've heard great things about Jurlique. I really like Epicuren's rose otto but any good organic supplier would do! Just look for "rose otto." A tiny bottle will last a long time--a few drops can add a luxuriant and nourishing boost to any cream.

--avalange

Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:16 am      Reply with quote
I don't have reaction to most ingredients. My skin is very tough. But, my BFF avoid mineral oil like a plague. She has oily skin.

I always wash my face twice a day with cleanser and I even exfoliate everyday otherwise my skin doesn't feel clean enough.

5% products discount

Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:47 am      Reply with quote
i guess it really depends on the type of skin what you can and cannot use.

i've been obsessed with looking at saffronrouge site for a while but never took the step to get anything as i am nervous about reactions to the natural products. Embarassed
i think they are more overpriced but i remember seeing weleda oils.

i will try the rose oil very soon. i absolutely love the smell of roses but in products, they tend to be too pungent. i use REN body wash that has rose otto and have tried also their rose face wash which helped a lot with blackheads but just kind of forgot about it. maybe i will try again. Razz
amylola
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:22 am      Reply with quote
I use the Rose Facial Oil from mountainroseherbs.com, I really like it. I use it at night mixed with Argan oil from GOW. THis mixture works well.
Harmonster
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
I know mineral oil has a bad rep, but just about everything breaks me out and I could swim around in a vat of mineral oil without ill effects!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
Just wanted to say that I am enjoying:

CAUDALIE Moisturizing Concentrate - dry skin .5oz $39
http://www.caudalie-usa.com/site/page/pg389-de180-pr2411-pn_Moisturizing_Concentrate.html
Moisturizing and nourishing grapeseed, jojoba and sesame oils; draining palmarosa essential oil; regenerating rosewood and rose essential oils. I also like the Caudalie Dry Skin Mask sample I got. But you can probably get something similar cheaper at DIY sites.

I sometimes buy Wyndmere essential oilswww.wyndmerenaturals.com (carried at the local Whole Foods) - some of which come prediluted like rose otto in jojoba, sandalwood in jojoba, neroli in jojoba, chamomile in jojoba, and jasmine in jojoba.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
Mineral oils clog my pores too. I agree you have to find what best suits your skin. Good luck!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
I'm fine with mineral oil, but for me the evil oil is coconut oil. Even a little gives me a nasty rash. When I was a kid we used suntan oil that was loaded with coconut oil--my mother thought I was allergic to the chlorine in the pool. It wasn't till years later that I figured out it was the coconut oil! I can eat coconut just fine, though...
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
I really love camellia oil. Very Happy
aureate
5% products discount

Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
ooh camellia oil sounds amazing Smile
never heard of that one.

yeah, so far, even w/ m.oil product, i have never had better skin so i am a little purplexed but i think during summer, i should avoid it.

i always wondered about caudalie line. let me go check that out too. Surprised
LizaA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
I don't necessarily think mineral oil is all that bad. It's cheap and it doesn't sound pleasant but I have noticed that for my niece who suffers from atopic dermatitis and eczema nothing works better than sorborlene (which is pretty much 80% parrafin (type of mineral oil)and 10% glycerin).

But if you have an overactive sebaceous gland then you'd be better off avoiding any products that occlude the skin. Generally, the process of a healthy sebaceous gland is that it produces oil and sweat that travels up the hair to the surface of the skin to lubricate it, if you're particularly overactive you'd want to avoid occluding the pores and hindering this process.
aureate
5% products discount

Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
you are all so full of info.
i just got myself aesop's face oil. my skin has been so flaky with dry patches and chin breakouts, i had to get some oil to see if it helps overnight.
i also got dermalogica daily exfoliant since it's the best there is Smile
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
I always got cystic acne from mineral oil. My skin also had an oily film to it. It was terrible!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:45 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |