Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Want 2 reduce actives frequency- min. tretinoin application?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
I read Molly's post below today about laying off all acids and irritating actives for a while. She mentioned a website by Dr.Huber http://www.302skincare.com/

After reading this, I decided to go with a routine that is the least irritating, while still using retinoids and AHA, but less frequent.

I would like to use it in a way to make progress in terms of stimulating collagen and elastin over time until I reach the full effect. I want to do this in a way that may take longer, but will still get me there.

My question, how often does one have to use retinoids to keep progressing and to get the results of optimum colagen/elastin production possible for the individual in the end?

I dont care if it takes 6 months or two years, as long as I get there eventually and prevent unnecessary irritation.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks Smile
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:56 am      Reply with quote
I seriously doubt anyone has a definitive answer to that Monica because Dr Huber's theory is really the antithesis of what's promoted and trials seem to rely on daily application. Going by his theory I'm extremely responsive to retinoids so I'm going to LOWER Shock the percentage and try Retrinal 0.25% twice a week (eventually after 6-8 weeks of recovery). I know m.april only uses Avene maybe twice a week and she says she can see cell turnover.

I'd really consider ditching the Retin A and using the Avene based Retinaldehyde products though; so much less irritating on application and proven almost as effective in research.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:44 am      Reply with quote
If I use Retrinal (.05% on eyes, .1% on face) two days in a row once a week, I get some very mild peeling. Not sure if this would help to create any dramtic improvements, even over time, but then I don't need drama.
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
I had bee using LA, Vit c and DMAE AM until two days ago. I used Retin A 0.05% and DMAE PM. It left my skin always a little flushed looking - not bad, but its not a good sign as I now know. Then some days it looked pretty red and was itchy. So, I gave it a complete rest for a day , no actives at all.

Since this morning, I laid off the DIY Vit C and DMAE serum. I am actually fine if I only use LA serum with pH3.5. In the past I tried DY 10% LA pH1.9 and it was very irritating. So, I raised the pH t o 3.5 with pH paper and a little triethanolamine and baking soda.

This evening I used the Retin A but no DMAE either. So fr so good.

I think I may be able to use Retin A daily, making sure to use only a small pea size to cover face and neck. I figure, i only have to do this for one year anyhow, and then I can maintain on 2-3 times a week. So, its not as if I will have to use it daily forever, even if thats somewhat irritating, its worth the increases in collagen and elastin! Smile

I never had problems using AHA daily, before I started using Retin A three months ago, as long as its not to low pH. PH3.5 works well, and is what PC products are also. I used to use her's but prefer a lactic acid which she doesnt sell unfortunately. Its more moisturizing and milder . I thikn thats why it works well even with Retin A. So far at least Smile
amylola
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
I used green cream 6 about a year ago for about 4 months, my skin became a WRECK, I then switched to retinA and it was better, but stil constantly flaking/red/peeling. I stopped using it, and took a break from all retinoids for about 3 months, and got my skin back to normal, clear, balanced. I got Avene Ystheal and Eluage in a package from Tubotica about 2 weeks ago. Started the Ystheal for 2 nights on, 1 night off, been doing this for about 2 weeks, and my skin is still NICE. NO peeling, no redness, no irritation, no purging. I can't beleive it, this stuff is great. I am so happy that I can finally use a retinoid product again. I'm not sure what makes this stuff so much less irritating but it truly does work.
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:43 am      Reply with quote
I posted this on Mollys post below as well, but thought I copy it to my onw post as well as an update.

After reading some posts of others I decided to drop all acids for now. I only used a 10% AHA at pH 3.5/4 but it never felt right on my skin either. Anything lower gives me severe redness. But even this seems to irritate my skin. I hear people say that a serum at that ph and concentration does nothing, and those seem to be people with oily/acnetic skin. My skin being dry doesnt like it.

I WILL continue the Retin A at only 0.05%, because I dont get irritated unless I add a AHA to the mix. I will exfoliate the flakes with a soft microfiber faacial cloth only. I noticed that after laying off the DMAE which I used to put on AM and PM, that my flakes are very light.

Besides increasing the peeling for me - likely due to its drying effect - I think DMAE is also not good for dry skin maybe, because it also added severly to the rdness during midday suddenly on my face. Its not an acid, but seems still aggressive.

I like the benefits of increasing collagen and elastin which has been prooven in terms of retinoids, so this will be my active of choice. I have no problem using it every day if I dont use other sensitizing actives, so this tell me that my skin is okay with it. The MAIN thing is that I know I only have to use it daily for a limited time, and then I can cut back drastically to 2-3 times weekly for maintenance.

Lastly, I too fall in the category of having been low maintenacne all my life. I didnt start until the age of 38 to start a "serious" skincare routine! This makes me think as s.o. said before. I have great skin, no lines, wrinkles, firm, no blotchyness, acne, nothing. The rason I started taking better care of my skin is to PREVENT aging as much as possible. Sooo - the anti infalmmatory route seems to make sense to me Very Happy

I truly believe more and more that we seriously have to listen to our skin and not try to deal with any obvious irritation of ANY sort to get "used" to it. JMO Smile
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:01 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |