Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Going back to natural nails
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
cathy_jean
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:15 am      Reply with quote
For the past two years I've had silk wraps on my nails, but I'd really like to go back to my natural nails.

What has stopped is how damaged my nails are underneath. But I've decided to "bite the bullet". They would be due for a fill now, and instead, I cut the silk wraps down to the quick, thinking the less attention I draw to my hands right now, the better. I'm thinking I'll leave them covering the rest of my nails as long as possible before I soak them off with acetone.

If anyone has ever gone through this and if you have any tips to share about how to get through this "ugly stage" before the nails grow out, I'd really appreciate it!
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:21 am      Reply with quote
Sorry I can't help with advice about the transition to natural nails, but I did lose both big toenails (thanks to some very beautiful, but very evil shoes) several months ago. I found that applying nourishing nail oil to the base, cuticles and nails, plus a Nail, Hair Skin oral supplement from Solgar helped to grow them back faster than would normally have happened.

Best of luck!
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:51 am      Reply with quote
Once you decide to soak the rest of them off I would get some Nailtiques to put on them in addition to taking the supplements.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:19 am      Reply with quote
Dont soak them off!!!! Not only will you dry out your cuticles but it will weaken your nails further. Suck it up and let them grow off, you will thank yourself in the end. You can also go to the nail salon and have them file down the silk wraps so you dont get that weird bump.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
cathy_jean
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for your responses and good advice -- I'm going to get the Solgar Nail Hair & Skin as well as the Nailtique.

I just found this board last week while doing a search on Jan Marini Eyelash Intervention (which was mentioned in Elle magazine). Can you believe that prior to discovering EDS, I searched all over for tips on how to cope with "the transition" and wasn't able to find anything.

From what I've learned from this board, I've already decided how I'm going to spend the money I'm going to save from giving up my Silk Wraps -- on a Clarisonic and a Baby Q! Wink

Thanks again!
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
Never cut your cuticals, or pick them!!
bex
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
I really like NutraNail and it's less expensive than Nailtique.
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
I never used NailTiques.. At the nail salons I worked at, we used NailTek.
http://www.nailtek.com/nail_tek/index.html
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
I recommend NailTek II, since you just stopped having artificial nails.

http://www.nailtek.com/nail_tek/nkII.html
yogi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
I soaked mine off a good 6 years ago. They looked like crap for awhile. But I don't think anyone even noticed. And I'm so glad I did it. Just keep using a really nice hand/nail cream or oil. Good Luck!
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
I'm glad I read this post tonight. I was planning to get a set of nails put on tomorrow. Thanks for talking me out of it!
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:18 pm      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
Sorry I can't help with advice about the transition to natural nails, but I did lose both big toenails (thanks to some very beautiful, but very evil shoes) several months ago.

Oh my gosh....they fell OFF because of your shoes?
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:52 pm      Reply with quote
my sushi secret wrote:
majorb wrote:
Sorry I can't help with advice about the transition to natural nails, but I did lose both big toenails (thanks to some very beautiful, but very evil shoes) several months ago.

I have seen a lot of women with the same situation.. Mad
cathy_jean
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:59 am      Reply with quote
Chrissie wrote:
I'm glad I read this post tonight. I was planning to get a set of nails put on tomorrow. Thanks for talking me out of it!

My nail tech insists that the silk wraps do not damage the nails underneath, but each time the wraps are removed to do a new full set, I can see that the tops of my nails look like they were sanded with a cheese grater!
I would have stopped the silk wraps long ago except that once you start, it is hard to stop. And if I had realized in the beginning that I was making such a long term commitment -- both in $$$ and time spent in the nail salon -- I don't think I ever would have ever done it the first time ... (JMO)
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:18 am      Reply with quote
cathy_jean wrote:

From what I've learned from this board, I've already decided how I'm going to spend the money I'm going to save from giving up my Silk Wraps -- on a Clarisonic and a Baby Q! Wink

Thanks again!

Don't worry, we'll have you bankrupt in no time at all. Just sit back and enjoy the ride! Laughing
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:20 am      Reply with quote
my sushi secret wrote:
majorb wrote:

Sadly, yes. But they are very, very beautiful shoes (leopardskin print Minnie Mouse-stylie killer heels). And I did ask them to go late night partying with me three nights in a row, so I suppose they must have been a bit p'ed off with me and decided to take some dastardly revenge.

Dare I admit that I'm still tempted to wear them again? Embarassed
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:14 am      Reply with quote
Hi Cathy_Jean - welcome to the forum. Like yourself, I spent a few years indulging in expensive artifical nails (IMO they are all fake and damaging, regardless of what you are told). At some point I decided I'd had enough and wanted to go back to my natural nails. So I managed to grow them out only to discover how thin, damaged and ridge-covered they had become - talk about UGLY!!! What has worked well for me to repair the damage is the Trind nail repair product line (www.trind.ca). My nails currently look as normal as I think they ever will again and they have become incredibly strong. Apart from the nail repair 'kits' they offer, Trind also has a fantastic polish called Nail Brightener. It really gives you an instant 'at home' French Manicure look without any of the fuss associated with other brands (think Sally Hansen - yuck!). In fact, I believe there is a rave on this board for the Trind Nail Brightener...it really is a great way to save some money on French Manicures and worth $20/bottle! Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:47 am      Reply with quote
NailTek is really popular here and a few friends swear that it saved their nails. do give it a try Smile

i lost my baby toe nail too. although it grew back, the nail is bumpy with ridges. any solution?!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:36 am      Reply with quote
Alright, that's it, no plastic nails for me! I was going to get nail extensions since it's the chinese new year season but now no way! My nails are weak and paper-thin as they are already - after extensions I'll prob end up with no nails Mad

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Cathy Jean. About 10 years ago I stopped with the silk wraps. It was hard because I did soak them off & my nails were so thin & brittle while they grew out. I think the suggestion of letting them grow out is a way better idea. Good luck!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
snowstar wrote:
NailTek is really popular here and a few friends swear that it saved their nails. do give it a try Smile

i lost my baby toe nail too. although it grew back, the nail is bumpy with ridges. any solution?!

When I broke my big toe nails half, they grew back bumpy and I just buff them with a buffing machine.
snowstar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
a buffing machine? please tell more! btw, where are you living? Smile

sigh, i hope one day my nail will decide to be good and grow smoothly.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
cathy_jean wrote:

Thanks again!

Don't worry, we'll have you bankrupt in no time at all. Just sit back and enjoy the ride! Laughing

I'd like to get sent to a debtors prison for skincare addicts...free samples with good behavior!
praia98
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:50 pm      Reply with quote
c4ward wrote:
Hi Cathy Jean. About 10 years ago I stopped with the silk wraps. It was hard because I did soak them off & my nails were so thin & brittle while they grew out. I think the suggestion of letting them grow out is a way better idea. Good luck!

I have never had fake nails except last June for my cousin's wedding I had to have two done which had broken and wouldn't match the others, so I just ahd a manicure done on the other nails.
i hated but I let them grow off and applied polish to help hide the bump and it took months!! to grow out properly and the two thin nails were breaking alot.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:22 pm      Reply with quote
snowstar wrote:
a buffing machine? please tell more! btw, where are you living? Smile

sigh, i hope one day my nail will decide to be good and grow smoothly.

I used a drilling tool by Dremel. It's something like this http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-750-02-Minimite-4-8-Volt-Cordless/dp/B0000302Y1/sr=1-1/qid=1171688257/ref=sr_1_1/002-0497845-5408032?ie=UTF8&s=hi, except mine was in blue. I bought a buffing head to buff down the nails. I can't find the buffing heads online though!! I'll try to find it for you. If you got thick & bumpy nails, this would be good for it. I used oil and buff out the nails that were bumpy.

http://www.prossalonsupply.com/products/detail.php?product_id=353
Or this looks fine too.. but you need a buffing head.

I live in the US, Texas.
Hth!
Surprised
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:38 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |