Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

The French Manicure
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Caspers Mum

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:16 am      Reply with quote
I never polish my nails, and rarely (if ever) have a manicure done professionally. I prefer pedicures, and manicures don't last very long on my busy hands. Besides, I can do a really good job on my own hands when I need to.

Fortunately, I have nails which grow which grow naturally in a near-perfect "squoval". Filing: rarely necessary. I keep my nails short, if not completely clipped-off.

Healthy, clean nails never go out of style. Little effort is put into my own. In my opinion: unless today's active woman has an event which colour is appropriate, or she has the time to maintain chips & wear, it's usually best to go clear or sheer when polishing the fingernails. Buffing goes a long way too!

Many women view a French manicure (white tips, sheer or clear polish) as "classy". Indeed, it is a very simple, chic look, but as their popularity has increased over the years, the effect has been lost. Too common. Long talons, moulded from acrylic or gel, tips painted white with polish, glazed with a sheer pink or nude. Some embellish these with rhinestones, charms, etc.

Buh.

Polishing the tips with white or nude polish is the common, modern approach to a French manicure. Really hard to apply to one's own nails, and 99.9% of salons in North America use this polish technique.

The true, original French manicure consists of very little polish, if any. Cuticles are groomed. Nails are filed, smoothed, and then buffed to a high shine. However, instead of white polish, white pencil is applied UNDER the tips of the nails, brightening their appearance. Some add clear or sheer polish over the nails, but generally buffed nails shine & increased circulation under the nails adds colour.

This is the look which I prefer. SO easy, inexpensive, and classic looking! A white nail pencil costs about $3.50 (Sally Hansen), and 6-in-1 file/buffer costs about $5 at any drugstore or mass retailer. Guess what else works if you're without a white manicure pencil? A white pencil crayon. Wet the tip, and rub it under your nails. Same effect & longeivity. Voila!
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:20 am      Reply with quote
Bravo!

I must admit that I don't really bother with my nails. My natural clumsiness means that they're always being ripped off anyway (they're also covered in buttery cream emulsion paint at the moment). But your suggestions are something that even I could probably cope with. I shall give them a try.

I have to say that my toenails usually look completely fabulous, though - when they're not falling off, that is.

Thanks, Caspers Mum.
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:25 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip. I've spent bundles on french manicures. Nice to know I can achieve the same at home for next to nothing.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:48 am      Reply with quote
Caspers Mum, 3 Cheers for naturally buffed nails! I used to polish my nails constantly, then about 6 years ago I noticed how gross they looked! Yellow, ridges, peeling, yuchhhh!! Since then I've kept my nails relatively short, using a buffer to bring out the shine - shinier than clear nail polish could ever hope to do, and even better, nails and hands are healthy! I'll have to try that trick with the white pencil, that'll make 'em look even better!
Very Happy

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:46 am      Reply with quote
Thanks CaspersMum,
I have never got a French manicure done before. I think my fingers are too short and chubby to have that white horizontal line across my nails. Silly huh Rolling Eyes But, I do love the classic look. I have been considering getting it done for my wedding date...which can't be any farther away Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
I've always liked the look of a French manicure - such a classic look. I can't be bothered to paint my nails but if I do get the notion, this is the look I usually go for. I also like to apply a very pale transluscent pink polish over top instead of the clear one just to make it look less stark. Very pretty I think.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
I just like clear nail polish on my nails. I don't buff them, as buffing thins out your nails. If I do have my toenails colored, I would go for the cajun red.
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:39 am      Reply with quote
Caspers Mum wrote:
...Many women view a French manicure (white tips, sheer or clear polish) as "classy". Indeed, it is a very simple, chic look, but as their popularity has increased over the years, the effect has been lost. Too common. Long talons, moulded from acrylic or gel, tips painted white with polish, glazed with a sheer pink or nude. Some embellish these with rhinestones, charms, etc.

Buh.

I agree (with everything else you said, too but this part especially)!

When I do, I only paint my nails in solid colours. I don't know exactly why but somehow nails that are too long and embellished in this way give a not-so-pretty impression of the wearer.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:55 am      Reply with quote
Laughing "squovals " !!! I love it!

Thanks for all of those tips, Casper's Mum. I usually go for very light, clear or sheer colors on my finger nubs Wink I love the look of a French manicure and using the white nail pencil may be a way for me to get there, since I don't have much nail space to work with for the white part.
Sundew
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
I almost didn't look in this thread because I never paint my nails Smile
Glad I did! I'm going to try the white pencil. I already use the buffy thing which I think looks just as nice or better than clear polish.
Thanks!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
Sundew wrote:
I almost didn't look in this thread because I never paint my nails Smile
Glad I did! I'm going to try the white pencil. I already use the buffy thing which I think looks just as nice or better than clear polish.
Thanks!

I honestly think a clear nail polish an absolute waste of money, and that a buffer is waywayway better!
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
Is it possible to mess up your nails by buffing too much or incorrectly? I've never used a buffer before.
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:31 am      Reply with quote
The general rule is that you don't 'sandpaper' your nails with the buffer, which will make your nails thin and fragile. Buffers usually come with 3 textured sides, the first two of which you should use gently and infrequently because the purpose is to remove ridges and stains. The last side that serves to only give shine is the one you can use as often as you like.

I don't think you can ever buff your nails incorrectly. HTH.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:21 am      Reply with quote
How often are we supposed to use the grey buffer to remove ridges? I'd never heard that you can overbuff your nails.... I use the ridge remover about once a week and the buffer to shine every 2-3 days, is that too much?

Thanks,

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
nubajelly
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:31 am      Reply with quote
I agree with the distain for acylic nails. They messed my own nails up by making them really thin and unhealty. Plus they are hard to upkeep and really expensive.
samantha185
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:30 am      Reply with quote
*hides hands under table* I can never really be bothered about my nails. Part of the reason is that my nails are paper-thin and they tear at the edges (not chip but really tear like paper) Sad Tried NailTek and all but somehow they don't really work - may harden my nails but will make them brittle and yellow sigh. So I resign myself to short normal nails Embarassed

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
I like French Manicure, but i cannont do it by myself very well
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
I like the French manicure look as well and tried to do it myself...it was horrible!

I've tried using the pencil to whiten under the nail, but it doesn't seem to stay very well, and the colour doesn't apply evenly for me.

Any tips?
trinigul

Wed May 09, 2007 4:03 am      Reply with quote
loved loved loved this post. can't wait to go home and try this (getting off the night shift).

thanks again.
orionomega
5% products discount

Wed May 09, 2007 9:56 pm      Reply with quote
I've buffed my nails off and on for years. I always forget how much I LOVE the buffed look - much better looking than clear polish. A cleaner, natural look but a glassy shine too! I'm using a Tweezerman buffer currently.

Tonight I'm experimenting with bare buffed nails but tipping them with a very thin band of "Sheer Sugar" polish since the undersides of my nails pick up dirt like crazy. Hoping the tipping will keep them looking pristine.

So far the effect is really natural - the Sheer Sugar isn't like a bright opaque "Wite-Out" white. We'll see if it lasts a day without any topcoat on it!

I've tried to use the white pencil on a number of occasions but it doesn't take well on me. I wish it did. It washes right out when I wash my hands.
Harmonster
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2007 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
The Sally Hansen white pencil is very cheap but you should keep it in your purse because it can wear off after a couple washings. I saw an Isadora one at Walgreens for $7, and I can't find any reviews for it on MUA... wondering if it might stick a little longer. If I try it I'll let you know.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2007 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
I tried the Sally Hansen pencil a few years ago but I wasn't happy with the chalky residue under my nails, they felt unclean! These days I just shape, buff and one coat of Sally Hansen Tough as Nails.
charis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2007 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
So glad there are others who aren't into long fake acrylic nails. I think they look awful, but so many women I know are really into them. I had recently bought that sally hansen white pencil- I think I'll get it out and try it!
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2007 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
Pencil for nails - that's new to me Razz I had a french manicure set by Sally Hansen and I did find the white tip is hard to perfect. Now I got to try the pencil. Thanks for the great tips.
charis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2007 9:56 pm      Reply with quote
OK - I got my white pencil out and used it for the first time. I love it! I can't believe I didn't use it sooner! Thanks Caspers Mum for the motivation to use it! I also buffed my nails (using dead sea spa care that makes my pathetic nails looks amazing) and cuticle oil on my cuticles and in less than 10 minutes, my nails look great! Thanks again for the motivation!!!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:42 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |