Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Botox for the Womb, Anyone?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
nyonyakay
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
This harks back to an earlier post somewhere in here about remedies for monthly cramps.

Doctors find new use for Botox
30th November 2006, 9:15 WST

A drug famed for smoothing women's wrinkles may soon be soothing their period pain too.

In a world-first trial at Sydney's Royal Hospital for Women, doctors have begun injecting Botox into the womb of women with severe and prolonged monthly cramps.

Up to 10 per cent of fertile women suffer from period pain, when the uterus contracts erratically and "fights" against itself.

Professor Thierry Vancaillie from the department of endo-gynaecology said anecdotal evidence seems to show the toxic bacteria botulinum toxin can paralyse the region and bring relief.

"Like it works on the face, we believe if you inject Botox into the uterus it relaxes the muscles by stopping the nerves from working," Prof Vancaillie.

"It's really logical but it hasn't been tried yet which is amazing."

Botox is most widely used for cosmetic purposes but has also been shown to be effective in treating cerebral palsy, neck and facial spasms, chronic migraine, incontinence and chronic sweating.

A study by the hospital also found it could bring relief for women with general pelvic pain, prompting researchers to investigate other benefits of the drug.

The hospital is enlisting 20 women, aged 18 to 55, who are incapacitated by their periods - "the kind that are down for two days a month".

"Most women can manage pain associated with periods by using over-the-counter medication, but some women are crippled by period pain," Prof Vancaillie said.

"In many of these cases there is no medical reason for the period pain, unlike women diagnosed with endometriosis, and so existing treatments are ineffective."

In the pilot study, each woman will be mildly sedated and injected with between 100 and 200 international units of Botox.

The dose, worth between $500 and $1,000, would paralyse the lower part of the uterus for 12 to 14 weeks.

While it's too early to predict the trial's results, its success would have huge implications, he said.

"If it works, we will be able to treat this very widespread problem at the source of the pain rather than just subduing it," the researcher said.

"There are a lot of women that would love that idea, I'm sure."

The hospital will conduct a large-scale study if findings, to be presented at the end of next year, show a 60 per cent success rate.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=27&ContentID=15053
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
The timing of this article is just perfect. Rolling Eyes
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for posting nyonyakay, very interesting. Don't know what to make of it. I think its a procedure that can easily be abused. Unless its only for women with severe cramps. Think

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:43 am      Reply with quote
Every procedure can be easily abused. My main concern would be long term effects on uterine contractions for women of child bearing years who want to get pregnant in the future. Will it make labour even more difficult? Who knows. I'm lucky to never have cramps but I have a friend who is totally incapacitated one day every month, and in considerable pain for 2-3 days more. Nothing has worked to relieved her pain and believe me she's tried everthing.
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 am      Reply with quote
luckylouie wrote:
I'm lucky to never have cramps but I have a friend who is totally incapacitated one day every month, and in considerable pain for 2-3 days more. Nothing has worked to relieved her pain and believe me she's tried everthing.

has she tried Clary Sage?
alibabka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:58 am      Reply with quote
Botox is already used by some doctors in the lower abdomen, on things around the bladder, and it is used for pain in other areas like for TMJ (jaw pain/hedaches). Insurance usually doesn't cover it. maybe after there is actually more data indicating its level of effectiveness on average for this or that problem, insurance will cover it. Probably a matter of making the toxin more and more cheaply in the lab too.

I would LOVE to try this for my menstrual cramps.
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:24 am      Reply with quote
Ummmm, I think I'll pass on this one. Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:00 am      Reply with quote
I've never really suffered this way, but I know a lot of women who do and it's just miserable for them. If this was proven to help without side-effects I'm sure it could be a popular choice!
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:07 am      Reply with quote
Good thing I don't have a uterus, I would have tried it there too! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:57 am      Reply with quote
I'd do it in a instant - if it worked.
j0g6345
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
Sounds good. If it works it will be helpful. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:56 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |