Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Feed Your Face: 10 Foods for Better Skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
Feed Your Face: 10 Foods for Better Skin
You Are What You Eat

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Face Food #1: Avocadoes
You had to know we couldn’t talk about face foods without mentioning the avocado. This creamy, green fruit is abundant in essential oils and b-complex vitamins that nourish your skin inside and out. Niacin (vitamin B3) is especially important for skin health, and is found in abundance in avocadoes. As an anti-inflammatory, niacin soothes irritated skin and can calm down red, blotchy skin. One avocado has 3.8 mg niacin – 27% of your daily need.

Blend half an avocado with yogurt and frozen berries to make a tasty morning smoothie. The creamy, nutty flavor will make you seriously question why you’ve been using bananas as a thickener all these years. Plus: Keep reading for a great avocado face mask recipe that will solve your dry skin problems instantly.

Face Food #2: Mangoes

Mangoes have more than 80% of your daily requirements for vitamin A, which is why they’re such a great face food. Vitamin A maintains and repairs skin cells, which is why you’ll have a dry, flaky complexion if you’re deficient in this nutrient. As an antioxidant, vitamin A also fights free radical damage that can prematurely age the skin. And with less than 70 calories per serving, this succulent fruit is the perfect pick for your figure as well as your face.

Face Food #3: Almonds
Not only is it a great shape for your eyes, almonds are also great food for your complexion. With 150% of your daily need for vitamin E, it’s no wonder that getting a bit nutty is good for you. The rich oils in vitamin E moisturize dry skin, while the antioxidants protect against skin damage and premature aging of facial tissue.

Face Food #4: Cottage Cheese
Dairy isn’t just good for your bones, it’s great for your face, too. But it’s the selenium in cottage cheese, not the calcium, that has us really going wild for these creamy curds. Selenium, a mineral, teams up with vitamin E as a powerful free-radical fighting antioxidant. Plus, it’s been touted to protect against skin cancer and even fight dandruff.

Face Food #5: Acerola Cherries
Your average cherry doesn’t supply a significant amount of vitamin C, but don’t tell that to this particular cherry. One single Acerola cherry supplies 100% of your daily allowance for vitamin C, which is great news for your skin. As an antioxidant, vitamin C fights skin damage and wrinkles. It also plays a central role in the production of collagen, the structural protein in your skin. Ain’t life just a bowl of cherries?

Face Food #6: Oysters
Whether they’re an aphrodisiac or not, oysters are certainly in love with your skin. As a rich source of zinc, oysters may help fight acne. Since zinc plays a role in sebum production, a deficiency may contribute to acne problems. Not only can getting enough zinc in your diet help clear up acne, it can also help boost elastin production with the help of vitamin C.

Face Food #7: Baked Potatoes
Unlike the greasy French fry, a plump, steaming baked potato is actually good for your skin. One baked potato (with the skin) supplies 75% of your daily recommendation for copper. This mineral works hand-in-hand with vitamin C and zinc to produce the elastin fibers that support skin structure. Too little copper in your diet can reduce your skin’s ability to heal and cause it to become rigid and lifeless.
Face Food #8: Mushrooms
This fungi isn’t only great for shish kebabs and stir fries, it’s also rich in riboflavin, a B vitamin that’s vital to your skin. Riboflavin (vitamin B2) is involved in tissue maintenance and repair, but actually goes beyond basic skin care to improve skin blemishes caused by rosacea. This vitamin is so important for skin repair that the body will use up large amounts after sustaining a burn or wound, or undergoing surgery.

Face Food #9: Flaxseed Oil
It’s no secret that Omega-3s are great for your skin, but did you know that flaxseed oil is one of the best sources of this essential fatty acid? That’s great news if you’re not a fish-lover. Just one teaspoon of flaxseed oil per day provides 2.5 grams of Omega-3s, which in turn hydrate the skin. Essential fatty acids are also beneficial for diluting sebum and unclogging pores that can otherwise lead to acne.

Face Food #10: Wheat Germ
Don’t let the “germ” scare you – it’s actually just the embryo within a grain of wheat, meaning it’s very nutritious. Wheat germ is a good source of biotin, a B vitamin that is crucial to skin health. Biotin is so important that even a mild deficiency can actually cause dermatitis, a skin condition characterized by itchy, scaly skin. Sprinkle wheat germ on yogurt for a tasty way to get more biotin in your diet.
Slather it on!

Not only can eating all of these foods nourish healthier skin from the inside out, some make for great facial masks, too.

Try this avocado mask to instantly moisturize your skin:
1. Mash one whole avocado.
2. Add 1 tsp flaxseed oil and 1 tsp honey.
3. Mix together until smooth and creamy.
4. Apply to face and let sit for 15-20 minutes.
5. Rinse clean with warm water.

Take care of your skin by eating right and having fun with your food. Also be sure to drink plenty of water and exercise daily to flush out toxins, and don’t put toxins right back in your body! Smoking damages healthy skin and makes it more prone to wrinkles and an ashen, gray color – not pretty.

And, finally, always wear sunscreen, especially on your face, whether it’s clearly sunny out, or cloudy and gray. Buy a face moisturizer that contains an SPF of at least 15 to protect your face or wear a hat that provides shade.
j0g6345
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
Good to know. I love some of them. Thanks for sharing. Smile
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
I always forget the water, the easiest thing to do on the list.
LizaA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:29 pm      Reply with quote
what about strawberries and blueberries? Laughing I read that strawberries contain vital nutrients that helps fibroblast to promote collagen growth.
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:46 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:08 am      Reply with quote
MMMM.. Avacado shakes!!! YUMMY!

Baked potatoes..... drools. Drool

Thanks for posting. I'm really craving for some cherries!!
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:17 am      Reply with quote
I love baked potatoes! Now, if I could just resist smothering them in butter.....
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:44 am      Reply with quote
I was wondering about putting avocado in my morning shake, and I hesitated because people always say that they are fattening.. Confused

I do LOVE avocado and yoghurt as a face mask, though!
alibabka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:39 am      Reply with quote
I don't see beta carotene foods on the list -- I would have thought they were good for the skin.

I get a package of frozen winter squash and nuke it, then lightly salt it and mix it, then put curry in one corner, ginger in another corner, and some butter in another corner -- planning to try other oils with this instead of butter. I eat it and tell myself it's good for my skin. Even if it's not, it's delicious.

I would also think carrots would be regarded a good skin food, with their beta carotene or vitamin a, and their fiber even.

Are there counterarguments to these? Maybe they are good but just not as beneficial as the things that made the list above(?).

Thank you bkkgirl, for this awesome thread!
GetMyYouthBack
5% products discount

Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Bkkgirl!

You have given some awesome suggestions! I am going to try the avocado in a smoothy tonight!
Thank you!

44, 1/2 okinawan, 1/2 heinz 57 - dry skin, kind of dull in color, TOO MANY wrinkles under eyes when I smile...and puffiness or lumpy fat pads under eyes, looking for the magic pill to get my youth back
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
Great list! Thank you for sharing that. Smile
polylass
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:48 am      Reply with quote
A TV program in the UK recently said that eating lots of tomatoes has been proved to protect your skin from the damaging sun rays, so it's tomatoes with everything for me!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:18 am      Reply with quote
Polylas, the tomatoes do that probably from the licopene in them, which also is believed to protect the male prostate.

Licopene is not only an antioxidant, it is allegedly a sunscreen, although I don't know how strong. However it is very "dried-tomato-red", so you couldn't just smear it on you.

What one CAN do, in addition to eating tomatoes, is use lipocene capsules from health food stores to color one's DIY formulations. It's a strong pigment!
polylass
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:28 am      Reply with quote
Many thanks for your reply, which is extremely helpful, I can cut down a bit on the tomatoes and purchase some licopene capsules tomorrow Surprised

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:33 am      Reply with quote
Make sure to confirm from your own investigation that the lycopene is really the thing that will give you the benefit you are seeking from the tomatoes. They may have some other component that is protecting people from sun damage. I would guess the report you mentioned explained what it was in the tomatoes that was doing that.

And remember the lycopene may only be a sunscreen in full consentration. Within the body, or pigmenting cosmetics it is probably at most a powerful antioxidant.

Please check it out for your self to confirm anything I said in my response to you!
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:06 am      Reply with quote
I think TOMETO is the best for skin food.
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:10 am      Reply with quote
thanks for the info... Good stuff!
bears
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing, great list.
polylass
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:11 am      Reply with quote
Very interesting list indeed

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:03 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, bkkgirl! Good thing I like most of the stuff on the list... Very Happy

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:58 am      Reply with quote
Ohh, that's a lovely list, and very appealling to someone who does not venture out beyond her usual 4 vegetables Laughing All of that sounds yummy to me, thanks!
Ke Jiang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:08 am      Reply with quote
HAHA Thank you~~~ Laughing Laughing It would be a good reason to eat cheese
wkw1203
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:10 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:14 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |